It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dude, Quit Telling Me You Are Broke!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Foxy1
there are people out there flipping burgers with college degrees because of the lack of jobs right now. I saw a little old man in a buisness suit standing on a corner holding a sign in white cotton gloves that said "looking for a job" 2 weeks ago

the reason I saw him was because I came from applying at 3 stores who turned me away and told me to go apply online, 2 of the 3 I allready had applied online for.

So what? When you get a degree in Art...WTF are you expecting to do in life? Surveys say most Americans are trying to get degrees in jobs they want to do. Not what pays. Like stated in previous posts. Triple figure jobs in Afghan right now driving flatbeds. How is that not a good paying job? So what you have to make sacrifices but thats part of having responsibilities.

My advice to America. Grow the freak up.

I have had 6 jobs in the past 7 years. I quit them all because I could because I strive at doing my job well, so when I do get a new job. People hire me. I sold $24,000 worth of merchandise in one month. 15 grand in one weekend. I was given an award for best salesman of the quarter. Starting getting treated wrong...left. Went to UPS making bank for less than 25 hours a week. Could have had a second job on top of that and make even more bank. My bosses wanted me to work the morning shift and the evening shift because I was a great worker. Plus I drove the brown vans and night. Qualified for driver and started pay would have been $55,000 a year for 8 hour shifts. Health care for part timers and a 401K. Left that job because of the amount of unprofessionalism. Got a job at Michael's as a Framer. Became certified. Had the manager job offered to me. Turned it down and joined the military. Now I make more than any of those jobs but my resume is through the roof. 5 more years in my job and I can get a job with the CIA. I can also get hired with the Royal Australian Air Force doing my same job and get paid more. The jobs are out there. They are just not for the lazy turds. Like majority of ATS.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by johngrissom

Yes, I have internet, cable, and both my fiance and I have cell phones. We have a mortgage and a life not built on the benefits of military.
I can see where you are coming from, being a young individual with no world experience outside of the military, but sadly there are expenses that come into play owning your own business that you do not comprehend.
Am I asking for government support? No. Am I saying life in unfair? No (Inherently life is unfair, but whatever we all forge our own destiny).

Struggling within this society, may be more appropriate, than struggling. Nevertheless, there is still a stark contrast to my financial situation and ability to easily survive since I started working in 1994.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ameilia
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

It proves you wrong simply for the fact that the money is not there any longer.

If the money isn't there any more, how'd you make 10k then? You obviously did something right, you found work. There is money for those bound and determined to find it! Maybe not as much as you want, but you GOT PAID FOR WORK. Unlike the people I am talking about (which I'll say again, isn't you) who want to get paid, or get handouts, while sitting on their butts complaining & doing nothing to generate an income for their family!

The money's there because I've been here working for longer than I've been an adult, and have some gigs that haven't gone bankrupt yet. And the companies I used to work for still hire me part time, because they can get my talents cheaper for an hourly labor cost, than a full time supervisor/labor cost.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme

Originally posted by johngrissom

reply to post by Ameilia

I will give you a for instance to prove you wrong.
Back in 2004 I was able to make over $20,000 working (laboring) 3 months of the year and playing drums for a church every Sunday.
Now I can not make my (cheap) labor price of $50 an hour as an independent contractor.
I'm lucky to get paid $300 for what was a $2500 job back then. Or not work.

I prefer to work as an independent contractor. So I do not get to collect unemployment, but get to make $10,000 for the year. As opposed to a potential of $80,000 depending on the year.

But yes, that's totally my fault for having an additional 8 years of experience.

None of what you say makes any sense. There are plenty of jobs that pay triple figures without a degree. You are just freakin lazy BRO. Dont lie either because I can tell. For example, you can get a job to work in Afghan driving flatbeds to help with my job in the military as a civilian. YOU CAN DO IT AS LONG AS YOU WANT! Plus not to mention how many government jobs are still open! Ignorance is a disease that plagues Americans. Just the other day when I was playing Call Of Duty...some idiot on there was bragging that unemployment benefits were better than his job was. Then he continued to brag on how he was never going to get a job because unemployment was better. See the ignorance and laziness.

"I prefer to work as an independent contractor." Lazy statement because you set your own hours.

Thank you for pointing out how lazy I am, please U2U me with the contacts to show me how I can get these triple figure ($100?) jobs you claim driving flatbeds. As much as it would pain me to leave my fiancee for a year, I will put my career on hold in interest of providing for my family.
I'm so lazy I got laid off from a $700 a week (60+ hour) salaried position because the company "could not afford me."
I wish I could have the time to play video games while working.
Welcome to reality son. You'll be here soon enough.

"Welcome to reality son. You'll be here soon enough."

Really? Im in the military non smart one. I just got off 12 hour shifts on 5 day work weeks, sometimes 14 day work weeks with no comp days. I have spent more time away from home supporting the war front and world disasters. While you complain about not being able to work on the internet while complaining that you struggle. Turn off your damn internet if you are "struggling." HOLY CRAP...I cant believe you're trying to troll me when you still have luxury's...jabronie. Part of having a family is being able to support that family. You might as well dump your crappy job because waiter's get paid more than you and get more hours but no you are struggling.

You have no justification at where your at. You aint married...probably shouldnt get married if you consider what you are going through "struggling."

And if you knew any better if you search "job in afghanistan" in google. You would find what Im taking about and understand why those jobs pay that much. Tax free maybe...I dont know

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Seems like you are just looking for someone to argue with tonight man.

My rant doesn't describe the person you represent yourself to be, yet you are defending yourself. Why?

You want to work, you are working. You choose to spend your money the way you want to (as is your right!) on cell phones, internet, etc. Why come here, on a thread about non-workers, which you claim you aren't, to state you simply don't have enough money, and then defend your choice of paying for cable?

I'm really trying to understand your point of view on this one.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   

reply to post by johngrissom

Yes, I have internet, cable, and both my fiance and I have cell phones. We have a mortgage and a life not built on the benefits of military.
I can see where you are coming from, being a young individual with no world experience outside of the military, but sadly there are expenses that come into play owning your own business that you do not comprehend.
Am I asking for government support? No. Am I saying life in unfair? No (Inherently life is unfair, but whatever we all forge our own destiny).

Struggling within this society, may be more appropriate, than struggling. Nevertheless, there is still a stark contrast to my financial situation and ability to easily survive since I started working in 1994.

Now you claim to know me? You really are rude and not very smart. I have worked more in the outside world than in the military. I know all there is to know about getting a job in the outside world. Ive gotten jobs in the outside world. I have done better than anyone else in the outside world. Ive had independently own jobs in the outside world. Worked with both my uncles with their business's in the outside world. One of them currently have 2 jobs because their business got slow but still have a family life with 2 jobs and still make over 90 grand a year in the outside world. My other uncle gets paid over 100 grand a year and still has time to be a farmer in the outside world. Now with the looks of things my uncles + parents are older than you and have no problem getting jobs in the outside world. See what Im getting at. The jobs are there...the people are not. Service in this world suck right now because people dont really care about their jobs. Everyone thinks they need to be getting paid over 100 grand a year. Well truth be told 55 grand a year is plenty to live on. You wont have a mansion but its enough. Take pride in what you do...dont b!tch. I would expect that a man who played the drums at Church would know that if you keep your faith in God. Good things happen but obviously you have some bitter problems towards this world and need to grow up

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

"Welcome to reality son. You'll be here soon enough."

Really? Im in the military non smart one. I just got off 12 hour shifts on 5 day work weeks, sometimes 14 day work weeks with no comp days. I have spent more time away from home supporting the war front and world disasters. While you complain about not being able to work on the internet while complaining that you struggle. Turn off your damn internet if you are "struggling." HOLY CRAP...I cant believe you're trying to troll me when you still have luxury's...jabronie. Part of having a family is being able to support that family. You might as well dump your crappy job because waiter's get paid more than you and get more hours but no you are struggling.

You have no justification at where your at. You aint married...probably shouldnt get married if you consider what you are going through "struggling."

And if you knew any better if you search "job in afghanistan" in google. You would find what Im taking about and understand why those jobs pay that much. Tax free maybe...I dont know

My post:
Never said you were not smart. I have great respect for the military. My Father was in the Vietnam conflict and both my Grandfathers were in WW2.
When you work 25 days straight of plus 12 hour days, and still don't want some time off, I will accept you calling me lazy, I have done that since 1997.
I do not believe I have complained that I am not able to work. I believe I have stated that I am receiving less than 1/8th of my past wages for the same job from 8 years ago.
Unfortunately, having your own business requires both internet and phone these days. It's called the cost of business.
Troll you? No. A rational discussion, yes.
edit on 10-4-2012 by randomtangentsrme because: clarification

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

My rant doesn't describe the person you represent yourself to be, yet you are defending yourself. Why?

You want to work, you are working. You choose to spend your money the way you want to (as is your right!) on cell phones, internet, etc. Why come here, on a thread about non-workers, which you claim you aren't, to state you simply don't have enough money, and then defend your choice of paying for cable?

No worries, and I appreciate the question. I have seen more and more personal opinion (for instance the other individual I am debating on this thread) that chooses to put all the blame on the individual rather than some blame onto society/ government/ etc.
As I pointed out in my last post- Internet and cell phones (at least if you've had the same number as long as I have) are a business cost, not a luxury.
Agreed cable TV is.
I am making the argument the same as I do to my grandmother, or my father who has been retired for close to a decade. The business world has moved past the phone number for contacting. Without email, website, cell phone (all costs), the modern business does not survive.

To a degree, you may be correct about the argument. The military gentleman, has riled me to a point of defending my position, however I have never been one to turn down a good debate. As I would assume most of us here would state the same about debate.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Now you claim to know me? You really are rude and not very smart. I have worked more in the outside world than in the military. I know all there is to know about getting a job in the outside world. Ive gotten jobs in the outside world. I have done better than anyone else in the outside world. Ive had independently own jobs in the outside world. Worked with both my uncles with their business's in the outside world. One of them currently have 2 jobs because their business got slow but still have a family life with 2 jobs and still make over 90 grand a year in the outside world. My other uncle gets paid over 100 grand a year and still has time to be a farmer in the outside world. Now with the looks of things my uncles + parents are older than you and have no problem getting jobs in the outside world. See what Im getting at. The jobs are there...the people are not. Service in this world suck right now because people dont really care about their jobs. Everyone thinks they need to be getting paid over 100 grand a year. Well truth be told 55 grand a year is plenty to live on. You wont have a mansion but its enough. Take pride in what you do...dont b!tch. I would expect that a man who played the drums at Church would know that if you keep your faith in God. Good things happen but obviously you have some bitter problems towards this world and need to grow up

Good sir, I do not claim to know you in the least. I do greatly respect your military service.
I am glad you know "all there is to know about getting a job in the outside world." Write a book about your knowledge and cash in.
Sadly you cannot ascribe your family's success to yourself. Otherwise I could call myself a multimillionaire from my parents success, and expected inheritance. But my parents alive are worth more money than is on the planet. And regardless, it doesn't help with the monthly mortgage.

Shoot I'd be happy to make a solid $30,000 a year for myself- But don't you worry sir. I've got the ball rolling to make it happen. God helps those who help themself.

edit on 10-4-2012 by randomtangentsrme because: spelling

edit on 10-4-2012 by randomtangentsrme because: spelling again

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   

No worries, and I appreciate the question. I have seen more and more personal opinion (for instance the other individual I am debating on this thread) that chooses to put all the blame on the individual rather than some blame onto society/ government/ etc.
As I pointed out in my last post- Internet and cell phones (at least if you've had the same number as long as I have) are a business cost, not a luxury.
Agreed cable TV is.
I am making the argument the same as I do to my grandmother, or my father who has been retired for close to a decade. The business world has moved past the phone number for contacting. Without email, website, cell phone (all costs), the modern business does not survive.

To a degree, you may be correct about the argument. The military gentleman, has riled me to a point of defending my position, however I have never been one to turn down a good debate. As I would assume most of us here would state the same about debate.

My argument in simple terms with no bull is: I am placing blame on individuals who don't help themselves in any way, then complain.

I see more and more people with their hand out for a buck than a job. There is a world of difference between a man making 10k a year, and trying for more, and a man not trying at all.

Or I guess, I could phrase my beef as not being with low income, but with NO income.

This comes from a man (so-called) who today, was offered a 40-50 hr per week job, which he applied for, at the rate of $12/hr, which he rejected because he did not want to accept the start date of tomorrow.

His reason? His unemployment benefits didn't run out for 3 more weeks. He wanted to suck every bit of those benefits out, then start working in 3 weeks. And he straight admitted it. No other reason why he couldn't work. Just plain ol' doesn't want to.

Here's the door, dude!

This is probably the 200th person I have encountered in 2 years, in various ways, who has this attitude. These are men and women, of any age, of any race, usually of American culture, who seem to think they are entitled to handouts, instead of a job.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Even Christianity states God helps those who help themselves!
reply to post by Ameilia

me too broke, but I just got a job. 30hrs a week $10.42 an hour and 58 miles from my house.
the kicker 3 weeks till I get paid.because of how the pay periods fall.
yeah, I'm Broke....anybody have any spare hope and change for me?
buddy, you better watch out for the backside of Karma on your post. Survey says those that boast fall hard

Even Christianity states God helps those who help themselves!

it isnt Christian.
most things christian are not christian at all !!!

The phrase originated in ancient Greece, occurring in approximately equivalent form as the moral to one of Aesop's Fables, Hercules and the Waggoner, and later in the great tragedy authors of ancient Greek drama.

edit on 10-4-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
This attititude is what is wrong with the world today. I almost wish I lived back in the time when people had compassion.People used to help their neighbors when they were down.....not bash them.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

How utterly ignorant of you bro!
Your first incorrect assumption.. the assumption that I'm one of your teenage guy friends who experiences life the same way you do. There are women here too, some of us grandmothers. Leave the ignorant slang at the door.

Im yes the economy sucks but your statement is dumber than dumb and dumber. If new mustangs are coming out.
Mustangs, huh? It's a Ford. I learned my lesson about that brand, and haven't owned one since the early 80's

New iphones and ipads and ipods are still coming out. People are still buying them.
The majority of the occupants of this planet are sheep who only adopt technology to keep up with others. I don't own any of those.

People are not leaving within their means...just like you.
Really? What do you know about me that I don't?

Going out to eat every night when they have food at the house.
You picked the wrong lady to attack with this quote, since I eat out less than ANYONE I know. I can count the number of times I ate out in 2011 on a single hand. In those 5 times I ate out, I did so because I was away from home and didn't have the means to cook. I cook almost everything I eat.

Buying name brand stuff.
Like your Ford? For items I plan to keep for a long period of time I do often choose name brands due to quality. I feel my Lexus is better built than your Ford. I feel my Infiniti is better built than your Ford. There's nothing wrong with buying quality.

Flat screen tvs...blu ray players.
I don't own a flatscreen because I don't watch TV. That crap will ruin your mind and makes you susceptible to the marketing spin that prompts people to buy unnecessary stuff. I own a 1080p HD projector to watch movies.

A 3 consoles.
A console gamer.. how cute. Real gamers play on PC's. I don't own any consoles.

Then a 2 mortgages on the house and a loan for that car they can't pay.
My homes are all paid for in full. My liability is property taxes, insurance and maintenance, all of which are within my means.

Then on top of that high speed internet and direct tv with HD channels.
What are you using, AOL 56k dialup? Seriously, broadband is the norm, not a luxury exception. As far as cable service, I already addressed that above.

I would venture to say that 80% of the world live beyond their means and can pay for it.
I'd say that the number of people living beyond their means is higher than the quoted 80%, and I'd dare say that the vast majority cannot sustain paying for those unnecessary luxuries without incurring additional debt.

In my home town, the best time to work was the first weekend of the month because about 50% of the city is on welfare and they come in to buy the latest Nikes at $120 a pop. Instead of paying for bills.
How are you so knowledgeable about other peoples liabilities and/or income? Your assumptions about me were WAY off.

Plus not to mention the Father and the Mother work because they want all those luxury's.
Couples working to pay their bills... isn't that what you're advocating?

My wife doesn't work because there is no reason for her to. Her job is being a mother but when she wants something extremely expensive, she can get a job and help pay for it. I made $22,000 last year being in the military with a new born. Im 24 years old. I dont have a flat screen. I dont have anything that has I in the name. I have a flip phone with the keyboard that is 2 years old. I have an old big tv that was giving to me for free. A 10 year old couch that was also given' to me for free. My son has toys and eats well. My wife has gotten medical treatments she needs when she is sick. Same with my son. I have a car that barely runs but is paid off. $8,000 paid off in less than 2 years is pretty freakin amazing. I have a roof over my head and pay for utilities on time. I have cable with internet. We eat seafood once every week and meat every night. Then on top of that I dont have a credit card. I have a few months saved up in my account. I have a mutual fund that has $5,000 in it still. I have 2 years left before getting a bachelors in something that was before the military.

So my question is...why is it that someone who definitely makes more than me a year with a partner or spouse but still cant pay for bills?
I applaud your responsibility, however the problem is that you're comparing your circumstances, as an EMPLOYED person, with the circumstances of those who are UNEMPLOYED. Unemployed doesn't mean that they make more money than you do, and chances are high that they make less than you do. Irresponsibility is rampant in this day and age, but irresponsibility isn't the only factor that affects peoples lives.

Now look back at how dumb your statement is.
It wasn't

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I never been on Unemployment insurance or w/e the free money you get(been working since 16(part time thru school, 9 yrs after, now in my career field), but i thought that's only temporary(like few months maybe)?

How do people stay on that for a long time?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I think the last time I saw the stats, there was 1 job for every 4 people. The foodstamp rolls are spiraling out of control and, despite what most people think, a quick 30 seconds of looking at the requirements will tell you that you have to be pretty much destitute to get them.

Basically what I'm saying is that the math proves you're quite wrong in your assessment of the situation.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I just wanted to say that I agree 100% with the OP.

I'm working three jobs right now - I don't need all three of them, but I am trying to earn as much as possible to pay off the last of my debt and to save for something nice.

Might be a second home, might be an RV, might be a fabulous trip to Europe. Who knows.

What I do know is that I have three jobs and work about 70-80 hours a week while I see people whining and complaining they can't find a job.. Typically these complainers submit online applications, do the absolute minimum in their job searches. They also will not accept some positions because they're apparently too good to work at a gas station, or call center.

So yeah, I also have no sympathy for many people complaining about lack of work and how it's effecting their finances.

As I have mentioned in the past, last year my 10 year old daughter started walking dogs to earn extra money for the extra things she wants. One month she made $400 just walking dogs for a few hours a week. If my 10 year old can figure out a way to earn money all on her own and follow through with it, so can you.

To put it another way: If you have the mental capabilities of a 10 year old you can figure out a way to at least get by. Stop whining and focus that energy on being productive.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Part of me wants to agree with the OP. I read through the entire thing and found myself thinking of specific people.

I have had military wives ask, no BEG me to help them handle their finances. One of these women have no children, and they are still struggling on a E-5 salary (which isn't much but when you have no kids it's plenty, IMO). First thing I ask, are you in school? No, can't afford it. Have you applied for pell grant(which is not paid back)? No, I missed the deadline. What about the $6,000 you can get from MyCAA for military spouses? Haven't called them back yet. Are you looking for a job? No, I don't want to be seen flipping burgers. Where do you shop? Wal-mart, Target, anywhere that has the brands I like. Have you ever shopped at Dollar Tree? WHAT! NO WAY! THAT'S ALL JUNK!

So my next question is...why complain about not having toilet paper to wipe your butt with, if you're unwilling to stray from a "favorite brand"? Your hiney is not made of delicate daisies, you don't need something quilted by angels when it's 2 days before payday and your other option is going completely without.
This example may not be *entirely* specific but it's pretty close. Some people just can't be helped...they don't want to. It's easier to NOT do anything, and complain, and get through by the skin of their teeth. it's sad.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
This attititude is what is wrong with the world today. I almost wish I lived back in the time when people had compassion.People used to help their neighbors when they were down.....not bash them.

No, what's wrong with the world today is people make comments about things they don't understand. I say this because you clearly did not read my posts before commenting, as I do talk about trying to help people (who refuse) in the original post, and then again on page 2, spell out the most recent example of trying to help someone who told me to my face they wanted to collect unemployment instead of work.

But instead of bothering to actually read and understand what I am talking about, you come on here and make this ignorant comment, why is that?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
All of this is pointless banter really.

If anyone actually wanted to really address the problem, they would create a movement to overturn free trade policies and facilitate an economic rebound here in the US.

But instead it's a whole lot easier to sit around and condemn people individually for not sharing your personal work ethic.

To each their own I suppose...

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

No, what's wrong with the world today is people make comments about things they don't understand.

Nah, I don't see any problem with people exercising their free speech even if they have it all wrong. That's one of the few things right with the world.

What's wrong with the world is that when there is a global or regional problem, people automatically blame random bystanders rather than placing the blame where it truly belongs, with our inept and incompetent government and corporate leadership.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join