It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think I'll be tossing my micro now...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by princeguy

I guess I won't be microwaving water before watering the plants then.

-rrr

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by NullVoid
I gave flag and star to you for bring this up.

I never found any difference in taste, so I'm skeptical, I shall test this and see the difference.
If there is, then the microwave successfully deconstruct water molecule and who knows, it even might be radioactive

Anyway thanks for the eye opener. This is bad news for me, I love heating up stuff with microwave.

p/s: On more info, theres report of UFO landing, grass/plants doesnt grow on the site where it land. The reports mention the grass have same effect as microwave when it land. - Boiled from inside.

Ionizing water would turn it into oxygen and hydrogen. Much more than that energy and you could perhaps split the atoms and get ionizing radiation out of the water itself.

Notice that a microwave does not even have enough energy to ionize water to begin with. So the notion that water is not only ionized, but that it can then start to emit its own source of ionizing radiation would seem to go against a lot of known laws.

But the best way to be sure is to repeat the experiment hundreds of times in different conditions to rule out any unaccounted factors.

Personally, since I drink microwaved coffee almost every day, and haven't started to wither like a dead plant, I would not be too worried.

One would also have to establish the relevance of a plant withering to human health effects. As far as I know plants and people are substantially different, assuming these results are even repeatable.

-rrr

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
What disturbs me is people are so used to a quick fix they abhor the idea of taking an extra 30 minutes to properly cook food in the oven.

You say you don't have time? You are a liar.

I have a microwave but use it only to heat things up under a minute - no cooking with it - but just heating stuff up does also cause damage. I prefer the oven, stove or BBQ Grill for cooking

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa
i dont think made up 'facts' like this help the case against microwaves.

10). Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability, and a decrease of intelligence.

either way i wont be throwing mine away based on a school girls science class project.

Have to agree. Where is the scientific research that this so-called 'fact' is based on? My guess is that it's nowhere.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
People have no idea of what degree of regime is necessary doing "scientific experiment".
Error analysis, precise conditions, repeatability. After all this procedures we can talk about results.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skada
Don't use or have a microwave. I knew that those things were evil, as every time I ate something cooked in that thing, it gave me a sickening feeling. Besides, we have to know how to cook from "scratch" anyway; or we may not survive.

Another drama-queen statement like that of many smeared across this site.

It gave you a sickening feeling???? I smell a big dose of BS here. I can understand learning to cook from scratch is the best way but you could not pick up anything.....if you could you have the immune system and stomach of new born baby...NOT GOOD!!!
edit on 28-3-2012 by Six6Six because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

SO many articles on ATS are based on conclusions without evidence. It is maddening. Are microwaves bad...we can insinuate that they are simply because they are antagonistic to natural process. But this laundry list of problems associated with microwaves has managed to elude even one single piece of hard evidence. I am sure that the stove is a better option...but my grandparents nuke everything and they are living in their 80's and 90's. Maybe Bill Gates doesnt nuke his mashed taters and thats why he is so smart. But i bet the guy used plenty of microwaves whilst creating Windows. He seems to be fairly intelligent, no?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I too have heard this is a hoax. People can say whatever they want on the internet and the masses gobble it up as truth. So classmates had the same results. I guess it's true.

Where are there any scientific studies done to prove this other than a science fair project?

Should I tell my 93 year old Mom to trash her microwave? She had been using them since the early 1970's. Nah, she might die if she throws it out. Perhaps that will be her cause of death - abrupt microwave withdrawal.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I call bologna on this article .. My mother uses the microwave to boil water for her plants, and has for many years.. they are all alive and healthy!

She uses the microwave because she doesn't trust the tap and it's cheaper than going out and buying gallons of water out of a jug .. It's also a very quick way to prep water.

Feel free to try to reproduce this yourself, but honest to God it's something I've seen mother doing since I was a little kid and I'm in my mid 30s now..

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mfeely180uk

Originally posted by lacrimosa
i dont think made up 'facts' like this help the case against microwaves.

10). Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability, and a decrease of intelligence.

either way i wont be throwing mine away based on a school girls science class project.

Have to agree. Where is the scientific research that this so-called 'fact' is based on? My guess is that it's nowhere.

Common sense should dictate otherwise.

www.health-science.com...

The Swiss clinical study
Dr. Hans Ulrich Hertel, who is now retired, worked as a food scientist for many years with one of the major Swiss food companies that do business on a global scale. A few years ago, he was fired from his job for questioning certain processing procedures that denatured the food.

In 1991, he and a Lausanne University professor published a research paper indicating that food cooked in microwave ovens could pose a greater risk to health than food cooked by conventional means. (snip).

In intervals of two to five days, the volunteers in the study received one of the following food variants on an empty stomach:

1.Raw milk;
2.The same milk conventionally cooked;
3.Pasteurized milk;
4.The same raw milks cooked in a microwave oven;
5.Raw vegetables from an organic farm; (6) the same vegetables cooked conventionally;
6.The same vegetables frozen and defrosted in a microwave oven; and
7.The same vegetables cooked in the microwave oven.

Once the volunteers were isolated, blood samples were taken from every volunteer immediately before eating. Then, blood samples were taken at defined intervals after eating from the above milk or vegetable preparations.

Significant changes were discovered in the blood samples from the intervals following the foods cooked in the microwave oven. These changes included a decrease in all hemoglobin and cholesterol values, especially the ratio of HDL (good cholesterol) and LDL (bad cholesterol) values. Lymphocytes (white blood cells) showed a more distinct short-term decrease following the intake of microwaved food than after the intake of all the other variants. Each of these indicators pointed to degeneration. Additionally, there was a highly significant association between the amount of microwave energy in the test foods and the luminous power of luminescent bacteria exposed to serum from test persons who ate that food. This led Dr. Hertel to the conclusion that such technically derived energies may, indeed, be passed along to man inductively via eating microwaved food.

edit on 28-3-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
And here's what happened after that report was released . (from the same site):

As soon as Doctors Hertel and Blanc published their results, the authorities reacted. A powerful trade organization, the Swiss Association of Dealers for Electro-apparatuses for Households and Industry, known as FEA, struck swiftly in 1992. They forced the President of the Court of Seftigen, Canton of Bern, to issue a "gag order" against Drs. Hertel and Blanc. In March 1993, Dr. Hertel was convicted for "interfering with commerce" and prohibited from further publishing his results. However, Dr. Hertel stood his ground and fought this decision over the years.

Not long ago, this decision was reversed in a judgment delivered in Strasbourg, Austria, on August 25, 1998. The European Court of Human Rights held that there had been a violation of Hertel's rights in the 1993 decision.

link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

I don't doubt microwaving food can degenerate the nutritional value of the food in some cases.. however the article is talking about water.. far less complex than food or even milk ..

The plant test was crap, either that or there's other variables thrown in that we're not aware of .. I say that simply because as I pointed out, my mother does it all the time..

As for food though, I think the biggest key is how long it's prepared for .. all a microwave is is a very short wave of magnetic energy ... People in the thread have talked about microwave radiation as if it were akin to nuclear radiation and those people obviously don't understand that not all radiation is created equal .. thermal and electromagnetic radiation from a microwave vs. nuclear radiation.. HUGE difference.

There's a lot of over-reacting based on a kid's science project..

edit on 3/28/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

link   

A internet hoax that first circulated 5 years ago; see link below.

Snopes

Note that the blind plant vitality tests run at Snopes.Com favored the microwaved water over thermally boiled and unboiled water.

This is a 5 year old HOAX that has no place on ATS.

Best regards,
Z

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrZrD

A internet hoax that first circulated 5 years ago; see link below.

Snopes

Note that the blind plant vitality tests run at Snopes.Com favored the microwaved water over thermally boiled and unboiled water.

This is a 5 year old HOAX that has no place on ATS.

Best regards,
Z

I didn't check snopes thoroughly enough
good catch..

This certainly explains why my mother's plants seem to thrive

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Some additionally useful info

Is Microwave Radiation the Same as Radioactive Radiation? ( www.gallawa.com... )

No. There is a very important difference. As illustrated by the frequency spectrum on the right, microwaves used in microwave ovens, similar to microwaves used in radar equipment, and telephone, television and radio communication, are in the non-ionizing range of electromagnetic radiation. Non-ionizing radiation is very different from Ionizing radiation . Ionizing radiation is extraordinarily high in frequency (millions of trillions of cycles per second). It is, therefore, extremely powerful and penetrating. Even at low levels, ionizing radiation can damage the cells of living tissue. In fact, these dangerous rays, have enough energy and intensity to actually change (ionize) the molecular structure of matter. In sufficient doses, ionizing radiation can even cause genetic mutations. As shown on the frequency spectrum, the ionizing range of frequencies includes X-rays, gamma rays, and cosmic rays. Ionizing radiation is the sort of radiation we associate with radioactive substances like uranium, radium, and the fall-out from atomic and thermonuclear explosions.

Non-ionizing radiation is very different. Because of the lower frequencies and reduced energy, it does not have the same damaging and cumulative properties as ionizing radiation. Microwave radiation (at 2450 MHz) is non-ionizing, and in sufficient intensity will simply cause the molecules in matter to vibrate, thereby causing friction, which produces the heat that cooks the food.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by piotrburz
People have no idea of what degree of regime is necessary doing "scientific experiment".
Error analysis, precise conditions, repeatability. After all this procedures we can talk about results.

Here ya go. I can only assume they used the proper experimental protocols.

www.xpeditionsmagazine.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I love my microwave. It's a huge built in number above my oven, came with the house. It's great for storing pots and pans, baking dishes etc. My favorite though, using it as a grow cabinet for my mung bean and alfalfa sprouts.

edit on 28-3-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ofNight

But when do they get cancer? In their 40s, 50s ect. I'm not saying microwaves contribute to cancer, wouldn't surprise me though, but its the cumulative effect that is the problem with a lot of pollutants.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Haha.. all the microwave-defenders here are making me laugh. Of course microwaves are f***ed, it completely alters the molecular makeup of whatever gets cooked. I still use one from time to time, but I try to keep it extremely limited

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
This is an internet hoax. The information is false. Check it out on Snopes. Don't be so quick to believe everything that's passed around in emails. Do your own research. I did and discovered this was false information.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join