It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group posts billboards in religious neighborhoods saying God is ‘a myth’

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by spav5

Originally posted by el1jah
whats with atheists acting so religious these days?

I agree...anti-God is not atheism. Not against them putting up a billboard ...it is their right. But an anti-God religion helps nothing.

Peace

An Atheist is anti-theist and does not believe in a god or 'hand to hold' and will set out to argue the point by influence. A non-theist does not have an orthodox or theistic understanding of god, but can still have their own conceptual understanding of something more.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I believe in a greater power or as they say "God". I will never change my belief and put my full faith in man or any individual church. My church is the woods, I feel at home in nature. I believe there is one main god, from there it gets cloudy. Seems to me people are always arguing over details. Pick it apart and look at the pieces and forget to look at the whole picture. It's great being able to experience life. Think about it as you look at the stars drinking a budweiser.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

What I always find odd and amusing is what a waste of time this is on their part. They could be using their time to so many more needed pursuits, because the reality is....we "Christians" those who fully and unconditionally believe in Jesus, and follow him and his teachings in the New Testament, DON'T CARE. They can put up as many billboards as they wish, but just as a "Christian" billboard would not sway an atheist, likewise, an Atheist's billboard will not sway us Christians, my daughter is 11, her comment upon passing one in Atlanta Ga yesterday was "I feel sorry for them mama, they think they have all the answers, it must be very lonely for them not to know Jesus, he's the greatest and I love him."

Now before all the bashing of her father and I "brainwashing" her begins, please know that her faith and belief has absolutely nothing to do with us. She had a dream, and has believed in him ever since.

So, in my opinion, if they want to waste their dollars on billboards, hey...more power and money to them, I prefer to turn my attention to much more worthwhile things. Their billboards in no way hinder my belief, so, have fun

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
Prove them wrong.

When did you stop beating your wife and molesting your kids? Hard to prove a negative, isn't it?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I wonder how many of these they've placed in Dearborn, Michigan?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

That's totally uncalled for there are better ways to make your point , we are Christians and are way above that.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
This is interesting. It seems as though they are trying to getf at people of a particular religion who are experiencing doubt/losing their faith. From what I'm given to understand, the US is predominantly Christian and most people of 'Christian descent', for want of a better phrase, still practice. Where I live, most people come from families that were Christian 50 or 60 years ago but my estimate is that probably less than 10% actually engage or have any sort of faith. I identify a few different types among the other 90% - those who completely turn their backs, so to speak, and denounce it, those who pay it lip service, i.e.will say they're Christian (or more commonly, protestant or catholic) but don't actually identify with and are more part of a culture than a religion - some would call themselves non practicing - and those who use it as an excuse for what i see as mindless tribalism. We have a particular problem related to football (soccer) with the clubs Rangers and Celtic, historically their supporters divided between protestant and catholic respectively, and a large percentage still carry this on to extreme ends, with most still identifying with one side or the other. Although generally identifying themselves as protestant or catholic on account of their teams, in my experience there is no actual religious basis for them saying they're Christians. As a lifelong Rangers supporter I see it first hand. Every cloud has its silver lining though, we don't seem to have much of a problem in terms of religious or racial tension between those 2 and other faith or race groups

Anyway, what I'm getting to here is that I can see why they would choose America to get a reaction from this billboard rather than, say, Scotland. I'm trying to imagine exactly what type of effect the billboards would cause here, and I think it would be more limited to (Muslim) Asian -descent communities, who tend to have more of a resistance to 'blasphemy', which is how this type of thing could be seen through some eyes. Would be interesting to hear other ATS users' perspectives on how this would go down in their communities

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
So what have the Athiests got to offer? After living a life in a world full of people without morals and full of deceit isn't it better to have hope of something better? What is the motive of a belief such as Atheism? Everything has a reason. I suppose they want more people to believe in their way and god is an obstacle.

Ya know - - these kind of ignorant posts are just annoying.

I come from a Christian upbringing. I spent 60 years in a God quest - - trying to believe - trying different beliefs - etc.

In the end I just accepted that I don't believe - never really did - and there are too many holes in the real history - - etc.

Atheism is NOT a belief. It is a lack of belief in a god/deity. That is all it is.

Each individual Atheist chooses how they interpret from the root "lack of belief in a god/deity". How they perceive anything beyond that is called Atheism philosophy. There is no doctrine.

No one needs an excuse from an outside source to be ethical.

Atheists do not live for a reward at the end - - - they live each day and make it count - - to contribute to humanity and its future.

I can say it has been very refreshing to actually live each day to its fullest as a contribution for future generations - - - and not for my own future or a reward.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Onboard2

Originally posted by spav5

Originally posted by el1jah
whats with atheists acting so religious these days?

I agree...anti-God is not atheism. Not against them putting up a billboard ...it is their right. But an anti-God religion helps nothing.

Peace

An Atheist is anti-theist and does not believe in a god or 'hand to hold' and will set out to argue the point by influence. A non-theist does not have an orthodox or theistic understanding of god, but can still have their own conceptual understanding of something more.

NO. Atheist is NOT an anti-theist.

Lack of belief is NOT "anti" anything. It is simply lack of belief.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Where are these atheists getting the money to buy billboards? Do they pass a collection plate at their meetings?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3

Prove them wrong.

When did you stop beating your wife and molesting your kids? Hard to prove a negative, isn't it?

You could not be any further from the truth. Ya see, I'm not married, and I have no kids. So umm yeah, that is more than enough proof for an acquittal.

Regardless of that however, you have it backwards. I am not telling others that they should worship wife beaters and/or child molesters.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nkinga
Atheist's billboard will not sway us Christians, my daughter is 11, her comment upon passing one in Atlanta Ga yesterday was "I feel sorry for them mama, they think they have all the answers, it must be very lonely for them not to know Jesus, he's the greatest and I love him."

Uh huh - - - out of the mouths of babes? Where would an 11 year old come up with a statement like that?

And - FYI - I am raising an 11 year old girl.

I was 65 when I finally accepted I did not believe - - and never really did - - even though I tried.

There's time to not believe.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Where are these atheists getting the money to buy billboards? Do they pass a collection plate at their meetings?

Here is their website. You can donate just like the rest of us.

www.atheists.org...

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by paganini
Riiiiiiiight its not intended to be offensive you just come out calling someones belief system a myth.

Why not just say you have a choice ?

Is this not what religious people do to those who do not believe as they do?

I can go outside right now and find plenty of billboards and signs that say, "Jesus Saves", "Walk with Jesus", and any number of religious sayings. So why is that not perceived as the religious calling out the belief system of those who disagree?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Azadok

It makes about as much sense as telling someone to prove that atheists are wrong. That's the whole point. The original poster's assertion is just as absurd. Get it?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azadok

That's totally uncalled for there are better ways to make your point , we are Christians and are way above that.

Than why are you not at your church telling them it is uncalled for to place billboards like these.....

Fact is, there is no shortage of religious billboards in the world. Look at the last one I linked.. it attacks anyone who believes in evolution. So that is ok, but expressing an opposite viewpoint in the same fashion is not?

Typical religion.... do as I say and not as I do.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

You could not be any further from the truth. Ya see, I'm not married, and I have no kids. So umm yeah, that is more than enough proof for an acquittal.

Regardless of that however, you have it backwards. I am not telling others that they should worship wife beaters and/or child molesters.

You missed the point entirely. And nobody is tell YOU to worship any God. It's pretty simple. They can worship their God, you can worship nothing. And, you don't have to throw it in their faces, nor them throw it in yours. Apparently, you're not happy with the "live and let live" approach. You expect everyone to believe the way YOU do, right?

As to the whole "prove" or "disprove" God, it's never going to happen either way. God can't be proven, because if he/she could be proven, it would eventually eliminate "faith", which is the fundamental of religion. God cannot be disproved because those with faith will simply say, "who created the Big Bang" or whatever. It's really a waste of time to debate it.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Those billboards are just as absurd, in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Here is their website. You can donate just like the rest of us.

www.atheists.org...

Why would you donate money to an organization that lacks any religious beliefs?

Isn't that contradictory?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s
reply to post by spav5

I don't deserve a response? Hah! I know which right wing blogger first coined the phrase "Religion of atheism." Do you? Do you know what his specific agenda was in creating that phrase?

I don't think you even know where your own stance is...and I am positive you have no clue of mine. This response is meaningless to this argument...and you don't see that..so yes..I stand by my statement..and will state also..that this response does not deserve a response from me but I will oblige anyway.

I only have to see the proselytizing by the current cult of "atheism" to see that they have become a religion. Atheism has no agenda...these people do.

Peace

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join