It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KONY 2012 and the Invisible Children

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

Wow. Thank you for posting this.

It's weird, my boyfriend sent me the half hour video about Kony a few hours ago.
I loved all the people coming together for it, that's how life should be, that's how all of us should treat each other. Nobody deserves to live under those conditions. Especially a child.

He wanted to go downtown april 20th and help put up Kony posters.

I was going to make a thread about it earlier but was distracted.. So thanks. How'd you hear about it?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Something is not quite right about this story that it made me feel uncomfortable watching the video. There is a hidden agenda, i just don't know what it could be...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
I'm half way through this and my Spidey senses are going crazy. I can't put my finger on it, it doesn't feel natural, it feels "off". I can't explain it beyond that right now, still watching.

I have spoken with co-workers from that area of Africa and they do talk about the terrorism going on there all the time in the villages.

Did I hear correct, that the US sent a whopping "100 American advisers" there to capture Kony? Was there not enough oil, lithium, or poppy plants in that region to send more of a force to help?

Yea, and even that was hard to get.

Anyway, can you explain what you mean by "off"? Because i i really don't think there's anything "off" about this.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Thank you to seenavv for posting more current information on this.
I have to agree after reading his information that there is something wrong here. Either IC is campaigning for more funds by using Kony's name, Obama is going to use it to get re-elected, or the government is distracting us.

While I do believe in helping children in other countries, isn't there an old saying about charity starting at home? We sure have too many hungry and homeless children right here in the US.
edit on 7-3-2012 by chiefsmom because: sp

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
One thing wrong with this? You really want him dead just hire someone to do it. There are special forces 'out there' who'd wipe him off the map for little less money than the amount that's being drawn in by this campaign.

Problem is - Once Koby is gone? Who's ready to fill his shoes? Who. There are no voids in situations like this I can assure you.

Beyond that - I do NOT like this man using his son in this campaign. Enough said about that.

From there I checked out the info on the pages? 30$ bucks for the 'kit' or 15$ a month. Added note? This push for April? The 'kit' ships 4-6 weeks. Do the math.

Yeah, something is wrong here - I just can't pinpoint it yet.

I hope the boy from the film (Jacob is it?) who's in the States as a what - ambassador for the 'Invisible Children' doesn't get dumped by the way-side when this is all done.

peace
edit on 7-3-2012 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

Op.. this could be a scam.. or PsyOp.. notice that the organization only gives 15 cents on the dollar to the country... and that they will not submit to BBB their details..

Watch Out!!!!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Why is everyone so paranoid??

" this doesnt feel right "

" theres a hidden agenda "

Ya wanna kno why it doesnt feel right for ya?

Because your not used to seeing people actually trying to make a difference and succeeding on such a scale!

IT bugs me a little how there is no mention of Sam Childers A.K.A The machine gun preacher who has been fighting against Kony for a number of years and continues to do so and liberates as many of these abducted child soldiers as possible.

We as a race should help these children, and to sit at your computer and say " hmmm this doesnt feel right, i feel uncomfortable " is a bloody joke, YOU feel uncomfortable?? think of the children over there!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicConsciousness

I thought the same thing. There are tons of warlords just like this guy in Africa. However facebook/someone else has made an effort to go after this one (yes facebook, notice how unnaturally fast it went viral. One day. That is all it took, one day and it went viral. Also it has HEAVY facebook usage in the video. )

Something is up.

They are not all of a sudden after this guy for something he and hundreds others have been doing for decades.
edit on 7-3-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Disagree with you by a very large margin.

Obviously there are other war lords but there is no one who has carried out the level of atrocities of Kony anywhere in the world, let alone just Africa (will qualify that with currently rather than historically).

Do not take my word for it though. Please look into it yourself. The more people that actually understand what Kony and the LRA does and what it is about, the better.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I did.. I actually looked into it rather than finish that video after about 5 minutes of watching facebooks newest functions. It was a forced viral video. Only a small percentage of the money actually goes to missing children. I wonder if they rest goes to supporting the lesser evil army they think can wipe out the LRA?

Be suspicious. Nothing goes this widespread in less than a day.
Also.. there are many war lords just as bad. Look into the liberian war lords.
edit on 7-3-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I wonder if this has anything to do with that crazy preacher woman from Africa who talks about children being witches.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Best video anyone can watch at this moment.

Best cause anyone can get active in at the moment.

I was completely moved by the movie, this is what we should be working towards as a human race.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
classic misdirection
what better to use as a distraction than a worthy cause?

sidenote, i posted the tumblr to facebook to see if it would work
and it did
which is good
cus that's where it's at.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
With the nature of social networking as it is today, I don't find it surprising at all that it went viral so quickly.
The charity has a very large following comprised of mainly young people, young people have more than one social network/media available to them, as do many others.
If you want a fire to start, you use something that will burn. If you want it to keep burning, you use more kindling.
We are nothing more than kindling the flame by sharing this, and social medias and networks are the easiest and quickest ways for things to spread these days.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

The war lords of Liberia were terrible. No one disputes that. However, what the LRA has been perpetrating and for the length of time it has been carrying out these acts, they are in a league of their own. I have been personally aware of the LRA since 1995 and have closely followed their activities since. I have friends and former colleagues that still deal with the aftermath of the LRA, for example trying to rehabilitate child soldiers. These friends / colleagues (and myself in previous career) have been involved in various war zones around Africa, Europe, Asia and nothing compares to the LRA for the sheer terror they induce in native populations.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I think the reason some people are skeptical about this is because it seems like another organization that is "using" a terrible situation and turning it into a "cause" not in order to necessarily liberate children and bring a criminal to justice, but into order to get rich off donations which never make it to the proper sources in africa......

and to spread propaganda as a justification for rooting international organizations into African nations not to necessarily "help" but to "manipulate" the govts to work in the favor of international interests, not African interests.

I've spoken with people who travel in those sort of nations, from what they say, very little aid makes it to where it needs to go simply because it gets tangled up in the corrupt govt system of the country, and the aid that does make it to the nation is not proportional to the huge amount these organizations pull in.....so where is the money really going?

A conspiracy theorist would be screaming "CIA front group" right about now.....but I'm not gonna push it that far.....

I will just say, I hope this group is legit and I hope they help these kids, it's the kids that matter.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

Joseph Kony (born 1961 in Odek, Uganda[1]) is a Ugandan guerrilla group leader, head of the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), a group engaged in a violent campaign to establish theocratic government based on the Ten Commandments throughout Uganda.[1] The LRA say that God has sent spirits to communicate this mission directly to Kony.[4]

Kony believes in the literal protection provided by a cross symbol and tells his child soldiers a cross on their chest drawn in oil would protect them from bullets.[7] Kony insists that he and the Lord's Resistance Army are fighting for the Ten Commandments, defending his actions: "Is it bad? It is not against human rights. And that commandment was not given by Joseph. It was not given by LRA. No, those commandments were given by God.

en.wikipedia.org...

The video said he was fighting for nothing but it seems hes a nutty Christian terrorist

If only he were Muslim, it'd be so much easier to gather public support. Can you imagine how many threads there would be on ATS if he was. His face would be plastered all over Fox news as well.
edit on 7-3-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

No one agreed with you because they know its true. If this guy was
a Muslim, it would 10000 troops there by now.

Also, since their aren't any resources there, it'll probably be ignored,
unless its going to be in the process of fulfilling political propaganda.

On another note, whats his son got to do with this? What does his
son need to know about, and why does he need to know ABOUT it?

He's not even ten yet, but I guess you have to appeal to your audiences
emotional side to suck them in (along with their money).

I swear that something was weird about the video last night. I watched about 20
minutes of it, then stopped. I'm SURE I didn't miss much in the 10 minutes
I didn't look at.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Mijamija

I agree with that, particularly your sentiment at the end.

I would add though that for once, even if a front for nefarious get rich activities, i would still support this if it meant the end of Kony.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Vandettas

If you'd have watched the last ten minutes, you would have seen exactly what his son has to do with it.
Children his age are taken from their parents and indoctrinated, taught to fight and hold guns. The kids what, 4? Maybe 5?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Free4Ever2

Its not being paranoid, its called being cautious.

Or at least suspicious.

Along with the KONY 2012 comments ALL over YouTube, (Which is quite annoying I might add)
There is also thousands of comments being buried that say this :

"Invisible Children has been condemned time and time again. As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public . Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services, with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. This is far from ideal, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they haven’t had their finances externally audited"

Not sure if theres any truth to this, I'll start doing some research on this. ME NO TAKE OPINION BLINDLY.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join