It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Argentina is likely to reinvade the Falklands once Britain drops its guard

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Argentina is likely to reinvade the Falklands once Britain drops its guard after the furore over the 30th anniversary events dies down, the former commander of British land forces has said.

In one of the starkest warnings over the islands’ future sovereignty Major Gen Julian Thompson said once the reinforced garrison and naval presence disappears at the end of this year Buenos Aires will look to repeat its 1982 action.

“The Argentines could invade and seize the Falkland Islands again,” he said in a speech to the Royal United Services Institute, the respected military think tank.

This would make an invasion “highly unlikely” this year but “in a few years time however, when the fuss has died down, and the UK’s guard is lowered, an Argentine coup de main operation to take the airfield is perfectly attainable”.

The Telegraph

I think he has a point. While the Agentine airforce is outclassed at the moment by the 4 Typhoons, in the future, if Argentina decides to spend money on its armed forces or even if it launched a suprise attack, the Falklands could be siezed.

But military analysts have suggested that a lighting Argentine special forces raid could seize the airfield with just 200 troops hiding in a civilian aircraft.

“With no airfield, reinforcing the islands by air would be impossible, as would any form of air-lifted attempt at recovering them. The only way to take them back would be an amphibious assault as in 1982,” Major Gen Thompson said.

The Telegraph

The UK needs to spend more money on defence instead of giving away billions in foreign aid.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
If the poms care so much about the people of Falklands they should give control of the island to the people that live there.

These imperialists dont want to lose their military foothole in that part of the world. They also dont want to lose all that cash they will make from the oil in the region.

I hope Argentina does invade. What right do the British have?

Imperialists.

They wont have the cash to keep it soon. And soon the BRICS will be running things and they will be for Argentina,not Britain
edit on 12-4-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
it would take alot of effort from the Argentinian military which would be picked up by British code breakers with ease and i'm sure that theres a few non nuke firing subs close enough at any point to make sure that anything flying the Argentinian flag will be dust before its probably 10% of the way to the Falkland islands and now theres billions of quids worth of oil down there i doubt we'll just let it go for free

this is more like a retired guy helping his friends still employed to stay in a job by creating work for them to do as it would take a seriously mad Argentinian to authorise a war which could probably end up costing alot of dead Argentinian people for no real gain

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Argentina -> the Falklands

China -> Taiwan

North Korea -> South Korea

Spratly Islands -> EVERYONE

Oh I think you're absolutely right...and when the major world powers get far larger things to worry about soon, the little ones will likely move fast to settle old scores and grab long coveted lands. While the cat's away, the mice will play..and the whole herd of cats will soon be VERY occupied elsewhere, I'm thinking.

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

the falkland islands are ran by the people who live there and guess what they like the way the system is run, and you cant get more democratic than that but for the anti british contingent of ATS there will always be hatred

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria

the falkland islands are ran by the people who live there and guess what they like the way the system is run, and you cant get more democratic than that but for the anti british contingent of ATS there will always be hatred

Are they going to control the oil? No. Why would they like that?

An Im not anti-British,Im anti Imperialism.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus
I hope Argentina does invade. What right do the British have?

Imperialists.

I imagine you are happy to watch other people fighting and dying in pointless wars.

I hope the Argies learnt the lesson the last time, which is that the UK doesn't take kindly to dictatorships trying to seize UK protected territory.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Its a bit of a non issue.

The situation is kept under surveillance. The force thats there renders an argentinian takeover non viable. Argentina is much weaker now militarily compared to the UK than it was in 1982.

If they start getting serious about a capability then it'll be apparent and steps will be taken to counter.

Since crazy Kirchner is intent on bankrupting her nation again I wouldn't expect any Argentinian military resurgence any time soon.

Talk of 'handing the islands back to the people that live there is' embarrassing at this point. The British people that live there are quite happy being so.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

If i am not mistaken you live in Australia. Am i correct? If so why are you living on land that was grabbed by Imperial Britain? If you mean what you say then leave Aussie and give it back to the Aboriginies. I don't think you will somehow though will you. In my country we call that hypocritical. What do you call it?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Personally I think it's insane that we "own" an island so far away from the UK and that it should be handed back. (in the same way that Hong Kong was not so long back.) But at the same time I also think what's more important than anything else is what the majority of the people on the island want. Anything else should be less important.

Why don't Argentina and the UK get together to carry out a vote of everyone on the island to decide what they want, then just shut up about it? Probably because then it'd be decided and they wouldn't be able to cause a lot of tension and make people think about yet another insanely stupid war, whilst at the same time clogging up the media with yet more garbage (not meaning the people on the islands aren't important, but that it's garbage because it's being overdone to a stupid extent, when it could be settled quickly with a vote of the islanders and then put instantly to rest.) instead of focusing on the mess they're currently making of the planet.
edit on 12-4-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
You'd think the British would be used to losing their territory by now.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

we brits gave argentina a chance to get 50% of the monies from the oil fields and the best part of it was they didn't have to do anything to recieve the cheques
so they wouldn't of done badly out of it but hey

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Argentina does not have the military capability to invade anything
And if they tried the british army would would kick there arses back to argentina

Cran

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

If i am not mistaken you live in Australia. Am i correct? If so why are you living on land that was grabbed by Imperial Britain? If you mean what you say then leave Aussie and give it back to the Aboriginies. I don't think you will somehow though will you. In my country we call that hypocritical. What do you call it?

Why do you assume Im not aboriginal?

And those people are such a small group that they have no right to self determination really. The place is nowhere near Britain. And all it is is a military outpost. Its aggressive and imperialist.

PostScript- I hate Australia because its a willing enabler of the Imperial Empire. My family happens to be hear though.

Hail China!

edit on 12-4-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria

we brits gave argentina a chance to get 50% of the monies from the oil fields and the best part of it was they didn't have to do anything to recieve the cheques
so they wouldn't of done badly out of it but hey

They dont want your bribes. They are better than that.

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

1.The islands were discovered by an Englishman and claimed in the name of her Majesty.

2.Argentina was never even a country when the islands were discovered and being inhabited.

3.The people that live there want to remain British.

4.The Falkland islands are one British territory that was never invaded or brought under imperalism in the typical way we think Britain does it.

The British have every right to those islands while it is the Argentinians who have no right there.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
You'd think the British would be used to losing their territory by now.

Am from the UK but totally agreed. It's completely mad to think of what this country has done in the past and the problems its caused all around the world. Ok, I think we've done a lot of good things too and try to be balanced, but it's hard when looking at our history. I guess you could say that what we did in WWI and WWII has done a lot to redeem some of the other things we did, but it's still not good to think about.

I'd prefer to live in Switzerland and be properly neutral.
(not sure I'd like the weather though...)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I don't think an "Aboriginal" would have a love for Adolf Hitler Re one of your previous posts. So i ask you again, why don't you leave Australia? It's not your land is it? What do you call hypocrits in Australia?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

are you sure. how many falkland islanders do you know. i doubt they like being pawns in a colonial and capitalist struggle to control oil resources in the region.

the only ones in harms way when the missiles and bullets start flying are them.

argentina is claiming as to why the british have the right to all the oil in the region a few hundred miles of their coast just because they lay a disputed claim on a rock that is part of the argentinian continental shelf.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace
Argentina does not have the military capability to invade anything
And if they tried the british army would would kick there arses back to argentina

Cran

Rome seemed unstoppable once. Next thing you know they are pulling out of Britain and telling them to look to their own defences.

America,Britain and the Imperial Empire are dying.

The BRICS rise. The BRICS are not your friend.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join