It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You're On Food Stamps, You Should Lose Voting Privileges?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by andersensrm

reply to post by captaintyinknots

Prove me wrong.

Well, i am a teacher who was laid off because of budget cut, and needed assistance until I could get a new position.

oops, you were just proven wrong.

Now, Ill wait for you to back up your lies in any way...go on.....

Okay, but thats one person, out of how many millions of welfare? Hardly proof. And how long did you need to get a new position? I gather not any significant amount of time. You would have been just fine getting your food at a government store, and holding off your votes until you could get a job.

I know of plenty of teachers in the exact same position.

Can you provide any proof, at all, that most on welfare are lazy, drive spendy cars, etc? You made the claim, now prove it...

If the teachers who were all laid off, with no money now because of no job, if they had planned for something like this, and put money away, then they would be okay. But now because they didn't plan for that, they want other people to pay for it. That sounds lazy to me.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by andersensrm

You continue to make these statments, with zero backing. I had a savings above $10,000 when I got laid off. I stretched it as far as I could.

Many people simply do not make enough to save for hard times.

What of those who have had a life crisis which took away what they had?

Why do you continue to avoid your burden of proof on these claims?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ideasarebulletproof

That article is clearly satirical and absurd to make a valid point. It will only inflame those it's talking about anyway.

We all know that people on the Dole let others pay for their necessities so they can use their money to pay for things they don't need. We all know that politicians, for instance Obama, promise handouts to pander for votes and it works.

Problem is that it's now gone far enough that those who are paying for all this largess are growing tired of it. We don't mind helping people in genuine need, but don't want to help drunks, addicts and lowlifes who would not work if a job came up and hit them in the face.

Your title is transparently misleading.
I'm sure if you ask the author they don't mind helping those in real need. The article is about lowlifes who won't help themselves even if they could.
edit on 2/29/2012 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Prove me wrong.

Well, i am a teacher who was laid off because of budget cut, and needed assistance until I could get a new position.

Okay, but thats one person, out of how many millions of welfare? Hardly proof. And how long did you need to get a new position? I gather not any significant amount of time. You would have been just fine getting your food at a government store, and holding off your votes until you could get a job.

Can you provide any proof, at all, that most on welfare are lazy, drive spendy cars, etc? You made the claim, now prove it...

If the teachers who were all laid off, with no money now because of no job, if they had planned for something like this, and put money away, then they would be okay. But now because they didn't plan for that, they want other people to pay for it. That sounds lazy to me.

Do you have any idea how much teachers make?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Laokin

Don't rely on other people. Ride my bike to work. If I wanted to, I could afford to move to a 1 room apartment for myself, but I usually only go home to sleep, so it doesn't make sense for me right now. I don't rely on anyone except my self.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Unless you're voting at some PTA meeting, your votes don't matter. The veil is being lifted. The elections are there to give you the IMPRESSION you're involved. But you're not. It's all just an illusion. Life is an illusion.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Prove me wrong.

Oh yeah, it's totally lazy when you hit an unforeseen consequence.... Like getting divorced and having to split your savings and then not having a job and then getting a flat tire or a blown engine.

Totally lazy.

Come on, you're a chump.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

reply to post by Laokin

Don't rely on other people. Ride my bike to work. If I wanted to, I could afford to move to a 1 room apartment for myself, but I usually only go home to sleep, so it doesn't make sense for me right now. I don't rely on anyone except my self.

Thats a bit of a far cry from your claims of "sacrificing" all of these things.
Sounds like you have never known hardship...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

You continue to make these statments, with zero backing. I had a savings above $10,000 when I got laid off. I stretched it as far as I could.

Well then you would go on welfare, for however long you needed to. It won't be the end of the world, if for a few months, or possibly years, you would have to endure shopping at another store, and not being able to vote, I don't see how this is sooo horrible.

link   

reply to post by Laokin

Keep telling yourself that, because you rely on the people that employ you just the same.

The day you get a flat tire or your bike chain breaks on the way to work and you get fired for being late will be the day that you realize you are a co-dependent.

edit on 29-2-2012 by Laokin because: (no reason given)

link   
I think if people shift their thinking from a welfare system to that of the situation in africa we can gain a better perpective. It's a terrible situation for someone to be poor, but at some point these people need to help themselves. If you disagree sell your computer right now and feed a child for a year, anything less is hypocritical.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Well then you would go on welfare, for however long you needed to. It won't be the end of the world, if for a few months, or possibly years, you would have to endure shopping at another store, and not being able to vote, I don't see how this is sooo horrible.

Its so horrible because it is taking away my constitutional right for no apparent reason other than some snobby fools think its a good idea.

Why do you still avoid, and divert, from your burden of proof?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by drgood
I think if people shift their thinking from a welfare system to that of the situation in africa we can gain a better perpective. It's a terrible situation for someone to be poor, but at some point these people need to help themselves. If you disagree sell your computer right now and feed a child for a year, anything less is hypocritical.

Nah, it's really not. If I sold my computer and fed a child for a year I'd starve since I make money with my computer.

I.E.

You can't call hypocrisy on a person for adhering to the only survival tactic in their society. There is no logic in that.

As well, I will agree that the situation in Africa is completely terrible -- however, how do you propose they help themselves when the problems are being created by outside influence on purpose?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Laokin

You have to be prepared. Simple as that. We can't build a civilization where people rely on things other than themselves to get by. Not to say that some people NEED these things due to an assortment of reasons. But as of NOW, the system is being abused. This needs to stop. I think what was proposed in the OP is a step forward in doing that.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Laokin

Then I will just walk to work, May be late ONE day, don't think I will get fired for that, then will have to wake up earliar to walk the distance.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

reply to post by Laokin

You have to be prepared. Simple as that. We can't build a civilization where people rely on things other than themselves to get by. Not to say that some people NEED these things due to an assortment of reasons. But as of NOW, the system is being abused. This needs to stop. I think what was proposed in the OP is a step forward in doing that.

So, lets say, tomorrow, you get fired. You are hit with a tax penalty that eats most of your savings. You have no job, and no money.

Who do you rely on?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
George Carlin. Voting.

Bill Hicks - Puppet People

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Its so horrible because it is taking away my constitutional right for no apparent reason other than some snobby fools think its a good idea.

Nevermind the proof, your getting stuck on the little picture as opposed to the big one. People expect the government to take care of them. This mentality needs to change.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Because he's a silly kid who rides a bike to work and has no idea how the world functions.

The right to vote is granted unconditionally to anybody who is not a convict. The only way to lose your basic innate unalienable rights it to infringe upon another's unalienable rights with conviction.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Just for your information: Receiving food stamps =/= Not working.

When you apply for food stamps they take into account how much money you make, then calculate how much assistance you will get.

Some people seem to think if someones on food stamps their just getting hundreds of dollars every month, this is not true on most cases.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join