It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Slab of Earth's Crust Found Near Core

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
This did not show up on a search.
its from 2006
the site checks out.
shocked its not on here.
i was looking for some thing else,
and found this.
thought i would share some info.

A huge slab of folded Earth that scientists think used to be part of the ocean floor has been detected near the planet's core.

The discovery supports the theory that Earth's crust is constantly recycled deep into the planet as molten material from below simultaneously pushes up to refresh the surface.

The structure is about 125 miles deep and at least 125 miles wide and 370 miles in the north-south direction. In consistency, it is more like a giant, folding mush of taffy, researchers said today

"If you imagine cold honey pouring onto a plate, you would see ripples and folds as it piles up and spreads out, and that's what we think we are seeing at the base of the mantle," said Alex Hutko, a graduate student University of California, Santa Cruz and lead author of a paper describing the discovery in the May 18 issue of the journal Nature. .

[Link

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Not really a new thing.

Plate tectonics and sea floor spreading is fairly old news. This "slab" of crust is most likely from a subduction area.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by omegacorps

I still think that one day all our tectonic plates will adjust accordingly very quickly in the blink of an eye...pretty wicked thought but presumably it might have happened before.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by SarnholeOntarable

I still think that one day all our tectonic plates will adjust accordingly very quickly in the blink of an eye...pretty wicked thought but presumably it might have happened before.

Why would you think they would do any such thing? We have geological proof that it has happened and is still happening today, but in a controlled manner. Do you have evidence this has happened in "the blink of an eye" as so say?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

I have been shouing this for ages ECD. Volcanoes, earthquakes, booms, tsunamis etc... = ECD.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Interesting but you'd have better luck convincing me that a planet the size of our moon is moving 1.5 million miles per hour. And that planet is going to be slamming into our planet. Than a theory that the current crust is going to disappear like a trap door in some magic trick.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
FYI - if true, this information annihilates the theory that oil is a fossil-fuel. The heat of the core would vaporize any sort of hydrocarbons.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
and the opposite / analog subduction of that might b the steep steep slopes of Frisco!

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlguy
FYI - if true, this information annihilates the theory that oil is a fossil-fuel. The heat of the core would vaporize any sort of hydrocarbons.

Nothing new. There has been research done on this, examples that come to mind are Thomas Gold (who hypothesized that oil is a primordial soup continually being manufactured by the Earth) and the recent Swedish paper.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
"near" is a relative term as the earth's core starts about 1800 miles deep

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

I am still having a problem with this Molten Core sloshing around in there, you would think that as we are spinning at 1000 miles per hour it would be pushed to the sides like my washing machine clothes when it is on spin cycle, am I missing something?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
nice find

i was awaiting recent or new ideas about just why the Earth's core is 'acting up'
and this old report seems to be the dynamic at work

which might be the reason the Earth has fits of outgassing & vulcanism like the Siberian Traps episode...

it would take millions, perhaps hundred's of millions years for a denser crustal plate to build up close to the core which then causes a imbalance in the mantle convection currents...disruption of the outer-core spin thus twisting the magnetic field... etc etc

i have been hypothesizing on ATS threads that the Core is building up to a new out-gassing and vulcanism era that might even compare to the Siberian Traps era when some 2 million square miles of new surface material oozed out of the Earth...

mantle plumes, gravity anomalies, out-gassing in new areas, seabed thermal vents springing up everywhere, long dormant volcano calderas becoming active, the heating of the underside of the crust-mantle region causing the strains & stresses on the granite & quartz rock, which causes the audible groaning or humming heard all over the world, as the crustal plates expand & contract from the 'hot spots' below

i do not think the 'taffy' build up is the sole explaination for all the seismic anomalies & changes going on now... but it sure allows for a big picture, partial explaination

* for the OP

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I think that this would be a natural event that likely occurs regularily. I find it fascinating though that the crust would sort of "recycle" itself. Make one think that our Eath Mother is "Alive and Kicking".

Just a thought.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teye22
Make one think that our Eath Mother is "Alive and Kicking".

She is, and she doesn't need inferior beings telling her how helpless she is without their regulation.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Not wanting to sound too silly, but this could be a result of the earth in collision with whatever ....planet, asteroid comet......
Perhaps the crustal fragment was driven inward by force of collision?
If so perhaps earth is still in recovery mode.....

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Interesting.....do you think it could cause the sounds people are hearing, IF this were happening? Just a hypothetic question.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamstalker

Gravity?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

one question
what instruments are they using to 'see' the core and whats actualy there?

ty

Ro

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

nice find ommegacorps, it would be amazing if that was some unknown type of ARC shaped craft just parked there for some reason amazing

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by oghamxx
"near" is a relative term as the earth's core starts about 1800 miles deep

Yeah. This crust is nowhere near the core. It is just closer than the rest of the crust.

It's like someone in California saying that Arizona is close to New York.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join