It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missing medications. Reduced manufacturing or Stockpiling.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by RobinB022

Thanks so much for the link - the 2 pain medications I take are apparently in short supply. My problem is I can't just "Skip a day or 2" or I'll be in the hospital (which I can't afford)
Our "health" system is a nightmare and it's only getting worse.
Considering how much money there is to be made it doesn't make much sense.
I tend to blame government stockpiling like they are doing with MREs, .40cal and .223 ammo.
There's probably skids full of every kind of medicine in short supply sitting underground in some bunker "just in case" something catastrophic happens all our government leaders and rich bankers will have what they need. Meanwhile people are dropping like flies due to cancer medication shortages.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I know that first there was a shortage of methylphenidate, the generic name for Ritlin, and then there was the shortage of Adderall and the amphetamine salts that it is made of. A friend of mine received a letter telling him to check his pain medications due to a mix-up on them. And now all these shortages.

IMO there is something going on. whether it be stock-piling, control of the population, or pharmacuetical companies playing games, so they can maintain the control that all the other "too big to fail" industries are starting to lose due to extra scrutiny by the populace.

ADHD medications help to increase focus. Could it be that TPTB do not want a population that is too able to focus on exactly what is going on?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn

My job places me in close contact with medical and pharmaceutical operations.
Several months ago I thought it unusual to see memos and postings that a commonly used medication was unavailable and on back order. The next month another frequently used medication was on backorder.

My initial response was that the hospital was just trying to save money and was doing short ordering and getting caught with its pants down. I forgot about it until a couple of days ago when a medication that is not only frequently used but is a main staple to almost every hospital, clinic and surgical center, was in shortage and on back order. Playing back over my memory it seems that there have been shortages of some medication almost monthly now for over six months, from my experience.

This is ATS. If there is something going on out there that we should be paying attention to, ATS is the place that will root out the conspiracy, if one exist.

Has anyone noticed recent medication shortages? If this is occurring on a large scale, maybe by looking at the types of medications that are suddenly going short and possibly being stockpiled, will give us an idea of what may be coming down the pike and give us an idea of what medications we should be adding to our medicine chests.

This may be just a response to the sad condition of our country’s financial status or it may another oddity in our everyday that is a clue to what may be hiding in plain sight.

The wealthy rulres and the governments of the world are stockpiling several years worth of medicines, food, water and other supplies in their deep underground bunkers to prepare for their doomsday 2012 scenario, return of Jesus Christ, polar shift disaster. They are pulling out no stops in this one, they even have DNA banks for animals and seed banks for plants.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Hi NightSkyeB4Dawns,

Here are three article about drug shortages from the last three days. This situation does not seems to be improving. You have a very interesting inside perspective and I am glad to have input from someone that works in this industry, so thank you for your thread.

Time Magazine Two Part Series
Inside America’s Drug Shortage

The first in a two-part series investigating why critical prescription drugs are in short supply in the U.S.
By Alice Park | @aliceparkny | March 19, 2012

Link

Time to fix the drug shortage crisis

Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012, 11:39 AM
Over the past two years, our country has been dealing with the worst drug shortage situation I have seen in over 40 years of practicing pharmacy. I first wrote about the situation in July 2010, after hearing from colleagues around the country who were having trouble obtaining needed medications.

Nearly two years later, it continues to be a major public health issue. At times, patients have been unable to obtain otherwise commonly used medications, including critically important drugs for cancer, emergency medications like epinephrine, pain medications including morphine, and even certain mainstay antibiotics or anesthetics used during operations.

Link

This is also happening in Canada and this article was interesting because it mentions reasons for the shortages which are manufacturing delays, FDA regulations, and price caps on generic drugs.

Drug shortages: Single supplier for generic injectables at root of crisis in Canada
Published On Sat Mar 17 2012

Shortages of the painkillers, nausea-relieving drugs and sedatives that inject calm into Canadian hospitals have triggered a nationwide drug crisis.

Politicians, hospitals, physicians and, ultimately, patients are struggling with a scarcity of various injectables, including morphine to ease end of life pain, ondansetron to relieve nausea during chemotherapy and protamine, crucial for heart bypass operations

Long before Sandoz Canada’s Quebec factory, where most of Canada’s generic injectables are made, slowed its production to meet U.S. Food and Drug Administration standards, and long before a fire briefly shut the plant, the strains on the system have alarmed health-care providers across the country.

Link

It does not seems like the free market is working in this situation, but looking at the above reasons, this is not exactly a free market. I am not really sure what the solution is, but I think this will continue to get worse until something changes, IMO.

edit on 21-3-2012 by PacificBlue because: fix text

edit on 21-3-2012 by PacificBlue because: grammar

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

FDA list of drug shortages:

Current Drug Shortages

That would be interesting, to have a list of drug shortages over time, to see if there is some pattern. However, you would probably understand something like that much better than I do.

I became aware of this issue, because I kept hearing from everyone-patients, doctors, nurses and pharmacists about how certain drug were unavailable, and looking at the responses here, it seems that I am not the only one who has experienced problems.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
This has been a nightmare for me. I take Adderall and last summer started having issues finding it and then my doc said we should try something else. I opted for the med I took as a child Ritalin and hoped for the best. It was awful, my ability to function properly was hampered greatly but I stuck it out and kept hoping and waiting for January to roll around. There were issues even finding the Ritalin and I got to the point where I didn't know if I would ever have my life back the way it was. So, January comes and I think, phew its over... not exactly. They had the meds but suddenly after many years the insurance I use decides they will only cover half the script. I am unlucky to be a person who needs a higher dose than most who take this med.. So what I have dealt with is having half a month with meds and the rest of the month without. I have to see my doc again this month and see what can be done but it feels bleak. I am sad and angry because my life was finally falling into place and I felt normal for once and was doing well. I never thought that I would only get a few years of such function and then to have it taken away because of some shortage and insurance issues..it feels like my function is not and its in the hands of whoever wants to decide it for me. How is that right? I just am muddling through cause it is what i can do
edit on 21-3-2012 by rbkruspe because: spelling

edit on 21-3-2012 by rbkruspe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I see it as manufactured scarcity. Just a way to demand more money for a product by whining that it's not profitable enough in the current market model.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I think its partly to get more people to take that newer Vyvanse stuff. Adderall is pretty old and is a med that is popular even though its gone generic and so they have a whole lot of people still taking it cause if it aint broke don't fix it..So what better than to make it unavailable and the patients would have to try something else? What med is almost the same as Adderall? Vyvanse of course! Just a thought of one way it might have been profitable for them. But in any case it is ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by rbkruspe
I think its partly to get more people to take that newer Vyvanse stuff. Adderall is pretty old and is a med that is popular even though its gone generic

You're right, once the patent runs out, it's not as profitable.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
reply to post by RobinB022

Meanwhile people are dropping like flies due to cancer medication shortages.

I thought the cancer patients were dropping like flies due to the cancer medication, not because of a shortage of the drug(s).

Time to start looking up medical plants, build a reading list or notebook...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by virraszto
Adderall is almost impossible to get now---10 or 20 mg. I even had my script changed to the 24hr, which I was told most places would have and they did for a few months. Now I can't get either generic or name brand. I can't keep running to the dr to get my script changed.

I heard that there is a new adhd medicine on the market and the reason for the adderall shortage is so people will switch to the new medicine. Don't know how true that is.

It's called Concerta that they are switching to. Adderall has been on a big shortage this past year, its really weird.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
There's been no Tylonol products at my local grocery store for over a month now, just a little sign saying their distributer doesn't have a large enough supply to provide them with any Tylonol products. Unusual.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
The PTB are doing everything they can to make life an unlivable hell for many.......
I believe you will begin seeing some push for euthenasia or suicide being legalised hit the mainstream when they think we have been softened up enough.........
90% of humanity is going to have to die one way or another(and they dont care how....)The Elite WILL have their NWO over OUR dead and pain wracked bodies....
They do NOT care about anything,,they are psychopaths......get it?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by rbkruspe

My father was prescribed Adderall (as get up and go med) and just in the last year this is the third over month long shortage on it. He tried the Vvyanse stuff and swore it made him sick and hallucinate. (he kept seeing spider webs and having weird dreams.) People are going to start turning to the street sellers before long to get the meds they need. But the street sellers won't even have them before long.

On a complete side note - My Mother-in Law is an ex-Waves President, I love your Avatar!

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Also the gov't is buying ammunition like crazy and causing prices to go up as well. It is not just drugs.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Yep Zofran is short here. I Always have to look all over for it, or wait weeks for an order to come in.
It sucks. I need that stuff.

I think they will start making more medications illegal because with the new health care system, they are not going to want to pay expensive med prices, and things like adhd drugs will be made illegal so they do not have to pay for them. I think we will see this with a lot of drugs.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I haven't noticed a reduction of tylenol or aspirin like some have, but I have found that potassium iodide and kelp are completely gone. Not like they're sold out, but the space for them on store shelves has been replaced. I've resorted to ordering hard to find supplements and meds online.

Originally posted by chevy369
Also the gov't is buying ammunition like crazy and causing prices to go up as well. It is not just drugs.

Star. I noticed that, too.

edit on 21-3-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Because of the high cost and as a remedy to shortages, many senior citizens buy their medications from "All Day Chemist". It is a company in India. I found this out in a group for those who have COPD. Some of the medications for this disease are very expensive and you do what you have to do.
Personally, I feel the govt is stockpiling.
So far I can still find and afford the copays for the medications I need in the U.S.
edit on 21-3-2012 by grumpydaysleeper because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I would think that the real problem isnt the shortage of drugs but more of our dependency on them. Seems like a good time find other ways to treat our health issues. Im not saying that some drugs are not necessary, im just saying now days there is a drug for everything. We tend to treat the symptoms, not the cause of the ailment. Maybe its time to change focus....

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

A friend's wife is a pharmacist and was talking about how every day she's getting in-store visits and phone calls from people who are coming/calling from all over looking for speed -er, Adderol, and opium...ahhh, I mean, Norco.
She doesn't know why the shortages are happening, except that she's heard rumblings about DEA production/import limitations leading to supply issues, but that's just "word on the street" in pharmacist circles.

She's had no issues with blood pressure pills, antibiotics, asthma meds, and whatever other common junk is out there. To me, it sounds like there's shortages of the drugs which are commonly used as recreational drugs, but not on any of the other classes of drugs. It does seem to be at least nationwide though, whatever the cuase...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join