It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA discovers gigantic structures 25,000 light-years tall at center of milky way.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Yes, this is really a beautiful view, but OP, why did you said " Go NASA"?
Do you know, what NASA represents in the world of ATS?

I'd never said that.
I'd said, "Down NASA"!

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
If you want to talk about the perspective of size...

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

Wow... it makes you wonder what else is out there. It's moments like this that make you realize science fact can be as great if not greater than science fiction.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

nature by numbers WOW
dont you just love fractals
mother nature repeating
herself everywhere

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

These violet colored bubbles are clearly stated as emanating from the milky way galaxy,so how is nasa able to obtain photos from outside the milkyway galaxy to show what we are looking at,when the furthest man made objects,voyager one and two have only recently just left our solar system? Its impossible for us to take photographs that show the entire milky way galaxy because thats the galaxy we are living within and our space probes have never been anywhere near outside of it to be able to turn around and take a photos of it.Am i missing something,or is this threads photo computer generated and not actual?
edit on 2-3-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
We can't see air, either, but that doesn't mean it is insignificant and lacks an intrinsic beauty of its own as depicted in art and literature and science. Much of what is presented to us about space objects is conveyed via artist renderings or computer simulations because we are so limited in what we can detect with the human eye.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
that's beautiful . I'm so excited, I can't wait until we finally get invited to "the federation" - I doubt I will see it.. BUT

here's my quesetion.

I don't know what to think of "project blue beam" because I'm not sold on the belief that the government has technology impressive enough to fake an alien attack.

However, I DO remember reading somewhere that the technology we see and / or can purchase is actually 10-20 years behind what the Powers that Be actually have.

When I see these pictures - as well as the other astounding "discoverments" coming out of Nasa "recently" I can't help but to think that this is "old news" to them.

None the less - thank you for posting .

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
25000 light years across... geez I suddenly feel absolutely miniscule and insignificant....

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

It's a "artists conception" meaning that it's made using CGI or some other medium. The article does not say that it's an actual picture of our galaxy.

Those "balloons" are also Gamma Rays, so no, you would not be able to see them with your eyes, since the frequency of gamma ray's is too high for us to see it. The article clearly states "what it would look like if we could see gamma rays."

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

S&F For sharing the information.
I just hate the artist rendering of
an image. Better than nothing
I suppose, But I would like to
see the real thing, not a sketch.

I understand It cant be seen with
the naked eye. But they should have
a way to display it, no? Just cant
help but wonder, we are being lied to
on every topic. just my two cents. again thx.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
whelp, now we know where the gamma ray burst is gonna come from that roasts us all

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
hello guys, need some opinions. Just read this interesting thread. In my thread, i talked about photon belt, here is a image.
is this what i think it is, same as what the user posted in his thread, can that be the photon belt. It says in his article,

Scientists have discovered gigantic structures 25,000 light-years tall ballooning above and below the Milky Way. Within each curved lobe, extremely energetic electrons of unknown origin interact with lower-energy light to generate the gamma rays that define these bubbles. The galactic-scale structures could be remnants from a burst of star formation or leftovers from an eruption by the supermassive black hole at our galaxy's center. Scientists aren't sure yet, but the more they learn about this amazing structure, which may be only a few million years old, the better we'll understand the Milky Way. While not immediately visible to NASA's Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope, these unexpected features were brought into sharp relief by a group of scientists who processed data from Fermi's all-sky map. The visualization below shows how artists imagine the lobes would appear if gamma rays were visible to the naked eye.

What if this is the photon belt, and we are about to enter it. Wow this is just so interesting.
edit on 2-3-2012 by storm2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Wow, thanks for posting.

That is just beautiful.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

is that tech. a structure?
#line 2

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
If we are in the Milky Way and the Satelite is in the milky Way then how do we get pictures from light years away fro the Milky Way???
I have always thought the pictures of our own galaxy were unusual cause we would need a giant mirror to take a picture of our own galaxy.HMMMMMMMM

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
As above, so below

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by hanyak69
If we are in the Milky Way and the Satelite is in the milky Way then how do we get pictures from light years away fro the Milky Way???
I have always thought the pictures of our own galaxy were unusual cause we would need a giant mirror to take a picture of our own galaxy.HMMMMMMMM

I agree, our galaxy is 100,000 light years wide, it would take about 100,000 or less years to go outside, and i know we didn't have that technology of doing so. We came up with thing giants telescope, probably I would say at least 100 or 50 years back, But I think this image is drawn out to an artist perspective.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by storm2012

So it is proof that science is taking theory as fact. I have a theory that we live in the 5th quadrant of the interstellar aliegnment. So it must be true. I have just as much evidence as they have of the artist rendition.
Hey, lets draw a picture then it must be real......

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Truly amazing. Now just imagine how truly beautiful this universe really is if we knew half of what NASA knew.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by hanyak69

I just think we know (or think we know) just enough to be stupid when it comes to space. All of these credible scientists if they say it then it must be.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join