It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dude, Quit Telling Me You Are Broke!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Yes, I understand we are in a recessed (or even depressed) economy.

I understand unemployment is high right now. It might be higher than you have ever seen, especially if you were born after 1975.

So you don't have a job, or you have a job that doesn't pay enough, or it does pay enough but you aren't allowed to work the number of hours you need. If you aren't helping yourself, please shut up! I feel like each and every person I come across in real life, and even in many cases "friends" online, has something to complain about financially.

And I bite my tongue.

I don't care that unemployment doesn't pay you the weekly salary you are used to. It has to pay everyone who is unemployed see? So that money is divided amongst you.

I don't care that you only have two weeks left on your unemployment, what the heck have you been doing the entire time you've been on it? Waiting for your dream job to roll back around? Sorry, I'm going back to sleep now.

Please Quit Telling Me You Are Broke!

I almost all circumstances, I think it's your fault.

Yes, there are exceptions. Obviously one cannot help extreme situations such as: illness of child, or spouse who contributes significant income, any natural disaster, a family emergency, etc. You guys, I am not talking to you.

Who am I talking to? YOU, who sits on your butt all day, and collects unemployment and other assistance, and complains there is "no work" or else "that job isn't good enough for me."

YOU NEED TO HELP YOURSELF. Not complain to every person who will listen, most of whom will then sympathize "oh, it's this terrible economy" and sooth your ego. But not me. I see your game. I see the excuses.

I will tell you ten ways to make money right this second, and you will sit and stare at me. You won't jump on the idea. You won't take an idea and turn it into something better, and work on that. In fact, you probably won't even listen.

Why? Because butt-sitting, mouth-complaining, hand-out for hand outs, is so much easier.

So please, don't blame your spouse, don't blame your old boss. Don't blame the economy, your state, the President, or anyone else, if you are sitting on your butt doing nothing to help yourself.

We are all sick of listening to you whine. All of us who bust our # to make a buck, we don't hear anything you say. It's like the Snoopy cartoons *blah*blah*blah.

Stand up, be a MAN or WOMAN and help yourself!

Even Christianity states God helps those who help themselves!

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

How utterly ignorant of you to assume that unemployed people aren't trying to find meaningful work. Despite your belief to the contrary, the economy still stinks and there aren't enough jobs being created to satisfy the demand from those out of work.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
This post made me want to care about you less.

Does that make me think or care of you less?

Nope. We're all in this together.

edit on 10-4-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Complaining about people complaining never gets anything done. With your logic, if you're really so tired of hearing it, why not help them all find jobs?

And it's "wah wah" not "blah blah".

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Vixen~

I think he's getting at those who don't want to work and are happy to live on handouts. I understand his anger, I have everything I need for my family and more, house, car etc etc but I have worked hard as nails for everything we have, I'm lucky to have never been out of work.

The family up the road from me has all this also, the difference being they have never worked and everything they have and do is funded by the state/taxpayers thanks to the UK's ludicrous benefit system.

They don't work because they don't need to.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I'm Broke!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter81
reply to post by ~Vixen~

I think he's getting at those who don't want to work and are happy to live on handouts. I understand his anger, I have everything I need for my family and more, house, car etc etc but I have worked hard as nails for everything we have, I'm lucky to have never been out of work.

The family up the road from me has all this also, the difference being they have never worked and everything they have and do is funded by the state/taxpayers thanks to the UK's ludicrous benefit system.

They don't work because they don't need to.

Thank you for actually reading my post, and taking the time to read and understand it fully. There is a huge difference between those doing all they can possibly do, and still falling short, and those doing NOTHING, and complaining.

I had a Straw That Broke The Camel's Back today, and it was one person (who does not do anything to help themselves, and admits it) too much for me.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Your welcome! It grinds my gears somewhat too!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrypticCryptid
Complaining about people complaining never gets anything done. With your logic, if you're really so tired of hearing it, why not help them all find jobs?
And it's "wah wah" not "blah blah".

Did you even read my Rant before posting this comment? Obviously not. Here is a quote from my rant:

I will tell you ten ways to make money right this second, and you will sit and stare at me. You won't jump on the idea. You won't take an idea and turn it into something better, and work on that. In fact, you probably won't even listen.

I HAVE tried to help people find a job, or just find a small source of income. That is the whole point of the rant, they don't want a job, they want a handout and a license to complain.

But you'd have had to read my post to know what I said, and actually come up with a comment that made sense, or a viable argument.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

I will give you a for instance to prove you wrong.
Back in 2004 I was able to make over $20,000 working (laboring) 3 months of the year and playing drums for a church every Sunday.
Now I can not make my (cheap) labor price of $50 an hour as an independent contractor.
I'm lucky to get paid $300 for what was a $2500 job back then. Or not work.

I prefer to work as an independent contractor. So I do not get to collect unemployment, but get to make $10,000 for the year. As opposed to a potential of $80,000 depending on the year.

But yes, that's totally my fault for having an additional 8 years of experience.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme
reply to post by Ameilia

Back in 2004 I was able to make over $20,000 working (laboring) 3 months of the year and playing drums for a church every Sunday.
Now I can not make my (cheap) labor price of $50 an hour as an independent contractor.

I prefer to work as an independent contractor. So I do not get to collect unemployment, but get to make $10,000 for the year. As opposed to a potential of $80,000 depending on the year.

But yes, that's totally my fault for having an additional 8 years of experience.

How does that prove me wrong.

You are giving me an example of (yourself) actually working, self-employed, at a skilled job, earning 10k a year.

However, I am talking about people making an annual income of $0.00.

So, your argument is totally ineffective.

But, you are the kind of person, like myself, who would rather support themselves than not, and I applaud you.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Vixen~
reply to post by Ameilia

How utterly ignorant of you to assume that unemployed people aren't trying to find meaningful work. Despite your belief to the contrary, the economy still stinks and there aren't enough jobs being created to satisfy the demand from those out of work.

How utterly ignorant of you bro! Im yes the economy sucks but your statement is dumber than dumb and dumber. If new mustangs are coming out. New iphones and ipads and ipods are still coming out. People are still buying them. People are not leaving within their means...just like you. Going out to eat every night when they have food at the house. Buying name brand stuff. Flat screen tvs...blu ray players. A 3 consoles. Then a 2 mortgages on the house and a loan for that car they can't pay. Then on top of that high speed internet and direct tv with HD channels.

I would venture to say that 80% of the world live beyond their means and can pay for it. In my home town, the best time to work was the first weekend of the month because about 50% of the city is on welfare and they come in to buy the latest Nikes at $120 a pop. Instead of paying for bills. Plus not to mention the Father and the Mother work because they want all those luxury's. My wife doesn't work because there is no reason for her to. Her job is being a mother but when she wants something extremely expensive, she can get a job and help pay for it. I made $22,000 last year being in the military with a new born. Im 24 years old. I dont have a flat screen. I dont have anything that has I in the name. I have a flip phone with the keyboard that is 2 years old. I have an old big tv that was giving to me for free. A 10 year old couch that was also given' to me for free. My son has toys and eats well. My wife has gotten medical treatments she needs when she is sick. Same with my son. I have a car that barely runs but is paid off. $8,000 paid off in less than 2 years is pretty freakin amazing. I have a roof over my head and pay for utilities on time. I have cable with internet. We eat seafood once every week and meat every night. Then on top of that I dont have a credit card. I have a few months saved up in my account. I have a mutual fund that has $5,000 in it still. I have 2 years left before getting a bachelors in something that was before the military.

So my question is...why is it that someone who definitely makes more than me a year with a partner or spouse but still cant pay for bills?

Now look back at how dumb your statement is.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

I don't care

I don't care

what sad world we live in, when those that "have" don't care about those that don't have.

Whateva

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

It proves you wrong simply for the fact that the money is not there any longer.
Granted my industry, performing arts, is not one that the average individual has cash for any more. But in my example I worked two months for a private high school (which has closed due to no one being able to pay the $30,000 annual tuition any longer), a music festival (which is barely operating), and a church (which had to let the band go due to lack of tithing.)
The point that I'm getting at is all the jobs which we were able to support prior to 2008 or 2009 are slowly or quickly (depending on the jobs) eroding away. And while it dose not currently seem applicable to the average individual, these erosions are what is going to see the economy fail even faster over the next 12 months.

It is really not a question of people not wanting to work, but simply a question of money for the individuals to work.
I have a bit of a problem working for minimum wage as I've been in supervisor positions for over a decade. But in the 12 to 15 dollar range, I'll take what I can get. In my discipline there are none in the area where I bought a house or within the area of a commute where I can still spend time with my fiancee on a daily basis.
So I struggle.
And yes she works full time and makes about 20,000 a year with no benefits. I'm not complaining about it, but we are tight, or short every months with bills and such.

edit on 10-4-2012 by randomtangentsrme because: Added more

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

reply to post by Ameilia

None of what you say makes any sense. There are plenty of jobs that pay triple figures without a degree. You are just freakin lazy BRO. Dont lie either because I can tell. For example, you can get a job to work in Afghan driving flatbeds to help with my job in the military as a civilian. YOU CAN DO IT AS LONG AS YOU WANT! Plus not to mention how many government jobs are still open! Ignorance is a disease that plagues Americans. Just the other day when I was playing Call Of Duty...some idiot on there was bragging that unemployment benefits were better than his job was. Then he continued to brag on how he was never going to get a job because unemployment was better. See the ignorance and laziness.

"I prefer to work as an independent contractor." Lazy statement because you set your own hours.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
there are people out there flipping burgers with college degrees because of the lack of jobs right now. I saw a little old man in a buisness suit standing on a corner holding a sign in white cotton gloves that said "looking for a job" 2 weeks ago

the reason I saw him was because I came from applying at 3 stores who turned me away and told me to go apply online, 2 of the 3 I allready had applied online for.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

I'm sick and tired of women with kids alleging they're broke and are living from one pay check to another yet they clearly see a hairdresser and nail artist regularly.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   

reply to post by Ameilia

Granted my industry, performing arts, is not one that the average individual has cash for any more. But in my example I worked two months for a private high school (which has closed due to no one being able to pay the $30,000 annual tuition any longer), a music festival (which is barely operating), and a church (which had to let the band go due to lack of tithing.
The point that I'm getting at is all the jobs which we were able to support prior to 2008 or 2009 are slowly or quickly (depending on the jobs) eroding away. And while it dose not currently seem applicable to the average individual, these erosions are what is going to see the economy fail even faster over the next 12 months.

It is really not a question of people not wanting to work, but simply a question of money for the individuals to work.
I have a bit of a problem working for minimum wage as I've been in supervisor positions for over a decade. But in the 12 to 15 dollar range, I'll take what I can get. In my discipline there are none in the area where I bought a house or within the area of a commute where I can still spend time with my fiancee on a daily basis.
So I struggle.

Really BRO?!?!? Really?????????????????????? You struggle?

"It proves you wrong simply for the fact that the money is not there any longer"
Bullsh!t...before I joined the military, I worked at UPS getting paid 12-13 an hour. With an apartment bill, utilities, gas, insurance, small car payment and food. That is 100% do able and I was getting less than 25 hours a week.
I now with the amount of hours I work. I get paid about a dollar per hour because some weeks I pulled 16 hour shifts. Im not infantry either. I have a regular logistic job. Not to mention though...gas stations hire all the time and get great hours. You have no right to whine, absolutely no right. You bought a house or so you say. You have a computer and internet. So you probably had a cell phone too. Your not struggling jabronie.

Not very many people in this world struggle because its all base on living within your means. If you can't do it, than its probably why you wont go very far in life.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

If the money isn't there any more, how'd you make 10k then? You obviously did something right, you found work. There is money for those bound and determined to find it! Maybe not as much as you want, but you GOT PAID FOR WORK. Unlike the people I am talking about (which I'll say again, isn't you) who want to get paid, or get handouts, while sitting on their butts complaining & doing nothing to generate an income for their family!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by johngrissom

reply to post by Ameilia

None of what you say makes any sense. There are plenty of jobs that pay triple figures without a degree. You are just freakin lazy BRO. Dont lie either because I can tell. For example, you can get a job to work in Afghan driving flatbeds to help with my job in the military as a civilian. YOU CAN DO IT AS LONG AS YOU WANT! Plus not to mention how many government jobs are still open! Ignorance is a disease that plagues Americans. Just the other day when I was playing Call Of Duty...some idiot on there was bragging that unemployment benefits were better than his job was. Then he continued to brag on how he was never going to get a job because unemployment was better. See the ignorance and laziness.

"I prefer to work as an independent contractor." Lazy statement because you set your own hours.

Thank you for pointing out how lazy I am, please U2U me with the contacts to show me how I can get these triple figure ($100?) jobs you claim driving flatbeds. As much as it would pain me to leave my fiancee for a year, I will put my career on hold in interest of providing for my family.
I'm so lazy I got laid off from a $700 a week (60+ hour) salaried position because the company "could not afford me."
I wish I could have the time to play video games while working.
Welcome to reality son. You'll be here soon enough.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join