It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are running out of water.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Originally posted by Biliverdin

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
reply to post by cavalryscout

We can live off fruit juice.... tastes much nicer and is more healthy!!

We can also live off coconut milk!!

If you have a garden, grow some fruit!

Most fruit has a high percentage of water...and therefore needs water to produce juice. A little common sense.

Very true.... but.... how about digging a hole, making a pond, fill it with water (which will last a good while), even cover it with plastic so it won't evaporate too fast, then plant your trees, bushes into the pond!!

From detached: Plants need water. Where are you planning to get the water to feed the inefficient plants while waiting for (presumably seasonal) fruit to grow?

You may as well cut out the waste and just drink the water.

You can fill up from an Ocean or Sea and take it back to fill the pond.... you don't drinking water for a pond!!
edit on 29-3-2012 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

I'm afraid you're not thinking this through very clearly.

You need to be living on the coast for this to be a possibility, and in that case you may as well just invest in desalinization.

You try feeding your fruit trees salt water and see how that works out for you.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by QueenofWeird

Imo the problem is not there isn't enough of anything but just too much greed and short term thinking. Our planet is a closed circle with a tiny bit of evaporation out into space. Some processess indeed degrade the quality (think burning gas) so that the waste product can't be used again for the same purpose (or maybe even another).

I agree to an extent. But everything progresses through the states of matter in my opinion. Liquid, gas, energy, solid... nothing is ever truly lost, it's just transferred - like energy is simply transferred.

Our problem is that we are using too much, interrupting the natural order until it becomes unstable.

But, something needs to be made clear here... the Earth will carry on. We are not destroying the planet, we're simply making it less able to support US as a lifeform.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

What would someone dieing of thirst need that much water for......they are trying to keep alive.

My dehumidifier is only small......so you could with a much larger one yes...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
This is quite interesting.

Where I live in the US, you can sink a well anywhere, and at 80 feet, hit water. My own well is 110 feet deep (just to get to the pure water with no sand in it).
The amount of yearly rain fall we get is on the high side.

The other kicker is this: all the water that goes down my drain? It goes to a septic tank, with a dispersion field. In other words: the water we use, is being put back down in the ground every day.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
If you really want to see something disturbing about this check out the documentary called 'Tapped'. Its available on Netflix streaming. After watching it I literally have not bought a bottle of water since. It talks about how Nestle comes into town's without asking and just sucks water out of their already shortened supply lakes. In small towns. Then they use it to bottle and sell for money. There's also a part where they take samples from the middle of the ocean and there are tons of plastic particles floating around in it, more then the plankton samples that were in it. It's disgusting.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Actually i should have said build a glass-house not cover with plastic!!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
So I wrote an op-ed for a University paper serving 50,000 people in 2000 called "Water Crisis Sucks Us Into Revolution"

Water Crisis Sucks Us into Revolution: April, 2000 MN Daily The Great Lakes will be at record lows because of lack of snow that feeds 40 percent of their annual water supply. This disturbing situation has been attributed to global warming, and according to the United Nations, the influence of major transnational corporations extends over about 50 percent of all greenhouse gas emissions. What's received less attention is that large corporations are also attempting to raid the Great Lakes. One government agency already gave permission for 600 million liters of Great Lakes water to be filled into tankers and sent to Asia over the next five years. A temporary moratorium was achieved, but the move to conserve water will be brought to the World Trade Organization as a violation of the supposed rights of corporate rule. Through Reaganite corporate-state subsidies, California ironically has become the new dairy state at the expense of rural Wisconsin family livelihood -- including their future ability to drink water. California recently attempted to pipe water from Wisconsin. According to the Worldwatch Institute, agriculture accounts for two-thirds of all irrigated fresh water use while industrial production in general accounts for 50 to 80 percent of fresh water demand. But it's not just corporate-state water use in California; it's also the corporate pollution of water. Silicon "computer" Valley has more Superfund sites -- most of them affecting groundwater -- than any other area its size in the country. And 60 percent of the United States' liquid hazardous wastes -- 34 billion liters of solvents, heavy metals and radioactive materials -- is directly injected into the ground, the main source for fresh water. In 1996, the journal Science reported that the global supply of fresh water will be used up in 30 years at current usage rates. According to the Stanford researchers who authored the study, there is no "hidden water," and current foreseeable technologies, like desalinization, were factored into their findings. But greed-driven corporations are tapping into that grim projection to maximize profits for their own pea-brained drive to extinction. In just a few short years, through more than 130 acquisitions, American Toxic Control has been transformed into U.S. Filter Inc., with $5 billion in annual revenues, making it 10 times the size of its nearest competitor. As controller at U.S. Filter, Richard Heckmann states, "How could it be that there is no Intel, I.B.M., General Motors or Toys 'R' Us in the water business?" he asked. "You can live without all those things. Five days without water, you're dead." Apparently Dan Quayle agrees since he sits on the U.S. Filter Inc. board, joined by the Bass brother finance speculators who threw in a cool, refreshing $250 million. The time is right to create a giant corporation that transforms the public right to water into a scarce luxury item for those privy to the secret magic of money. Based on a 1998 water study by Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health, "To avoid catastrophe ... it is important to act now." Our clear answer to the water crisis, according to the scientific researchers, can be summed up in one word: conservation. Secret global corporate rule, though, blocks environmental issues, labeling them barriers to corporate WTO trade. U.S. corporate-state rule has been consistent in its priorities ever since the founding aristocrats, like John Jay, planned to keep the rich in power against the threat of democracy. George Kennan, as head of the State Department, authored a top-secret document that reflects these elite goals on a global scale: "We have about 50 percent of the world's wealth, but only 6.3 percent of its population ... Our real task in the coming period is to devise a pattern of relationships which will permit us to maintain this position of disparity ... We should cease to talk about vague and -- for the Far East -- unreal objectives such as human rights, the raising of the living standards and democratization ... The less we are then hampered by idealistic slogans, the better."

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Yes ok, but Nature has instilled us with that need to multiply multiply and yet again multiply. Now killing off people is not that nice
so indeed something will have to give. I hope that our brilliant minds will find win-win solutions.
edit on 29-3-2012 by QueenofWeird because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Similarly, now declassified U.S. National Security Council documents clearly outline policies to support destructive regimes in order to maintain wealth for the corporate-state elite. In fact, after World War II, the U.S. corporate-state elite attacked democracy movements worldwide and reinstated fascist regimes, brutally promoting power to a few. There's an interesting hidden history to undemocratic, destructive corporate rule. Did colonists plead for a more "socially responsible" king? The colonists demanded their inalienable, natural right to sovereignty. The king, though, was the only sovereign of the land and the king was also the only source of corporate charters. Most of the 13 colonies were actually crown charters (i.e. the Massachusetts Bay Trading Company). The list of grievances attached to the Declaration of Independence stemmed from the corporate rule of the king. After democracy was achieved, corporate charters were deliberately put into the hands of the state legislatures, were issued for only special purposes and had extremely limited powers. Corporate charters were routinely revoked and the corporate assets reinvested by the public. President Lincoln warned, though, shortly after the Civil War, that the growing threat of corporate rule was worse than the war and would, unless stopped, destroy the republic. Just as he predicted in 1886, a bought-out robber-baron judge declared that corporations are protected by the Bill of Rights and have legal "personhood" -- thus subverting our democracy. That same year 230 state laws controlling corporations were overturned in district courts. Between 1890 and 1910, 307 cases went to the Supreme Court based on the anti-slavery 14th Amendment. But only 19 cases were from African-Americans, while 288 were corporations seeking their new constitutional personhood "right to due process." The Bill of Rights ironically continues to be the main vehicle for destructive undemocratic corporate rule. Most state constitutions still require the attorney general to revoke the charter of any corporation that continuously violates the public good. With the knowledge of this hidden history exposed, in the last few years the public has rescinded two corporate charters. The global sovereignty movement grows increasingly thirsty for democratic revolution. The future of water depends on declaring independence from corporate rule.

I had posted it on this thread concerned about losing individual property rights to water

Which then leads to this thread about the new federal control of the Great Lakes water supply in lieu of the global water crisis

O.K. so then I have a distant relative from Sweden who works for the World Bank and I looked him up online and he's considered one of the "fathers" of water privatization that led to the water crises in Argentina and Bolivia among other places.

This global water privatization is patronizingly sold as helping the poor people in "developing" countries get access to clean water.

The World Bank is just a huge neocolonial parasitism -- with the poor paying more in interest on debt than the poor receive money in loans -- it's a huge mafia institution as part of a global thuggery.

People maintained sustainable water resources for thousands of years but it's due to Westernization -- a linear time model based on "development" that is really just a materialist obsession with greed due to personal psychological control fixations.

So in these water threads you have fixation over individual property rights or against government control or some sort of technological fix -- sorry but none of these are correct.

Mother Nature is in control - Mother Nature makes the best clean water by the forest transpiring water just as plants create oxygen for humans to breathe. This idea that we can just extract water -- it goes back to the origins of civilization in Western Asia -- so limestone was created to make the houses water proof. What happened? Cut down and burn all the forests to make the lime from the ashes -- so you get water proof housing. Now what? No more trees so then no more rain -- and then drought and then the water tables run dry and then desertification.

That is the future of civilization as Western Asia and North Africa are clearly deserts. Desertification is a huge problem -- so people try to plant more trees but tree farms are not ecology. There needs to be a change of how food is grown with diversity of plants and animals -- not vast monoculture food. Yes the water crisis is here already and the lesson learned is that humans are only the last 2 minutes of 24 hours of biological life on Earth. We are no different from yeast bacteria eating up the sugar supply to grow and then die off. Mother Nature will remain to start ecology over again.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Bout all I want to say is the Earth is NOT almost out of water. There are technologies now that can convert the 70% PLUS WATER on this Planet to drinking water if needed be.........

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by QueenofWeird

Yes ok, but Nature has instilled us with that need to multiply multiply and yet again multiply. Now killing off people is not that nice
so indeed something will have to give. I hope that our brilliant minds will find win-win solutions.
edit on 29-3-2012 by QueenofWeird because: (no reason given)

Unfortunately we won't. Or at least I don't think we'll have a solution until we're on the brink.

Governments need continual growth of the population to continue economic expansion. Combined with the political need to placate the largest audience, you have an ineffectual system where the inevitable result is an increasing population problem.

No government is going to start actually suggesting a cap on birth rates. That would be political suicide.

But at the same time, governments need an increasing population to expand the wealth of the country, to funnel funds to the top and keep those in positions of wealth and authority in their position.

Fortunately, that economic problem will probably end soon as the € collapses. We're about to see the biggest financial collapse the world has ever witnessed.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
So we have massive oceans, whereby 90% of the earth is water and we are running out?

hmm, something smells fishy here, nice post but I don't believe it.

We know water is going to be used as a weapon but there is no reason why we should run out.

You can stop rain falling by spraying in the skies.

we can easily produce all the water we require if we want to. Unfortunatley the banks have stolen all the money and don't want to share it.

Desalination
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Ultimately we have only one problem - energy supply. All other problems are just symptoms of this one - water scarcity can be solved by desalination plants.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Many years ago I read a sci-fi book on future cities, one city built by an ocean towed huge fresh water icebergs down from the arctic, fixed a huge plastic bag underneath it, and as the sun melted it, collected the fresh water for its city, although no mention was made about what happened to the 'waste' water, an idea to think about.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Some of you people are just chronic doomers. Your life revolves around bringing down anyone with a positive attitude. You will not be satisfied until you have the whole world as miserable as you, after all....... in your mind it's only fair. Well go off to your cave and relish the darkness while the rest of the world relishes the wonder of it all. One day they will throw dirt on your sorry body and you misery will have come to an end, you will have contributed nothing, and so will your reward be.... nothing.

Meanwhile the wondrous world above ground will have continued pressing on and continuing all the great things the human condition excels at. Your attempt to bring the world to your desired misery level will have been in vain. Spare us your selfish rants, and go wallow in the world you have created for yourselves. Hide your lamp in the darkness.

edit on 29-3-2012 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-3-2012 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
While I myself don't see the earth running out of water anytime soon if it ever did I have one word "stillsuit". I think those would be really cool to have.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Plotus

Yes I agree that the world is a great place but I want it to continue to be great and if we just ignore things like this it will be our kid's who suffer that's why we should give a dam about it.
Look at all the environmental studies done into this subject, Iam amazed that people just don't care or are to pig headed to admit there is a problem.
Like detached said above it is many things that will contribute to things going bad, not enough space,water,soil and most importantly energy.
Should we just ignore it and carry on as nothing will happen?
edit on 29-3-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
DESALINIZATION of ocean water is a REAL ALTERNATIVE.

It's a SHAME that there are not more investments in researches on new, cheaper, dessalinization technologies.

Most of the world population live within less than 100 miles from the coast. Desalinization is the real deal.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
By the time we run out of water we'll have mastered salt water -> fresh water conversion. We really do need to stop dumping waste material in our water as well.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

i don't think we have a water problem. we have a population problem so many of the areas that have problems with resources are the same areas that their population breeds like animals. maybe this is just mother nature's way of say ; enough.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join