It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Biblical god's longsuffering and patience

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
It is stated in the Bible that the god has long suffering and patience toward us. Now, it has been stated by believers of this god that he exists outside of time, that he is eternal. If this god exists outside of time, and is eternal, he would see all points in time to be the same. Everything would be occurring at the same time. If this is the case, then how does this god have long suffering and patience toward us? What would those words mean to him, an eternal being?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

I can explain this in as few words as possible.
God is made up.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Samuelis

God is made up.
Thanks for the discussion.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

God is longsuffering and patient because he allows sin to run rampant in our society nowadays, look at how out of control people are.

Which is why we are living in the days as in the days before Noah.....we are just earning judgement every day for our wicked deeds, and God will soon come back to prove to ALL humanity of His existence and the Deity of his only begotten Son Jesus the Christ....

Give it some time....it's coming.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I was actually thinking about this while I was doing lawn work today and really the best answer that I can come up with is that I don't think that I can possibly comprehend how a being of such infinite nature that exists outside of time thinks and operates.

If god has intermediaries that do his will that do exist in what we call time then I would imagine that we could accurately attribute long-suffering and patience to them
edit on 19-4-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
As an ex-fundamentalist, I would have told you it was worded that way so finite human minds that think linearly, could understand the concept of patience and forbearance.
edit on 4/19/2012 by Klassified because: punctuation

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman
It is stated in the Bible that the god has long suffering and patience toward us. Now, it has been stated by believers of this god that he exists outside of time, that he is eternal. If this god exists outside of time, and is eternal, he would see all points in time to be the same. Everything would be occurring at the same time. If this is the case, then how does this god have long suffering and patience toward us? What would those words mean to him, an eternal being?

If think Christians would claim that God created time - "In the beginning was the word and the word was with God"
Or something similar to that - A beginning denotes a time as in I am the Alpha and Omega IE The beginning and the end. Christians believe God has a plan for Mankind - Eternity is a measure of time IE Time without end.
The body we inhabit is of course limited in time to a life time - Eternity as in all God created including time is a promise of eternal life IE as a soul.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Patient? He didn't show any patience, understanding or kindness when he booted Adam and Eve out of the garden. There were no mulligans, no opportunity to say sorry and on top of that they were coerced which even we as humans understand and have laws regarding.

To kick man out of the garden and then after the fact think that maybe a second chance is deserved, if anything, shows impatience. To me the whole scenario plays out like an abusive spouse. "Dang it honey. I'm sorry. I wont do it again. You know I don't enjoy hitting you you just make so angry and jealous sometimes. Ya, know what I mean? So if you're good there'll be no problems.." You even have the I wont do it again excuse after the flood and just like an abuser he may not punch ya the next time but he'll sure kick you.

You have to remember that they also say something like10,000 years is like a day to god as well which begs the questions again is god in or out of time and why pick such an arbitrary number like that? And if 10,000 years is really only like a day then god isn't all that long suffering either.

Time is also shown to be a factor again when Jesus dies and takes 3 days to resurrect. Then you have to ask if everything exists within god and is god then is god truly existing outside of time or are we separate from god?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DetectiveT

Yeah, and where was this longsuffering patience during the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah? Why would an omnicient and omnipresent god have regrets, and decide to destroy the world by flood? And then of course there's the matter of human sacrifice, and all that.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
If you do not believe in God then how can you blame God for anything be it war famine natural disaster etc

edit on 19-4-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
If you do not believe in God then you can you blame God for anything be it war famine natural disaster etc

That doesn't make any sense. If you don't believe in god then you blame nature for natural disasters. It seems that believing in god provides blame for things such as earthquakes, violent storms and volcanoes.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

It makes sense in this way
If you mean you do not believe in God how can you blame God for the expulsion of Adam and Eve and the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah if you dont believe in the God of the bible then to you he does not exist so how can you blame him.
What you are doing is using a book you do not believe in to blame a God you do not believe in

EDIT
Sorry typo gave wrong meaning to my post here is my post corrected

If you do not believe in God then how can you blame God for anything be it war famine natural disaster etc

edit on 19-4-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

I can't quantify god. But I don't believe that god has human emotions like jealousy or regret. I do not attribute the the flood myth, if there was a global flood, to anything but nature. That's not to say that a super entity of sorts, that was named a deity by humans in awe, didn't cause havoc. For all I know, Zeus and Poseiden were real too.

It is possible. But, in my mind, if it walked upon the earth, spoke and performed actions in present time, it isn't god.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by artistpoet

I can't quantify god. But I don't believe that god has human emotions like jealousy or regret. I do not attribute the the flood myth, if there was a global flood, to anything but nature. That's not to say that a super entity of sorts, that was named a deity by humans in awe, didn't cause havoc. For all I know, Zeus and Poseiden were real too.

It is possible. But, in my mind, if it walked upon the earth, spoke and performed actions in present time, it isn't god.

I agree a God as I understand would not have emotions such anger as in "I am an angry God".
And yes I agree any global flood is an act of Nature
Yet I do believe in an Intelligent Creator - Nature being the nature of it's creator IE Universe and all contained in
Yet perhaps there are deeper reasons why Natural Disasters occur and they arenot an act of anger or impatience against Humans for example

God my typing is getting worse it is a natural disaster - think I need to sleep

edit on 19-4-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Basically He doesn't kill us on the spot when we first sin against Him.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Samuelis

God is made up.

I love arbitrariness, it make apologetics so simple. I can refute in 1 less word:

Nope He's not.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321

God is longsuffering and patient because he allows sin to run rampant in our society nowadays, look at how out of control people are.

Which is why we are living in the days as in the days before Noah.....we are just earning judgement every day for our wicked deeds, and God will soon come back to prove to ALL humanity of His existence and the Deity of his only begotten Son Jesus the Christ....

Give it some time....it's coming.

That doesn't make sense if you consider that the bible says that Jesus 'put away sin' in a single appearance, something like 2,000 years ago...and that to those that 'look for his coming' he shall appear a second time WITHOUT sin...unto salvation.

Paul says sin shall not have dominion over you, because you are under grace, not the law.
Jesus nullified the law by coming 'in the form' of sinful flesh to condemn 'sin in the flesh.'

Hebrews 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

It is appointed man once to die, and then the judgment. So if you have died with Jesus and live with Christ, you're past that judgment stuff and definitely no longer earning the wages of sin which is death.

He is only going to give himself up for sins ONE time...and it says he's already done that.

Following this line of thought, then, technically, there is no FURTHER judgment because there is not sin in the world now that Jesus took it away...he fulfilled the law by being born and then nullified it by dying...then beat death by living again.

Hebrews 10:12
But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God.

Supposedly, we aren't supposed to think about sin anymore but just 'yield' our members to GOD to do righteousness with now, since we are freed from serving sin.

Huh?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Basically He doesn't kill us on the spot when we first sin against Him.

That shouldn't be a worry anymore.

Romans 5:8-9
But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
The best we can do to try to understand the mind of God is to look to the way our lives work.

The one immutable law of the universe that applies to humans on the earth plane is that thinking creates destiny The thoughts you create become the events, occurrences, objects and accidents in your life. This law applies to individuals, families, communities, nations and the world.

However destiny must also follow laws and cannot just 'happen' any old time. It must wait for the conjunction of time, place and circumstance. Destiny may be delayed or bought on, but it cannot be stopped. It will build to a point where nothing can hold back its manifestation into physical reality.

The more it is held back and delayed, the more spectacular and attention grabbing will be the 'event' that makes its appearance on the physical plane.

Think of this analogy as the long suffering God and his ultimate delivery of humanities destiny as created by them as a direct result of their thinking.

What do you think mankind has created for himself.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Mother Nature (aka god) pays little attention to humans, unless they screw up natural balance things like the Ozone Hole and that link with the Surfur Cycle.

Or man adds sulfur and other hygroscopic releases to the atmosphere, then you see changes in the natural balances.

Generally, short of those type situations----mother nature speaks back to you and you should heed the knowledge.

Mother Nature (aka god) just doesn't have ears for human pandering. That is all a fairy tale, but it promoted issues like sacrifices on altars, tossing things in volcanos.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join