It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I finally broke down and did it

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
The best survival gun is a good 22 caliber rifle. Ammo is cheap and you can kill just about anything with it. A 30-06 makes for a great deer or big game rifle. I prefer the 300 win mag due to a flatter trajectrory but thats just me. Anyway good luck and have fun with your new shotgun.

plenty of deer have been killed with a .22lr mega plenty thats like lots of them ...ok ok unless your making 3oo+ yd shots the 22lr will do anything an 06 will.and what does a thousand rounds weigh? 6-8 lbs

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The only guns my local Walmart sell are paintball and air but they also sell baseball bats,bows and arrows,chainsaws and other stuff that can be helpful.

They also sell food the regular kind and camping they sell sleeping bags, and tents and hammers and nails and other things that a person could use.

You can't purchase survial you can't purchase common sense either either your born with it or your not.

My local Ace hardware store is my go to place even zombie supplies.
edit on 17-3-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
The only guns my local Walmart sell are paintball and air but they also sell baseball bats,bows and arrows,chainsaws and other stuff that can be helpful.

They also sell food the regular kind and camping they sell sleeping bags, and tents and hammers and nails and other things that a person could use.

You can't purchase survial you can't purchase common sense either either your born with it or your not.

My local Ace hardware store is my go to place even zombie supplies.
edit on 17-3-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

the last zombie documentary i saw, Dawn of the Dead, was featured around non-zombies that were trapped in a Shopping Mall...none of those idiots survived.

you have to have mind control powers to properly defeat zombies.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Usually the best weapons are the old ones, I heard from people who found old guns from their grandparents and they still work fine like a champ, these guns usually work a lifetime.
Sometime ago I found a knife from my father, the knife is about 25 years old. He used it in South Africa for protection, it's still the best knife I ever had. It's a shame they don't make them goodies anymore. All you get today is crap from china that usually lasts 2 years .

nice shotgun though.

edit on 17-3-2012 by Jauk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
My opinion about a survival gun is simple, it needs to protect AND feed you, both, and needs to have easily found/made ammo, as well as versatile.

My favorite gun for this type of situation is a Remmington Spartan .22LR/410 over under. Single shot .22 or .410, the .410 has several chokes. It's accurate and toss a "split shell" 410 in as well as a tri-tipped 22 and you have 2 great chances to stop something cold. In a serious pinch you might be able to use a 45 calibre shot in the 410 chamber. I've seen it done.

Bore out the stock for some stored extra ammo and a firesteel and you got a great survival tool.

If you are just a gun nut then go get something crazy, like some of the guns in this video:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mytheroy

Your selection was the best selection, lemme splain why.
You now have a means to defend yourself as well as procure food if need be.
You have your first base covered.
From here work on the rest, as others have mentioned a 22lr would be an awesome addition, as 22 can kill anything out there and is a VERY versatile gun.
Then maybe a handgun then a regular big caliber hunting rifle.
If you upgrade to a better shotgun, I steer clear of semiauto shotguns as they come with a whole different set of rules.
For example, google "shotgun jams", none of the guns in the vid list will be pumps, but will be semiautos.
But you have gotten to first base, now practice and grow.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender

The best survival gun is a good 22 caliber rifle. Ammo is cheap and you can kill just about anything with it. A 30-06 makes for a great deer or big game rifle. I prefer the 300 win mag due to a flatter trajectrory but thats just me. Anyway good luck and have fun with your new shotgun.

plenty of deer have been killed with a .22lr mega plenty thats like lots of them ...ok ok unless your making 3oo+ yd shots the 22lr will do anything an 06 will.and what does a thousand rounds weigh? 6-8 lbs

I know a 22 will kill deer lol. I was just suggesting a good non survival deer rifle. I like the long shots myself. I keep my ruger 10/22 handy with much ammo on hand for my survival gun. 22 is still cheap even for good rounds. and the weight of 22 is much less as you know.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

Sometimes true. I have a 1951 Ithica model 37 pump action shot gun and it has never ever jammed or had problems other than bad ammo. It is a great hunting gun and will always be one of my favorites.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

A 30-06 shell is a 7.62mm x 63mm shell. The .22lr is 5.6mm x 15mm. A .22lr isn't even in the same realm when it comes to capability. The .22lr is only good for 150 yards. The .22 winchester magnum is a bit better but still not close to a 30-06, and still not fit for deer hunting.

In most states it's illegal to hunt deer with a .22lr because it's animal cruelty to shoot at an animal with a bullet that has very little chance of killing it.

I think this marine may be confusing the 5.56 x 45 or .223 with the .22lr.
edit on 17-3-2012 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender

I know a 22 will kill deer lol. I was just suggesting a good non survival deer rifle. I like the long shots myself. I keep my ruger 10/22 handy with much ammo on hand for my survival gun. 22 is still cheap even for good rounds. and the weight of 22 is much less as you know.

best shot I ever missed story
a like the .308 have a mark7 with a sportview 3x9...this coyote was way out there 1200+ took me 45 seconds to find him in the scope. so sight acquire fire right? I took the scope up on him like 12 feet guessing yardage put to bullet 3 feet in front of him made him turn around Best shot I ever missed

added: the ithica trench 12ga with the duck bill is on my want list

edit on 17-3-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend

A 30-06 shell is a 7.62mm x 63mm shell. The .22lr is 5.6mm x 15mm. A .22lr isn't even in the same realm when it comes to capability. The .22lr is only good for 150 yards. The .22 winchester magnum is a bit better but still not close to a 30-06, and still not fit for deer hunting.

In most states it's illegal to hunt deer with a .22lr because it's animal cruelty to shoot at an animal with a bullet that has very little chance of killing it.

I think this marine may be confusing the 5.56 x 45 or .223 with the .22lr.
edit on 17-3-2012 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

hey book smart, I want to follow you around when TSHTF maybe 3 days I can pick up your gear sooner if I want to play with your mind a little. either way I will get your gear. Now think about what I am saying and why I say it.

p.s. most deer shot in the USA are at night and with a .5.??X 15mm? what ever you call it. Get your dad or uncle to take you out into the woods or just read about it........never mind I want your gear. might be able to barter with it, proly the best money can buy too, ' shame
edit on 17-3-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

I'm not confused at all. I am a former Marine Infantyman and a Primary Marksmanship Instructor as well. I know my weapons and my rounds. The long shots I take are with the larger calibers. I rarely fire my 22lr beyond 50-75 yards as I have no need to shoot further with that small of a round. And yes, it is illegal to shoot a deer with a 22lr but the weapon will kill the deer. One clear shot centered in the ear and that baby will go down.

Also, not sure if you know this but I used to carry an M4 that was a 5.56x45 in the Corps as that is the standard NATO round that is used by the US Military.
edit on 18/3/12 by usmc0311 because: added content.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
... i don't know anything about guns...have only been hunting once as a child and i got a little grossed out...

So then WHY are you getting involved in this gun thread??

You are making NO sense at all.

A pocket knife thread may be more suitable survival thread for you.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

i'm convinced very few of you know about guns either and it would be upsetting to see people get too deep into things they know nothing at all about.

this type of behavior is rife these days...people running their mouths on and on about what they pretend to know. you know what i'm talking about friend?

maybe the OP is one of those people...considering that he bought it from Sears...i was thinking maybe he should consider spending his money on something that will actually be useful for him.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

I want to try out the .88 magnum I hear it shoots through schools

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

I'm not trying to be argumenative or disrespectfull but, You yourself said you know nothing about firearms. So how are you able to judge others knowledge and information then? And as far as the OP buying his at Sears. If it works there is nothing wrong with it and if he enjoy's hunting or just shooting I'm sure he will enjoy the weapon. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a firearm that works. Sure some are higher quality than others therefore cost more but in the long run they all can do simalar things.

people running their mouths on and on about what they pretend to know.

Well what do you call this.

maybe the OP is one of those people...considering that he bought it from Sears.

Again, I'm not trying to be disrespectfull or start an argument but I had to point that out.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
i'm not a gun guy and want to turn others off from them too by pointing out his inadequacies. i didn't think that would be a major deal.

you guys go ahead with the love fest...maybe the new Shotgun made OPs a little better today. i doubt it.

i think he'd be better off with a sword and body armor.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
i'm not a gun guy and want to turn others off from them too by pointing out his inadequacies. i didn't think that would be a major deal.

you guys go ahead with the love fest...maybe the new Shotgun made OPs a little better today. i doubt it.

i think he'd be better off with a sword and body armor.

Hey Mike its never about the gun, its always about the person with the gun,,,after reading some of your posts it seems you have had a long time to contemplate that very issue.

Its wasn't the gun, it was the intent to pull the trigger. The intent to make that thing, animal or person stop what it was doing, forever. Forever, as you well know, is a long long forever time.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

a high school classmate of mine was shot in the face four times and killed with his own gun; apparently after what was supposed to be a drug deal turned into murder and armed robbery.

i suspect their to be an energetic or spiritual component to possessing anything...when that object is a weapon, especially a firearm, significant mental and emotional changes occur in the possessor.

what happens when the OP is photographed holding his new gun...that's a strong statement...is he prepared to be that person?

when I first photographed myself holding a sword....i realized the truth of what i am telling you because I went through the change.

i'm not holding a sword...I am the sword.

you feel me.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mytheroy

You sick monkey! Now you are going to kill your entire neighborhood,accidentaly,while cleaning your shotgun.Ohhhhh the humanity.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join