It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are running out of water.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Addressing the title directly.

We're not running out of water, we have oodles, its about delivering it, and we have the pipes and technology.

We're not running out of Energy, infinite amounts, and so many solutions. So there is no excuse for not purifying watever is needed.

We're also not running out of the BS peddled to us by this mismanaging group of criminals,that seems also exuberant in supply.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jassu
reply to post by cavalryscout

While I agree that we should watch our fresh water usage, I dont think there is a huge water crisis. We can remove salt from the ocean and are only getting better and better at it. I guess what we should be really worried about is maintaining our Ocean....which we have not done. (Oil Spills, garbage gyres, Radiation)

and how do you plan to transport that water from the ocean to in land?

ever tried carrying 3 sq ft of water up the stairs?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

....maybe we should all cut back on water usage. Someday we may wish we had that water we watched go down the drain.

Maybe check out the stats on industrial water usage and info on aquifer depletion.

S&F for an important topic.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by wlasikiewicz

What IS decreasing is access to freshwater worldwide. Got oil? You can't drink it and lack of fresh water is one sure as hell way WW-3 could start.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

The whole "ice cap melting = sea levels rising" argument is a hoax.

Um, no it is not. If ALL the ice melted the rise would be around 76metres in sea level. I agree that it is not going to happen, but the figures are not a hoax.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by XaniMatriX
I dont think people should worry about this, water will always be on this planet, it doesnt leave or disapear into the abyss without ever returning, its in a constant cycle, doesnt matter that only in the cities the water is polluted, cause if you didnt know, EARTH would clean and purify that water on its own. Yes we pollute the waters, only in the city's, and the whole "population is going up, so we need to spend more money" is BS. They are writing these articles for people like you, so that you wake up every morning being afraid of water shortages and have absolutely no problem paying higher taxes, higher bills, for "CLEAN" water.

Uhh.. you are sadly mistaken about where the watersheds are polluted, dude. They are polluted -everywhere-.

We killed the planet.
We are not stopping.
We are doomed.

The time for action was in the 80s and we blew it.
edit on 29-3-2012 by Furbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Furbs
Uhh.. you are sadly mistaken about where the watersheds are polluted, dude. They are polluted -everywhere-.

Not necessarily. Water that runs through rock is, depending upon the rock, filtered naturally. As is water that runs through reed beds and gravel beds. Sand too can filter out impurities. However, much mining, especially gold mining, forces cyanide into the rock...to flush out the gold, and this can have a devastating effect on flora and fauna in the immediate areas and contaminate rock debris that is then flushed into the water supply...so overall, yes, you're right.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

Perhaps you should get a better map source.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
In Canada there are thousands of freshwater lakes. We wont run out any time soon.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattime
In Canada there are thousands of freshwater lakes. We wont run out any time soon.

I was just boating up there doing some trout fishing and man do I love it up there!

You guys have some very serene and surreal lakes up there. We boat from Cleveland to Ontario on fishing expeditions and the catches up there are huge!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I scream about this all the time and people look at me like I'm some kind of lunatic.

Since reality is no longer allowed in our society because it's some sort of "taboo" subject, I'm not sure exactly what can be done about it. Desalination better become practical/affordable real quick otherwise there will be wars over lake Baikal.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Deforestation, land clearing for farming and reclaiming swamps for new housing estates all disrupt the natural ecology. Trees keep the soil rich, swamps promote a natural water environment for animals like frogs which in turn produces more precipitation. Bring back, swamps, trees in farm land instead of barren paddocks and watch the water return. New infrastructure will go a long way in supporting our burgeoning populations but of course that is an expense government will not freely part with.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Its up to our goverments to sort these problems out. If they actually stop wasting tax payers money on crap people of the world wouldnt go hungry or go with out water. I give an example.

Here in Melbourne, Australia we were in drought for 10-15 years , it hadn't rained for 10 years properly and our water storage's went below 25%, They put some hefty water restrictions in place to stop us from wasting water. thank god it has started raining the last couple of years and we are back up over 60% Our government at the time decided they would spend billions of dollars on a desalination plant that still is not ready and wont be for some time. Seriously who wants to drink that crap water big waste of money.

As many may know the north of australia is flood ridden every year , So what i dont understand why couldnt they work all together build catchments in the north build pipes to supply that water Australia wide if needed and bang crisis fixed. Australia would never go with out water.

So my point is im sure this can be done all around the world and its just so sad that as a human race we cant work together for the greater good . no one should go with out water because in sme areas it rains so much water rises 10meters high and just washes out into rivers and sea where it can be caught and supplied to those who need it
edit on 29-3-2012 by gate13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Old news to folks where I live in Tucson, AZ. This city has one of the lowest per-capita water use rates in North America as it sits in the Sonoran Desert. The local gov has been pro-active with laws enforcing low flow shower heads and toilets and the landscaping is mostly gravel and cactus as opposed to the golf courses and lawns of desert cities like Phoenix and Las Vegas.

Of course water is a huge issue. The biggest issue of all, though, is the exponentially exploding population coupled with a seemingly willfull lack of planning by our species. We are past the stage of "going forth and multiplying" with impunity, at least until our tech and economics catch up to our mass baby production.

We are now able to practice baby making without actually growing them and my humble suggestion is to at least broach the subject of mandatory birth control before nature does it for us.

Of course, the shouts of "draconian measures" and "1984" and "we don't wanna be China" are going to drown out the rational discourse and we will gradually let our world's ability to substain us dwindle because on the whole, we are a stupid, deluded bunch.

Many people actually believe they have the right to procreate the rest of us to death. Large families just aren't cute anymore.

Sorry, I forgot to take my meds today.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Furbs

You must be joking, the time is over? really? you havnt even reached your death bed yet and your telling me its over? so sad, we have such great potential and most of you are wasting your time on this fear machine, water will NEVER RUN OUT!!! those polluted areas are being filtered by earth as we speak, you know how magicians work, they make you look in one direction while the truth is in the other. They only show people the polluted areas, just like over popullation, they only show the poppulated areas, second, our poppulation count hasnt went up or down in a while, and dont give me someone elses statistics, unless you your self went out there and counted every breathing body out there.

Its not BAD out there, the waters ARE CLEAN!! who are we to judge weather they are not, you know how much chemicals a volcano releases? any idea? you know how much they pollute the water, yet there is soo much clean water out there, if it was as bad as you say, we wouldnt be having this conversation.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
There is water around us I believe.
I'm sorry for posting this un needed pun in such a topic

BUT...On a serious note, Thames water have been warning everyone about a drought here in the Uk..Which to my amusement I found hilarious when couple of days later I read in the private eye, how much water is wasted by broken and damaged pipes and it ended up to be a humongous amount.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Yes, I agree, most people are not aware of the water war that is going on right now as we speak. Many people will die countries will become nonexistent.
I am lucky because I live in MIchigan , the water wonder land , we are surrounded by water lakes big and small all over the place. All of the companies that have left Michigan will soon be be returning or want to return, because in terms of water Michigan is King. I offten point out that the shape of the state of Michigan form the palm of a hand from God, aliens, what ever that Michigan will be the place you want to be.
The only bi problem is those who would destroy the Great Lakes with their ignorance, I'm talking about the high pressure injection wells and such that have no business even near the Great Lakes, I believe all of these people should be shot, for their ignorance and greed, putting the Great Lakes at risk of a mistake just has occurred in Japan due to ignorance and stupidly of those in charge.

One thing though is if the electric keeps going and you have a humidifier you can make your own water. They sell the one that make water for about 800 bucks but I have some cheap ones cost about a 100 bucks, makes enough to survive.

edit on 29-3-2012 by googolplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
sometime in maybe the near future,we may have kettles that on boiling ,catches the steam and thus produce water as a sort of recycling method just a thought .. or steam in general from most things in house etc. maybe one of u guys with some better intellect than i, can explain this or shall i say method that might work for us?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Water prices will go up, no doubt. But running out of clean water is something much more major for poorer countries that cannot afford an industry to clean their water. These kinds of countries either drink dirty water or they buy it. And if water prices go up, how will they afford it? But then again, the technology that cleans water is only going to get better and the rest of the world is developing, not going backwards. But the problem definitely will remain. THERE ARE water problems, sometimes severe. That cannot be denied.

I wonder if indoor farming will be favored as a result since indoor farming uses less water?

See links:
nevadanaturals.com ...
www.huffingtonpost.c om ...

There's also this (kind of interesting):
www.physorg.com ...

Also... this could potentially use bad water:
news.stanford.edu ...

And... what's this:
www.innovationnewsdaily.com ...
edit on 29-3-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

One more reason why we should be investing in getting off this planet and finding new worlds to colonize. Yet I hear people all the time talking about how NASA and space travel in general are a waste of funding. This planet doesn't have unlimited resources and there's around 7 billion people on it, that's an increase of around six billion just in the last hundred years or so.

We need to get off this planet or things are gonna get really bad. Maybe Newt Gingrich's moon colony wasn't such a bad idea, I mean we did find water on the moon

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join