It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think I'll be tossing my micro now...

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

I doubt it. In the grand scheme of things the best way for population control is thru food. And everyone uses a micro cause there just so darn convenient. Big money, corporations, questionable ethics, microwave radiation, high cancer rates, and soggy tough food.... sounds like a bad play at a roadside diner.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Is that in the bubble or in the water?

I ask this cause millions of dollars have been spent on research of the boiling point water... its not getting any hotter than 212F degrees that's a thermodynamic law!

Unless under pressure, but we're not talking about that are we?

And that is at sealevel... so there is a good chance that his water isn't even reaching 212F

unless your talking about heavy water? which i have no idea

Phage your not getting me on this one... I do not know how to post links yet... please be patient!
edit on 28-3-2012 by putnamcrab because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-3-2012 by putnamcrab because: sorry Phage forget the F

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage,
Why is this thread about an established email-chain HOAX still alive?
Link to Earlier Post about Microwave Hoax
Best regards,
Z

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DrZrD

I don't know.
Ask a mod.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
As a result microwave ovens were banned in Russia in 1976; the ban was lifted after Perestroika.

LInk: wiki.answers.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by DrZrD

I don't know.
Ask a mod.

Yeah, ask a mod.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Okay Phage... it seems clear clean distilled water placed a smooth container with no bubbles can superheat...

But we are not talking about that particular theory are we?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by putnamcrab

It's not really theory but you brought it up when you said that water can't be heated beyond 212º.

The "experiment" is stupid, even if it were real.
I rarely use my microwave oven. Especially since the control keypad went wonky.

edit on 3/28/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I simply meant water boils at 212F under normal conditions in a microwave... normal conditions are assumed

The poster wouldn't have pathogens in his distilled water, if he did it would boil at 212F

But good job for keeping everyone honest!
edit on 28-3-2012 by putnamcrab because: A star for Phage

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Does it mention what kind of vessel she used to heat the water in the microwave? Like a non microwave safe plastic bowl perhaps? The results would surely vary based on that alone.
Also, what was the source of the water? Heating to a boil in a microwave is a bit different than heating to a boil in a pan on a stove. The quick boil method probably doesn't sterilize as much as slow boil. The slow boil will be boiling longer, and when removed from heat, it will take longer to cool than the quick boiled water.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The experiment may or may not be valid, certainly not scientific. But if I have two plants and water one with my well water and one with a a tablespoon of salt added to the well water and the plant with the additional salt dies, I don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that the additional salt probably isn't a good idea.

Also, if anyone has a subscription to "Lancet", medical journals, they could get more information. However, this one point below, in spite of aaaaallllll the other opinions and valid/invalid input, is enough to make me not want to use a microwave.

Dr. Lita Lee of Hawaii reported in the December 9, 1989 Lancet:
"Microwaving baby formulas converted certain trans-amino acids into their synthetic cisisomers.
Synthetic isomers, whether cis-amino acids or trans-fatty acids, are not
biologically active. Further, one of the amino acids, L-proline, was converted to its disomer,
which is known to be neurotoxic (poisonous to the nervous system) and
nephrotoxic (poisonous to the kidneys).

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xterrain
Yep...I 'll be boiling stuff if I need it 'quick' from now on. How do I cook a microwavable burrito without using my microwave?

There are a couple of ways:

1.) Wrap burrito in aluminum foil. Place on the metal baking tray that comes with the toaster oven. Set the toaster oven for 350 degrees and set timer for 20 minutes.

2.) use a non-stick pan (with cover) large enough for the burrito. Place pan on burner on lowest setting (warm).
Cover pan. Set timer for 10 minutes. Check after 10 min. & turn burito over. Place cover back on. Set timer for 5 to 10 minutes. Burrito should be hot throughout.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by princeguy
reply to post by shauny

I doubt it. In the grand scheme of things the best way for population control is thru food. And everyone uses a micro cause there just so darn convenient.

No, most people use battered pots heated over burning animal dung. The only populations that use microwave ovens regularly are the ones that are already reproducing very near or below replacement rate. If you really wanted to depopulate the world you would confiscate the animal dung so the teeming masses that have six kids apiece starve.

First world problems, meet first world conspiracy theories.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by putnamcrab
reply to post by randomname

Microwave ovens do not even kill patheons in drinking water.

That's interesting because a current kitchen tip is to use the microwave to kill bacteria in sponges.

Just throw a wet sponge in the microwave and hit it for a minute. Let it cool before handling.

So you're saying it's worthless for sterilization.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrZrD
reply to post by princeguy

A internet hoax that first circulated 5 years ago; see link below.

Snopes

Note that the blind plant vitality tests run at Snopes.Com favored the microwaved water over thermally boiled and unboiled water.

This is a 5 year old HOAX that has no place on ATS.

Best regards,
Z

I do not trust the reassurances of Snopes.com. Who funds these people?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by googolplex
As a result microwave ovens were banned in Russia in 1976; the ban was lifted after Perestroika.

LInk: wiki.answers.com...

Thanks for the link, Googolplex.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AuranVector

Yeah! go get a cup of ditch water and put'er to the test there Buddy!

now take that nuked sponge and smell it after two days... if it has any unpleasant smell to the slightest, it has living anaerobic bacteria on it which will make you sick

edit on 29-3-2012 by putnamcrab because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwasneverhere
reply to post by CaptChaos

Well let's look at it this way. The whole premise of this argument is that heating water by microwave radiation will tear apart the molecules causing some strange elements

That's not the argument....and I don't know why this is small.

In intervals of two to five days, the volunteers in the study received one of the following food variants on an empty stomach: (1) raw milk; (2) the same milk conventionally cooked; (3) pasteurized milk; (4) the same raw milks cooked in a microwave oven; (5) raw vegetables from an organic farm; (6) the same vegetables cooked conventionally; (7) the same vegetables frozen and defrosted in a microwave oven; and (8) the same vegetables cooked in the microwave oven. Once the volunteers were isolated, blood samples were taken from every volunteer immediately before eating. Then, blood samples were taken at defined intervals after eating from the above milk or vegetable preparations.

Significant changes were discovered in the blood samples from the intervals following the foods cooked in the microwave oven. These changes included a decrease in all hemoglobin and cholesterol values, especially the ratio of HDL (good cholesterol) and LDL (bad cholesterol) values. Lymphocytes (white blood cells) showed a more distinct short-term decrease following the intake of microwaved food than after the intake of all the other variants. Each of these indicators pointed to degeneration.

www.globalhealingcenter.com...
edit on 29-3-2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

Do not use distilled water, it will drain nutrients from plants, cause it lacks nutrients

Do not use tap water cause it has chlormine, deadly chemical that kills plant growth in pipes

If you use tap water you must first airate the chlorine gas out of it, the chlorine in the water will kill the plants

use rain, ditch, pond, lake, bottled water only for your experiment or you will get mixed data

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofNight

Originally posted by Turq1
reply to post by ofNight

But when do they get cancer? In their 40s, 50s ect. I'm not saying microwaves contribute to cancer, wouldn't surprise me though, but its the cumulative effect that is the problem with a lot of pollutants.

There are enough carcinogens that you ingest on a daily basis that saying microwaves are the single cause is silly. People can throw out their microwaves all they'd like, carcinogens are in the air they breath and the water they drink. We all die somehow, I say that if you enjoy microwaved foods -- eat it. If the microwave doesn't get you, something else inevitably will.

edit on 28-3-2012 by ofNight because: (no reason given)

And where did I say it was the single cause. I said it's the cumulative effect of pollutants that is the problem, which you disregarded. I even said "I'm not saying microwaves contribute to cancer".

You can misread what I said if you want, but it's still right.

edit on 29-3-2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join