It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These Imbeciles Thought the Titanic Disaster Was Just a Movie

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
ha ha ha ! that IS funnyyyyyyyyy!!!

i knew a girl,who,when was boiling water for pasta, i told her to put some salt in the water to make the water boil faster.
to my surprise,she came back with ' oh thats just an old wives tale'!!!!!
i was speechless! as i picked up my jaw from the floor and shook my head at the impossible stupidity of this comment,a i asked her if she ever took science in school! i told her it reduces the boiling state of water.
she still didnt believe me,so i had to bring her out side in the winter and put some table salt on a patch of ice.
as she watched the salt slowly melt the ice,she said 'oh, in ever really knew that'!!!

any way i felt like a 4th grade science teacher with a 35 year old adult!

a lot of people are dumb and or ignorant. get use to it!!!

Actually, salt raises the boiling point of water. Salt would effectively slow down the boiling process, but allow it to boil at a higher temperature.

You are right about the ice though. Salt lowers the melting point also.

And, to the OP, I'm not surprised one bit. People are becoming increasingly ignorant with each passing day.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barbacamanitu

i knew a girl,who,when was boiling water for pasta, i told her to put some salt in the water to make the water boil faster.
i was speechless! as i picked up my jaw from the floor and shook my head at the impossible stupidity of this comment,a i asked her if she ever took science in school! i told her it reduces the boiling state of water.
she still didnt believe me,so i had to bring her out side in the winter and put some table salt on a patch of ice.
as she watched the salt slowly melt the ice,she said 'oh, in ever really knew that'!!!

Actually, salt raises the boiling point of water. Salt would effectively slow down the boiling process, but allow it to boil at a higher temperature.

And, to the OP, I'm not surprised one bit. People are becoming increasingly ignorant with each passing day.

The problem is people like the poster inside your post. They truly believe themselves to be smart when they are not. Incompetent people are too ignorant to be aware of their incompetence sort of deal. Which is why it was said that the wisest man is the one who knows he knows nothing at all.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath
There's always someone. I remember back when I was maybe 8 or 9 years old, not long after Reagan became President, some news program did those man on the street interviews with people and asked who the President was and got tons of "I don't know" and "uhhhhhh, isn't it, like that Kennedy guy" type of responses.

This is nothing new, sadly. It's just that only 50% of the people can have an average or above average intelligence -- and intelligence tends to track with basic intellectual curiosity and thus general knowledge about things.

True as Oscar Wilde said - "50% of us are in the intellectual gutter
but we are gazing up at the stars ......on X Factor"

By the way who was president when Reagan was in power

edit on 10-4-2012 by artistpoet because: typo cos i am an imbecile

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I remember when I was in middle school, the titanic was one of my favorite subjects. We all had to write up something about it. I cannot believe it. This is common basic knowledge for any middle schooler when I was in school. What are they teaching these fools these days!!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Re OP: "It seems lately that the masses believe the fiction while seeing the facts as fantasy."

Am I the only one to feel like those tweets prove the opposite? While the Titanic was a real ship, the film is a work of fiction, loosely based on true events. I sure hope the kids of today wouldn't be assuming a film is real without doing proper research first.

On another note, the user pics of those tweets all look like youngins. It's silly to be horrified at the idea of a kid not yet finding out about an event that happened long before they were born. On top of that, I think there are many important historical events for our youth to be informed about, but I don't see why the Titanic would be of utmost importance for them to know about.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
my 7 year old daughter loves reading and came home with a book about the Titanic.She also wanted to see a Tv show about the Titanic. This is when I told her her great great Granddad was a Carpenter and worked on the Titanic. I find it funny how she got into the Titanic.As for those others kids I wouldn't doubt it that they didn't know. They have the attention span of a gnat and the school curriculum is not that great.I didn't like history when I was in school. All I remember it was about the of the British Royal family from Henry 8th on ward and the wars in between. I was bored in school. The funny thing is I am into history now but it is what I want to read about.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Im 24 now but I knew it was real when I was what....like 9 or 10 years old. It amazes me how dumb most people are. I bet they know all about jersey shore and other shows but dont know $h!t about history. I love history, and like people always say history repeats itself.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
haha! that's awful!

But if you think this is bad, wait til you hear about the people who thought the Moon Landing was only a movie!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Orderamongchaos

The problem is people like the poster inside your post. They truly believe themselves to be smart when they are not. Incompetent people are too ignorant to be aware of their incompetence sort of deal. Which is why it was said that the wisest man is the one who knows he knows nothing at all.

Very well said. I believe Socrates is the one who originally said that, right?

And, I'm not sure if you knew this already, but this is called the God Complex, at least according to this Ted talk.
God Complex

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I just hope that people reading this do not feel better about themselves because some one else does not know something that they do. Honestly WHO CARES? The Titanic sinking was something that occurred a long time ago, 1912 to be exact, and unless you are connected in some way to that event you would have no reason to give a flying you know what about the titanic. It is just an event that occurred in history, a factoid. WHO CARES? People are not stupid, people have a ton of potential and just because a young person has not been informed about something that happened one hundred years ago does not make them stupid. People care about things that matter to them or interest them, and I understand if people do not care about the Titanic. All the people that feel superior to these young people that have not been informed about a boat that sank 100 years ago, shame on you.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
This isn't fair. I'm fifty and of course I should know the Titanic was real, but I didn't grow up
with the plethora of media distractions we have today.

A story like the Titantic was romantic and eerie back in the day, but even back then it wasn't
an important story in my childhood. As a bonafide conspiracy theorist now, It becomes even more
romantic and eerie because of the possible conspiracy ties to "the fed".

But nowadays, for youngsters, this story amounts to little more than an Aesop-like fable with
a moral tagline of !being careful of too much arrogance and pride! more than anything else.

I'm more concerned when adults are clueless about important history....
the kind that REPEATS itself

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

Not quite, adding salt to water raises the boiling point, so technically the salted water would boil slower. As for the ice, the salt lowers the freezing point, so at the same temperature the ice melts. That's why when making homemade ice cream, salt is added to the ice cream freezer.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Give those kids a break. Its a crazy world out there with huge amounts of information and stimula. It takes time to even scratch the surface of basic knowledge.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ahamarlin

Please tell me you're kidding? We had the same knowledge but had to find it out the hard way. These kids have the ability to access this knowledge faster than the speed of light and they're dumber than a bag of bricks.

It's what they choose to learn. They learn USELESS facts (by choice), which is why they're morons.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I am stunned I thought it was common knowledge.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Orderamongchaos

Very well said. I believe Socrates is the one who originally said that, right?

And, I'm not sure if you knew this already, but this is called the God Complex, at least according to this Ted talk.
God Complex

Yes, it was Socrates who is known for that statement. Thanks for the video, Ted talks are always an interesting watch. I have the God Complex sometimes, unfortunately. I want to believe that in a way, it is unavoidable, but would that be having a God Complex regarding the God Complex?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I am not at all surprised. I saw this video recently m.youtube.com...
my head almost exploded.
edit on 11-4-2012 by sickofitall2012 because: Change link

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I just sigh, and shake my head.. So sad..

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Juston

whats going on ?ever noticed the young ppl not being interested in school or education, "" i will get welfare and dont need to learn anything"" or "" my dad has money i wil live of of that"" ppl are getting more stupid every minute of the day, just look at a movie called "" god bless america "" it will open up your eyes ( movie about a guy and a young girl going on a killingspree, but the plot behind it, decency (or however its spelled) and whats wrong with ppl these days, (in short its a good movie) )

greets,

pheniks

edit on 11-4-2012 by pheniks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Not true at all. I'm young and I'm very interested in History - just not the kind of History that I don't care like the Titanic (though I knew it was real...). I want interesting & important History not just bull# nobody cares about. I don't think History is important at all, maybe the real important events, but not a ship that sunk 100 years ago. Who cares??? There are more important things.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join