It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think I'll be tossing my micro now...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Don't chuck it or throw it away just cut off the cord and use it for a FARADAY CAGE to protect your electronic devices from EMP and solar flares.

www.utahpreppers.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I'll do a thousand seeds at once, no big deal. We'll see first if they even germinate. Someone posted above that they've done that several times, and the microwaved water will NOT germinate the seeds. So we'll see. Only takes a few days.

If they all germinate, or equal amounts, I'll take it from there.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Either way, I don't need a study done by some Monsanto funded scientists at Stanford. I can do plant experiments myself.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I'm going to take a guess that the water in this experiment was microwaved in a plastic container.

Guess what happens when you heat up most types of plastics? They soften. Some parts of the chain molecules break up, additives to the plastic can leach out. You get things like biphenyls and such. Guess where those substances go?

Do the test over again, but microwave the water in a glassware container. I bet the test would turn out different.

It's also why I prefer glassware over plastic whenever cooking in a microwave, even vs. "microwave safe" plastics. Not so much that the plastics themselves will break down from microwaves, but once whatever is inside the plastic container gets hot enough - it gets some byproducts of the plastic in it.

In my opinion, microwaves themselves aren't necessarily bad, but how they are used should have some common sense applied.

link   
I actually now can't wait to find out.

I'm going out to buy some seeds now.

link   
My daughter did the microwave water vs plain water on plants experiement in grade school.
Both plants did just the same. The microwaved water was no different than the tap water.
AND I really use the microwave a lot now ... I won't be giving it up anytime soon.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I used to have a microwave but it went out one day, after about five years, this was about four years ago, and I never replaced it. So I don't have a microwave. Actually I don't even miss it. Of course I didn't get rid of it on purpose, but now that I think of it, perhaps there are health benefits we are not aware of. Even if not, I don't miss it.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I did not read entire thread, but from what I understand the Russian's have banned the micro wave oven for sometime now.
I don't use them that much, probably won't buy another one, I always yell at people to get the hell away from the thing. You should be at least 10 feet away when the thing is on.
And the myth buster's, were way off on the exploding water thing, watch out happened to me a couple of times.

OH yea, one of the biggest things, is the stand time, people say what is stand time, Da. For those that don't know it means if you don't let your micro waved food STAND ( Sit ) for awhile it will cook your insides, because the food is still cooking, getting hotter even though the food is out of the micro wave.

No offense but the American public in general are stupid, but so much better to pull the wool over your eyes, my dear.

And they opened the records that were sealed for 100 years, on the Lincoln assassination, but if you notice they never bothered, to change the history books, as to what had really occurred.

So yes it is true they intend to kill off 6.5 billion people in the world, with micro wave ovens, I don't know what they intend to do in Russia.

edit on 28-3-2012 by googolplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Real science beats out the grade school kid here. I guess they just gave the microwaved water plants bad vibes.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Trying this at home!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Snore, do what you want with your microwave, and i'll do what I want with mine.

2nd line.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
For some reason, this does not concern me this much...

I once dumped a pot of boiling water ( not microwaved ) on a plant as an experiment...It was dead by the next day....

So, going by that, one could argue that hot water is more harmful than microwaved water.
edit on 28-3-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Uh! Your wrong there! Sorry for the harshness, However Microwaved water does not kill plants Period! My guess is your not a horticulturist, Botanist, Arborist, or have any background dealing with plants... They grow plants in toxic waste dumps!!! they grow plants in nucleaur ponds and accident sites. So you think micro waved water will kill a plant?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
you should do your own experiments before you throw away your microwave.

i would figure nuking water would make it safer by killing any harmful bacteria in it.

it's not a hard experiment to recreate, all you need are 2 beans, some dirt and plastic cups.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Microwave ovens do not even kill patheons in drinking water.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by putnamcrab

Actually the microwaved water could have reached a higher temperature, destroying more organisms. These organisms may be what the root system needs to survive. Sterilized water is not good water. We need certain bugs in water to keep the whole ecosystem working. Our very bodies rely on colonies of organisms. The nuked water may have been too clean, the plants needed bacteria that survived the radiant boiling.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

I give you a star for that info! I am a arborist, and I know trees... You can not grow trees without bacteria or fungi

But it is not safe to purify water in the microwave.. it will not kill all pathogens...

and unless its trapped steam, water can't get any hotter than 212F degrees
edit on 28-3-2012 by putnamcrab because: forgot the F

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Yeah, I haven't had a Microwave for over two years as a personal choice, use your oven, don't be so lazy!!
And stop eating the fast food, my goodness, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out!!

Lol, yeah lets water our plants with boiling water, Lets explain everything in laymans terms! Do you think the sky rains boiling water for plants to grow!?
edit on 4-10-2011 by Berenai because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by putnamcrab
reply to post by earthdude

and unless its trapped steam, water can't get any hotter than 212 degrees

Incorrect.

At the surface between air and water, or between steam and water, water boils at 100 °C. Water boils at 100 °C if there is already a bubble of steam (or air) present. But in the absence of bubbles, water can be heated above 100 °C.

www.animations.physics.unsw.edu.au...

edit on 3/28/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Always been suspicious of the old Microwave Oven.
Used it since my 20 year old son was born, he suffers seizures, his brother who is 18, all well.

I have heard of these whispers, but can we be 100% sure its unsafe?
Wouldn't someone "important" have came out by now and said "this is killing us" Or has someone?

Cheers.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join