It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heavy Mass Object In-Coming?

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ajay59

Do you know why we try so hard? I know at least in my case it's because ATS is going downhill and we're trying to preserve what it once was. This site is all about sensationalism now when once it was actually about finding the truth. Take this thread. It started with a video by a known hoaxer and then has proceeded to spout every debunked claim about Nibiru there is. Yet it has 63 flags and 41 stars. Now let's look at the thread I made today. It was based on extensive research and corrects many of the false claims made regarding 2012. Yet because it doesn't promise magic or aliens it's wallowing in obscurity.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant but I'm sick and tired of the way certain threads are ignored simply because they don't present some reality where everything is going to fix itself. ATS is supposed to be about searching for the truth, not escapism. That's why I'm taking part in this thread. To show that ATS still has some standards when it comes to proof and evidence. As I have said somewhere else, arguments from ignorance are not evidence or proof. They are merely cop outs that don't help anything progress.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ajay59

Have you figured out why you were wrong about the exceeded speed of light claim?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

A friendly reminder...

...to remain civil to one another and leave the smack talk out. Adherence to this simple request is expected. Consider this fair warning.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
.... and welcome to another fear mongering thread! We don't have more earthquakes, nothing unusual. Its pretty easy to check, just look at that graph:

The more interesting question should be, why are there so much less earthquakes with a magnitude bigger than 7, from 1975 to approximately 2005. But the graph tells you form 1900 - 1975 we had the same amount of earthquakes we are having today... After a period of time where out home planet remained more silent than usual.

You can check by yourself and play with the parameters on Wolframalpha.com. Thats kind of a knowledge base with all sorts of database which can be visualized dynamically.

Use either this in the search phrase box

earthquake magnitude > 7 from 1900 to 2012

or follow this link

Earthquakes with magnitude greate than 7 visualized (1900 - 2011)

Btw, there are so many amateure astronomers out there with really good equipment. They would spot that immediately and not keeping their mouth shut.

In the 3rd of 4th posting after the OP, one user explained the Mayan calendar and obviously has expert knowledge on that. Keep in mind, that we in our gregorian calendar dont' even precisely know, which year Jesus was really born. It is very doubtful that ours and the Mayan calandar are even synchronized accurately.

Last think I want to mention is Erich von Daniken. You might think of him what you want, but he knows the Mayan culture very well. He states the whole 2012 thing is bull#.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

You are done where I am concerned. You caught yourself in your own falsehoods.

Later!

edit on 21-3-2012 by ajay59 because: to add

Thirty four pages and you all still FAILED, at turning anyone!

edit on 21-3-2012 by ajay59 because: to add

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ajay59

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by ajay59

You are completely ignoring the fact that it was impossible to move beyond the speed of light!

False. It is impossible to move beyond the speed of light in a vacuum.

Clearly you did not read the link I posted.

Furthermore your previous claim quoted below is false.

Why does an HMO have to be detected by our known scientific methods? I seen recently that E=MC2 is not quite right when scientists accelerated a particle beyond light speed! Our science, as we know it is not right!

What friggin difference does a vacuum make? BEYOND THE SPEED OF LIGHT!

Calm........down.

You obviously do not have a large background in physics, which is fine. Not everyone does, nor needs to.
Unfortunately, you don't want to read and learn about it either.

So I'll try to explain as best as I can:

Two cars are on a freeway traveling at 60 Mph. They are traveling towards each other. When they pass, they will do so at a APPARENT velocity of 120 Mph. Even though each is only going 60 Mph.

Do it another way: same to cars, except one is going 61 Mph. They are going in the same direction this time. When the one going 61 Mph passes the car only going 60 Mph, the people in the 60 Mph car will see that the other car is only moving past them at 1 Mph.

Sound travels at 765 Mph through the air, at sea level (1 Earth atmosphere). However, sound will travel much faster than that in water, because water is much more dense than air. We still say that the speed of sound is 765 Mph however.

Light travels at 186,000 Mps in a vacuum. However, there are times when it can APPEAR that light travels faster than this. For example a radio frequency moving inside a waveguide. The leading edge of that radio wave will LOOK as though it is moving faster than light. It's not however, it only appears that way to the observer.

The easiest way I can put it to you is this: Particles shot through a chamber with an atmosphere will APPEAR to go faster than the speed of light, because those particles are traveling though a medium that is denser than a vacuum. Just like sound in water.

Does that help? The speed of light is still, and always will be 186,000 Mps in a vacuum. Nothing can exceed that, because the amount of energy required to accelerate mater to that speed would be infinite. The object's mass would become infinite, and it's length would become infinite. Time aboard a space craft that achieves light speed would become infinite too. 1 second at actual light speed for them, would be all of time in the universe, and more.
edit on 21-3-2012 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Do you know why we try so hard? I know at least in my case it's because ATS is going downhill and we're trying to preserve what it once was. This site is all about sensationalism now when once it was actually about finding the truth. Take this thread. It started with a video by a known hoaxer and then has proceeded to spout every debunked claim about Nibiru there is. Yet it has 63 flags and 41 stars. Now let's look at the thread I made today. It was based on extensive research and corrects many of the false claims made regarding 2012. Yet because it doesn't promise magic or aliens it's wallowing in obscurity.

So your basically upset because this thread is receiving more attention then yours? Now isn't that a cry out for sympathy. You basically started promoting your thread on here to divert more views to yours? I've seen worse threads with no potential whatsoever go instantly to the hoax bin. This is obviously an interesting subject with potential...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ajay59

I didnt fail at anything, I dont know if I swayed anyones opinion if I did then good on me.

All I can say is I tried to show people that this claim simply is not true. We all showed a lot of information that we see as being correct.

Once the information is presented then it is up to people to believe it or not, you have chosen not to believe the information we post and instead attack members on this thread. Way to go instead of proving any of us wrong well you in turn did nothing to better Human_aliens topic.

link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

This isn't about promoting my own topic. It's about pointing out a problem that is endemic to ATS currently. The more sensational a thread is the better it does. The motto of ATS is Deny Ignorance, so why do those threads that truly attempt to deny ignorance get ignored? The fact that this thread has brought up such things as Eris and the 1983 Washington Post article as supposed proof of Nibiru demonstrates that supporters of this theory aren't actually trying to deny ignorance. They're simply trying to confirm their worldview by shoehorning completely unrelated data in as "evidence." I guarantee you that if this thread were made a year ago we would have seen numerous references to Elenin at this point. Once again the motto of ATS is Deny Ignorance not "Come here to escape the real world by posting fantasies you wish were true."

link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
This is obviously an interesting subject with potential...

It's obviously an interesting subject with potential, but it is founded on basic misunderstandings, and to be frank, I would not have had the patience exhibited by those who are trying to explain.

Basic, there is no observable, measurable evidence and it is based on a new dark ages paradigm of mythology, ignorance and lack of understanding; over science and reason.
edit on 21-3-2012 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

reply to post by ajay59

Have you figured out why you were wrong about the exceeded speed of light claim?

www.google.com... ot.com%2F2010%2F05%2Fwhy-dont-more-astronomers-report-seeing.html&ei=-WlqT4uCNaqqsQKZ882NBg&usg=AFQjCNGxg5RdNYJOJBZOQOzxiyoGmu2w2Q

Nope, have you?

edit on 21-3-2012 by ajay59 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
You know, if the believers desperately want to believe in an incoming doom, maybe we should let them. Let them have their undisturbed pow-wows where they all agree with each other that a rogue planet is coming to swing by earth, raise the oceans, awaken volcanoes, and basically reduce mankind to rubble.

But to be fair, those same believers should accept the fact that this theory cannot remain "pending" in perpetuity. At some point, the naysayers will have every right to ridicule and shame the living # out of you for unnecessarily spreading fear when/if it becomes obvious that Nibiru doesn't exist. You can't keep claiming for years and years that it's coming, right? At some point even the most staunch believer has to call "time and temp."

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
One other thing for those with a grasp of physics and science on either side of the debate. I'm a simpleton so please forgive the stupidity of what I'm about to ask.

If there were an incoming heavy mass object that is causing such great disturbances/noises/animal deaths/etc., how come only certain things are being effected? For example, why aren't satellites (o even the ISS) being pulled away from the earth due to the massive gravitational force?

The believers claim the solar activity (flares, CME's, etc. being the result of the pull of the HMO) and earthquakes here on Earth (the result of the pull of the HMO)...to dumb it down even further, why aren't things being pulled towards this thing? I want to float, damnit.
Also, how come the tides aren't getting scarier? I was always figured that would be the first sign that something like this could be going on.

Thanks in advance to the brainiacs who'd be so kind as to help a brother understand this.
edit on 21-3-2012 by ColAngus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

reply to post by ajay59

www.google.com... ot.com%2F2010%2F05%2Fwhy-dont-more-astronomers-report-seeing.html&ei=-WlqT4uCNaqqsQKZ882NBg&usg=AFQjCNGxg5RdNYJOJBZOQOzxiyoGmu2w2Q

Nope, have you?

Ah, too bad. Was hoping you were just misunderstanding the science, but it seems instead, you simply want to turn everything into a joke.

I had students like you when I was a teacher, disrupted the class quite well. Too bad they didn't want to actually learn.

At some point you have those that refuse to look at the obvious science that's pointed to them time and again. Those you'll never change.
However, there are plenty of people that sit on the fence, who are willing to listen to both sides. Those people are reachable, and prove that not everyone is willing to buy every single thing that is being sold out there.

However, the longer I'm at ATS, the more and more I see people blindly believing in things, the more I think about how good I am with 3ds Max and making CGI, and the more I think maybe I should start making some money on the side too.

But my heart isn't in that. I'd rather teach people, and debate in a civilized way about things.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful

reply to post by ajay59

Nope, have you?

Ah, too bad. Was hoping you were just misunderstanding the science, but it seems instead, you simply want to turn everything into a joke.

I had students like you when I was a teacher, disrupted the class quite well. Too bad they didn't want to actually learn.

At some point you have those that refuse to look at the obvious science that's pointed to them time and again. Those you'll never change.
However, there are plenty of people that sit on the fence, who are willing to listen to both sides. Those people are reachable, and prove that not everyone is willing to buy every single thing that is being sold out there.

However, the longer I'm at ATS, the more and more I see people blindly believing in things, the more I think about how good I am with 3ds Max and making CGI, and the more I think maybe I should start making some money on the side too.

But my heart isn't in that. I'd rather teach people, and debate in a civilized way about things.

Did you read the article? Post it, I dare ya!

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by camus154

Originally posted by JonU2
There is, imo, a big influence on science by those who have power (yes, I danced around the edges there), who decide what can be allowed into the the public arena or what can be kept private.

Therefore, every science that has been allowed into the public arena is not complete..............

Ok, look....let's say you're right and to keep things simple, let's sum it up by saying politics influences and in some cases stifles science.

Fine.
Thanks, we say the same thing in very different ways....
So what? Does that mean you can't believe ANYTHING that science tells us? No, of course not. Does that mean you can't believe the MAJORITY of what science tells us? Well, again, of course not. Because as someone else pointed out, science isn't "run" by any one agency. You have professional organizations in different countries, universities, not to mention all of the closet professionals/amateurs.

So what are you really trying to say here? That science is "incomplete"? Well no kidding. It's always been incomplete, without any political force involved.

So maybe we aren't getting the "whole" picture, but we've NEVER had the whole picture. That doesn't stop us from trying, and it most certainly doesn't invalidate the scientific method or what we DO know to be true.

So to assume that any one particular pet theory just might be true and hedge ALL your justifications for believing that on the fact that we don't know the whole picture, is really no different than a plea to ignorance.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Nope, have you?

Did you read the article? Post it, I dare ya!

Nope. Sorry, but you're off topic (and you need to learn how to post links. That one is broken). And posting anything from there to here would be a violation of terms. Why not instead return to the Op's topic instead.

Or at the very least show a citation on the subject you brought up: scientist accelerating a particle faster than light.
edit on 21-3-2012 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
This was a joke. I joined 'Terral's Research Group' on PalTalk last night and he basically answered a bunch of paranoid peoples questions with a bunch of hearsay 'scenario' talk. LOL. He said he was 99% sure a 9.0+ quake would strike between Australia and New Zealand TODAY, DAY 188, 3/21/12.

So I logged on this evening and what do I find? That Terral's Research Group is no longer active. Hearsay, conjecture, and a bunch of uncertified hooplas debating data that they haven't a clue how to read accurately.

This same thing was going on with Elenin (Extinction Level Event, bla bla bla). This is getting to be a really boring, yet emotional, cycle of crap vs. reality and reality keeps winning time and time again.

Now, while I'm sure that there is something going on with our little blue pearl, it's NOTHING any of us are going to be able to prepare for IF/WHEN it happens in our lifetimes. Otherwise, the only things I will prepare for are the only things I can truly prep for; the human element and making sure I'm fed.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The point of this thread is to discuss a 'big thing' that has supposedly entered the earth's solar system.

I'm not sure whether this has happenend. It could have.

Why are there so many people here that think that they know it hasn't?

Good luck to the scientists of this planet - the ones who have made break-throughs, that are allowed to be made public knowledge........

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by JonU2
It could have.

No it couldn't have. A mass that size can not exist within 320 AU's. This has been proven, and stated now numerous times in this thread.

Why are there so many people here that think that they know it hasn't?

Why are there so many people here who think that they know more, when they haven't got any experience in astrophysics, or astrology is more of a question I'd be asking.

There are so many people here who KNOW there isn't a planet that size there, because
1. We'd see it by now.
2. We have made surveys on objects to a certain distance to know that there is nothing there.
3. Even if a massive object existed beyond 320 AU's, it would not enter the inner solar system.
4. If such an object existed, we would have noticed it's impacts years ago.

I don't understand why we have to keep revisiting this discussion.
edit on 21.3.2012 by Shugo because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join