It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These Imbeciles Thought the Titanic Disaster Was Just a Movie

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
On another note, I noticed that everyone is receiving stars except for those who disagree with OP.

Coincidence?

Yeah, It's a coincidence. Considering stars are given out by your fellow members.It seems the consensus in this thread is right in line with the OP, so naturally, posts that are in agreement with the OP are more likely to get a star than one that goes against the OP.

Fairly common place around here, but I do see stars for posts that go against the OP, quite often.

That said, I gave you a star

Peace and love.

edit on 11-4-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

lol @ you thinking the education system should teach about the Titanic. If anything spend more time on IMPORTANT events. Out of all the things a history class should teach the Titanic would be at the very bottom.

I'm 20 so the main reason I probably even know about the Titanic is because of the 1997 movie. I don't remember it being taught in school, nor really see why it even should be.

edit on 11-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

It is worth mentioning. The sinking of the ship contributed to new safety regulations that have undoubtedly saved lives. It also brought about an international iceberg tracking association that has been a boon to the Atlantic shipping lanes. It also a fine study of human arrogance considering the many errors that were involved in her sinking. My favorite one is the captain traveling at unsafe speed to make a record run. It was an important event.

So, yes. Two or three paragraphs summing up the situation is all that need be mentioned. I think forcing school kids to take a test or make a report on the Titanic is a bit much, but it is worth mentioning.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Wil someone please inform them that 911 was real as well?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
Look at this thread. You people are far too self righteous.

Also, it is clearly obvious most were joking.

"OMG the titanic was real???" Seriously, cant you guys understand sarcasm?

Well put sir. Idiocracy is budding and fermenting nicely

edit on 11-4-2012 by dl2oneThe2nd because: omg 11 pages? lol

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
ha ha ha ! that IS funnyyyyyyyyy!!!

i knew a girl,who,when was boiling water for pasta, i told her to put some salt in the water to make the water boil faster.
to my surprise,she came back with ' oh thats just an old wives tale'!!!!!
i was speechless! as i picked up my jaw from the floor and shook my head at the impossible stupidity of this comment,a i asked her if she ever took science in school! i told her it reduces the boiling state of water.
she still didnt believe me,so i had to bring her out side in the winter and put some table salt on a patch of ice.
as she watched the salt slowly melt the ice,she said 'oh, in ever really knew that'!!!

any way i felt like a 4th grade science teacher with a 35 year old adult!

a lot of people are dumb and or ignorant. get use to it!!!

Don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet or not, but salt actually raises the boiling point of water. It lowers the freezing point, and that's why it melts ice. You shouldn't be talking about how stupid people are if you don't know that yourself.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Here's an idea. All of you smart Titanic historians go have a conversation with Stephen Hawking, or any other well known intellectual. And then watch how Stephen Hawking updates his Facebook because he can't believe how dense people are ........oh ya, adults dont do that, or do they? :-)

edit on 11-4-2012 by dl2oneThe2nd because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkJS
This particular brand of ignorance belongs on the other side of the pond... as the "White Star Line", the company that built the ship was in the UK.

Perhaps the reason that it's not taught anymore in their schools is because God slapped them down - or allowed an iceberg to slap them down, after that famous quote:

Not even God himself could sink this ship.
URL link

People don't like to be reminded of their humiliations.

edit on 11/4/2012 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/4/2012 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

That's one way of looking at it!... God sunk the Titanic. Of course he did

Why is there always some idiot saying that it's gods vengence if something bad happens??

And if you are from 'the other side of the pond' as you put it, it's not something that needs to be taught at school as most people learn of this disaster at quite an early age.

And do you really believe that your side of the pond has suffered no humiliations???
Really??
Go on think about it..... anything yet??
There must be something.............................................

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Some people need to get off of Facebook and join the rest of the world...

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

this sounds like a success story to me..

"We shall know that our dis­in­for­ma­tion cam­paign was suc­cess­ful when EVERYTHING that the Amer­i­can pub­lic knows is FALSE." - William Casey, CIA DIRECTOR: 1981 - 1987

merely have propaganda transfer directly from the parents along with various academic venues.. all authoritarian figures anchor disinformation within society..

mix in some redundant fake pop culture shows that mimic real life now.. real life watching fake real life imitating real life perceptions & trends not just to acquire fake fiat $$ but to captivate the mind itself sending it spinning of deeper into the rabbit hole..

subliminal beats across the tightly controlled radio waves.. music soothes the masses

nonstop mindless messages repeated relentlessly on all media broadcasts every 15 minutes apart broken into 30sec chunks of even further mental flotsam & jetsam..

along with the subconscious giant sized American fantasy land that is Hollywood. Brightly flickering within every town across America..

then the web? all manner of technology? fluoride in everything at 1% NOT 1 ppm..

given all that I do understand why a teenager today could be resonantly lost within the b$...

and not even know the titanic was real.. let alone had the major money that opposed the League of Nations on board..

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Like I said in the "Hogwarts is real" thread, they make people believe that if its in a movie, it must be fake.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
some people forgot a 100 year tragic event.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
What has really been lost is intellectual curiosity...the desire to understand. I have a 13 year old grandson that knows the Titanic was real because he listens, learns, absorbs and is curious to understand (and goes to a PS). Unfortunately too many children are so absorbed in the everyday stimulus that overwhelms them today that they seem more concerned about the immediate than trying to understand the "how and why" of things. But they are not the only ones...it stems from their parents or adult role models.

We live in an American society that mocks or derides "intellectuals" as elite and praise the simpler as more "down to earth" simply because most want to feel equal to others in knowledge and wisdom. We underpay our lower level teachers and then criticize them when they give us our money's worth. But I digress.

There are many students and adults, young and old, that know very little about things that many of us here on ATS take for granted and the knowledge of the reality of the Titanic is one of them. The ones in here that did not know would never admit it anyway. But ignorance is rampant and seems to be creeping ever so slowly into nearly all realms of our lives. I am not some geezer that always thinks their generation was the greatest or that the young ones are going to wreck everything. But I do know that the old-fashioned "book smarts" is being lost like the sand of an eroding beach.

I think too many are waiting for someone to tell them what to think (lazy) rather than gaining the insight to do it for themselves (desire).

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
In this thread's vid some folks are not sure who's Hitler. www.abovetopsecret.com...
Like: "Some actor?"

This is not going to end well...

(Yeah I know not all Americans are that silly and that silly people are everywhere)
edit on 11/4/2012 by PapagiorgioCZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

OMG That is so disgusting!! WHY are people so IGNORANT!!???? The Titanic is such a REAL tragedy..... Many died.... what are they learning in school??? Obviously not history.........

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Of course not, sex education is much more important,
reply to post by Stormdancer777

By the sheer numbers unwanted teen pregnancies and plethora of teen mothers, I say sex education is also a big fat FAIL.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Shake your head in sadness. I honestly don't know what is going on either. Is something being done to people now with the food, in the hospitals when they are born, or maybe the electronics? I swear the collective IQ is going down.

When I was in my 20s, I actually was aware of some actors, movies, musicians, songs, etc. that were from before my time. I actually remembered a little of my history. I knew what the Titanic was. It is just unreal.

Oh, by the way. I was reading MSM headlines before I came over here. One of the articles was titled "Who is Charles Manson, find out more... ". Can you believe it?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I can remember reading "a night to remember" (true Titanic book) back in grade school. I even purchased the book later on in my 20's from a used book store. Great book by the way. Anyway, the nutcases who run the education system are making sure that kids these days are only being taught diversity, hating America and revisionist history. This is pathetic, but expected. I pretty much believe that 75% of the people on this planet are morons, give or take a few percentages. Don't you see them all in their cars while drivng. $heopleNation

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Here in Chile most of the younger generation don't even care to learn anything that isn't on TV or important to their everyday life....

I think most of us here at ATS will find this sad because our motto is: Deny Ignorance.

anyway, S+F.

you are right about that one....

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truth_Hz
reply to post by denver22

They still going mate? I'm Pompey born and bred but live just out of London now..

Part of the main rivalry between Portsmouth and the S.C.U.Mmers (Southampton Company Union Men) was due to the Titanics sister ship being manned by the Pompey Dockers after the Southampton lot refused to sail on her due to lack of lifeboats after the Titanic incident.

same here im portsmouth born and bred and we even know of the dock strike to do with the titanic sister ship.

in portsmouth where henry the 8th, mary rose, the victory and the heart of the navy....

we even know england gave independence to the united states.

they must be dumbing down people feeding them facebooks and the likes.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
not everyone is interested in history, and that's ok. there are plenty of dedicated scholars to make up for it. (so spare me the "those who forget....quote) my wife is a very intelligent woman, but is completely (willfully I say) ignorant to politics

we were discussing Iran recently, and the nuke programs. I told the the US doesn't want Iran to have to bomb, because the US won't be able to just invade them in a matter of a week after that

she looked puzzled

she asks

"does the US have the bomb?"

I almost fell out of my chair

but like I said in her arena, in her interest area's, she is known as the "go to"person

nobody knows everything about everything

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join