It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Group posts billboards in religious neighborhoods saying God is ‘a myth’

page: 10
15
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
believing and knowing is NOT the same thing


Knowing? Knowing what?

None of us know anything for sure.




posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by xuenchen
 


Hell, I'm an atheist and I don't see what billboards are going to do. There will always be those that believe in fairies, demons, and a grand wizard with a magic wand. Any attempt at UNbrainwashing them is futile.



Its sort of like when Christians go to a forum for muslims and silently bait them.

Its baiting. Its wrong. You don't believe? Cool,,,,,,,,,,,but don't antagonize people for sh*tz and giggles
edit on 4-3-2012 by VBarbarino because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by Rockpuck
 


I am constantly astounded at the amount of effort those of religious persuasion go to to try to paint atheists as being just like them.


Well aint that ironic. I always find it astonishing when Atheist act just like Religious people.

Hypocritical bigots.

Get over your self.



posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Atheism appears to be a belief in nothing, a new religion I choose not to believe in.


Atheism is not a belief at all. It is a lack of belief.

However - - there are "Spiritual Atheists" who do believe there is more then what we physically see and experience.



posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by Rockpuck
 


I am constantly astounded at the amount of effort those of religious persuasion go to to try to paint atheists as being just like them.


Well aint that ironic. I always find it astonishing when Atheist act just like Religious people.

Hypocritical bigots.

Get over your self.


Explain hypocritical bigots.



posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee
 


Seriously? That dense?

OK..

Religious folks: Shove religion down peoples throats at every turn. If you don't believe in their God, you're going to hell.

Atheist folks: Shove their idea that there is no religion down peoples throats at every turn. If you don't believe that God is a myth they insult your intelligence and mock your beliefs.

Sounds like a @!% hypocrite to me.



posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   


Thank you. My comment about the amount of churches and religious related signs in a small area - - - is only about the comparison in number to a single Atheist billboard. Not believing in god (or having feelings of not believing in a god) - - - while living in a highly religious area - - - - is equivalent to being gay in a fundamental religious family. You need to know there is someone "out there" on your side - - someone who is offering their support. That is why placing an Atheist billboard in a very religious area is the correct placement.
reply to post by Annee
 


I totally understand where you are coming from.


Personally I only know of one couple who is a neighbor that are Atheists. I don't understand the concept.. because God is all I see. Its a perception. Doesn't mean I am right or you are wrong.

I too feel like I want someone on my side but I happen to think it is the people/energies who have passed before me and the one or the two that set me into motion as well...all the way down my ethereal tree.


So with that said, I can feel and understand your reasoning and I respect it.



posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ



Thank you. My comment about the amount of churches and religious related signs in a small area - - - is only about the comparison in number to a single Atheist billboard. Not believing in god (or having feelings of not believing in a god) - - - while living in a highly religious area - - - - is equivalent to being gay in a fundamental religious family. You need to know there is someone "out there" on your side - - someone who is offering their support. That is why placing an Atheist billboard in a very religious area is the correct placement.
reply to post by Annee
 


I totally understand where you are coming from.


Personally I only know of one couple who is a neighbor that are Atheists. I don't understand the concept.. because God is all I see. Its a perception. Doesn't mean I am right or you are wrong.

I too feel like I want someone on my side but I happen to think it is the people/energies who have passed before me and the one or the two that set me into motion as well...all the way down my ethereal tree.


So with that said, I can feel and understand your reasoning and I respect it.





Whats so hard to understand? It really is a simple concept. Many people want proof. Which I am sad to say not one person can provide.

For most of my almost 50 yrs I was a staunch athiest. That is until one noght I met God. Or maybe it was an Alien.

Whatever it was, it was proof enough for me.

I wont buy into that bible mumbo jumbo ever but, I now believe in a god and I do believe in jesus . Just not orginized religion.



posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee
 


That 11 year old has a twelfth grade reading level and 8th grade math level. She also plays the piano and guitar and spends 2 days a week volunteering at the local nursing home. She loves pandas, and gets me to take her to the zoo as often as possible just to watch them. She attends as many astronomy lessons at Tellus Museum as I can drive her to. Her goal is to become an interpreter for the government so she can travel. She participates in UNICEF as well as relay for life. She is a busy busy girl with a love of life and a love for Jesus. Believe me...there may be time for her to not believe, and there may come that time where something shakes her faith...but it won't be a billboard that makes it happen. Her very own question as I type this? "how can anyone claim to "KNOW" the entirety of the universe?" Her answer? "if they don't know the answers to all of the universe? how can they know the answer to God?"



posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
As a person who believes in God, I don't have a problem with this. If you pay for the billboard, put whatever you want on it. I see this as being no different than churches or religious organizations doing the same thing.

What I don't understand, is why certain sections of Atheism have become almost zealous in their approach. It's like it's becoming a new religion. I recently read an article about a gentleman in the U.K who plans on opening Atheist temples. It's like the irony is lost on some of these more "religious" atheists.

I generally try to approach my spirituality with respect for others. I don't preach to others or try to shove my beliefs down their throats, because I respect that everyone has a right to choose for themselves what they wish to believe. I just find it unfortunate that there are atheists out there who don't share this respect and become what they hate by seeking to preach their lack of spiritual beliefs to others. It really is quite strange, and the irony is completely lost on them. But it's entertaining


Not all atheists are like this however, and it would be unfair of me to pigeon hole them all within this type of behavior. I'm sure there are many atheists out there who would probably agree with my assessment.



posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
And I consider myself a Christian.


I always state: "there are those who truly walk in His footsteps". But they are few and far between. I can count those I've met that I feel fall into this category on one hand.


Not everybody wants to be a Christian, and Christianity is not for everybody. Those people should just be left alone, and let God sort it out in the end.


True. I was in school in the 50s - - in a white Christian neighborhood. There were Jewish kids in my class. I didn't even know until years later. At that time - in that place - - they could not speak up for themselves. They were forced to participate in all the Christmas celebrations and pageants.

It is not something I will ever forget. It is not a time I will forget when Christians dominated my neighborhood - - in all ways - - school - business - TV - etc. There was nothing else.

I remember when Atheists fought to have prayer removed from public school. I did not understand it at the time. I fully support it today. Not to be anti-religious - - - - but to create an environment where everyone is allowed there own belief or non-belief.

We are still progressing in this area - - - letting everyone be who they are.



posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nkinga
reply to post by Annee
 


That 11 year old has a twelfth grade reading level and 8th grade math level.


So? My now 18 year old grandson had a 12th grade reading level at age 5.

My 4 year old grandson was reading at age 3 - - - he taught himself to read from his computer programs.

My brother was reading the newspaper at age 4 - - - his favorite subject? Politics.

That is not something an 11 year old would naturally say on her own. He beliefs come from her environment.



posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by VBarbarino

For most of my almost 50 yrs I was a staunch athiest. That is until one noght I met God. Or maybe it was an Alien.

Whatever it was, it was proof enough for me.

I wont buy into that bible mumbo jumbo ever but, I now believe in a god and I do believe in jesus . Just not orginized religion.


Big deal. I've had OBE's - - premonitions - etc etc etc experiences since birth.

While I do accept that there is something beyond this physical world - - - I'm still an Atheist - - - and do not believe in the religious concept of an omnipotent god.

Off planet beings? Sure. Not gods.



posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
And I consider myself a Christian.


I always state: "there are those who truly walk in His footsteps". But they are few and far between. I can count those I've met that I feel fall into this category on one hand.


Not everybody wants to be a Christian, and Christianity is not for everybody. Those people should just be left alone, and let God sort it out in the end.


True. I was in school in the 50s - - in a white Christian neighborhood. There were Jewish kids in my class. I didn't even know until years later. At that time - in that place - - they could not speak up for themselves. They were forced to participate in all the Christmas celebrations and pageants.

It is not something I will ever forget. It is not a time I will forget when Christians dominated my neighborhood - - in all ways - - school - business - TV - etc. There was nothing else.

I remember when Atheists fought to have prayer removed from public school. I did not understand it at the time. I fully support it today. Not to be anti-religious - - - - but to create an environment where everyone is allowed there own belief or non-belief.

We are still progressing in this area - - - letting everyone be who they are.


Actually, they should be allowed to pray. Those that do not want to participate, well they can use those 2 minutes in their own way.



posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee
 


That is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. Obviously someone with intelligence is more than capable of making their own decisions. There are many many very intelligent people out there who have a belief in not only Christ, but any other religion of their choosing. To say that its something that a person can not come up with on their own purely based on their age is so superficial and ignorant, what is the difference between her and a 30 year old? Many people grow up in environments surrounded by religion..they do not all end up believing. My advice to you would be to not be so stereotypical, just because you believe an eleven year old cannot base a belief on herself due to your "surroundings" does not make it so. Unless your basing your "opinion" on your own circumstances? do your own children follow your belief purely on what you have taught them? or do they make up their own minds?

However, this is neither here not there. My main point of my original reply was that the billboards will do nothing and are simply waste of money, because those who have a true belief in any higher being will not be swayed by silly billboards. I find it interesting however that they mainly only target the Jewish and Christian God.



posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by VBarbarino

For most of my almost 50 yrs I was a staunch athiest. That is until one noght I met God. Or maybe it was an Alien.

Whatever it was, it was proof enough for me.

I wont buy into that bible mumbo jumbo ever but, I now believe in a god and I do believe in jesus . Just not orginized religion.


Big deal. I've had OBE's - - premonitions - etc etc etc experiences since birth.

While I do accept that there is something beyond this physical world - - - I'm still an Atheist - - - and do not believe in the religious concept of an omnipotent god.

Off planet beings? Sure. Not gods.


Ok, and you are entitled to your beliefs. SO AM I.. And I choose to believe in a god now because of my experience. .



posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Danbones
believing and knowing is NOT the same thing


None of us know anything for sure.


thats a load of crap, no matter how many times I hear this weak argument.

do you know how to tie your shoes? or toast bread?
THATS WHAT I THOUGHT.



posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
I don't understand the concept.. because God is all I see.



Almost every person on this planet is born/assimilated into one god belief or another.

From birth almost all of us are taught God. God the Creator. Etc etc etc.

Only when you completely remove yourself - - step out of that "God Circle" - - can you see it. Be completely objective.

People create energy. When you belong to a group or congregation you create/share that energy which does have a euphoric affect. Don't think I don't get it. I do.

If Atheists started organizing and coming together in groups - - they would experience the same thing. A euphoric feeling created by sharing their energy. To remain objective - - they can not do that.

I would never support an organized regular Atheist group meeting place. For that reason.



posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
believing and knowing is NOT the same thing


Believing leads to testing beliefs, you aren't going to test something that you already assume is wrong. You can not know something unless you test it first, the bible even says to test others to see whether they are legitimate. I believe that God is real but that those who dwell within Church buildings are ambivilant, and ambivilance can only come from believing only parts of the puzzle. Where there is no vision, the people perish, in other words, there aren't enough Christians who seek to understand what Jesus sought to teach. I say that I "know" that Jesus is real because I've had prayers answered and have seen miracles, I've seen angels, I've been tested by God to see if my actions held up to my self acclaimed faith, and they didn't. God knows that many people will believe in his existance, but not many people will actually know him. Just like there is a difference betweeen me believing in the existance of dolphins, but to actually communicate with and agree with one on matters of life would be a different level of understanding entirely.



posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Danbones
believing and knowing is NOT the same thing


None of us know anything for sure.


thats a load of crap, no matter how many times I hear this weak argument.

do you know how to tie your shoes? or toast bread?
THATS WHAT I THOUGHT.


Oh please tell me what you KNOW.

As if - - this discussion is about mundane repetitive physical actions.

What is physical? Is physical a solid thing? Is physical a projected program?

How do you bend a spoon? There is no spoon.



new topics

top topics



 
15
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

log in

join