It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I finally broke down and did it

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by paperface

I dont think you will find anybody here that kills anything for fun. Heaven forbid anybody should take another life, but I look at it like this.

down the street a guy who had guns lived next to a person that didnt believe in them. One night guy with guns heard a noise next door. The guy next door was getting robbed. Guy with guns locks his doors and goes to bed. Next morning guy that didnt believe in guns was found dead in his home and robbed. Guy with the guns didnt feel he should impose on the neighbors rights not to believe in guns.

bummer!!!

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

If you can hit a moving target in the ear then god damn you're good! I smell bull# though. A deer never keeps it's head still enough for that. Use a humane gun and stop wounding animals.

Mr. Ishootdeeratnight. That's illegal in every state! Get some morals kid! Hunters like you give real hunters a bad name!

p.s. I'm not booksmart I'm from the country. I've seen something like 80 deer every year taken from the mountains where I grew up. Not one was taken with a .22lr. Majority of hunters consider the 5.56x45 the smallest ethical deer hunting weapon.
edit on 19-3-2012 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend

If you can hit a moving target in the ear then god damn you're good! I smell bull# though. A deer never keeps it's head still enough for that. Use a humane gun and stop wounding animals.
Deer often stand still particularly when something isnt right in their environment. Had you lived in the country you would have grasped this concept of deer and wild game in general

Mr. Ishootdeeratnight. That's illegal in every state! Get some morals kid! Hunters like you give real hunters a bad name!

Never said I poached Deer. I just live in the country and know what goes on, living in the same place for years lets you know who, and its cool because people have to do what people have to do to get by. Its a Live and Let Live concept and sometimes you need neighbors in the country. Had you lived in the country you would have grasped this concept.

p.s. I'm not booksmart I'm from the country. I've seen something like 80 deer every year taken from the mountains where I grew up. Not one was taken with a .22lr. Majority of hunters consider the 5.56x45 the smallest ethical deer hunting weapon.

Yeah, never in my 50 years of country living have I ever heard a 30-06 called a 7.62Xanything and never have I heard a 22lr called a 5.5 X15 what ever you called it.

You are calling a 50year old man a kid who has served his country over the span of 3 decades to include overseas operational experience as an Army11B and a Sergeant in a leadership position.In the Infantry that means keeping people alive to take home to their mothers and wives.

In your quest to "square away the world" you have also insulted a Marine Infantryman, who like an Army Infantryman is a weapons expert not only on paper but in this day and age means he was an expert while people were shooting at him and his team. Ie, we have real world experience with that weapon your avatar has hanging on its back. And everything else in the military inventory that a soldier can carry that goes BOOM.

Lurk around for a while you will catch on.

edit on 19-3-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

Where I come from, poachers are cast out and never have any neighbor for anything. They simply do not need to poach to get by. They actually know how to hunt! Being as the local population of deer had been descimated and re-populated by conservationists every few years, poaching is really frowned upon, even by local people!

You're pulling the service card huh? Good luck in a shtf scenario with a .22lr. Being undergunned when you have no clue what you might have to shoot at is just stupid. That's the whole idea of a shtf scenario. Be prepared for anything, not shooting medium game through the ears because it sounds cool.

I know exactly how a deer behaves. They pause, and scan, move their head quickly, pause, and scan. They only pause for about 2 seconds so good luck hitting the egg sized brain in 2 seconds without a rest, reliably. You should also know, the more hunters that are out, the more likely they are to simply run, and not bother looking for you. Obviously every person that has a gun will be out hunting for deer, because deer are the most popular game animal. If you get a shot at a deer at all under these conditions, you're lucky. To expect a head shot, is not realistic.

Keep your .22lr though! It will make life easier for anyone with a real gun. I say real gun because .22 pellet guns perform on the same level with the .22lr nowadays.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

dont stop there, you are on a role. tell me ALL about your gear and what you will be carrying

They only pause for about 2 seconds so good luck

"BRRRRRRNT" wrong answer!.........they will stand for minutes right up until eye contact is made.....

shew, fly!!! Go away!!

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux

you have to have mind control powers to properly defeat zombies.

Rip their rotting arms off and beat them senseless with them. Or pull their legs off and they will not be getting anywhere quickly. How can anyone take zombies seriously?

I have a .22 Smith and Wesson semi auto pistol and an sks rifle. I also have a bow and a wrist rocket which will be getting me most of my food. I think folks believe that big game will be quite plentiful when the shtf. Maybe for rural dwellers, but suburban folks will be surviving on much smaller game. I suppose I will be eating lots of dove and quail.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Jump out of your tree stand and slit their throats with a USMC combat knife. Quit wasting ammo!

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Not that I am knocking on the 22 cal pellet guns as I have a very nice one and it would be an excellent choice as a "survival gun" if you had certain limitations aka laws or just did not want to be heard by the neighborhood at night.
But you said,

.22 pellet guns perform on the same level with the .22lr nowadays

This is not even close.
My pellet gun firing projectiles 1/3 to 1/4 the weight of a 22lr bullet just a little north of 1000ft/s.
The 22lr can fire a 40gr projectile anywhere from 1000-1400ish ft/s.
There is a huge difference here in velocity and bullet weight.
Which equals alot of damage.
Unless you know of a "airgun" that can shoot a 40gr projectile @1400ft/s, then you have my attention.
(Edit)
Keeping in mind, my pellet gun is only a few months old and is a very nice model.
My old one fired 22cal pellets just north of 600ft/s.
edit on 19-3-2012 by g146541 because: to add

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I wish to know where these deer are. Easy pickins son!

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

A .22lr can perform as poorly as 500 fps, especially the bulk ammo that survivalists are undoubtedly stock piling.

www.bigboreairguns.com...

Is that impressive enough for ya? Let me guess, the 22lr can do that too right?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I wish to know where these deer are. Easy pickins son!

you telling on your self is quite comical,,,

any more realities you want to ring in on.....

tell me more about the new gear I will be collecting.
A shot gun Like the OP has purchased maybe?
maybe an Ithaca 37 trench gun that I covet with duckbill

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I never said that I kill deer with a 22lr. I just said it was possible. And yes deer to stand still at times. Maybe you have never seen it, but I have on plenty of occasions. It's called being a stealthy hunter. So please stop assuming you know me or my actions and I won't make off the wall assumptions about you ok.

And yes I could very easily hit a deer through the ear as I am incredible with a rifle in any situation. Much time spent practicing, shooting competition, and enough time in war. Just because you think it may be difficult does not make it so. Also, you know deer behave differently depending on their environment right.?

edit on 19/3/12 by usmc0311 because: added content.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I recommend the winchester model 70 chambered in 30-06 or .308 or a remington 700 chambered in 30-06 or .308. Those two guns can handle anything you need and are a common round. Unless you would preffer to get charged by a hungry bear as your .22lr rounds bounce off of it's skull.

As for a good shotgun, the browning A-5 is a great shotgun!

Any of those guns will perform admirably under the worst conditions and take care of anything you run across.

Actually, the number of hunters around shooting at them is what will change behavior more than anything. Once a few morons have missed them or shot them in the butt with a .22lr (I've never seen anyone use that for hunting deer
) they're not going to stick around for long at all! They will just bolt rather than actually look for you.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I recommend the winchester model 70 chambered in 30-06 or .308 or a remington 700 chambered in 30-06 or .308. Those two guns can handle anything you need and are a common round. Unless you would preffer to get charged by a hungry bear as your .22lr rounds bounce off of it's skull.

As for a good shotgun, the browning A-5 is a great shotgun!

Any of those guns will perform admirably under the worst conditions and take care of anything you run across.

sorry but my Ruger Mark 7 .308 would be ditched as TSHTF turns into feet, its too heavy and so are the rounds.14 full mags/double combat load + 400 rnds 5.56 and 200rnds 12ga 00buck and the Marlin with a 3x9 on it and 1k rnds is all I have room to carry

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Actually, the number of hunters around shooting at them is what will change behavior more than anything. Once a few morons have missed them or shot them in the butt with a .22lr (I've never seen anyone use that for hunting deer ) they're not going to stick around for long at all! They will just bolt rather than actually look for you.

Well sure if you let people crawl all over your land, but we have no intention of doing so. We have the land and resources to alleviate that problem. I actually prefer to hunt with my bow more than anything, but when I hunt deer with a firearm I use my .50 black powder rifle. One shot One kill as we Marines say.

Also, not trying to sound mean but, do you really think us military veterans only have 22s with cheap ammo, C'mon now. I have many different firearms my favorite being my ak.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I have many different firearms my favorite being my ak.

had an SKS until it went burrrrrrrrp at the range love that round and its performance. now I wish I never sold it. and an AK is on my wish list as well.
signs of the times,,,wish in one hand yada yada yada.......

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Where I am from there's a range of about 50 square miles where everyone hunts. It's awesome, but they still manage to kill the deer out often. I'm not sure who actually owns it.

I realize that all of you are sitting on AKs with boxes crammed with surplus russian ammo right now. Admit to that though, and don't try to talk some noob into thinking a .22lr is a do-all rifle. It's not.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

22lr will be the last weapon in my possession/scratch that....your gear will be the first I part company with ...sorry, in a real SHTF situation. I promise I will have fun with your elephant gun ...and then make it firewood

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

To take a page from the above, do you really think that's my only firearm?

Seriously, are you threatening my wellbeing?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Seriously, are you threatening my wellbeing?

On No, you do well enough of that on your own

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join