It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group posts billboards in religious neighborhoods saying God is ‘a myth’

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

reply to post by Annee

"Christians" are losing their power/control in America - - - and are kicking - - whining - - and screaming all the way - - no matter who they step on.

That right there is unadulterated propaganda parroting. You are so far off-base you can't even see the scoreboard.

Why? Because I don't agree with you?

As I've stated - - I grew up as Christian. Actually considered myself Christian most of my life.

Let me know when you've lived as Atheist - - - and can be objective from both points of view.

edit on 4-3-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

Sorry, but I've had too many experiences with the other side to live as an atheist. Nice try, though.

I don't even know what that means.

Exactly.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by KwisatzHaderach
reply to post by predator0187

Thank you sir you are they only other real atheist I have seen in this thread. The term atheist has been hijacked and belittled, by those who do not know what atheism truly is. It is a term to describe one who has studied religious texts from around the world, and come to the rational conclusion that they are all incorrect, thus one chooses to not believe, and accept that they do not know the answer. We true atheist do not force our opinion on others; nor care what others think, we just want to be left alone in the subject.

Unfortunately, there are laws passed all the time that are based on religious doctrine. There are taxes that you pay to keep the churches tax exempt. There are politicians trying to out-God each other to get elected. It's all around you whether you choose to ignore it or not. I think the 'activist' type atheists are just tired of mythology being used to manipulate people, events, and law. The separation of church and state never occurred. The church wouldn't have it, despite the original intention of the constitution.

It's amazing to me how many Christians scream blue murder every time someone mentions Sharia law, but would be just fine if biblical laws prevailed in the land. Neither have any merit. Bronze age mythology should not affect my life in any way, but it does. Every day. It's ludicrous to allow people to change the world based on their misinterpretation of mythological stories.

You just need to watch any of the so-called Christian TV channels. They spend more time spilling bile about right wing politics than they do any real Christian teaching. They want into politics, let them pay taxes.
Mythology has as much right to comment on politics as a fish does to comment on the Dewey-Decimal system.

Just because you believe, with your entire being, that something is right doesn't mean that it is.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
This is ridiculous. Okay, we get it, you don't think God is real. That's all fine and dandy, I have nothing against it. But, don't just post some huge billboard telling me I'm full of crap or the deity I worship is a myth. It's just rude and uncalled for.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Badgered1

What biblical laws? You mean the Ten Commandments? Oh the horrors.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

"Christians" are losing their power/control in America - - - and are kicking - - whining - - and screaming all the way - - no matter who they step on.

That right there is unadulterated propaganda parroting. You are so far off-base you can't even see the scoreboard.

Why? Because I don't agree with you?

As I've stated - - I grew up as Christian. Actually considered myself Christian most of my life.

Let me know when you've lived as Atheist - - - and can be objective from both points of view.

edit on 4-3-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

Sorry, but I've had too many experiences with the other side to live as an atheist. Nice try, though.

I don't even know what that means.

Exactly.

Nice explanation.

Are you talking about Spiritual experiences?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

What biblical laws? You mean the Ten Commandments? Oh the horrors.

Don't use sarcasm to avoid the issue. Just to point massive flaw in your first commandments: "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." Who the f!@#!@ says this imaginary being must be #1? Thousands gods in our history and this fella want enforce to be the #1? How about megalomaniac/narcissist god.

Do you remember slavery? Same sex marriage?
edit on 4/3/12 by blackcube because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by rosar098
This is ridiculous. Okay, we get it, you don't think God is real. That's all fine and dandy, I have nothing against it. But, don't just post some huge billboard telling me I'm full of crap or the deity I worship is a myth. It's just rude and uncalled for.

Conversely, I don't need billboards and other large religious symbols telling me that a deity is real.

Both sides are wrong in putting up their respective crap.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
What I find most interesting - and disturbing - is that the same folks who brought you god and religion also brought you events like 9/11. Despite ALL evidence to the contrary, and as ridiculous as it sounds, some people believe the official story about 19 angry muslims.
Similarly, there is NO evidence to support the existence of a deity. Now as a devout Atheist, I still consider myself quite spiritual and exercise my free will and spirit quite often. The existence of a all powerful being would absolutely kill my spirit; thats what religion does - it makes you forgo your common sense and humanity, and forces you into an unnatural behaviour. Not to mention the wars, pain and suffering caused by religious wars.
Oh did I mention 9/11??? Sounds all too similar doesnt it.
Control through fear.
The next billboard to go up should clearly state '9/11 was an inside job'.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by el1jah
whats with atheists acting so religious these days?

Atheism is a religion...
kinda like science

Paradoxes are cool

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

The atheists still have yet to burn witches, lynch african americans, or drag homosexuals behind vehicles.
reply to post by Wertdagf

How do you know?? None of that is the teaching of, I guess I have to specify since this is ATS afterall, MOST religions. People do that kind of thing based on their own hatreds, never heard of "love the sinner hate the sin"?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by rosar098

The same way the mud slinging that's been directed towards atheists for ages has been rude and uncalled for? It's unfair to have your character called into question just because you don't worship whatever deity your community feels is the "right one", which is all too common.

I'm all for freedom of religion. The First Amendment protects your right to it. But, it doesn't force the other members of society to respect it. That respect has not been earned. And what we are seeing is the inevitable backlash from from those who have been spat upon by bible beaters. And speaking of that, it's quite a civilized backlash. Billboards and calm, rational discussions. I mean really. The religious can't exactly claim to have the same kind of reaction when something upsets them.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

I welcome political discussion and would quite enjoy having conversations with those type of men, but I will agree religion has no right in politics. We know what happens when religion controls the government.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I have an idea! How about we just make paid advertisements for religion illegal? I mean public displays, not like flyers and stuff for your church or views on religion. It would have to go through a lot and have to be VERY specific, but it would stop "insulting" the athiest and religious populace. any thoughts?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by Rockpuck

I am constantly astounded at the amount of effort those of religious persuasion go to to try to paint atheists as being just like them.

Well aint that ironic. I always find it astonishing when Atheist act just like Religious people.

Hypocritical bigots.

Get over your self.

You must have missed the part where I said I was not an atheist. One does not have to be an atheist to not believe in a God.

What are you so annoyed at anyway? I simply made the point that in a country where Freedom of Speech is glorified, these 'atheists' are just practising their right to it. Religion has been pushing their point across to other people for thousands of years now......yet when somebody finally comes along and does the same thing back to religion you get annoyed?

Talk about being a hypocrite.....mate you just personified it. Well done on that and thank you for completely proving my point.
edit on 4/3/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Big deal! Not like churches and religion in general don't advertise and cram a belief system down people's throats. If God is real then what the hell do they have to worry about anyway? Hurt feelings? Fear that it may convince others something other than what they want them to believe? If your beliefs are set then who cares what someone says, especially one who doesn't believe in what you believe in.

Why is this even a big deal, it's just an opinion and they have ever right to post it there.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

I agree but this would be a good start to diffusing the thing. and people don't, nay, CAN'T stuff religion down your throat unless theyre your parent or your elected official. Too bad we can still vote and not get our way lol

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Onboard2

Originally posted by spav5

Originally posted by el1jah
whats with atheists acting so religious these days?

I agree...anti-God is not atheism. Not against them putting up a billboard ...it is their right. But an anti-God religion helps nothing.

Peace

An Atheist is anti-theist and does not believe in a god or 'hand to hold' and will set out to argue the point by influence. A non-theist does not have an orthodox or theistic understanding of god, but can still have their own conceptual understanding of something more.

NO. Atheist is NOT an anti-theist.

Lack of belief is NOT "anti" anything. It is simply lack of belief.

Okay, my bad. It's lack of belief in a god or deity.

The term atheism originated from the Greek ἄθεος (atheos), meaning "without god", used as a pejorative term applied to those thought to reject the gods worshipped by the larger society. With the spread of freethought, skeptical inquiry, and subsequent increase in criticism of religion, application of the term narrowed in scope. The first individuals to identify themselves as "atheist" lived in the 18th century.[8] WIKI

Actually, I was going by what someone else told me. I'll look it up myself the next time.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldferguson91
I have an idea! How about we just make paid advertisements for religion illegal? I mean public displays, not like flyers and stuff for your church or views on religion. It would have to go through a lot and have to be VERY specific, but it would stop "insulting" the athiest and religious populace. any thoughts?

That would be infringing on free speech. I think, if a person is secure in their beliefs, it shouldn't matter.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ldferguson91

isnt it funny how these magic new messiahs of separate religions with no proof of ever existing... completly reverse the child murder and rape of thier fathers previous 2000 years.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Onboard2
Actually, I was going by what someone else told me. I'll look it up myself the next time.

No prob. It is kind of a fine line.

I think its only because I've had this discussion so many times - - I'm beginning to perfect it.

Current dictionaries have the correct definition of Atheist: lack of belief in a deity/god.

You should read some of the older definitions - - complete with opinions

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join