It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These Imbeciles Thought the Titanic Disaster Was Just a Movie

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I like how one of them uses #Mindblown as if some shocking new earth shattering revelation has happened. On the one hand I thought it was rather funny at first but on the other I began to think it was sad. Honestly should the Titanic in some way be incorporated into History? At least I remember being taught it didn't something happen slowly to alter the lessons taught? If not either of those two they have to be joking ._.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Nothing of this nature surprises me....

Ignorance is a state of mind that is massive and not only in the last couple of years.

I was in the US for a couple of years when I was young (1983-1988), and I still remember in 7th grade (jr High) History class for some reason the subject came up of how many states where in the US and less than 50% of the class new... one of the students said 18!!! True story...

Here in Chile most of the younger generation don't even care to learn anything that isn't on TV or important to their everyday life....

I think most of us here at ATS will find this sad because our motto is: Deny Ignorance.

anyway, S+F.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Things like this make you realize where this generation gets their information. Movies, social sites, TV. The sad part is, they believe what they're told, no matter how outrageous. I've had my kids come home and tell me things they've heard at school that make me facepalm and shake my head.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I like how one of them uses #Mindblown as if some shocking new earth shattering revelation has happened..

... it's called SARCASM people! Holy crap... it's as if some of you have only been on the Internet for a week. I see this level of sarcasm every day on forums. I'm more stunned that many of you actually believe all these people actually are not aware the Titanic was a real ship, than that one person probably didn't really know.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Juston

I have to say, by starting this thread you actually sound more ignorant than these kids. They were probably very young when the movie came out and when it did, how would they know it was based on a real event? There is so much else out there to occupy the minds of children than the story of the titanic. If they were never exposed to the real story how would you expect them to know about it? You're not born with knowledge....so to call them "imbeciles" for being ignorant to a historical event is downright pointless. I think it says more about you than about them.
edit on 11-4-2012 by seberhar because: spelling error

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by seberhar
They were probably very young when the movie came out and when it did, how would they know it was based on a real event?

I was a teenager when Apollo 13 came out. Would it have been excusable for me to assume at the time that it was a fiction story?

Originally posted by seberhar
so to call them "imbeciles" for being ignorant to a historical event is downright pointless. I think it says more about you than about them.

Why attack me? I never called them imbeciles. I simply used the original title of the source article as the O.P headline, as many are apt to do here on ATS.

To everyone else who would like to assume this as an attack on a select few people, or an ego trip, I'd like you to read what I wrote in the OP, and what other members have posted throughout. It's not just not knowing that the Titanic was real, it's about the general desire to learn amongst the general youth. Is it all inclusive? Of course not. As it's been pointed out, there are numerous young people who take to learning things on their own accord. However, I feel that it can easily be argued that the focus has shifted from learning to not questioning and general apahty.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
They never learned that the Titanic was a real ship that actually sank, because public schools are too busy teaching things like civics and the constitution.

/sarcasm

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Yea I didn't realize it was just the title of the article. I thought you called them this. So for that I retract what I said. I just think it's mean spirited to call these kids out for something, when you really think about it, is completely understandable. But yes I agree, it is very indicative of the general apathy younger generations have towards learning about things that actually matter.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
Look at this thread. You people are far too self righteous.

Also, it is clearly obvious most were joking.

"OMG the titanic was real???" Seriously, cant you guys understand sarcasm?

They might be too old...

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit

I like how one of them uses #Mindblown as if some shocking new earth shattering revelation has happened..

... it's called SARCASM people! Holy crap... it's as if some of you have only been on the Internet for a week. I see this level of sarcasm every day on forums. I'm more stunned that many of you actually believe all these people actually are not aware the Titanic was a real ship, than that one person probably didn't really know.

Why do you pick that out of my post but not this part?

If not either of those two they have to be joking ._.

I had some indication of it possibly being a joking; but first wanted to speak my .02 on my nice soapbox.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I saw this same thing on reddit yesterday ( yes, Ladies and Gentleman,I am a redditor).

All I could think of to say was, I bet these people who just figured out that the Titanic was real, now think that Jack and rose were real people too. Nobody tell them that Apollo 13 was a true story! Their head might explode!

Every now and then I hear of something like this and it makes me wonder how some one could not know this. I wonder how long it will be before they figure out the world is round.

Joking aside, I think this says a lot about our current education system. This education system needs to be rebuilt, because it is broken.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit

I've actually met people out there who did not know that the Titanic was real....

Were the people in the OP's link being sarcastic? Maybe...But there really are people out there that dumb.
edit on 11-4-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Bwhahahahahah, I cannot believe this I am going to ask my niece if the titanic was real (One is in elementary the other in middle school)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I'll add something else here, as well.

Why do people think that it is idiotic to assume a] that the sinking of the Titanic was not real, but that b] the WTC incident was? What direct, personal proof do any of you have for believing in either?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

Why do people think that it is idiotic to assume a] that the sinking of the Titanic was not real, but that b] the WTC incident was? What direct, personal proof do any of you have for believing in either?

Because the mounds from the bodies that washed up are currently sitting in Ireland. They have even been separated into those who were Catholic, and those who were not.

Care to have a look?
edit on CWednesdaypm444415f15America/Chicago11 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
On another note, I noticed that everyone is receiving stars except for those who disagree with OP.

Coincidence?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I wonder how many also knew that there were approximately 600 anti- FED people on that cruise, all wiped out in a single "incident".

Details, details.

Also,

OMG, the Hindenburg was real?!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

These people the OP are talking about don't think the Titanic was fake or a hoax. They just did not realize that it was anything more than a fictional movie.

That is the difference between the people the OP is talking about and people who think the WTC attack was staged/hoaxed.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join