It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

187/188 DAYS ? ---- WOW----Strong 7.9/8m long earthquake shakes Mexico City

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by cayote

Pretty likely there'll be aftershocks as this was a shallow event, but whether it will cause any remote triggering is anyone's guess, frankly. I've long thought that large events like this could well have knock-on effects but examples where this has happened seem to be pretty rare and make it hard to set up any reliable "A causes B" kind of hypothesis.

Hopefully it won't do much as there are other regions along the plate that are pretty well primed with lots of energy right now, like the Cascadia Subduction Zone, for example. Yes, it's a long way from Mexico but still along that same general line of oceanic to continental plate systems.

Mike

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by cayote
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

even if this is 1 day of that could be because what ever is pulling on the earth if moving closer.
the 188 day is in my opinion valid

No, we CAN'T be that lenient considering the fact that quakes happen daily...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Keep in mind this could be a FORESHOCK to an even bigger event, remember Japan had several 7+ magintues quakes in the days leading up to the main event. Be prepared for an even bigger quake in the next day or two.

link   

Originally posted by Mister1k
Just like Japan 7.3 exactly two days before 03/09/11 and then a 9.0 and 15,000 aftershocks. Another coincidence!!!!

This goes along with my concern that this may be a foreshock to a much larger quake.

link   
Ugh. Fine:

January 10, 2012 -- Indonesia, 7.2
February 2, 2012 -- Vanuatu, 7.1
December 14, 2011 -- New Guinea, 7.1
October 21, 2011 -- New Zealand, 7.4

Source

You know how many fatalities resulted from all of those COMBINED?

None. Zero.

Everyone calm down and have some dip.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

thanks for sharing that info I would just like to add this is not the biggest one we will se a bigger one in the coming 2 months 10 days before may 6 is the time to watch.

link   
6.2 and Papua interesting developments today

link   

Originally posted by wigit
Isn't the limit for measuring earthquakes about an 8?

en.wikipedia.org...

7 is a Major Quake
8's and 9's are Great Quakes
and 10's and over are Massive, unknown and never recorded so far.

I remember two Decembers in a row with 9'ers in Indonesia and Fukishima's quake offshore was a 9'er.

The richter scale isn't the only consideration when considering the magnitude and severity of a quake. There are other scales and other factors as well.

Currently, it's at 7.6 on USGS and probably will change a tiny bit more as they match all the various readings together.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by camus154

Because nobody might have died here? Come on, your better than that.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Big enough and close enough to fit the 188 day theory.There might just be something to this. Lets keep in mind there is still 48 hours left to the opening window for the prediction. I hope the Mexico event is the only one. Good thing the depth was reestimated deeper than the original 2 clicks. That woulda been devistating. My prayers for all affected
edit on 20-3-2012 by NervousNJerky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by NervousNJerky
Big enough and close enough to fit the 188 day theory. Lets keep in mind there is still 48 hours left to the opening window for the prediction. There might just besomething to this. I hope the Mexico event is the only one. Good thing the depth was reestimated deeper than the original 2 clicks. That woulda been devistating. My prayers for all affected

Leap year this year, would that make it 188 days.
Not that this really matters this second. I think all our thoughts should be on the people there.

ps:
Does 21s December this year come close to this 188 day theory?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by shauny

Because nobody might have died here? Come on, your better than that.

So far, no major damage has been reported.

That's not the point. The point is that there's no magical 188 day cycle going on here, as I already showed.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

reply to post by shauny

No, the next 188 day cycle is in September this year.

I will be watching closely for another 8.0+ mag in the next 24 to 48 hours, I think the worst is yet to come unfortunately.

edit on 20-3-2012 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by -W1LL
reply to post by JustMike

thanks for sharing that info I would just like to add this is not the biggest one we will se a bigger one in the coming 2 months 10 days before may 6 is the time to watch.

what is your proof or theory of that?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Strong aftershocks being reported by people on twitter.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nucleardoom

reply to post by shauny

No, the next 188 day cycle is in September this year.

Was worth an ask. I cant count. lol

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

Glad to hear that things don't seem to bad in Mexico after this quake, but I beg to differ on one point: 11 miles is not deep for a quake of this size. In fact, it's very shallow. When we get down below 40 miles or so then it's starting to get deep but much less than that is shallow enough to have quite severe effects at the surface.

The mag 7.0 (Mw) quake in Haiti on 12 Jan 2010 was 13 km deep (8.1 miles) and we all know what devastation that caused. (Data reference: Haiti quake data page at USGS )

This Mexico quake, at mag 7.6, is 3.981 times bigger than that mag 7.0 in terms of the shaking but was 7.943 times stronger in terms of its energy release. In other words, that difference of just a few km/miles from the Haiti event's depth would not be enough to dampen its stronger effects, especially on any URM buildings in the vicinity.

Best regards,

Mike

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Ugh. Fine:

So people are ignoring ones that don't fit their cycle of 188 days? Confirmation bias, which sort of makes sense I guess.

Still, pretty wiggy though. I know in my head it's not a 188 day cycle and people are manipulating the data to fit it, but still pretty fricking odd!

Hope everyone over there is ok.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Ugh. Fine:

Source

You know how many fatalities resulted from all of those COMBINED?

None. Zero.

None of those were above 7.5

So, quakes of magnitude above 7.5 DON'T HAPPEN every month...

A quake of magnitude above 7.5 is a NOTICEABLE EVENT, even if there are no casualties.

It's VERY ODD that this quakes happened almost in the date predicted by the "188 days theory".

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
188 days...187 days...even 185 days...that is close enough for me...I would call that a fairly accurate prediction either way!

Imagine the lives that could be saved if an earthquake can be predicted within even 30 days!

Glad to hear there is no reported damage as of yet!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join