It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook speaks out against employers asking for passwords

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Next thing - employers will start to ask for your bank pin numbers ......

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

I think this is a relatively new phenomenon. But some colleges and law enforement agencies are asking for this information.

BUT a stink is also being raised about it as its un-ethical and in my opinion, outright illegal.

A potential employer during an interview is NOT allowed to ask personal questions.They can't ask medical information, they can't ask if you have kids, are married, nothing.

So I personally think it is illegal because they can garnish that information off of FB.

Now as far as why employers and colleges are caring? They are starting to use social media as a way to filter applicants.

So yes, college students are being warned that if applying for a college or a job, watch what they put on a profile can hurt them.

As for the why, a company wants to see what character you are bringing, and a college wants serious students. So if there is a nothing but pictures of you partying and doing bongs, they will think your not the college student for them.

it is all about how they want to be perceived.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DonaldD
Next thing - employers will start to ask for your bank pin numbers ......

They run credit checks also. It is all BS to me but they WANT TO KNOW about applicants' personal lives now.

I remember one time I went in for an interview, and I usually I am hired on the spot but this interview was a "formality" I was told.

So, I went to the interview and the PE hired on the spot and I had negotiated my 3 months vacation time, perks and privileges all inside of 10 minutes from sitting down then handing him my resume, references and a hand shake.

Like I said good luck young world!

*You all will need it.

edit on 23-3-2012 by maestromason because: *

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Absolutely correct!

HR would have a field day with this in Aus!!

You can't mention or ask jack about anything apart from the candidates ability to perform the job applied for. What sexual background you have, how many children, if you’re pregnant, what you do outside work etc etc is completely illegal and very very wrong.

I have noticed over here that the QLD police force ask if you have a FB account when applying. Do they really think that you are that stupid? Obviously.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
This is great! Employers need to know they can't strong arm there employees over their private lives. If the job gets done, to your expectations, it doesn't matter if a M.D does it or a stripper at Nibbles, get it!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Now if you apply for a job involving sensitive matters I can see this being justified.e.g. Secret Service.

...but these nickle and dime jobs that are out here are not worth sacrificing your privacy over.

On a few occasions I had to have ITAR clearance and certain "powers" bestowed upon me as "acting Empowered Official in absentia" just in the event that my EO goes away on business.

ITAR clearance requires an extensive global background investigation and that the current U.S. Secretary of State sign your badge personally and your clearance is then officially classified and graded.

Facebook has become a thorn in the foot to people & more than a social media craze. It has now intruded upon the most sacred realm of Livelihood and this is total BS.

*People rebel! FB has no place in the WORK PLACE outside of social entertainment...it should not be used as criteria for being hired!
edit on 23-3-2012 by maestromason because: *

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
You know its simple to defeat that question. Just say I have no facebook,and have it rigged so no one can search for you but Username only,with only friends able to see your info. People do not be completely honest with a interviewer because alot of them ask the illegal questions. And deny people jobs too,and dare you to prove you were denied for the information too.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Facebook needs to ban every employee and business account that works for any company that asks for such a thing. Also they need to do the exact same for anyone or company doing private or commercial transactions with those companies.

If any company is willing to engage in ethical violations against individuals, they would most certainly engage in unethical behavior in their business transactions.
edit on 23-3-2012 by tkwasny because: Addition

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I really don't understand why companies feel that a person's Facebook or credit score is a good measuring stick as to what kind of employee they will be. I've worked with serious alcoholics and a couple of drug users who could and did outwork everyone else. One of the best teacher's I had in grade school was a closet alcoholic. I still remember the things she taught in her class about English and life.

It really frustrates me when I apply for work and find out my poor credit score (due to economy and illness) means I don't have a snowball's chance in h*&^ of getting the job. My credit score has nothing to do with my work ethic. I work hard and I'm dependable. Not to toot my own horn, but I'm a superstar at the convenience store I work at. To every company that has failed to give me my due because of generalizing about my character because of my score: your loss!! I'll continue to shine at the store because they see me for me, not a credit number or Facebook profile.

And anyway, while I'm on a roll, if they feel choosing employees by these methods is working, I believe they are sorely mistaken. Most of the idiots working these jobs don't know what they are doing and don't really care anyway. I see it all the time in the shoddily put together plans by higher ups who haven't actually WORKED a day in the areas they are trying to dictate policy in.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
My password is like my gun, you can take it from my cold dead hands...um, perhape metaphoricly speaking...as, well, my password isn't really in my hands...but you get the idea.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I dunno isn't Facebook kinda played out...I mean it was a good CIA Op while it lasted but I don't use it anymore & most people I know rarely use it anymore.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komaratzi11
I really don't understand why companies feel that a person's Facebook or credit score is a good measuring stick as to what kind of employee they will be. I've worked with serious alcoholics and a couple of drug users who could and did outwork everyone else. One of the best teacher's I had in grade school was a closet alcoholic. I still remember the things she taught in her class about English and life.

It really frustrates me when I apply for work and find out my poor credit score (due to economy and illness) means I don't have a snowball's chance in h*&^ of getting the job. My credit score has nothing to do with my work ethic. I work hard and I'm dependable. Not to toot my own horn, but I'm a superstar at the convenience store I work at. To every company that has failed to give me my due because of generalizing about my character because of my score: your loss!! I'll continue to shine at the store because they see me for me, not a credit number or Facebook profile.

And anyway, while I'm on a roll, if they feel choosing employees by these methods is working, I believe they are sorely mistaken. Most of the idiots working these jobs don't know what they are doing and don't really care anyway. I see it all the time in the shoddily put together plans by higher ups who haven't actually WORKED a day in the areas they are trying to dictate policy in.

Sounds like you are either a shill here or need retraining then.

You are in Illinois of all places and can't get employed?

Something here doesn't make sense and I smell bull#
edit on 23-3-2012 by maestromason because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by astra0naught

Some people don't have a choice and have to take the job. If your kids are hungry, your gonna give up your FB password.

No.

Just no. Tell the boss / interviewer that you'll see them in court. Seek free legal advice and claim violation of privacy rights.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Employers are PATHETIC for having any interest at all in people's silly little public picture and comment sites anyways. They SHOULD be SUED 100% for violating peoples privacy as well as being beyond stupid.

Its all is so damned ASININE.

edit on 24-3-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Komaratzi11

Everybody gets that info and it indicates a lot about the prospective hire.

Credit scores show financial responsibility and character. I have had plenty of petty cash accounts, perks and privileges. The only system is the honor system.

Holy cow man!... are you for real?

You must be a shill here to # with people.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by maestromason

You've got me all wrong, man. I'm no shill. Just fed up with the way things are going. And my credit score is no real reflection of my character. I happen to be of outstanding character. You know absolutely nothing about me other than a profile on here. There are bigger things going on here.

I can get a job here too, but all that is really available in my area are minimum wage jobs. I applied for a job with a finance company and could not get hired because of my credit score. Ok, maybe they believe that means I can't deal with money, but that's strange. The convenience store trusts me with large amounts of money everyday. I'm not a thief. If I was my credit score wouldn't be jacked, because I'd have paid my stuff on time.

The point is: I have a solid work history and no criminal record-not even a driving citation,ever. I am college educated. I take care of my family responsibly, including a head-injured spouse. My credit score or Facebook postings don't provide the big picture.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SteelToe
reply to post by Dance4Life

Yeah, all the FB games and apps are the ones that do that.

Facebook published a new privacy statement yesterday.

Here's the ATS thread on FB new privacy policy

Facebook amending statement of rights and responsbilities, here's a rundown of the changes,

Yeah, the FB games are interesting, was never really my thing, but have played some games recently and those things really the the potential to be IQ and personality tests ! They know how well you preform with several kinds of tasks, if your willing to solicit others to move on further in the game, are you willing to pull out your credit card, and they are somewhat addictive. Would be really interesting to talk with creators of different games on FB, I have definately noticed A LOT of illuminati symbolisim in them

Informative thread...TY....

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Lol, which one of you serfs is giving your facebook out to your employers? That's just ridiculous. Let's not even start to laugh at the peons that use their real names hahahaha... So sad,,,

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by astra0naught

Some people don't have a choice and have to take the job. If your kids are hungry, your gonna give up your FB password.

Make an alternate FB page just for potential employers.

I won't give them my FB password. Mine is mine, even though I only update or even visit FB about once a month. It's the principal of the thing.

I'd be happy to friend them, though, since that'll show them everything they need to see. I still wouldn't get hired, though. They'd see how boring I am.

/TOA

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Komaratzi11

Hey you are correct I don't know you. I just know the times that we are living in. I also know hiring protocol from a higher up prospective. Using someone's credit score to judge character and responsibility has been going on for quite a long time and it just part of the process for most positions of gainful employment.

I understand life is not a straight road...believe me I know that. All I was not understanding is how can you blame employers for wanting to know about one's financial well-being when they are attempting to fill a position which requires honesty and high responsibilities?

The financial realm is one of those indicators that will give an employer a good gauge on a prospective hire's abilities to be trustworthy, honest and to honor the protocols that most large companies keep and revere.

I have never been rejected from a position that I had applied for so I guess I speak from a rather unique position.

In the US there is a mass shortage of skilled high-tech workers while there is literally a plethora of high-tech positions here. Companies are only safe guarding their investments by doing the proper research to find well qualified candidates.

On average a company spends and invests anywhere from $50,000-$80,000 on every hire. It is a blind investment on the companies behalf and a gamble for every living sole that they bring on board. So the more pertinent information that an employer has on each and every prospective the better the decision.

I am by no means justifying their intrusion into the lives of their prospective hire's by asking for FB p/w and u/n to gain access to "trivial" info, however I was only justifying the financial probing is often quite necessary to ensure that the quality is met.

FB and all the other "social media" sites can kiss off for I never had a FB account or any other social media account.

*FB is now the J. Edger Hoover of the 21st century with sensitive data files on over 800+ million(almost 1/7th of the world's population)....that is a lot of power for one website to wield...if the Feds want my info they will need to come knocking on my door with guns and Sodium Thiopental to get mine!

edit on 24-3-2012 by maestromason because: *

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join