It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group posts billboards in religious neighborhoods saying God is ‘a myth’

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
When there is zero imperical evidence that proves God & Jesus & The bible are real, they fall into that Myth category. Right there with Santa, Easter Bunney, Tooth Fairey etc,etc,etc,etc. A brain washing of a thousand years will not be erased with a bill board.

Even when faced with mountains of evidence that it's a fairey tale, those who "beleive" will still beleive. And will come up with some real zingers to support their opinion. Zingers that one has to suspend reality in order to wrap you brain around it.

I'm an atheist, but I don't try to convert folks to my way of thinking. You got a big a brain as me. Use it. I would hate to think there is a God and he /she gave us this big ass brain then forbid us from useing it. Makes no sense.
edit on 5-3-2012 by openyourmind1262 because: Spelling or lack thereof

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SassyCat

Originally posted by SassyCat

What's interesting about atheists is the fact that a lot of them actually used to [color=C6CF50]be religious because it was "forced upon" them as kids.

[color=A1A1A1]Personally, I think that this would be a more accurate comment:

What's interesting about atheists is the fact that a lot of them actually used to [color=F5FF63]go to church because it was "forced upon" them as kids.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Hey non-believers, a question for you guys.

let's say you got the actual proof you wanted, that was completely irrefutable, that God actually existed.

would you become a Christian and worship him then?

If the answer is no, then what is the point of demanding proof?

It seems to me that no matter what, some people will simply not believe in God, such as the Israelites and Moses.

So if it doesn't matter, you really shouldn't demand proof since no amount of proff will satisfy you or help you become a Christian and save your soul.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I remember similar banners being put on the side of London city buses here in the UK. There was a bit of an uproar about it and then I never heard anymore about it. As dangerous as it sounds, I don't think anything major will come of this.

Here's a link

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Moses didn't believe in god? Have I missed something here?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

Moses didn't believe in god? Have I missed something here?

Mostly, the Israelites that Moses was leading. Despite that God gave Egypt seven plagues to give them freedom, despite that God led them through the desert as a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night, they still wanted to worship a golden cow.

But Moses was never allowed into the promised land because he disobeyed an order from God, showing that he did not trust God either.

Essentially he was told to speak to a rock to bring forth water, instead, he struck the rock twice with his staff.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Hey [color=FFD1A3]non-believers...

let's say you got the actual [color=FFD1A3]proof you wanted, that was completely irrefutable, that God actually existed.

If the answer is no, then what is the point of [color=FFD1A3]demanding proof?

So if it doesn't matter, you really shouldn't [color=FFD1A3]demand proof since no amount of proff will satisfy you or [color=FFD1A3]help you become a Christian and save your soul.
It seems that your delusions have confounded you to such a degree, that you actually think this↑ comment of yours is logical.

What causes you to think that non-believers are demanding for proof of that which does not exist?

Also, how many non-believers do you know, that are seeking help to become a christian?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
It's their right so it shouldn't be such a big fuss if they wanna pay big money to literally advertise their ignorance.

I know a large number of atheists that used to be Christians.

I know very few Christians that have ever been atheists, or even associate with atheists, so their view of atheism is very far from informed.

I don't think atheists are ignorant. It takes a lot of learning about "god" to make the conscious decision to become an atheist, given that it is against the current. Atheists have had a lot of opportunity to become informed from both sides, and I can assure you that the decision is not taken lightly, what with the threats of "eternal life in hell" and such.

Few Christians can imagine that an atheist can have morals, which happens to be a misconception. Few Christians can even allow themselves to consider atheism, for any number of reasons, but I can only guess fear of social rejection ranks high.

-rrr

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Hey [color=FFD1A3]non-believers...

let's say you got the actual [color=FFD1A3]proof you wanted, that was completely irrefutable, that God actually existed.

If the answer is no, then what is the point of [color=FFD1A3]demanding proof?

So if it doesn't matter, you really shouldn't [color=FFD1A3]demand proof since no amount of proff will satisfy you or [color=FFD1A3]help you become a Christian and save your soul.
It seems that your delusions have confounded you to such a degree, that you actually think this↑ comment of yours is logical.

What causes you to think that non-believers are demanding for proof of that which does not exist?

Also, how many non-believers do you know, that are seeking help to become a christian?

You could've been far more civil to me with those questions and I might have have actually tried to answer them for you. Pro tip: it's extremely rude to call someone delusional because they believe in something that you don't and demand that they change their beliefs to match yours just because. People do have a right to their beliefs, and don't have to justify them to you, or to anyone else, contrary to popular belief.

That's the biggest flaw in discussing politics and religion, people will see only what they want to see and make the mistake that since that is the only thing they see, then their truth must be the absolute truth and that everybody must be the same.

And when somebody else has a different point of view than them, all they do is take it personally, get upset, and yell and scream and berate and belittle the other person.

And nobody really wants to learn how to live with each other, they just want to yell and scream at each other and force people to conform to (their) one true way instead of live and let live.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

You could've been far more civil to me with those questions and I might have have actually tried to answer them for you.
lol. You came out firing. You were shooting blanks, but you were firing nonetheless. Don't dish it out, if you can't take it.

Pro tip: it's extremely rude to call someone delusional because they believe in something that you don't
Amateur tip: Regardless of how many paragraphs you type, avoiding the question is still avoiding the question.

and demand that they change their beliefs to match yours just because.
I am not demanding anything, which is exactly what I said to you in my previous reply.

....People do have a right to their beliefs, and don't have to justify them to you, or to anyone else, contrary to popular belief.

.....people will see only what they want to see and make the mistake that since that is the only thing they see, then their truth must be the absolute truth and that everybody must be the same.

And when somebody else has a different point of view than them, all they do is take it personally, get upset, and yell and scream and berate and belittle the other person.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Religious groups do this crap to people that have other religious ideas or non-religious ideas all the time. If they want to do that, then it's fair game for atheists to do it too.
edit on 5-3-2012 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

You could've been far more civil to me with those questions and I might have have actually tried to answer them for you.
lol. You came out firing. You were shooting blanks, but you were firing nonetheless. Don't dish it out, if you can't take it.

Pro tip: it's extremely rude to call someone delusional because they believe in something that you don't
Amateur tip: Regardless of how many paragraphs you type, avoiding the question is still avoiding the question.

and demand that they change their beliefs to match yours just because.
I am not demanding anything, which is exactly what I said to you in my previous reply.

....People do have a right to their beliefs, and don't have to justify them to you, or to anyone else, contrary to popular belief.

.....people will see only what they want to see and make the mistake that since that is the only thing they see, then their truth must be the absolute truth and that everybody must be the same.

Oh piss off. I wasn't firing off anything. You're the one avoiding questions. Your hostility towards me is quite telling. Now, shut up or I'll report you for harassing me.

Don't call people delusional just because you can't see what they see and just because they believe in something different than you.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SassyCat
What's interesting about atheists is the fact that a lot of them actually used to be religious because it was "forced upon" them as kids. These people remain the same, they just change beliefs. If a man was touting his faith as a religious catholic, he will tout atheism in the same fashion after he "converts" - he just changed clothes, what's inside remained the same.

Most people will always try to somehow fit in and adapt for the majority in order to be accepted, this is why most people call themselves Christians when in fact they hate it. This energy of hatred doesn't just go away once they become accepted among atheist groups, it simply changes focus.

Speaking from personal experience I would have to disagree with this.

I think that the "active" proportion of people, both atheists and Christians is just about the same.

The belief side has nothing to do with the "driven spokesperson" personality trait.

Likewise, most Christians don't necessarily like public speaking or preaching, just like most atheists or most of the population. But the few who do determine the public perception of the group.

And in a way they become role models to be followed (or ignored) the personal choice is up to the listener.

As an atheist and independent thinker, I personally think "active atheism" is rather silly, except when it comes to debunking unscientific matters being taught to children under the umbrella of science.

-rrr

edit on 5-3-2012 by rickyrrr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

One way or the other it matters little what we think.
Claiming there is a God is futile, because forensically... he's just a belief.
And denying his existence is also... a belief.
Being that we are on a tiny speck of dust in a remote corner of the Universe...
Like we are in a room and arguing if there is a world outside the room.
Like we are plants in a garden arguing if there are gardeners.
Like we are 2D "flatlanders" arguing if there is a 3D.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by paganini

Originally posted by jiggerj

Hell, I'm an atheist and I don't see what billboards are going to do. There will always be those that believe in fairies, demons, and a grand wizard with a magic wand. Any attempt at UNbrainwashing them is futile.

And that's just it. No one should attempt to guide anyone's beliefs and just mind their own damn business. There is plenty of easily accessible material for people to find regarding religion and atheism therefore the individual should be left to look for answers on their own.

The atheist trying to get people on their side is just as much of a pest as the Jehovah's witness banging on peoples doors.

If you can put a church on my doorstep I can put a billboard up on yours...

Your looking for something that isn't there... ANYONE has a right to free speech, no matter where it is... It's one of the only freedoms we have left so better get some use of it before they take that too...

It's doesn't matter who the message is to... I wished they would rent a pilot to drag a sign behind them, a bus to display the message across the side, cars with magnets on the door, or a blimp...

All things I have seen from churches...

BTW JW are so much fun to have conversations with... they deny history/facts too...

I'll leave that open to interpretation...
edit on 5-3-2012 by SmArTbEaTz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST
since when did atheism become a religion?
why have they turned into their main theological opposition

i guess it shows they are not so truly sure of their believes.

seeing as i would die for mine...
edit on 5-3-2012 by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST because: (no reason given)

Atheism is basing beliefs on information. Given that the God belief cannot be based on data, one cannot ever be sure by definition. (unrestricted negatives like "non existence" of an entity is impossible to prove)

But as you point out, religious belief can be strong enough for some people to overcome their fear of death. Notable examples are Buddhist monks that get doused in gasoline and set themselves on fire and suicide bombers.

Although this is tongue in cheek, I am pretty sure your statement of dying for your beliefs is "figurative" you don't *really* mean you would die for your beliefs like that... would you? that would be rather silly.

Dying to save a loved ones life, that would be more honorable and useful than dying for *nothing but* a belief.

-rrr
edit on 5-3-2012 by rickyrrr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
To this day there are still such things as "Christian Missionaries." People who attempt to convert indigenous tribes to christianity - thereby erasing thousands of years of culture and severing their connection to the Earth. Using a billboard is a little bit less offensive and intrusive. Nobody is paving down their churches like they would plow down a shaman's hut. These billboard won't create ghettos and poverty either, like exposing natives to christianity did. People who never heard of money now covet it. That sounds like an anti christian thing to do. "Mission" accomplished?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Fail to see any issue.

We have Billboards advertising just about everything under the sun.

Welcome to America.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
Hey non-believers, a question for you guys.

let's say you got the actual proof you wanted, that was completely irrefutable, that God actually existed.

A true Atheist is Agnostic. A true Atheist lacks belief in a god/deity. A true Atheist does not claim fact or proof that god does not exist. It simply is something that can not be proven by fact - - either way.

If Jesus appeared in the flesh - - I would certainly sit down and have a convo with him - - to see what he's all about.

Would I worship him? NO. Not unless he gave me and proved to me a very good reason that I needed to.

I actually believe we are a created world/race. Not by an omnipotent God - - - but by beings more evolved then ourselves.

If someone or someones came out of the sky or "appeared" - - - I would not think of them as God or Gods. I might consider the possibility that they are in fact our creators. OR just dropping by

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I think a person who puts up billboards or preaches for/against something should be more appropriately called an activist, not an atheist. Atheist is a similar word to 'n-word', a label given that was adopted.

I used to call myself an atheist, now I don't call myself anything. I used to argue with religious people, now I would rather not even talk about it for the most part, the whole question of god is irrelevant if you don't pay any attention to it. Devout Christians will go about their business with you not caring until you say something about being an atheist, then they somehow automatically believe that same person they were just dealing with is different now. The mere knowledge of someone being an atheist is enough to spark the fear of hell in Christians, some automatically think "this person going to hell" and treat them as an outcast not to be associated with.

Preaching, converting and advertising is for the religious. Any person calling themselves an atheist shouldn't be concerned with these things. Christianity wasn't intended to be the mess it is today, neither was atheism, everything believed gradually morphs toward the same "devout religious conviction" in the same manner because people attempt to manipulate and control public perception of a concept. If atheists play the same game religious people do, atheism is a concept doomed to become another religion for someone to profit off of.

Atheist activists and religious activists are basically creating the same thing, a grand, irrelevant question to argue and profit over. Honestly everyone should just completely disregard everything about religion or lack of and go about their lives, keep whatever you believe in your home or place of worship and out of everyone's faces. It's bad enough we can't take a # without having some product thrown in our faces. Though if we tell churches to take down their billboards, they'll scream religious persecution like someone is actually harming them.

For me its about freedom of thought, I think people have the right to make up their own mind without being bombarded by advertisement and persuasion from all different angles. So if you have to slap a label on it really I guess I would be an agnostic, not really an atheist, since I just don't care about god anymore. Could be true, could not be, who cares. Though I tend to think if "god" exists, he isn't the fairy tale story people think he is.

Someone earlier in the thread said it best, if you preach assertively either way you are a moron, because its a stupid question that no one can really know. That's why I brought up the quote "I exist, therefore I am" earlier that member Annie doesn't like for some reason. No one can really know either way so anyone that says they do is a lying fool, this tends to offend people hence keep your mental beliefs to yourself.

As opposed to the other way around, if people smoked marijuana publicly and practiced religion in secrecy the world would be a much better place. You could basically invert the openness of the two and fix half the worlds problems.
edit on 5-3-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join