It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are running out of water.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by L00kingGlass

They can purify all the waters, they just have to want to set up desalination and use wind/wave or exotic Tesla energy and do the work they're paid to do, as employees of the people, no they don't want that. They need prison sentences for crimes against humanity and for allowing exploitation of humanity.

There is plenty of water.

Also they need to stop charging people for living on their home planet and within a few months erecting earthship homes that live off the grid, create their own power, recycle rain water, and grow food, built with recyled materials, well world starvation and hunger could be solved in a matter of months.

There are tons of solutions but they lack morality and goodness as they strive to emulate their demon overlords.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
No Matter What Your Politics, Why Is Anyone Living In Poverty?

Fishing in the Phoenix Earthship
edit on 29-3-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

The city of Phoenix is facing an interesting problem from over-tapping the aquifers under the city there....the entire Valley of the Sun is sinking as the aquifers are drained.

And an article covering the research of the problem that started back in the early 1900s.....we take water for granted but scenarios like this are pretty frightening actually.

Sinking feeling in Phoenix

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2
What about the ocean?

Desalinized water is potable and easy to refine. That being said, it's extremely lazy to say we are running out of water. There's also a nigh endless supply of underground wells that have yet to be tapped.... Soooo, ya. Not quite out of water yet.

Good point. Most Americans are not sophisticated enough to know that we have

the technology to turn salt water in the ocean into wonderful fresh water.

The US Navy does it with steam.

Civilian plants use reverse osmosis technology.

To say we are running out of water is adolescent. Just go look at the Pacific Ocean.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
well...well...well...i did see a special on water...enough under Brazil, Peru.
the Guaraní Aquifer - news.nationalgeographic.com...
and yet they are draining the great lakes to any and all purchasers.

well...wiskeys fer drinkin and waters fer fightin.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
The wars of the future will not be fought over oil, but water....

Much like alternative energy, technologies for turning undrinkable water into drinkable will be bought up and suppressed by industry, because scarcity brings value, and economic growth. Which is more important to us than survival and equality.

Just because we have the means to do the right thing, does not insure we will do it, look around!
edit on 29-3-2012 by Theorytripper because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

The city of Phoenix is facing an interesting problem from over-tapping the aquifers under the city there....the entire Valley of the Sun is sinking as the aquifers are drained.
reply to post by Voldemorton

I live in Phoenix and never heard about this problem. (I thought I was shrinking.:lol
)

Totally need to google this topic. Thanks.
edit on 29-3-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

FEAR MONGER ALERT! FEAR MONGER ALERT! that was the sound I was hearing when you try to convince me that I am going to run out of water because you heard of countries that lack the infrastructure to distribute their water.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Desalination does work and it needn't be expensive.

In Gibraltar all our potable water is from desalination, it costs me around £10 a month for cooking, cleaning, washing, drinking etc. so it can be done cheaply. Admittedly we are surrounded by water so distribution is at a very minimum.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Whatever water began here on earth, is most likely here to stay. Nice try, but it isn't going anywhere.

But, but, but! When we abuse our aquifers, all of that lovely freshwater gets cycled into the oceans. Not only does it then become unavailable for our needs, it also appears to contribute to rising sea levels. Check it out:

Most of the groundwater sprayed on thirsty croplands across America makes its way into streams and rivers. Even though much of the water seeps into the soil first, the vast majority never makes its way back into the aquifer. Instead, it heads toward the sea, where it eventually contributes a surprising share of global sea level rise, reports Leonard Konikow, a hydrogeologist with the U.S. Geological Survey.

news.discovery.com...

To the poster above: desalination isn't feasible for inland populations. Who are responsible for taxing the aquifers anyway. Expect bloating coastal populations to collide with the infrastructural damage caused by rising sea-levels when folks start to flee the new deserts. Perfect ****storm.

edit on 29-3-2012 by Eidolon23 because: ETA.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
When some places are having a drought while others places are having a flood, it could that there is enough water but never in the right place and/or at the right time.
edit on 29-3-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
In the state of Texas my Local lake has dropped 20.6 FT in less then a year. In San Antonio areas like bayer county they ran out of water and had to start using recycled sewage water. Here where I live San Antonio has been trying to take water from our lake for about a year know. They lost here in mhy county because america has a treaty agreement with Mexico to supply X amount of water therefore we cannot giveup water to a mega city. SO what the builders did was go along the 150 mile stretch between our lake and San Antonio and payed the Ranchers and Hunting ranches to put large Water pumps into the underground Major river systen that supplies our lake and as a result we lost 20.6 FT of level in less then a year and had to cut the flow to mexico 6 days ago. Our county has put junction type order on the ranchers and hunting ranches to temorarily stop the water leaving the river while the county takes them to supreme court to over rule any access off the 2 main rivers.
Yes america like many other nations are facing a slow but quicking water crises. ( My opinion, Over population= decrease in natural resources)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Answer to this problem.

Don't live in an area where there isn't water.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by lbndhr
In the state of Texas my Local lake has dropped 20.6 FT in less then a year. In San Antonio areas like bayer county they ran out of water and had to start using recycled sewage water. Here where I live San Antonio has been trying to take water from our lake for about a year know. They lost here in mhy county because america has a treaty agreement with Mexico to supply X amount of water therefore we cannot giveup water to a mega city. SO what the builders did was go along the 150 mile stretch between our lake and San Antonio and payed the Ranchers and Hunting ranches to put large Water pumps into the underground Major river systen that supplies our lake and as a result we lost 20.6 FT of level in less then a year and had to cut the flow to mexico 6 days ago. Our county has put junction type order on the ranchers and hunting ranches to temorarily stop the water leaving the river while the county takes them to supreme court to over rule any access off the 2 main rivers.
Yes america like many other nations are facing a slow but quicking water crises. ( My opinion, Over population= decrease in natural resources)

Israel found a solution: Desalination

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
We are not running out of water.

If you live near a desert, it may seem that you are running out of water.

Move to the upper midwest, you will think "we have way too much water".

There are the Great Lakes, the massive rivers, lakes everywhere, ancient glacial aquifers that can be tapped.

No danger of running out of water.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I don't think it's too much of a problem.

There's much research going into the purification of not only fresh water, but sea water into drinkable water on the nanoscale. There's many companies & universities researching nanocomposites to make it cheap & effective.

I'm fairly confident that by the time it becomes an issue, we'll have more than enough ways to purify almost all the water at hand, anywhere on earth.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Wait, OP, we "need" oil?

We "need" H2O to survive. We can get by with dozens of new patents that are currently not being put into public use that make oil obsolete....when that day comes?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by dymiox
Wait, OP, we "need" oil?

We "need" H2O to survive. We can get by with dozens of new patents that are currently not being put into public use that make oil obsolete....when that day comes?

I agree with you but I figured that was a topic for another day.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
In the navy, we use desalination on board all our ships. Fresh water is essential for a boiler to work (you can't use salt water).

The main problem with desalination is that it takes energy to do that, and you'll have to then pipe that water inland from the coastal areas.

None of these are huge problems that can not be over come. I'm sure desalination plants can run on green energy, however the piping might be a problem, especially if you are having to make a pipeline though areas that are protected (environmentalists). While the water itself is of course not dangerous to the environment, they'll be concerned with the pipeline itself. Disrupting or destroying habitats to build it.

At the same time however, I'm not seeing any real headlines about water shortages, except places like Texas last year with the severe rain shortage they had (and during the winter). I can see where places like that, who are in drought conditions should be concerned.

I do have to agree though: if major population centers in the desert are having the most problem, then the answer is simple: don't build there! hehehehe.

I know, I know, a over simplified answer, but it runs along the same lines as so many people being shocked when they build in hurricane prone areas, and one comes along to wipe them out. Or building along major fault lines......or on the sides or near a volcano.......

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

We have plenty of water 2/3 of the earth is water.

The problem is that instead of making solar powered desalinization factories for sea water and having huge pipelines for the transportation of water, we have wars, thousands of miles of oils pipelines, and corporate lobbyists that will push for things that are only profitable.

Unsustainable pathways lead to what?

edit on 29-3-2012 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful
In the navy, we use desalination on board all our ships. Fresh water is essential for a boiler to work (you can't use salt water).

The main problem with desalination is that it takes energy to do that, and you'll have to then pipe that water inland from the coastal areas.

None of these are huge problems that can not be over come. I'm sure desalination plants can run on green energy, however the piping might be a problem, especially if you are having to make a pipeline though areas that are protected (environmentalists). While the water itself is of course not dangerous to the environment, they'll be concerned with the pipeline itself. Disrupting or destroying habitats to build it.

At the same time however, I'm not seeing any real headlines about water shortages, except places like Texas last year with the severe rain shortage they had (and during the winter). I can see where places like that, who are in drought conditions should be concerned.

I do have to agree though: if major population centers in the desert are having the most problem, then the answer is simple: don't build there! hehehehe.

I know, I know, a over simplified answer, but it runs along the same lines as so many people being shocked when they build in hurricane prone areas, and one comes along to wipe them out. Or building along major fault lines......or on the sides or near a volcano.......

Energy is becoming cheaper.

The price of natural gas is falling fast.

Siemens and GE are building gas turbine power plants everywhere.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join