It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA discovers gigantic structures 25,000 light-years tall at center of milky way.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Those original photos in this thread with the pinkish bubbles of Gamma radiation remind me of something I have been studying a lot lately.

They remind me of a huge natural spherical Tokamak particle accelerator.

My humble suggestion is that we are like the ions whizzing around the equator of this giant natural stellar particle accelerator. As in Microcosm, so it is in Macrocosm....

I think an understanding of spherical Tokamaks would probably help one to visualise the workings of the galaxy.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Since a black hole doesnt let anything out, not even photons it is interesting to find anything coming from it at all, gives those scientists more angles to explain the universe

Explaining the big stuff helps us explain the small stuff and vice versa.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by seeker11
Gorgeous, I would love to live in one of those bubbles.

Assuming of course I could breathe, not be burnt or frozen to death.

seriously? what would you do there?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
This discovery is over a year old.. what the hell are you guys on about?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
No matter what others say OP I appreciate you showing the art and the possibilities that exist in the Universe. It is a beautiful sight none the less and I'm trying to keep up with all the new discoveries.

I saw this photo not too long ago and didn't realize it was an artist depiction myself until I read it again the next day. No big deal.

Thanks again for bringing light to the table!

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by hanyak69
reply to post by storm2012

So it is proof that science is taking theory as fact. I have a theory that we live in the 5th quadrant of the interstellar aliegnment. So it must be true. I have just as much evidence as they have of the artist rendition.
Hey, lets draw a picture then it must be real......

yes it is, we just believe everything the government spills out, and we think they are right all the time, I personally think they sometimes just fools us. What we learn and understand by ourselves as an individual is the right key for knowledge.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SpongeBeard

Beauty is ageless.

The representation of the structure evokes a certain emotional response, a feeling of insignificance, if you will.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

my point was that when you read the entire sentence it doesnt sound like they found giant man made structure. the part about ballooning ads context to it.
.. structure was a poor choice of words on NASA. go nasa

edit on 1-3-2012 by pianopraze because: clarification of quote

edit on Fri Mar 2 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by dannotz

Thats a beautiful "rendition".

There was some major scientist on Coast to Coast tonight (sry i forget his name but he's been summoned to speak on behalf of the space community in Washington ) anyway, he was talking about the decline of the space program and how we aren't creating paths we can go down. We aren't going back to the moon, we aren't heading for Mars..th only way American astronauts are getting into space is "hitching" a ride with the Russians! It's pretty sad in my opinion..the space program gives us so much hope. It shouldn't be minimized..he proposed raising the tax x2 for NASA funding..now that's something i wouldn't mind paying for in taxes.

That is if Nasa isn't just a smoke and mirrors show while secret military sects have far superior technology.

Don't be confused by the dog and pony show. You hit the nail on the head with your last sentence.

If you don't think we can get into space I've got a bridge to sell you

NASA was doing things in the 70s that aren't publicly know yet...

I'll give you a hint... and I'm surprised I just googled it and found nothing...

Side Scanning Radar. Very interesting tech... they can see through the forest and sand and see structures...

I did find side scanning sonar.... wonder why no mention of side scanning radar from our satellites? Surely that's not top secret still....

like I said... 70's tech...
edit on 2-3-2012 by pianopraze because: typo

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Looks an awful lot like the 3d electron orbit in an atom. More and more circumstantial evidence that nothing changes but the scale.

Another pic of the 3dz2 orbital.

"As above, so below". oft quoted because of it's simple truth.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Originally posted by Atzil321
Why is everyone going on about how beautiful the image is
? The pic is an artist's impression of what it may look like 'if gamma rays were visable to the human eye'.... These things are likely remnants of the last time our galactic core was active, which is interesting. But i fear most of you never read the text

Invisible to the naked eye doesn't mean it's invisible to an infrared satellite camera.

But you may be right.
I didn't see the small print saying 'animation'

The whole 'light years' just boggles my mind. We in essence, are time travelers. We're seeing something that already happened. Too much for my mind to comprehend.
Thanks for the correction and clarity

I am constantly surprised by people not reading the info in the OP.

Over half the negative comments I'm reading come from not reading or some sort of lack of understanding from what they read... I had assumed the average readership of ATS was higher than norm.

You hit the nail on the head, they can see this, and it is in the video exactly how they produced the image. It is a real image based on the spectrums the camera is seeing. Now yes and artist took this information and cleaned it up and made it pretty but they do "see" it and did photograph it.

NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
Image of Fermi all-sky map (with bubbles outlined) courtesy of NASA/GSFC/DOE/Fermi LAT/D.Finkbeiner et al.

If people look at that photo and the video in the op... they would understand that yes its an artists rendering of actual data accurately rendered...

Thank you for your posts as always my friend.

edit on 2-3-2012 by pianopraze because: added accredidation

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Galactus called and wants us to stop looking at his testicles. Please and thank you. (I couldn't resist, please don't think I'm trolling)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
That's just a burp coming out of the Black hole at the center of of the Milky Way.
Which is just normal after finishing a meal and also appropriate in some cultures.
edit on 2-3-2012 by googolplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

First of all, this story is a few years old. Secondly, they're not "Structures" as in buildings, they're simply gamma rays. Misleading.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightsideAssassin

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Looks an awful lot like the 3d electron orbit in an atom. More and more circumstantial evidence that nothing changes but the scale.

Another pic of the 3dz2 orbital.

"As above, so below". oft quoted because of it's simple truth.

the true meaning of that axiom doesn't really carry weight when applied to this situation. yeah it looks symetrical, i guess you could say as above so below for everything that's symmetrical.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
What a beautiful universe we live in. I am not religious but I scoff at the notion that this...whatever our reality is...was the result of random chance.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3n19m470

Interesting. So what accounts for the fact that the milky way appears slanted in the sky? Just curious because that was one of the things that made the alien galaxy theory make sense to me. Are all the planetary systems just all willy nilly with their angles? Help me understand. Please, with a cherry on top?

Like this?

Because the earth is not strait top to bottom and neither is our ecliptic, the earth has an axial tilt and the plane of our ecliptic is tilted by about 60o to the plane of the he Milky Way. The axial tilt is the reason we have summer and winter. And it changes periodically because we rotate like a wobbly top, it's called the procession of the equinox.

Here is even more info if your really interested: link.

The plane of the Earth’s orbit around the sun is called the ecliptic. The plane of the ecliptic projected onto the stellar sphere marks the sun’s annual path in front of the background stars. Although the sun appears to move eastward through the stars at about one degree per day, this apparent motion is really a reflection of the Earth orbiting the sun.

The ecliptic is an important reference and is often highlighted on sky charts. Because the planets of the solar system circle the sun on nearly the same plane that the Earth circles the sun, the planets are always found on or close to the ecliptic. The plane of the moon’s orbit around Earth is only somewhat askew to the plane of the ecliptic, so the moon is always found on or near the ecliptic, too. When the new moon aligns with the ecliptic, we have a total eclipse of the sun. When the full moon aligns with the ecliptic, we have a total lunar eclipse.

Where is the ecliptic in relation to the Milky Way?

The plane (or equator) of the Milky Way galaxy is tilted by about 60o to the plane of the ecliptic. Quite by coincidence, the ecliptic intersects the galactic equator on or near the June and December solstices. But does that mean the Earth literally crosses the plane of the Milky Way galaxy at these times? The answer is no!

edit on 2-3-2012 by pianopraze because: typo

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

The whole 'light years' just boggles my mind. We in essence, are time travelers. We're seeing something that already happened. Too much for my mind to comprehend.
Thanks for the correction and clarity

They guess the size of the milky way at 100,000 light years accross.

We have been sending out radio waves for a while now from our planet, but even at the speed of light its covered 0.1% accoss our galaxy since we started.

Human life may disapear before our first waves even reach somone who cares

edit on 2-3-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nikola014
Yes, this is really a beautiful view, but OP, why did you said " Go NASA"?
Do you know, what NASA represents in the world of ATS?

I'd never said that.
I'd said, "Down NASA"!

Yeah I know... NASA is part of the defense department, and people here hate NASA and the defense department, but so far as I can tell NASA is about the only USEFUL thing our government does....

... if you can overlook the NAZI infiltration via Operation Paperclip, pro-ported links to MK ULTRA, and more...

So yes its a mixed bag, but I will applaud the good work NASA does and decry the bad. Like any organization there will be good people and bad.

Also, as others pointed out, most of NASA is bogged down in the political quagmire; but every now and again there are some startlingly wonderful science still happening.

I wish would would take most of our defense budget spend on foreign wars of aggression and spend it here at home on building infrastructure and useful science like this myself.

I applaude this good.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Reminds me of the weird bulb of light that was seen in Hawaii.
blogs.discovermagazine.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join