It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My GP Told Me To Leave ATS.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by digital01anarchy
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

hearing voices isnt bi-polar bi-polar is having extreme highs and lows in feelings.

Actually you can have auditory Hallucinations with Bi-polar, when you get extreme highs, you can go into a psychosis like state. You can also have auditory Hallucinations with depression; This is called Psychotic Depression. There's also a condition called Schizoaffective Disorder which has both Bi-Polar and Schizophrenia like symptoms.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

To ALOSTSOUL i'm sorry you are going through this, I suffer from a severe Mental Illness. My Psychiatrist actually told me once that i shouldn't go on sites like these, or Mental Health Support Sites, or watch and read any Horror/Sci-Fi/Conspiracy type material or play those types of games on my X-Box. I told him to stick it where the sun don't shine.....Well in a more subtle way.
I had my first breakdown well before i joined up on ATS and started to get into Conspiracies and get myself informed as to what is really going on in the world we live in. I do take medication, but this site never makes me paranoid, or hear anymore voices or has any affect on my illness, but we are all different. Sometimes it makes me very sad and angry about the state of the world we live in, and that's when i take a step back.

It's up to you what you do, not your GP. If you still want to come here, come here. As someone has mentioned before. You could try taking a break from here to see if it helps.

I'm not sure of your age and what else has been going on in your life. Sometimes breakdowns just happen, because we are wired that way, or because there is a family history of Mental Illness, or they happen because there are other external stressors going on in our lives.

I would also get a second opinion, because GP's are not really qualified to make Mental Health Diagnoses. Get yourself a Mental Health referral.

I would also like to say; Don't go down the road of drinking to drown out your problems, as it can become a double edged sword, it may make you feel better for a short period of time, but can end up making things worse. Also, please think twice if you are prescribed Benzodiazepines (Diazepam, Clonazepam etc) for anxiety. Or Z drugs (Zopiclone, Ambien etc) for insomnia. These are highly addictive and will end up giving you more problems then they are worth.

I wish you all the best and i hope you start feeling better soon.

edit on 1-4-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by SkipperJohn

True.

I have reduced the time that I spend on ATS because it's just too depressing as of late.

It's become the home base for the birthers, the Paulites, neo-nazis and general muckrakers.

Where's the common sense? Certainly not here!

THIS!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
Hello ATSer's.

I have recently had what some may call a mental breakdown. It's reason I haven't been hanging around ATS over the past few weeks.

Anyhow, I have been hearing voices, I have been having major panic attack. My personality seems to change from moment to moment, although I don't relise at the time.

My doctor believes I have bi-polar but she thinks my paranoia stems from my time at ATS.

I was just wondering your thoughts on this.
edit on 31-3-2012 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

As a fellow mental health issue sufferer (see my sig) who has had those issues bar the voices I'd say listen to the Doctor but I'd also suggest you try and seek proper mental health treatment and ask the doctor to reffer you asap. Sadly this can take a while so get it done asap and make sure the Doctor describes it as an urgent situation.

Don't waste your money on so called paid therapists, they do NOT help and can make you worse.

As for it being ATS, yes very likely if you are in a mind is in a state where its prone to paranoia and stress, it can happen. Some of the topics on here simply glide over other peoples head but to those of us with mental health issues its amazingly easy to take them far too seriously and lose control.

The brain is a bastard (sorry for the word but its true) it will in your state do whatever it can to hurt you more, it will ingest little things you think you missed and throw them at you when you are at your weakest.

I'm sure you may have other real world problems just like everyone else that stresses you so its important to start finding the link to this now, if its ATS then keep away.

You do NOT want to be on the medication I take, my illness is too ingrained now, it went on untreated for so long I have to live with it the best I can, without these meds I'd simply stop. Don't get in that position, get back to the Doctor asap, get a proper diagnosis before you get to the point where you can't be bothered to help yourself...

That comes VERY quickly....
edit on 1-4-2012 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Hello ATSer's.

I have recently had what some may call a mental breakdown. It's reason I haven't been hanging around ATS over the past few weeks.

Anyhow, I have been hearing voices, I have been having major panic attack. My personality seems to change from moment to moment, although I don't relise at the time.

My doctor believes I have bi-polar but she thinks my paranoia stems from my time at ATS.

My thoughts are that deep involvement into certain subjects can indeed have a negative effect.

It's sadly the case that conspiracy theories etc. are usually negative and thrive on negativity, and there are people and agendas who really want to spread negativity, fear and whatever other bad things.

The danger here is that you will in fact be in danger to forget that live DOES indeed have positive sides, many of them. If you are mentally affected and have some problems, a break can do WONDERS. It really can. This is not specific to ATS, i am talking about all those areas in general in the broadest sense.

Please do not dedicate all your life, sanity etc. to things which are negative. It's not good, it can create a feedback-effect where you ONLY can get out by distancing yourself and look at other things in life. And there are plenty. Much luck!

edit on 1-4-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I relieved my stress by canceling cable. No more CNN, MSNBC, Fox, etc..
At least ATS has 2 way dialog.
I was wondering what would happen if your Doc became a member, and poked around a little, would the conclusion be the same. ATS is what you make it, and what you make of it.
Not one bit of it is shoved down your throat like Talk radio, or those previously mentioned "News" networks.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
My GP told me mercury in my teeth wasnt harmful. Then I proved him wrong

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrainDispatcher
Next thing ya know, our health insurance providers are going to want to know what websites we visit.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....dont give them any frickin ideas now, OK???

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I really don't see how ATS can make anyone paranoid or have a mental breakdown when over 50% of the topics on here are trash and bunk. I swear about 20% are news stories, 40% are benevolent warnings and dream predictions and the remaining 40% (maybe) are legitimate exploration of interesting subjects backed up with evidence.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   

ALS,

I've always appreciated your contributorship to this website (and as such even though I do not personally know you) I will talk to you as if you were a close friend.

Your GP told you to leave ATS?

That decision is solely up to you and no one else, not us, not your friends or family, not even your GP.

But if you are not sure about the sincereness of your GP then, by all means, seek a second opinion.

I am in no position to give advice but can relate, suffering from anxiety myself. ATS can and does have a degree of instigating responses. When it does become overwhelming, I do not quit or leave, but do indeed take breaks.

ATS shows us the world from an all conspiracy perspective all the time and it becomes easy to forget that this world is also beautiful, amazing and magnificent. Disconnecting once in a while to reground to life has been helpful to me.

As a close friend, I would recommend taking a break. But then again, this is solely up to you.

In any case, be well,

Sincerely,

~SOS.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by onthedownlow
If you lack the depth necessary to read between the lines, isolate and identify agendas, and formulate your own opinion on the subject matter that you read here, yes, you should avoid ATS. But, if you are intellectually hungry for oposing and alternative viewpoints, and you are capable of injesting them with a grain of salt, you will soon find yourself craving the endless stream of banter and rhetoric, and yes, the occasional piece of breaking news that might never recieve attention from the mainstream media.

ATS has opened my mind, it has shown me a world that I would have never otherwise known and for this I will be forever grateful. It has taught me skills that I will never forget.

I have slept on it and decided that I will take the advice of the doctor (and other ATSers). I'm going to stay away for a month. See if there's any change and go for there.

Peace out everyone. See you soon.

ALS

Eta: oh and thanks for all of your kind words, ATSer are a great bunch of people. It why the decision was that much harder.

See you in a month.
edit on 1-4-2012 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lupine67

When my fan is turned on to cool me down I hear voices.

That's not the spirits talking to you, that's the unavoidable end result of your brain using stochastic filtering.

The sciency word for what you're hearing is pareidolia - the misperception of hearing meaningful sound in what's essentially noise.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I too have been told to ween off the truth research, by my new psychologist. There have been times I'd spend all day and night looking into the world's horrors. For me I think it is a bit of an addiction now. Add to that my friends think I am losing my mind, so I am becoming isolated in my own little world. I suppose worrying about things you can't do anything about is futile, and all the catty remarks that are made particularly on this site are making me paranoid, but I don't know if I can go back and pretend life is a paradise full of justice. I have less panic attacks now than I did back then. Good luck to you. I hope you find the right balance.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I like you and I've enjoyed seeing your posts in the past.

That being said, I think Des has it right with the candy analogy. Everything in moderation, my friend.

If you let anything consume you, no matter what it is, it can affect your mental health. If she simply said "never go back to that site" I'd be concerned, but if she just told you to take a break then it might be healthy for you.

Either way, good luck with everything. Hope to see you posting again soon, when you feel like the time is right for you.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I have been hospitalized multiple times for mental breakdowns and I read this and other web sites. I have learned over time that I have to differentiate between fantasy and reality while reading these type of web sites. As long as you do this you should be OK.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

edit on 1-4-2012 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus.....
I have to admit, though....The people who are rude and make fun of others get my BP up much higher than the doom-and-gloom scenarios.

Amen to that! I have to admit that I noticed a steady withdrawal from my ATS presence BECAUSE of the increase of "rude and make fun of'ers" in the past couple months.

It almost appears as a plague of dumbness, ignorance, apathy, and plain idiotic behaviours and replies.

One has to has to apply a "nonsense" filter when reading threads; otherwise, it is no wonder one would go crazy.

edit on 1-4-2012 by Glargod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

Totally agreed. I lurked this site for a couple of years before finally joining, and while I'm still a newbie compared to a lot of the original members, I've noticed a change as well.

Some posts that could lead to truly intelligent discussions seem to go haywire pretty quickly, in the vein of 4Chan or Reddit, (and I love me some Reddit in small doses, believe me) but it takes away from the discussion.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Hello ATSer's.

First off I don't belive in one human diagnosing another human, all they think they know came from info provided by another human, kind of like the blind leading the blind type of thing, but thats just me, I'm sure lots of people are very good at helping others.

When I first came to ATS I got caught up in the hype and doom then something kicked in, common sense, so I took what was on here and just used it for info to research things I did not understand (deny ignorance) in otherwords directions to inlightenment as it were...................it also helps if you listen to soft music (2002), takes the edge off what is sometimes very serious people and there belief's...............but there everywhere.

Good Luck

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Wow. I hope you feel better and take your doctor's advice. Of course, I'm no doctor in any sense of the word, but I will offer you some good old down home advice: Take everything you read with a grain of salt, double that if you read it on the internet.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
A GP blaming ATS for paranoia?

Now THAT'S a generalization for ya.

There's more to ATS than the doom and gloom. Relationships, Jokes and Puns, Automotive, Urban Legends, Music, Movies.......there is a lighter side to ATS and those forums are a good place to start.

I see from your numbers that you are here a lot, but I've seen members who haven't been here as long with MUCH higher numbers.

If I were you I'd look into changing GP's, not your forum posting habits.

That's the point, he WAS generalizing. He specifically pointed out all of the doom and gloom and IF this is the only "doom" website the OP comes to, then yes, it would be appropriate single out ATS. If what you got from it was that the GP was singling out ATS, then you have some kind of complex because the rest of us understood the general meaning of the message.

The number of knuckle-draggers here that try to play "doctor" and give life advice to people is just staggering. Do you keep doctor shopping until you find one that says what you want to hear? That's the impression I get. You read OP's "palm" by looking at his numbers? Really? Are we all carbon copies who respond to things the exact same way? Making a diagnosis of any type based on somebody's "ATS numbers" is just plain ignorant.

From what I can tell of your numbers, you have OCD and should seek a lobotomy immediately.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join