It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dude, Quit Telling Me You Are Broke!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

What's wrong with the world is that when there is a global or regional problem, people automatically blame random bystanders rather than placing the blame where it truly belongs, with our inept and incompetent government and corporate leadership.

Just to clarify, are you saying when someone says "I am refusing the job you are offering me. I would rather collect unemployment and other government assistance than work" that I (or anyone) should blame the government and corporations, instead of blaming the individual who wants to live off the backs of society?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I'm sure there are some people who take the victimization route to their problems and do nothing to remedy them

And maybe theres jobs out there, but what kind?
fast food, gas stations, military, cash registers, salesperson

You can find your way to get by but is anyone even thinking long term outcomes of this?

How do any of these $10/hr position serve humanity or the employees as a whole?
Your running on a treadmill, chasing your own tail,day to day survival
They will get you and the rest of society NO where (perhaps even backwards: military)
It is comparable to slave labor
Imagine if everyone was working these kind of jobs, it would be slavery on a mass scale

The 99% have been left with the #tiest jobs available and least amount of pay all while there are criminals and organizations running amuck, with record profits and corruption all while pulling strings on the same system thats effecting everyone

And regardless of how bad or good your financial situation right now is, its corrupt and artificial.
It doesn't matter how good or bad your job is right now. In reality its based on a arbitrary, worthless means of exchange. Fiat currency on behalf of the private FEDERAL RESERVE system and WASHINGTON special interests lobby groups

My anthropology prof mentioned the other day, that if all the money that used to bailout the banks in 2008 was instead used to address hunger issues abroad, we could eradicate world hunger for over 500 years

Aren't these the kind of real issues at hand that should be discussed?
And not the lazy couch-potatos who have lost faith in system where none can be found?
edit on 10-4-2012 by seenavv because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

No, what's wrong with the world today is people make comments about things they don't understand. I say this because you clearly did not read my posts before commenting, as I do talk about trying to help people (who refuse) in the original post, and then again on page 2, spell out the most recent example of trying to help someone who told me to my face they wanted to collect unemployment instead of work.

I did read your post, understood it fully, and am not ignorant thank you very much.....I was not referring to you personally, just people in general. Many people who are out of work may be depressed. That's not an excuse, but just a fact. Sure, there are also people who are just lazy, but most are not. I was only making a comment on society as a whole, and I apoligize if it sounded like I was referring to you personally.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
reply to post by Ameilia

No, what's wrong with the world today is people make comments about things they don't understand. I say this because you clearly did not read my posts before commenting, as I do talk about trying to help people (who refuse) in the original post, and then again on page 2, spell out the most recent example of trying to help someone who told me to my face they wanted to collect unemployment instead of work.

I did read your post, understood it fully, and am not ignorant thank you very much.....I was not referring to you personally, just people in general. Many people who are out of work may be depressed. That's not an excuse, but just a fact. Sure, there are also people who are just lazy, but most are not. I was only making a comment on society as a whole, and I apoligize if it sounded like I was referring to you personally.

I'm not calling you ignorant, I called your post ignorant. And yes, I did understand you to mean ME, not society as a whole. So now that's cleared up, thanks (sincerely, not sarcastically).

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

I don't think my post was ignorant....but thank you...it's all good!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
reply to post by Ameilia

I don't think my post was ignorant....but thank you...it's all good!

Now that it's been clarified, I would be unlikely to use the word ignorant.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ameilia

What's wrong with the world is that when there is a global or regional problem, people automatically blame random bystanders rather than placing the blame where it truly belongs, with our inept and incompetent government and corporate leadership.

Just to clarify, are you saying when someone says "I am refusing the job you are offering me. I would rather collect unemployment and other government assistance than work" that I (or anyone) should blame the government and corporations, instead of blaming the individual who wants to live off the backs of society?

No...

But why would anyone want to pay into an unemployment fund their whole lives if they are considered sub-human for attempting to ever collect any of it?

We aren't even talking about welfare here, this is unemployment. You can only draw from it if you have enough work credits in the first place.

Why do you care if other people work anyways? Seems like a headache waiting to happen and for no real point.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

No...

But why would anyone want to pay into an unemployment fund their whole lives if they are considered sub-human for attempting to ever collect any of it?

We aren't even talking about welfare here, this is unemployment. You can only draw from it if you have enough work credits in the first place.

Why do you care if other people work anyways? Seems like a headache waiting to happen and for no real point.

I'm not saying anyone is subhuman for wanting to collect unemployment. I am saying they are lazy complainers for refusing to work when they could because they prefer unemployment as stated in the original post. And yes, we are talking about welfare (though I generalized as 'other assistance') in the original post.

I don't care if other people work or don't work. I DO CARE when they REFUSE to work and then COMPLAIN about money to ME specifically, and expect me to SYMPATHIZE. And I care in all those caps too!

I feel like I'm going to verbally demolish the next person...that's why I came to the rant forum to try and get it out of my system.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

I don't think he is capable of having a rational discussion since he can't seem to say anything without insulting people and using names like a kid in middle school.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Yes, sure, OK, but I just want to say one thing..............

I'm broke.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

List your 10 ways to make money. Help them out and remove their excuses.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
reply to post by Ameilia

Do you mean, in real life? This is what I'm complaining about...I do this and people just...don't care. They just don't. I can't even explain it.

Or do you mean, on the board? I can pop out some ideas if that's what you're asking.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I feel like I'm going to verbally demolish the next person...that's why I came to the rant forum to try and get it out of my system.

That makes sense. I can understand your position.

Since you are just getting it off your chest I'll toss one out there to add to the mix.

It annoys me when people I know ask me for $$ or food, when in reality they have a higher pay grade than I do yet they squander all of it on garbage they don't need, cable packages they cannot afford, etc.

And it's all up to me to buy them a dozen eggs and a loaf of bread. And if I refuse that will make me such an evil heartless person won't it?
Chaps my hide, I'll tell you.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I'm not saying anyone is subhuman for wanting to collect unemployment. I am saying they are lazy complainers for refusing to work when they could because they prefer unemployment as stated in the original post. And yes, we are talking about welfare (though I generalized as 'other assistance') in the original post.

I don't care if other people work or don't work. I DO CARE when they REFUSE to work and then COMPLAIN about money to ME specifically, and expect me to SYMPATHIZE. And I care in all those caps too!

Our experiences and opinions will vary depending on our environment and those who surround us. I'll admit that I only know 2 people that are currently unemployed, neither of whom I feel fit the sweeping stereotype that was portrayed in your original post.

The people I know who are unemployed are responsible adults who are out of work because of corporate downsizing, and it's my belief that when either of them is given a real opportunity to work, they'll run with it. The problem is the lack of jobs, especially for those in specific fields requiring specialized skills. Some markets are better than others. There are a lot of things to consider when seeking employment.

One acquaintance I'm familiar with could conceivably find part time employment at minimum wage in a totally unrelated field, but doing so would significantly hamper his ability to find employment in his field that would allow him to meet his responsibilities and provide for his family. A part time job at minimum wage would barely pay for transportation costs to and from work. One must balance the pros and cons of each individual case before passing judgement.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

reply to post by Ameilia

Do you mean, in real life? This is what I'm complaining about...I do this and people just...don't care. They just don't. I can't even explain it.

Or do you mean, on the board? I can pop out some ideas if that's what you're asking.
Do both. Put your 10 ideas right here, or start a separate thread "10 ways to make money without a job".

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

reply to post by Ameilia

Do both. Put your 10 ideas right here, or start a separate thread "10 ways to make money without a job".

I think I will start a separate thread. That way, I can invite others to add ways to make money, and that can be accessed by members who are looking for ways to make additional income without having to read through us all talking about my rant.

This is what I am promising you (How much is an internet promise worth?)

I will list at least 10 ways to make money, on a thread, and invite others to add new ideas, and I will do this within 24 hours of this post, and then I will U2U you a link to the thread.

(Probably this will get done tonight when I am done with all housework, etc. Right now I am popping on and off and what I want to say will probably take me an hour to get said right.)
edit on 4/10/12 by Ameilia because: grammar

edit on 4/10/12 by Ameilia because: clarification

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Seriously? You can't come up with 10 just off the top of your head?
1) Collect scrap metal, paper, card board etc for recycling.
2) Pick up free stuff and curb alerts from craig's list and sell it at a yard sale or flea market
3) babysit, pet sit
4) cut grass, rake leaves etc...
5) deliver newspapers and/or private publications
6) If you have any skills, use them for "side work" instead of at your job
7) collect and sell firewood
8) clean houses or offices
9) teach a class in something you know that others might want to know
10) deliver RV's from the manufacturer to dealers(I do this from time to time and make $600/trip)

If I took some time to think, I could come up with more. I have not worked a "job" in over 4 years.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Seriously? You can't come up with 10 just off the top of your head?
1) Collect scrap metal, paper, card board etc for recycling.
2) Pick up free stuff and curb alerts from craig's list and sell it at a yard sale or flea market
3) babysit, pet sit
4) cut grass, rake leaves etc...
5) deliver newspapers and/or private publications
6) If you have any skills, use them for "side work" instead of at your job
7) collect and sell firewood
8) clean houses or offices
9) teach a class in something you know that others might want to know
10) deliver RV's from the manufacturer to dealers(I do this from time to time and make $600/trip)

If I took some time to think, I could come up with more. I have not worked a "job" in over 4 years.

I'm going to explain them, in a lot more detail than "collect scrap metal" which is on my list. Now that you have mentioned that, I will say that a short trash bag full of crushed cans is currently recycling for about $7.00. How long it takes you to accumulate a bag will depend on your family size and how much soda or canned beer you consume, but it takes little space, time, and effort to collect them. I usually will scrap at five bags, but yesterday we had a dead lawnmower, so I took it with 4 bags of cans and got $35.07 for my efforts, plus more space in the garage.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whateva69
what sad world we live in, when those that "have" don't care about those that don't have.

It's really not a matter of not caring, I don't think. It's the ants versus the grasshopper. The ants are upset that the grasshopper is lazy. Ultimately the ants take care of the grasshopper during the winter, regardless, and that's what we are doing as well. If you are out of work and looking as hard as you can, then I have no problem with providing you with some level of sustenance until you find work. But people who feel entitled to handouts from the rest of us and live this as a lifestyle are dragging the rest of us down.

Over the years it amazes me the poor decisions people make which CAUSE them to become poor. It's not that they are intellectually stupid; they just continue to make poor decisions. I can cite you instance after instance of "two families" who make the same income.

Family A: They live frugally, but not poorly. They drive an older car. They have instilled in their children a work ethic and the kids do well in school. Over the years they have saved enough money so that if they do lose their jobs, they are capable of weathering the situation for a couple of years. They chose their careers carefully in the first place in areas where they knew there would be a demand for skilled labor. It doesn't matter whether these people are doctors or mechanics. They understand finances, have a good credit rating, have paid off their house, and they live well, but not extravagently.

Family B: They make the same income as Family A. The guy has the latest greatest 4WD pick-up jacked with a six inch lift. They have a camper and a boat, the latest large screen TV and super stereo system, and go to Vegas every year. While Family A was going to school, this guy got a job at "The Plant" out of high school and started enjoying the big bucks right away. They bought a big house on a "stated loan" (no checking) far beyond their means. Now the bubble has burst they're underwater. Their kids are not only out of control, they don't have descent clothes. They do poorly in school and I guarantee you the girl will get knocked up and drop out of high school. He's about to lose his job and, of course, they have no savings at all.

Same exact income; different decisions. And now you want me to "care" about poor Family B and criticize Family A because they are doing so well.

That's how screwed up we have become. You want us to reward sloth and poor decisions with perpetual handouts, and criticize frugality and success and tax them more.

We're living in Bizzarro World.
edit on 4/10/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
What a shining example of humanity OP is..
I'm going to calm myself with a chamomile tea before I get myself into trouble by spitting venom.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join