It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think I'll be tossing my micro now...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I've seen this article on ATS before, and there was a lot of de-bunking that went on. I think I remember someone finding an article that proved these results wrong. Give me some time and I'll post the thread here.

Regardless, I don't own a microwave. I have a toaster oven, steamer, and a crockpot though. I microwaved eggs once and that was it for me and the microwave. Anyone who does own a microwave, give it a try (you have to scramble them first and put them in a bowl) but the end result is horrible. I try not to leach out what few nutrients we do have in our food these days. I think Ellen Degeneres said it best "I blame the microwave for most of our problems; anything that gets that hot without fire, that’s from the devil." Hahaha

reply to post by princeguy

Toaster ovens work about the same as a regular oven, just on a smaller scale.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by JewelFlip

Thanks that would be great. I think I'm going to give this experiment a try for myself. I want to know!! anyone else out there that is a green thumb and has the time you try it to! That way we can get some accuracy.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Whatever you put into the microwave suffers the same destructive process. Microwaves agitate the molecules to move faster and faster. This movement causes friction which denatures the original make-up of the substance. It results in destroyed vitamins, minerals, proteins and generates the new stuff called radiolytic compounds, things that are not found in nature.

Maybe with the exception of the radiolytic compound creation, the exact same thing happens whatever manner you heat/cook food.

Molecules move faster as they get hotter. That is basic science, everyone should know that. The same thing happens if you cook your food in a pan or oven. The structure of food changes as it cooks, thats the whole point. It makes it easier for us to digest. You cant eat a raw potato easily but cook it and it makes it a lot more edible.

Its known that many methods of cooking, including boiling, reduce the amount of vitamins in food, which is why steaming is probably the best method to cook vegetables. This is just more mindless fear mongering. Not quite as extreme as those who decry all forms of cooked food as evil, but getting there.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
So...one of the greatest inventions since beer is supposed to go out the window, reducing us to cook-from-scratch at home and avoiding fast food joints?

Seriously, we already know the government has made poisoning the cheapest way to live. We're used to it by now.

Way to make life simpler.

Make life simple and just live the punk rock life. 24 of beer and a loaf of bread spread over a week.

But microwaves are the absolute worst way to eat anything.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by AlexanderTurboLover

Because pesticides and additive, as well as preservatives and industrial processing, are the paragon are processing and consuming, right?

As I said, the government has made poison quick, effective, and seemingly nutritious. We are sheeple baaa-ing to the beat of their drum.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sealing
Threw mine out 10 years ago.
I noticed I didn't feel that great after a micro meal.
My wife and I are only convection oven, which does
take a bit longer. Meals are about 15 minutes vs 5min on a micro.
But the food tastes so much better. Things get crisp and brown.
Not Chernobyl and soggy.
Congratulations!

You know, no one notices the radiation while they eat. They just imagine it after reading an article on radioactive microwaves. Suggestibility, anyone?

Also, did it occur to you it could be the factory food? Try warming up homemade pizza...made using home-grown ingredients. See what the difference is.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
I can appreciate the effort and sentiment here but you're not going to get proper results with 2 test plants.

Need at least 1000 of each and a very controlled environment.

Exactly. You need to control the temperatures in the room, the soil composition, test with at least a hundred different biological structures (including rats and monkeys), include a wide range of microwave models, record their average radiation output, factor in the breakdown of radiation components over time, and examine in detail the exact effects of the radiation on the cellular structure.

In other words, this kid pretty much invented a possibility, but not a reality. Now you see an example of people jumping the wagon with bad news. You can bet if it was just a new microwave model in this thread, no one would have read it.

Pretty sure that experiment has been repeated and microwave water doesn't act any differently than boiled or normal water. Speaking of normal water, where is her control?

A lot of those things you wouldn't need. The energy output to the water is irrelevant since we're told that no amount of microwave energy, could leave a "mark" on water, after it has cooled. Microwave ovens don't give off radiation components that breakdown if that's what you're saying.

Toaster ovens can be a good way to go, can take around the same amount of time for some foods.
edit on 27-3-2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I can appreciate the effort and sentiment here but you're not going to get proper results with 2 test plants.

That's true, blind and double as well.
However, were just exciting H2O.
Albeit the additional minerals and maybe, maybe Chlorine and fluoride.
Since (I think) this is from the UK, these two components would not be in the water.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

So don't forget heat and light are RADIATION too so through out your furnace and light fixtures. (?end sarcasm)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

So here is the thread that I remembered:

The Microwave Oven: Is it actually hurting us? Likely so it appears...

The member phishyblankwaters had some good articles to add to the conversation, I'll include the key one here for easy reading:
Are Microwave Ovens Safe?

This is a snopes article referenced in the article above. They tried the same experiment and came up with different results.
Snopes: Microwaved Water: See what it does to plants

If you want to look into it some more, by all means follow the links and the references in the papers. Personally, I don't care what snopes found as I dislike microwaves, but if you're feeling inquisitive run the experiment and see how it turns out.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I have seen several different articles on how bad microwave ovens are and what they do to your food and I have seen the many people who claim that cooking in a microwave oven does nothing to food that is any more harmful than regular ovens. I thought I read somewhere a while back that they are outlawed in Russia, but didn't care enough to try to verify that statement so I don't know if it is true or not - but I would tend to doubt it. Regardless, I try to cook as much as I can in a regular oven or stovetop and, with summer coming, I will be doing more on the grill and the rotisserie. The way I see it is that food simply tastes much better when it is prepared in a more "traditional" way over (or under) a heat source. Microwaves may be more convenient, but food in general is soggier and seems to not be uniformly cooked - like when you do reheat pizza in a microwave you get parts of the pizza that are completely nuked and too hot for your mouth while other parts are cold. Additionally, just because some doctor or scientist or whatever says the microwave oven claim is unfounded doesn't make it true. After all, doctors used to say that smoking cigarettes was completely harmless and in some cases said it was actually good for you.

Whatever the case may be, I just prefer the taste and texture of food cooked with heat as opposed to microwaves.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Turq1

There could be microbes in her tap water that are being agitated by the radiation.

Solution: cook foods with bottled water!

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by tallcool1

That thread is here:

Why the Russians banned microwave ovens

A lot of the studies that claim the dangers of microwaves were done in the 50s and 60s though, and that has caused a lot of contention because back then you were expressly told to NOT stand in front of it while its on. So it leads to the belief that they were more dangerous back then*.
I haven't heard of any recent studies claiming the danger of microwaves.

*I have no idea how the safety standards have changed since the earlier production of them. So if any one has any hard facts on their increased safety, by all means, let me know.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Microwave ovens are dangerous only if used to make junk food.

It's entirely possible to make your own healthy fast food.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Also, what type of container did she use to heat the water in the microwave i wonder? It doesn't mention that, which i think is another important factor.

The study should be done again using both Plastic and Glass Pyrex type bowls or jugs of water heated in a microwave, and see if there would be a difference also.

The amount of nasty chemicals that can leak out of overheated plastic containers is quite a considerable amount.

I tend to not use plastic to heat things up in my microwave when it's used every now and again purely for that reason.

edit on 27-3-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

I have done it all StarChild.
We have eaten whole foods and not processed foods for quite a while.
I am not trying to influence anyone, I'm just stating what worked for me.
It truly made a noticeable difference. I don't know why or how. We simply
felt better and got sick less often . Try it for a week and see how you do.
I've always liked your posts and want you around as much as possible, haha.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Microwaves cook by using shortwave radio to agitate water molecules inside the food, causing them to heat up.

Someone want to explain how thats dangerous?

Bear in mind that we are exposed to radio waves every day, in many different formats.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Also if you pour hot water on a plant from any source it will kill the plant in a couple of days so this experiment is useless in determining anything other than hot water kills plants.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolfie0827

She cooled the water before using it. Did you even read the article?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Also, did it occur to you it could be the factory food? Try warming up homemade pizza...made using home-grown ingredients. See what the difference is.

You stumbled upon it! It is a combined effort, it isn't the microwave that is doing it, but the additives put into the food that once combined create the true danger! Perfect binary weapon! Alone they are inert, together they are deadly!

That is what you meant?

Derek

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join