It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

James Cameron's submarine makes successful test to Earth's deepest point

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

James Cameron's submarine makes successful test to Earth's deepest point

www.theglobeandmail.com

A submarine that will take “Titanic” director James Cameron to the Earth's deepest point has made a successful unmanned test dive.

Cameron tells National Geographic News that his specially designed submarine called Deepsea Challenger completed the nearly seven-mile test dive Wednesday. The team returned to calmer waters and was headed back to the site Saturday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Cameron's Green Machine submarine has reached the bottom of the Marianas Trench on remote control. I guess they wanted to see if it imploded before Cameron gets in.

The weather is the big factor now. It has been delaying dives for almost a week and Cameron is praying to the "Weather Gods".

The weather looks like it would allow a dive this weekend, then it gets worse.

More here:
news.nationalgeographic.com...

www.theglobeandmail.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I am surprised this isn't getting more play as the Mariana Trench is one of the last explored places on Earth.
kudos to anyone with the kahuntas to make a 7 mile dive.

I wish I was a mega millionaire so I can finance my own scientific expeditions. Who said money can't buy happiness.

so does this mean that there will be a new movie in two years?
edit on 24-3-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

james cameron? why hasn't the country's scientists done this? oh yeah, they spent all their money on child sex and bombs.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Maybe if we asked him nicely, he would let us take a dive. I promise not to break anything

Here's what the weather near the Marianas Trench looks like now. If you zoom out and run the animation you can see a front moving in, although he could be diving right now.

Weather

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by couldbeanyone

james cameron? why hasn't the country's scientists done this? oh yeah, they spent all their money on child sex and bombs.

Thank you for the meaningless contribution. James Cameron is Canadian by the way. Are you referring to a Muslim country?

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

i'm sorry, i handn't realized james cameron was canadian. THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
this can turn out one of two ways, (I'm not including the disaster scenario)

1. They discover all kinds of insane life forms, creatures we never thought could exist.

2. They discover that it is deep, dark, cold and pretty much void of life at the bottom of the trench.

I'm assuming #1 is the more likely scenario. I hope the new life forms aren't all miscroscopic shrimp and we learn that there's some large, impressive life living in implausible conditions.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

They sent a ROV awhile ago to the bottom of the Marianas Trench and found very strange animals like single-celled amoebas as much as 10 centimeters (4 inches) wide and jellyfish. Who knows what else they will find.

Teaser:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I am surprised this isn't getting more play as the Mariana Trench is one of the last explored places on Earth.
kudos to anyone with the kahuntas to make a 7 mile dive.

I wish I was a mega millionaire so I can finance my own scientific expeditions. Who said money can't buy happiness.

so does this mean that there will be a new movie in two years?
edit on 24-3-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

When I win the lottery, I'm going to show up Cameron by diving the same place and have a drill attached to my submarine so that I can go lower. Maybe I'll strike oil.

Yeay money!

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Well.. we already know there are plenty of life forms down there.
I think we are best bet for larger unknown life forms lies in the parts of the ocean we haven't explore (most of it) that are shallower.

For the sake of fun though.. imagine being down there 7 miles down in a tiny vessel and turning on some flood lights and seeing something huge flush off into the dark.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I saw that and I'm hoping that they find more life than that. a large single cell blob and a bunch of strange sponges and jelly fish are cool but what would be wild would be some large fish that reminds us that we haven't a clue what's going on outside our peripheral vision. If we find the unexplored areas of our own planet teeming with unknown life, perhaps this will prompt further exploration into other areas in and around the rock we call home.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Nevermind. Looking for the video.
edit on 24-3-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
this can turn out one of two ways, (I'm not including the disaster scenario)

1. They discover all kinds of insane life forms, creatures we never thought could exist.

2. They discover that it is deep, dark, cold and pretty much void of life at the bottom of the trench.

I'm assuming #1 is the more likely scenario. I hope the new life forms aren't all miscroscopic shrimp and we learn that there's some large, impressive life living in implausible conditions.

agreed. i'm sure there is sooooo much we can learn from the deep dark oceans, seeing as it is the least explored of our terrain. i'm fairly certain whatever is found could change just about everything we think we know about life on earth. when i was younger i loved looking at pictures of all the deep sea creatures. they are just amazing in their physiology and abilities. this submarine is going even deeper than that.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

Well at least he earned his money and is using it for scientific inquiry. He is not footing the bill alone however and is also funded by: Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, JPL, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of Hawaii and of course National Geographic.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Excellent project for a man with the vision to see it through successfully.

I just love it when a rich guy does more with his money than make more money and which is ass grow, props to James.

Cant wait to see whats down there.... and in classic 3d, HD quality from the best guy in the business!

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

The deepest fish ever found was a snail-fish at 24,800 feet. This dive will go below 36,000 feet. They may find some kind of fish or other strange life especially if he locates a vent spewing nutrients.

The snail-fish is one ugly looking fish by the way:
www.treehugger.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Who said money can't buy happiness.

"Money can't buy you happiness, but you can park your yacht next to it" -David Lee Roth

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
As long that he doesn't find a second band bad like the first Marianas Trench, now that would suck.
I usually dislike Cameron but I think he gives a decent example of what rich people should do with their money...I said decent because it's not curing aids, cancer or free energy sources.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

perhaps this will prompt further exploration into other areas in and around the rock we call home.

It's no coincidence the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) is also funding the project. As you know, there are several moons in our solar system with oceans and possible life, especially around hydrothermal or cold vents. NASA's budget is getting cut back more and more, and projects are being cancelled. I'm not sure if ESA can run these projects alone. So we may have to wait awhile for a Europa mission for example.

Maybe a joint NASA/ESA/Russian/Chinese (or combination) project could work...

edit on 24-3-2012 by Nicolas Flamel because: forgot the Russians

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join