It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My GP Told Me To Leave ATS.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
If your doctor is blaming a legitimate mental health issue on your reading material, I'd find another doctor. I just re-read Great Expectations by Dickens so maybe I can run down to the local MD and get a script for my resulting depression...
Find another doctor asap.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

Anyhow, I have been hearing voices...

I was wondering if they are telling you to hurt someone... yourself or others?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I do not think ATS is the source. You might want to try a forced lifestyle change of your habits.

Exercise often, eat right, if you smoke then quit, if you drink a lot then quit, etc

If you notice changes then it means you were just having a type of life crisis along with your body crying out to you to stop ruining oneself.

ATS does improve your secular awareness though but that usually doesn't push someone over the edge especially if it is just the internet. (personal experiences are what cause the most effects)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Websites don't cause paranoia. Mental illness does.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
This website isn't going to cause a breakdown due to doom and gloom predictions but having to deal with the outrageous behavior of haters and trolls that become overwhelming at times will.... I have been around here enough to have at times been obsessed with shooting down some of those types and have even gotten a few people to verbally act out and name call that they left or were banned... Playing that game kept me sharp at the time but my aging body and brain needs proper nutrition and oxygen enriched blood flow by way of exercise that I have a difficult time getting.... The daily doses of painkillers I have been taking for years are having negative effects on me as well.... I pop in here every so often to read some of the threads and on rare occasions will post if it is in reference to an issue I have knowledge of or have strong feelings about....After breaking away more and more I find that my interest in the topics has waned and I do not become invested enough to reply..... I feel better and get more things done that are neglected when I become highly involved in posting on a thread that I put myself on one side of to reasonably argue with those of an opposing side of the issue.... I have been on both sides of mental health treatment having worked in a supervisory position at a state hospital and a total of about eight months in V.A. Hospital treatment programs.... I have found that not allowing myself to take an adversarial stand against people who have strong emotional feelings about non emotional issues because of religious beliefs, political affiliations or hatred of people of a different color..... There is no reasonable way to deal with these kinds of people and the TPTB spend big bucks feeding them misinformation as a way of dividing the people of this country and most of the world over whatever emotional issue that will bring about hatred of other people.....When I remind myself that this is what is going on I don't have weird anxiety episodes, insomnia, hypertension, arrhythmia and paranoia....

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Bahhh.. What do Doctors know? Even paranoids have real enemies!

/* sarcasm off */

I think ATS is like any other thing in life that deals heavily on the dark and depressing topics. Try giving someone a general summary of what the top dozen threads at ATS are about during a major breaking catastrophe like a quake with major casualties or a war event that has very bad things about it. Then listen to yourself talk... It can be sobering.

Telling someone you're basically reading and talking with others about the finer points of body counts, ways those bodys become that way and just who, what and where all this is happening most on any given day in the world gets strange looks, so on second thought, don't try explaining it.
I won't even go where explaining the threads in Skunk Works or 2012 might lead for reactions out of those who don't follow such things.

I think the Doctor may have a point in at least as much as a break is a good thing and keeping perspective in all the doom, gloom and death talk is critical to mental health.

Yeah... I really do think too much, daily and without that perspective can lead to issues over a long enough period. Just me though.... and ATS wouldn't be the only place such a thought process could develop. Not by a long shot.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

I'm sorry you're going through such a hard time ALS. I always enjoy reading your posts, & am genuinely surprised that your mental health is in question. You have always struck me as very insightful, compassionate & wise.

I had suffered from anxiety/panic attacks for over 27 years, until finding this site nearly a year ago.
I am very well read on the subject, having always tried to find a solution. Years of psychiatrists, psychologists, counselors, anti-depressants did nothing to alleviate my condition (Most often enhancing symptoms & making me much worse). I swear I knew more about the physiological effects than most that I sought help from. A very lonely & depressing place to be. I was wayyy past despair.

Searching a dream meaning led me here, ATS.
I quickly found the hidden-hand material, which led me to the 'Law of One, Ra material'.
Out of the hundreds of books I've read, that is what has helped me the most.
So much resonated, that my long-held perceptions which kept me stuck, slowly melted away. For the first time in decades, I can get through a day without panic attacking. I had given up hope that it were even possible.
Every day is seeing me stronger mentally,more balanced & sooo much more calmer,(something only xanax could ever do), & I credit ATS for much of that. I used to get sucked right in to the doom & gloom, & panic with each new threatening thread. But the "ra materials' way of helping gain new perspective, sees me flexing my new brain power skills here daily.

Lol, now threads that once freaked me seem tame. In all honesty, I'm lucky to read most threads as they no longer hold my interest or attention. Maybe, I've just become desensitized, but I personally think its because the knowledge that I've gained has helped me finally find peace- incredible for someone who lived life like 'chicken little' for so long!

I wish you a speedy recovery, & truly hope you find something that resonates within you to help you find the peace & happiness you deserve.
Best of luck to you my friend

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Ignorance is bliss is what they say.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by boredsilly
Ignorance is bliss is what they say.

There has sure been more than one day during a major event happening in the world where I look around, see my neighbors who couldn't find the place things are happening on a map if their personal fortunes depended on it and wish I'd taken the blue pill a long time ago.

The red pill is very over-rated.

edit on 1-4-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SkipperJohn

True.

I have reduced the time that I spend on ATS because it's just too depressing as of late.

It's become the home base for the birthers, the Paulites, neo-nazis and general muckrakers.

Where's the common sense? Certainly not here!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I've been having a few apocalyptic dreams as well as some semi conscious sightings of someone standing beside my bed.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
Hello ATSer's.

I have recently had what some may call a mental breakdown. It's reason I haven't been hanging around ATS over the past few weeks.

Anyhow, I have been hearing voices, I have been having major panic attack. My personality seems to change from moment to moment, although I don't relise at the time.

My doctor believes I have bi-polar but she thinks my paranoia stems from my time at ATS.

I was just wondering your thoughts on this.

I wouldn't say that it's a direct result of ATS, but ATS will definitely be a factor.
It's your lifestyle and interests, habits and so on.
You would have to have some sort of predisposition really....

ATS does not help... there are a lot of crazy people and a lot of insane and ridiculous topics.

If you're treating ATS as some kind of handbook or serious news site while reading about secret societies, aliens, invisible beings feeling your bum or the end of the world etc... then that's not good.

ATS is pure entertainment... it's a bit of fun.

Yes there are serious discussions and yes there are some very good threads and topics discussed... but a lot of it is nonsense... weekly world news nonsense.

You need to just get off the INTERNET Full stop (period, for the Americans... we say full stop and not period) and get outside, soak up the sun and sit in nature and chill out man.

It's not good to be sat on ANY website for hours and hours at a time..

Certainly not one that many, many unstable and aggressive people meet and share ideas.... and negative, crazy and angry ideas too.

It's kinda like McMurphy in Cuckoo's Nest man....you may have come in for a bit of fun and been sound of mind...

You've done the right thing by seeing your GP and if I were you, I'd take his advice.

Just stop for a while, focus on getting better, start going outside more, take up a couple of evening classes, start writing stuff down perhaps, in a journal/diary whatever... you need an outlet.... a place to express your ideas.

Perhaps ATS just is not the place.

It's not a healthy place to spend a lot of time.

It's very negative and not good for the soul man.

I wish you all the best and I hope you get the help you need.

Take it easy mate

edit on 1/4/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
There are far more disturbing things than posts here available to everyone. It's all about what choices you make to to fill your consciousness with, then what you do once you engage with them. It has nothing to do with the "tools" and everything to do with your directivity using those tools. Example: guns don't kill people, people kill people with guns, or knives, or sticks, or a pencil, or a fist, or by breaking someones heart and spirit.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I can't speak from any professional point of view, but I can say that I once hung out on a parenting forum for many years. When I joined, I was an individualistic parent, with my own points of views, and a very passive personality. By the end of the second year, I realized I had let all these moms get into my head. There was this overall rude persona on there and it became a little piece of me. When I left I realized I was not that person, and I was shaped by this overall mood and attitude of hundreds of hormonal, self entitled,and closed-minded women. Perhaps I was weak and impressionable at that time of my life, it's not the first time I've seen it happen. Many people allow real life dramas shape who they are/become, why not internet life? Unfortunately, ATS is a source of news for many people. Forums, social networking, video games, and the internet in general has become part of our real lives. It's our source of entertainment, news, shopping, and even relationships in some cases. Point being, it can get into your head. Big time!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Words can be weapons that hurt and the hurt can be hard to shrug off sometimes. I think if you find that you are getting up from your keyboard angry more often than happy or relaxed or constructively informed, it might be time to take time to relax.

If you are in a crowd and a voice in the crowd tells you to jump in front of a bus, you are not going to do it. If a group of kids goes by and a voice in the group says something rude, you are not going to be that upset about it. Voices happen in life. I wouldn't take inner voices any more seriously than I would take outer voices.

Socrates said he had an inner voice that kept him from going wrong in logic.

You are in charge of yourself. No voice, inner or outer is in charge.
edit on 1-4-2012 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

I don't know enough information about you and your background to answer emphatically and 100% confidently whether ATS is the

CAUSE

of your paranoia

or not.

I would make two observations:

1. It IS highly likely that the paranoid tendencies were greatly entrenched before ATS existed.

2. You should be able to answer that for yourself--or your friends and relatives well could.

3. It IS ALSO HIGHLY LIKELY that ATS DOES help keep your paranoid thoughts wound up off and on to a fever pitch.

4. And, as the old saying goes from 40 years ago . . .

JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE PARANOID does NOT mean that THEY are NOT OUT TO GET YOU! LOL.

5. There are worse things than an extended break from ATS.

I don't know that this site would be a huge improvement for you but it MIGHT WELL be a calmer way to keep tabs on alternative news. It's the largest conservative site on the net:

www.freerepublic.com...

They don't allow any significant UFO stuff . . . They don't allow any truther stuff etc.

6. OVERCOMING paranoid stuff and panic attack, anxiety disorder stuff is a major challenge. imho, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to literally 'rewire' your thought-processes is a huge priority. I don't believe meds alone are the answer. Research indicates that meds can help provide some emotional space to rewire your "stinkin' thinkin' "

7. You likely need to devote most of your free time to rewiring your thinking and learning how to live in a chaotic falling apart world in an OVERCOMING way. No small challenge.

8. Also, the OVERCOMING PART of rewiring one's stinking thinking is crucial and applicable IN ANY CONTEXT--EVEN A POW context.

9. i.e. it is NOT per se, the CIRCUMSTANCES that AUTOMATICALLY HAVE to define your reality.

10. Viktor Frankl--Jewish psychiatrist in Hitler's death camp . . . discovered and wrote about in MAN'S SEARCH FOR MEANING that almost any meaningful connection to hopeful or constructive or life oriented things outside one's self can be life preserving.

11. YOU CAN LEARN to become OPTIMISTIC and CALM even in the face of mose crises situations that are real AS WELL AS UNREAL.

12. AT an unconscious, even emotional level--paranoid thoughts trigger the same FIGHT/FLIGHT response that real situations do. And that cortisol in your blood shortens your life IN THE BEST OF TIMES. It is IMPORTANT to rewire your thinking. THAT MUST BE YOUR HIGH PRIORITY.

13. The traitorous genocidal jerks trying to shove the world down their carefully engineered hell-hole will do whatever they are going to do WITH OR WITHOUT YOU BEING ON ATS. There is little to nothing you can do about that.

14. Constantly scanning the horizon for the least bit of threat in your field of view is exhausting and subtracts from your life. It is an obsessive habit that is as big a THREAT to you as a lot of things the powers that be MIGHT do.

15. YOU WILL HAVE BETTER RESOURCES TO DEAL WITH WHATEVER THE FUTURE HOLDS--mentally, emotionally, skills-wise

IF

you step-back and conentrate on getting your mental and emotional act together. THAT HAS TO BE YOUR HIGHER PRIORITY.

16. Otherwise, some globalist could just say "BOO" to you and you'd become a mass of ineffective protoplasm at their mercy. There's NO USE in that.

17. Learn to strengthen your relationships with those closest to you.

18. Learn to expand your options for having fun.

19. Learn to reward other people for small kindnesses and for being in your life.

20. Learn to give to some folks who can't give back--perhaps old folks in a hospice or other type home.

21. Learn some creative art or craft and devote a lot of time perfecting it. Brighten other lives through what you produce.

22. SLAP THE DESTRUCTIVE FORCES IN THE FACE

BY OVERCOMING your paranoia etc. It's THE BEST YOU CAN DO for now.

AND IT'S OK to admit and focus on that. ESSENTIAL, actually. imho.

May you have great success in your OVERCOMING EFFORTS.

--BX, PhD, Clinical Psychology

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

If you are in a crowd and a voice in the crowd tells you to jump in front of a bus, you are not going to do it. If a group of kids goes by and a voice in the group says something rude, you are not going to be that upset about it. Voices happen in life. I wouldn't take inner voices any more seriously than I would take outer voices.

INDEED.

GREAT INPUT.

If an 'inner voice' says something destructive, negative--tell it to get lost.

IGNOR IT WHOLESALE.

RESIST IT AT ALL COSTS.

FOCUS ON SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE AND CAPTIVATING that you are MORE passionate about.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I also want to add this quote...

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche

I feel It's relevant

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Everything in moderation my friend.

I come here everyday but I also understand 99% of what's here is
Utter crap.

It's the 1% that keeps me coming back.

Just enjoy life that's all we can strive for.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
When a doc's advice doesn't seem quite right, find another doc and get a second opinion.

Hang in there >^..^

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join