It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These Imbeciles Thought the Titanic Disaster Was Just a Movie

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I'm in the UK.

I was speaking to a university graduate who was planning to go into teaching who quite seriously asked me:

"how do you work out percentages?"

There really is no hope if this represents the cream of the academic crop.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
You've got to be kidding me... You mean to tell me that these people have not been briefed on every single historical event that YOU have? Namely one that was like a hundred years ago (or more? I don't know the exact year because I'm an "imbecile" too.) Yes, that's the most important thing going on in todays world! Every single person needs to know everything that, uh, this guy, knows! Especially when it comes to boats that sink!! Sank? Sunk? Must be the imbecile in me again... Do you have some kind of USB port in your head, so I can download and memorize all the info in your brain? I wouldn't want you to happen to come across something I wrote online and then be called am imbecile by you! I just don't know if I could live with that... I mean, I know that kids growing up today live in a completely different world than I did, but the same things that were iconic and important to me, need to be important to them, too! I don't know why, but they just do!! Or I'm gonna throw a tantrum! And I know that I come to ATS and just about every day I learn about some historical event that seems important that I didn't previously know about, but, but, that's no excuse!!! It's ok for me, but not them! Now don't you dare ask me why, because its just, um, too complicated! And you probably wouldn't understand anyway, because everyone in the world is an imbecile besides me! Especially people who haven't happened upon the same information that I have throughout my life! In fact, if you didn't live the exact same life as I did, you're pretty much retarded and don't deserve to live! Idiots! You're all a bunch of idiots!!! But not me!!! Nope, I'm smart!! I know things!!! And my horse is really "high"... Way higher than yours I bet!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Since ATS is primarily a conspiracy site, I am going to throw a fly in the ointment and take another angle on this.

We live in an age when it's slowly being revealed to us that history is not always what it seems.
There are movies that are made to look fictional that upon investigation appear to at least be based in fact. Even our news reports sometimes are proven to be falsifications. We have people claiming that events as described by official commissions into presidential assannations are not what they seem, and sometimes Hollywood just messes with us for the sake of it. Usually it's obvious what's real and what's dramatized, but I remember at least one review of pearl harbour that trashed it for being a work of pollitcal propaganda. I am not saying it is, just what critics said of it.

The point i am making is, maybe young people have become blasé as to what is history and what is Hollywood. We have become a media driven culture, which I agree could be rectified by reading more, but who's to say books are any more factual. Arguably a history book might be more accurate than the history channel, but whose history book are you gonna read. Ok so titanic is unlikely to have been censored from any modern history book, so this argument is possibly moot.

On the other hand you can take tv shows like fringe, which is from the outset fictional. The trouble is, it contains a lot of references to real events, real things that are more or less historically plausible. Sure there is a lot of complete fiction in there too. The same can be said of almost any drama or fictional story - to add realism, the authors include historical facts. There are even entire genres that are loosely termed "faction"

This raise a real issue - how much of this is intentional in terms of deliberately obfuscating facts inside fictional works for the purpose of creating plausible deniabilty, ie with a disinformation agenda.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Not in Maritime history they don't no.. are you suggesting we just focus on the "important" topics and forget about the rest?

The Titanic was a historical feat of mondern day engineering and of course on of the biggest failures of modern day engineering...

This just goes to show that people are getting lazy about their approach to learning. I am not proposing that the Titanic was more "important" than WW2 or any other major event, however, it is in itself a major event in history...

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Poor souls in the sea, the elites getting first call for the boats, everyone else having to stay for there fate.
Some drowned some froze, and the men having to stay ready for their fate.
knowing you are gonna die.men watching their loved ones and children get into the boats knowing they will never see them again. rash decisions made when built to put fewer lifeboats for the people .
mistakes for lighting the boilers before they have the chance to break in.
The amount of man power to build such a ship was phenomenal back then strong irish hands.
I live in portsmouth england 12 miles from southampton .

portsmouth royal navy, southampton cruise ships merchant

Theres a major rivalry but not today respect and all my best wishes for the loved ones lost .
it was a major thing that cruise liner early 1900s and remembered for the achievement and the disaster

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This particular brand of ignorance belongs on the other side of the pond... as the "White Star Line", the company that built the ship was in the UK.

Perhaps the reason that it's not taught anymore in their schools is because God slapped them down - or allowed an iceberg to slap them down, after that famous quote:

Not even God himself could sink this ship.
URL link

People don't like to be reminded of their humiliations.

edit on 11/4/2012 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/4/2012 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by denver22

There's still a bit of rivalry for the scummers up the road mate

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
For some of you that say it is just another wreck, are as bad as the ones that thought it was a movie.
o your research before spouting off about another wreck attitude. wot if it was your family your ancestors etc.

Its because of this disaster that alo't of ships built nowadays are safety mad.
and rules were written on things .

R.I.P

R.M.S TITANIC.. AND ALL WHO SAILED.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Just goes to show you how good our education system is here .Its really sad that teachers who only work about (7.5-8 months out of a year,have tons of sick days,insurance, tenure) want a raise when 1/2 of the students are failing and being passed because of their age or football!! and every kids who doesnt do great in school are put in a class for mentaly ill so it doesnt count against the schools score or reputation!!!

link   

Originally posted by Truth_Hz

There's still a bit of rivalry for the scummers up the road mate

i am 657 crew . i know alot of people in my city.

just paying my respects to the dead ..

link   
What would have been, and could be helpful in later versions of the movie, is a statement at the beginning or end of it which reads something like:

Movie is based on true-life events of a ship with the same name, which sank in 1912.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Most people are stupid about something......or just ignorant; depending on your definition and how you apply stupid and ignorant

My daughter-in-law once was VP for Suntrust Bank ...... I found out last year that she didn't even know we were not still on the gold standard when I remarked about the ponzi FED paper was not worth toilet paper at a family function! .....

and yes ... it floored me ......

my wife and I often disagree on the meaning of stupid and ignorant .... I use stupid as "not knowing" and ignorant as "you know better but you continue with the behavior or belief ..

I guess they are interchangable and both apply in this case!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

They still going mate? I'm Pompey born and bred but live just out of London now..

Part of the main rivalry between Portsmouth and the S.C.U.Mmers (Southampton Company Union Men) was due to the Titanics sister ship being manned by the Pompey Dockers after the Southampton lot refused to sail on her due to lack of lifeboats after the Titanic incident.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
i manged to stumble upon something here guys a book written years before the titanic

the book tells about a cruise liner whose name was SS TITAN with eerie similar

consequences WTF.

Futility, or the Wreck of the Titan
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
"The Wreck of the Titan" redirects here. For the Doctor Who audio drama, see The Wreck of the Titan (audio drama).

Futility, or the Wreck of the Titan is an 1898 novella written by Morgan Robertson. The story features the ocean liner Titan, which sinks in the North Atlantic after striking an iceberg. The Titan and its sinking have been noted to be very similar to the real-life passenger ship RMS Titanic, which sank fourteen years later.

The first half of Futility introduces the hero, John Rowland. Rowland is a disgraced former US Navy officer, who is now an alcoholic and has fallen to the lowest levels of society. Dismissed from the Navy, he is working as a deckhand on the Titan. The ship hits the iceberg, capsizing and sinking somewhat before the halfway point of the novel. The second half follows Rowland, as he saves the young daughter of a former lover by jumping onto the iceberg with her. After a number of adventures, in which he fights a polar bear (suffering permanent physical disability due to wounds sustained in the fight) and finds a lifeboat washed up on the iceberg, he is eventually rescued by a passing ship, overcomes his addiction and, over several years, works his way up to a lucrative Government job restoring his former income and position in society. In the closing lines of the story he receives a message from his former lover, pleading for him to visit her and her daughter.
Contents
[hide]

[edit] Similarities to the Titanic

Although the novel was written before the Olympic-class Titanic had even been designed, there are some remarkable similarities between the fictional and real-life counterparts. Like the Titanic, the fictional ship sank in April in the North Atlantic, and there were not enough lifeboats for the passengers. There are also similarities between the size (800 ft long for Titan versus 882 ft 9 in long for the Titanic[1]), speed (25 knots for Titan, 21 knots for Titanic[2]) and life-saving equipment.

Beyond the name, the similarities between the Titanic and the fictional Titan include:[original research?]

Described as "unsinkable"
The Titanic was the world's largest luxury liner (882 feet, displacing 63,000 long tons), and was once described as being practically "unsinkable".
The Titan was the largest craft afloat and the greatest of the works of men (800 feet, displacing 75,000 tons), and was considered "unsinkable".
Shortage of lifeboats
The Titanic carried only 16 lifeboats, plus 4 Engelhardt folding lifeboats,[3] less than half the number required for her passenger capacity of 3000.
The Titan carried "as few as the law allowed", 24 lifeboats, less than half needed for her 3000 capacity.
Struck an iceberg
Moving too fast at 22½ knots,[citation needed] the Titanic struck an iceberg on the starboard side on the night of April 14, 1912 in the North Atlantic 400 miles away from Newfoundland.
Also on an April night, in the North Atlantic 400 miles from Newfoundland (Terranova), the Titan hit an iceberg while traveling at 25 knots, also on the starboard side.
Sinking
The unsinkable Titanic sank, and more than half of her 2200 passengers died.
The indestructible Titan also sank, more than half of her 2500 passengers drowning.
Went down bow first, the Titan actually capsizing before it sank.

[edit] Popular culture

Walter Lord's 1955 nonfiction account of the Titanic disaster, A Night to Remember, opens with a brief description of Robertson's novella and the similarities between the actual and fictional ships.
A copy of Futility can be seen in the apartment at the beginning of the PC game Titanic: Adventure Out of Time. The obituary of a Titanic passenger is used as a bookmark.
Similarities between the Titan and the Titanic were mentioned at the end of the episode 'Night of April 14' in the TV series One Step Beyond.[4] The narrator, however, makes a number of errors in his comparison. He claims, for example, that the Titan, like the Titanic, sank on her maiden voyage. This is untrue.
A dramatisation of what led the author to write it and detailing the similarities between the events in the book and the Titanic disaster were shown in an episode of Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction.
Alan Moore's graphic novel The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen[5], set in 1898, makes a passing reference to the Titan Relief Fund.
The Doctor Who audio play The Wreck of the Titan, released by Big Finish Productions in May 2010, is partly inspired by this novella, and features the characters of

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

I actually know someone who was told at school in the far east,that dinosaur bones were forged and buried "a hundred years ago"by our ancestors,to trick us in the future.

edit on 10/4/2012 by Silcone Synapse because: (no reason given)

Hey I know some people from eastern Tennessee too.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   

weird facts about the titanic and a book predicting something similar.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I cannot think of any reasons why teaching or knowing about the titanic is particularly important or relevant. Why do people need to know about the Titanic? It was just a ship wreck, 100 years ago. A lot of people died. We should learn from history to avoid repeating it... but really, a ship wreck 100 years ago is relevant? Really? Why!? After some deliberation I actually find it bizarre that knowing about a ship wreck that occurred 100 years ago is considered by some to be required knowledge even though it has practically no implications to our life.

Furthermore there are many more modern and relevant historical events that are not taught that actually are relevant. I'm betting most people in this thread do not know about the Banqiao Dam collapse in 1975. 171,000 people died because of a poorly engineered and operated dam which failed, drowning thousands and causing a famine. That makes it as bad as about 19 Chernobyl's. It's amusing that most people who hate nuclear power because of Chernobyl haven't heard of the worlds largest (renewable) energy disaster which was 19 times larger in terms of people killed. Very important event IMHO, and people should know about it.

Actually I'm betting most of the smug smart-asses in this thread who think they are better than everyone else do not know about the Banqiao Dam collapse. Looking down at people for not knowing about the Titanic would be like me looking down on other people for not knowing about the Banqiao Dam collapse, how to design rudimentary state machines, or how to do things like vector calculus. All are more relevant than the freaking Titanic. But I don't. Because I expect that I'll know things that other people don't and they'll know things that I don't. That's life.

Actually the most disturbing part of this thread is that it proves that many members are simply narcissists who think they are smarter than everyone else.
edit on 11/4/12 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Juston

And you can bet if these are registered voters they voted for Obama too...lol

Growing up as a child my next door neighbors were immigrants from Hungary, they had booked and paid for passage on the Titanic but were 'bumped' minutes before boarding ship and had to take another ship days later. Seems that if you were one of the 'rich and famous' you could do this. Anyway it was a lucky break for them and they were great people.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Juston

Oh for goodness sakes. I wouldn't have believed it if you hadn't shown that capture. I know we have teenagers and 20 somethings that lack the intelligence God gave the common goose, but THIS one takes the cake., no question. Heck.. It comes back for seconds and eats someone else's cake at the same time!

You know.. there are some moments in life where something is learned for the first time and the knowledge is SO overdue and self evident, one just doesn't TELL ANYONE it came as a news flash. This would rank #1 on the list. If you JUST LEARNED The RMS Titanic was a real ship and not just a Hollywood creation for a cool movie..umm.. wow.. ya really want to tell the entire world? LOL........

Ignorance Denied is a beautiful thing to see. The level of ignorance requiring a solution is scary.

does this scare you wrabbit

edit on 11-4-2012 by repeatoffender because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join