It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group posts billboards in religious neighborhoods saying God is ‘a myth’

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by el1jah
whats with atheists acting so religious these days?

OT: My Opinion on this? Ehh don't care if some blowhearts waste their money on a billboard saying whatever. I was thinking once I got enough money buying a board for myself in a high traffic area with a picture of nelson doing the "Ha Ha Ha" thing.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
since when did atheism become a religion?
why have they turned into their main theological opposition

i guess it shows they are not so truly sure of their believes.

seeing as i would die for mine...
edit on 5-3-2012 by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST

Huh? Atheists aren't sure of their beliefs?

How can one not be sure of a belief if one does not have a belief?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST

Huh? Atheists aren't sure of their beliefs?

How can one not be sure of a belief if one does not have a belief?

I know.

This gets really tiring - doesn't it.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

A wise man once said "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result". It was Einstein I believe....

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

A wise man once said "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result". It was Einstein I believe....

LOL

I should now insert my photo of my former father in law with Einstein.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST
since when did atheism become a religion?
why have they turned into their main theological opposition

i guess it shows they are not so truly sure of their believes.

seeing as i would die for mine...
edit on 5-3-2012 by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST because: (no reason given)

Why have a set of beliefs you would needlessly die for? It's statements like that that fuel the push for logic and reason. Drawing from your username, I know if I were in a war, I'd want someone fighting along side me that didn't believe in an afterlife, it'd make them fight all the harder to protect themselves and others, believing our time here is the only chance we get.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I would rather have seen the atheists spend that money on the poor instead.. fill the food banks..The billboards are a waste of money people will just look at them and shake there heads there not going to change my beliefs ..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
I would rather have seen the atheists spend that money on the poor instead.. fill the food banks..The billboards are a waste of money people will just look at them and shake there heads there not going to change my beliefs ..peace,sugarcookie1

On the flipside to that I would rather see all the millions of dollars that goes into religious advertising go to the poor rather than try to make people believe something they do not.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   

How self righteous and holier then thou of you.

As I previously said - - - some young person living in a very religious community - - - who doesn't believe - - - is just like a young gay person living in a fundamental religious environment. They need to know they have support from those on the outside.

Just knowing support is there - - - is worth the price of this billboard.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

On the flipside to that I would rather see all the millions of dollars that goes into religious advertising go to the poor rather than try to make people believe something they do not.

Yes - - I was reading an article earlier on how much churches collect for charity.

And how much actually goes to charity. Two different things.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   

We'd all like to see money spent better. For example.

King Of Kings Statue

This statue was made for a quarter of a million dollars. That sure could have bought a lot of meals for people.

Then it got struck by lightning and burned to the ground. And they are going to re build it. Religious organizations are notorious for wasting money, this is just a small example.

edit on 5-3-2012 by Morgenstern89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3

You missed the point entirely. And nobody is tell YOU to worship any God.
I did not.
Yes they do.
The 'Religious Fear Campaign' is everywhere.

Apparently, you're not happy with the "live and let live" approach. You expect everyone to believe the way YOU do, right?
What caused you to make this↑ giant leap?

......can't be proven......
......cannot be disproved......
......It's really a waste of time to debate it.
Right, so why are you continuing to make such a big deal about a 3 word comment that I typed?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

How can you judge the whole by the few? we didn't get to choose how the money they make is spent, that's like judging the constitution based on the actions of our presidents.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
More and more I saw atheist becoming religious esque. There's even now a proper organisation where I live where they all meet up on a scheduled basis.

hmm...

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadowland8
More and more I saw atheist becoming religious esque. There's even now a proper organisation where I live where they all meet up on a scheduled basis.

hmm...

What? What organisation? All of them worldwide?

Methinks you are telling porky pies.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ldferguson91

Originally posted by ldferguson91

How can you judge the whole by the few?
I don't know who the hell you're talking about.

It was your decision to include yourself in some sort of category, as a "[color=4FF8A]we".
I had nothing to do with it.

Originally posted by ldferguson91

[color=4FF8A]we didn't get to choose how the money they make is spent....

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
What's interesting about atheists is the fact that a lot of them actually used to be religious because it was "forced upon" them as kids. These people remain the same, they just change beliefs. If a man was touting his faith as a religious catholic, he will tout atheism in the same fashion after he "converts" - he just changed clothes, what's inside remained the same.

Most people will always try to somehow fit in and adapt for the majority in order to be accepted, this is why most people call themselves Christians when in fact they hate it. This energy of hatred doesn't just go away once they become accepted among atheist groups, it simply changes focus.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by spav5

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by spav5

I guess even if a person was stupid enough to believe that atheism is a religion......

The atheists still have yet to burn witches, lynch african americans, or drag homosexuals behind vehicles.

Name calling makes you sound smart. I see you have no idea what you are talking about either.

Peace

Nope not name calling... these are facts, Religious people have been responsible for most atrocities in history, all done in the name of their god... Atheists are only guilty of being irritating wanna-be know-it-all's

Religious = borderline retarded
Atheist = Smart ass

None of us knows for certain if there is or isn't so maybe everyone should stop being so gung-ho about it and accept that you DO NOT KNOW

You can't do anything about it... accept it.
You won't find out until you die.
edit on 5-3-2012 by Raivan31 because: typos

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by rwfresh

See this is where I have most of my arguments, god is not flexible, there is a book that defines his actions and his beliefs which take any conforming of his personality out of question. If you do not believe in the bible god then you do not believe in god. You might believe in a 'higher spiritual being' but that is not god, god is a religious word and if you change the definition of god to be closer to your beliefs than you have missed the point.

God is not flexible? Says who? This is your belief. If you want to complain about a specific person's interpretation go for it. But painting a broad stroke of ignorance over the word "God" is a very ironic expression of ignorance. And this billboard is about "God". Not Catholicism, not Christianity. Are Atheists afraid to make a real statement or incapable of it? I would say their own beliefs are fantasy. They don't directly acknowledge which interpretation they are opposed to because they know the one they are opposed to is so juvenile it is not acceptable by your average ignorant religious fool. It's a strawman. Without substance.

Actually, the religions of today are pretty recent in human development, there were plenty of so-called gods before this one and there will probably be more.

Plenty of God's? I thought there was only one.. the Judeo-Christian one. Are you acknowledging the word God wasn't made up by Jesus? Again.. it would serve you well to read some books associated with these religions you claim are ignorant of Reality. The Bible, Koran, Bhagavadgītā etc. Check them out.

The reason that religion and gods were created was to explain unexplainable events of the past, like day turning to night, the seasons, meteorites, weather...etc.

Yes good work. What else might they explain? You see this is where your own ignorance shines through. You assume that the people living 1000's of years ago couldn't and didn't contemplate the absolute deepest mysteries of the physical and quantum universe. This is what incommensurability is. Science and math are nomenclatures. Symbolic languages used to describe and communicate ideas. You are stuck in a very narrow bag of symbols. You believe the symbols are true rather than what they might be communicating/explaining/describing.

Today we know what is happening when day turns to night and we have explanations for the rest, and what is still not 100% known in science will be one day be.

What is an explanation? How is it communicated? If you explain something to me and i dismiss the language you use as ignorant and stupid then what is it you actually KNOW? Science is a language. A very immature one. In that it hasn't gotten over it's ego just yet and probably never will (without divine intervention). We see this in the juvenile confusion over the "observer" in quantum physics. I am not talking about popular science in magazines. I would suggest that if you aren't a REAL scientist exploring these mysteries on an experiential level you are just a dumb parishioner sitting in the pews listening to the "science" priest.

As a man that studies heavy physics I agree there are things that we have a hard time measuring...for now. To think in our future there will be things that we cannot measure is showing no 'faith' in humanity. One day we will have answers, we will follow evidence and theories and conclude the best answers we can at the time. Yes, they will change but that's the beauty of it.

To think all those thing that are incommensurable will remain that way is wrong, thoughts or feelings that are personal and literally indescribable sure, but the physical world will be explained in due time...

Pred...
edit on 4-3-2012 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

Go and read some more on incommesurability. As it pertains to nomenclature and the nature of expressing the truth. The secrets of the universe have LONG been pondered and have on an experiential level been understood. That is the key to knowledge. If you do not experience the truth of something you are simply believing something. There is absolutely no argument that there are ignorant people out there believing things that are not true.

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye"

"God is a fairytale" - how about "Your beliefs about the God of Christianity are a fairy tale".. That might be useful. To both atheists AND Christians.

edit on 5-3-2012 by rwfresh because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join