It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You're On Food Stamps, You Should Lose Voting Privileges?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

More here, a lot less there. Out of context, I want more government. Out of context I want less government. Do you see the difference between all three?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ideasarebulletproof

It breaks my heart everyday that America (the country I served for 6 years in the Air Force) has become such a breeding ground for hate, hate for other Americans. As Americans we need to help take care of other Americas. Are there people who cheat the system? Yes, but they are few and far between. Politicians and the media have sensationalized negative stereotypes.

Well maybe if a living wage were paid to workers instead of a minimum wage then there would be less need for so many people (some whom I know and are good people) to need help. Also why would you force someone to eat lower quality food b/c they are on food-stamps? One of American's health problems is that poor people (and there are many) who do not receive adequate nutrition then have resulting health problems.

Humans are not made to hate and hurt one another. Until we understand that are country (planet) will never progress, only fail.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by andersensrm

More here, a lot less there. Out of context, I want more government. Out of context I want less government. Do you see the difference between all three?

All I see is a young person who hasnt quite fully thought out his position...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

reply to post by Laokin

So you make it more expensive to do business outside the U.S. Most are payed above what minimum wage should be, so it wouldn't affect a large number of businesses.

How do you propose they control the wages of business outside of the U.S.?

This is unintelligible, I'm not even sure what you are saying with this statement....

You do realize there is almost no industry left in America? Most of our jobs are desk jobs with paper pushing, right?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Does it really matter? our political system is rigged.As for the article how asinine can you get? At least the fascists among us are now revealing themselves.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
People with food stamps are low?

Frack anyone who thinks food stamp recipents are low...

You obviously never fell on hard times...

Must be nice!!!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Who cares anyway, the election is rigged and what really do we have to look forward to? Romney or Obama - same crap, different party.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
i don't think they should loose any rights, but in order to apply for them or for welfare they should be given drug tests to prove that they are not on any drugs an will not be on drugs because if you ask me its BS that they can mooch off the government and be able to do things like crack and herion

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laokin

reply to post by Laokin

So you make it more expensive to do business outside the U.S. Most are payed above what minimum wage should be, so it wouldn't affect a large number of businesses.

How do you propose they control the wages of business outside of the U.S.?

This is unintelligible, I'm not even sure what you are saying with this statement....

You do realize there is almost no industry left in America? Most of our jobs are desk jobs with paper pushing, right?

Tariffs and quotas? There are ways.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by caf1550
i don't think they should loose any rights, but in order to apply for them or for welfare they should be given drug tests to prove that they are not on any drugs an will not be on drugs because if you ask me its BS that they can mooch off the government and be able to do things like crack and herion

While I somewhat agree, you realize Crack and Heroine are highly addictive?

If you just cold turkey heroine you die. So where do you draw the line between a junkie who will die if he stops and needs help?

Compassion my friend, people who use hard drugs are usually those on the receiving end of hate and anti-compassion.

Love is the ultimate cure. Punishment will only breed resentment.

Also, what about those that smoke pot on nobodies dime? Do you feel like that is equally as detrimental to society as crack coc aine?

Especially when it's home grown for a wopping price tag of Free.99?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

I would never accept assistance. I've been laid off in this recession, and I refused to even accept unemployment benefits.

I will never rely on the State.

I will never accept a hand out.

I will never demand services from my fellow citizens without working for it.

I tightened my household budget, supplemented my food with what I grow myself, and discovered other ways of making money to survive.

I guess that's the difference between people like me, and those who take for free without hesitation.

Crap, I generally keep my mouth shut when things like this come about, because I know most people have made up their minds and just will not listen to the others side. Rational adult conversation goes out the window.

But for the first time this really pi$$es me off. SO WHAT!!!! Get down off your high horse!

I have been homeless, jobless, penniless, and hungry!

And I too haver never asked for a freaking dime from anyone for help!! I paid my way through school without one red cent of help from anyone, no food stamps, NOTHING!

But you know what? SO WHAT! I still give money to any homeless person who asks, I still volunteer, I believe it is a social responsibility to help those in need, it is not for me to judge anyone's circumstances.

I consider myself extremely lucky! Considering my homeless stent occurred in my teens...it could have gone a completely different route for me, had I not met this one individual, who had such a positive influence in my life, that I was able to keep a level head. If for some reason, had I not met this one person.....out of millions, I would probably be dead now.

I repeat, I WAS LUCKY! You should consider yourself lucky as well, and not be so judgmental, unless you know every event in every person's life.....and that I highly doubt!

I just hope and pray that I could possibly help someone who is down on their luck find their inner strength!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Wow are you serious? How could you possibly say that anyone who is on food stamps must be a lowlife... you sir are a disgusting excuse for a human being. In fact most "poor" people are the best people I know, they actually have hearts that still beat in their chests, they dont care if a person isnt well off or not wearing the freshest clothes.. Some people are just disgusting, I honestly cannot see how someone can make that claim and still feel like they deserve a spot on this planet..

Human beings are by far the most vile species to ever inhabit this planet... They care for nothing, they care not for nature, they couldnt care less about themselves and most importantly they couldnt care less about their fellow man...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Fair enough. I'm not perfect, I welcome the criticism. I do think though, that there has to be more regulation in the welfare department. People who qualify, should be legitimate, and there should be investigation to make sure this is true. Thats what I want. Let them keep their votes. I do think that the money given to people should only be spent on necessities, and there should be enforcement of this.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Question:What if said person has fallen on hard times and has no choice for the family but to get food stamps?
What if said person wants to vote for the candidate that is more than likely to get them off stamps and back into the work force, would you still want to strip them of the privilege to vote?

Now for the moochers that sit at home and do nothing but spit out baby's. Well that is a horse of a different color

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

I was on foodstamps for a while.

Thanks. All I needed to know.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Fair enough. I'm not perfect, I welcome the criticism. I do think though, that there has to be more regulation in the welfare department. People who qualify, should be legitimate, and there should be investigation to make sure this is true. Thats what I want. Let them keep their votes. I do think that the money given to people should only be spent on necessities, and there should be enforcement of this.

Right, but you realize it costs more money to conduct a fair investigation to every single welfare applicant than it would cost in money handed out to said applicants?

Or do you propose social workers work for free? There are also millions of applicants, so there would then be a huge back log of people who aren't given funds until it's too late.

This would actually incredibly worsen the problem you are trying to solve.
edit on 29-2-2012 by Laokin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Wetpaint72

So when there are more people taking then people producing what are we going to do? It isn't the governments job to look after you. (not mine either)

Things are quickly escalating into a battle of those who produce and those who don't.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laokin

Right, but you realize it costs more money to conduct a fair investigation to every single welfare applicant than it would cost in money handed out to said applicants?

Or do you propose social workers work for free? There are also millions of applicants, so there would then be a huge back log of people who aren't given funds until it's too late.

This would actually incredibly worsen the problem you are trying to solve.
edit on 29-2-2012 by Laokin because: (no reason given)

You could do it statistically, without going through each case, you won't find all, but you will find most. I don't have all the answers, I'm just proposing the idea. Just because I can't explain how it would work, doesn't mean it wouldn't. Our society needs a paradigm shift, and its not going to happen if nothing changes.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Hmm, sounds like Alan Greenspan.

Fascism in action.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
reply to post by Wetpaint72

So when there are more people taking then people producing what are we going to do? It isn't the governments job to look after you. (not mine either)

Things are quickly escalating into a battle of those who produce and those who don't.

No it's not. It's escalating into a battle of those who are not producing fighting for the chance to produce.

Since the amount of jobs has decreased the amount of people who need work increase. Hence an inflation in the unemployment bubble.

This leads to more people needing entitlements, not more people scamming the system.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join