It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you believe in the Truth?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
We should all understand also that the word truth, the concept and term,,, is describing what is actual.... what exists,... math is the process of labeling and defining all the parts of what is and how it is existing,, because everything that exists is part of the formula of the all,, and it is blatantly apparent there are laws, rules, and patterns of the universe,,,,

but yea, humans use of the idea of true, is an equal representation of what is,, to comprehend in ones mind accurately what is outside of ones mind.

the truth is an endless description of what is,,, a play by play of what is happening,,,, what could be happening, what can happen is also the truth,,,, without our labels and tools we are very simple creatures sharing this floating planet,,, in our minds we can think of an infinite number of things or our whole lives with only thinking of eat when hungry drink when thirsty, with out labels and tools we become an infinite number of things, a microcosm of the universe, learning to mirror itself to discover what may be true, in order to implement this discovery, and discover more,, we were given our base nature,, and it was up to us what we would do with it,,,, there is an endless direction of up,,, and a multitude of plateaus in which we may reside,,, right now we are what we are,,, but what we are, just as it was not always what we are, will not always be what we are,, for better or for worse is for us to decide,, can there be a best, can we become satisfied?
edit on 28-2-2012 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by rwfresh

Originally posted by somerandomuser

I think you will find that the universe is structured in such a manner as to prevent experimental knowledge of what exactly it is. At the quantum level, after a certain resolution, particles are to big to image reality any further. At a cosmic level, we could never reach the edge of the universe.

So, we are encapsulated within this structure.

That may suggest that it is either unimportant, or vital that we do not know, at this stage.

It also suggests that our context is not the best/adequate. But i would posit that individuals have successfully moved themselves into a context that allowed for understanding and expression of the Truth.

I think they can only move themselves to a position of conjecture. We are restricted to thinking of the universe in terms of what we already know. There is nothing to suggest that such limitations apply outside our universe, thus our knowledge of what reality is, or even what we are, could be very wrong.

Every proof is conjecture unless we experience the truth ourselves. Otherwise it is belief. So if someone claims to know or be the Truth we would have to conduct the experiment ourselves to understand the proof. Otherwise we are just making assumptions about what is real.

I posted with OP because i think most people don't even have a hypothesis of Truth and so never attempt to prove it. But some people have had the hypothesis, have attempted and some claim to have proven it. But just because we don't understand the proof doesn't mean it ain't True.

Interesting. Have you considered the implications of a universe which is an illusion? What does that say about objective truth?

If encapsulation is complete, as in our universe, then objective truth is beyond us.

That would seem to suggest that truth is something we cannot know, nor does it bear any resemblance to what we currently know.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blarneystoner
reply to post by rwfresh

Mathematics is a language but it is universal. The symbolism may be different but "one + two = three" can be easily translated because the meaning is the same regardless of how it is represented.

Communicative language like english can't be easily translated unless there is some cultural similarities.

Of course there are a few exceptions; the substance, water would be a good example of something that may be universally translated easily. However, words like love and hate may not be so easily translated as those emotions may not exist in an alien life form.

The fact is that numbers don't change. Representations of numbers change but one is one everywhere you go in the universe. All other "truths" are biased based upon perspective.
edit on 28-2-2012 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

Saying math is universal is a good example of a belief. You cannot prove what you are stating because it is literally unprovable without an agreed context and a load of assumptions. Math cannot prove itself. Just like an eye cannot see itself. But saying it is universal is understandable and easily accepted because the only people that would be making the assumption and believing it are humans.

Yes, to most people, math is a universal language.. except for those that don't understand it.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The meaning of "truth" has long been the subject of debate. Perhaps the most famous discussion of the meaning, occurred roughly 2000 years ago, a "conversation " between Pontius Pilate and Jesus:

"Pilate then went back inside the palace, summoned Jesus and asked him, "Are you the king of the Jews?"

"Is that your own idea," Jesus asked, "or did others talk to you about me?"

"Am I a Jew?" Pilate replied. "It was your people and your chief priests who handed you over to me. What is it you have done?"

Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."

"You are a king, then!" said Pilate. Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."

"What is truth?" Pilate asked. With this he went out again to the Jews and said, "I find no basis for a charge against him. "" (John 18:33-38)

Jesus never answered Pilates question, most probably because He knew that Pilate was not serious about wanting an explanation of what truth is.In today's world, we see the same dismissive attitude towards the meaning of truth. Politicians on opposite sides each claim to hold the "truth", climatologists on opposite sides of the AWG each claim to hold the truth. However, truth is, in reality one of the most evasive concepts to grasp.
My belief is that truth is in the eye of the beholder, and that the concept of a firm definition of "truth", falls through a sieve, as quickly as water. Many religions claim to each hold the "one and only truth". However, disproving each religion's definition is probably doable, but proving that one and only one is the correct one, is in my opinion, impossible.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

Many things have been proven false after yes, but are true under the parameters given. The parameters associated with the human condition are too vague to ever have a conclusive answer.

Is the sky blue? Yes. In our perceived spectrum of light.
Is the sky another color in another spectrum of light? Yes.

Am I a good person? Ambiguous parameters.
Is there a God? Undefined and impossible parameters to get an answer.

Truth can only be found by our level of understanding, our level of understanding is built on science.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I think you will find that the universe is structured in such a manner as to prevent experimental knowledge of what exactly it is. At the quantum level, after a certain resolution, particles are to big to image reality any further. At a cosmic level, we could never reach the edge of the universe.

That may suggest that it is either unimportant, or vital that we do not know, at this stage.

It also suggests that our context is not the best/adequate. But i would posit that individuals have successfully moved themselves into a context that allowed for understanding and expression of the Truth.

I think they can only move themselves to a position of conjecture. We are restricted to thinking of the universe in terms of what we already know. There is nothing to suggest that such limitations apply outside our universe, thus our knowledge of what reality is, or even what we are, could be very wrong.

Every proof is conjecture unless we experience the truth ourselves. Otherwise it is belief. So if someone claims to know or be the Truth we would have to conduct the experiment ourselves to understand the proof. Otherwise we are just making assumptions about what is real.

I posted with OP because i think most people don't even have a hypothesis of Truth and so never attempt to prove it. But some people have had the hypothesis, have attempted and some claim to have proven it. But just because we don't understand the proof doesn't mean it ain't True.

Interesting. Have you considered the implications of a universe which is an illusion? What does that say about objective truth?

If encapsulation is complete, as in our universe, then objective truth is beyond us.

That would seem to suggest that truth is something we cannot know, nor does it bear any resemblance to what we currently know.

Of course it totally depends on who "you" are. Are you an illusion? Or are you the Truth?

I would suggest that yes, the universe can be likened to an illusion. And that "you" are part of that illusion.

And yes, Truth is absolutely not accessible to an illusion. But in Reality, the only thing that exists is Truth. And i would suggest that you, not the illusion, is Truth and nothing else.

This is a very basic concept long communicated by many nomenclatures in history.

As you know the hypothesis of Objective Truth has LONG been proposed and pondered. And as you may or may not know people have been testing this hypothesis for 1000's of years. The experiment is laid out in excruciating detail.

Peace!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by rwfresh

Many things have been proven false after yes, but are true under the parameters given. The parameters associated with the human condition are too vague to ever have a conclusive answer.

Is the sky blue? Yes. In our perceived spectrum of light.
Is the sky another color in another spectrum of light? Yes.

Am I a good person? Ambiguous parameters.
Is there a God? Undefined and impossible parameters to get an answer.

Truth can only be found by our level of understanding, our level of understanding is built on science.

Have you conducted the experiment? Truth is the only thing provable. But if you don't conduct the experiment you can never experience it. I mean.. first step would be acknowledging the hypothesis of Truth.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Of course it totally depends on who "you" are. Are you an illusion? Or are you the Truth?

I would suggest that yes, the universe can be likened to an illusion. And that "you" are part of that illusion.

And yes, Truth is absolutely not accessible to an illusion. But in Reality, the only thing that exists is Truth. And i would suggest that you, not the illusion, is Truth and nothing else.

This is a very basic concept long communicated by many nomenclatures in history.

As you know the hypothesis of Objective Truth has LONG been proposed and pondered. And as you may or may not know people have been testing this hypothesis for 1000's of years. The experiment is laid out in excruciating detail.

Peace!

You seem to be suggesting, as "you" are the only truth, that the only real thing of importance in this universe is your personal development.

The rest is just a distraction to help you cope.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

Que est veritas?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
The Truth does permit the option whether to believe it or not, once the individual acknowledges recognition of the Truth. There is no off switch. There is no longer any place to hide nor run to.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
You asked, "what say you?" And I say this: The problem with the seeking of truth (and yes, I believe there is one, and only one, not defined by post modernistic existentialistic, depends on what you are experiencing, although taking that into account in the seeking of it) is what we use to define it. Our experience of "reality" is primarily defined through our five senses, both defined and limited by our physical bodies. And of these senses, Sight, or empirical evidence, is what we put the most "faith" in. I put faith in quotes, because faith has another interesting perspective in what you have outlined here. Faith, at least as defined in the Bible, is a suspension of belief, a suspension, really, of facts and empirical evidence and sociological and political perspective ( in other words, others' opinions) to what you "know" (feel) to be the truth, without anything to prove it.
But that is a whole other topic.
Yes, there is truth. However, we live in times where we must be savvy as to how we define it, and understanding of the complexity of technology that can both make us see whatever it is wished we see, but inculcate us to believe in what we are surrounded by and bombarded by on a daily basis, in order to inform and construct our opinion of what "truth" is....

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
as far as i'm concerned

the Truth is Love

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

Metaphoric language is a clouding tool. It is both a need and a hindrance.

Can you give us some of your suppositions on finding truth?
edit on 28-2-2012 by Philodemus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

I'm curious what people here think about the idea of there being an ultimate Truth. The ultimate Truth being the living explanation and source of everything. Not some scientific or mathematical proof. But the very thing that is at the heart of any and all hypothesis.

As i browse the forums here there are many seekers of truth and many believers that there is no objective Truth. That there are many paths and as many "truths" as there are people. Maybe i am incorrectly assuming.. but seems to me that most here are after the Truth.

If there are many "truths" rather than one ultimate underlying Truth, what characteristics might the various subjective truths have in common?

The title reads "believe" because unless you know the Truth you are demonstrating some level of belief or ignorance to the Truth that makes up this existence.

What say you! Is there an ultimate Truth? I say absolutely and undeniably yes. That anything outside of the Truth is delusion and ignorance.. for lack of better/potentially kinder words.

edit on 28-2-2012 by rwfresh because: (no reason given)

The ultimate truth is that their are but you half truths in this way all paradoxes can be resolved

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

You want the truth, YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH now that I got that off my chest i will give you a truth not many know and fewer believe.

First off this is not our first time hear on earth, all of humanity lived here with God in the first earth age. Satan turned against God along with 1/3 of all of what we call humanity although we were in spiritual bodies.

We are hear today being born of the water because the other 2/3 of us opted to go through this form of life with no memory of the previous life to save the 1/3 that followed Satan . Satan has already been sentenced to death by being thrown into the lake of fire. We can not know why God did not just destroy Satan but what we do know is that God made Satan the most perfect Cherub, or covering angel that sat next to him watching over Gods mercy seat.

So hear we all are today in the last days of this earth age getting ready to see the final showdown between Satan and who he got to follow him in this earth age and the children of light who follow he true teachings of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ .

Satan was the tree of knowledge and he seduced Eve in the garden and eve got Adam to join in in the little sex capade . This resulted in paternal twins , Cain was Satan s child and Abel was Adams . This is why Cain was never listed in Adams genealogy and had his own. Anyway Satans offspring through Cain survive to this day and prepare the way for Satans return .

They are very successful and push for the NWO and one world religion . They control Politics , Financial , religion and Education in today's society All these wars in the middle east were designed to get ready for his return and that is just about done . Soon very soon he will walk the earth agin looking to devour souls. THIS IS THE TRUTH
edit on 28-2-2012 by Azadok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Peace!

You seem to be suggesting, as "you" are the only truth, that the only real thing of importance in this universe is your personal development.

What i am suggesting is the only thing that is real is Truth. The statement is obvious in it's meaning but infinitely difficult to accept. It's difficult to accept because no one can claim to know the Truth and yet it's the only thing that exists.

I am suggesting that "seeking" or personal development is delusion. Assuming the ultimate goal of seeking or personal development is to experience the Truth, it would stand to reason that ego is completely incapable of ever achieving that goal. So the entire process of seeking or discovering Truth is delusional. Unless we realize the only thing that can experience Truth and Reality is Truth.

truth/tro͞oTH/
Noun:

The quality or state of being true: "the truth of her accusation".
That which is true or in accordance with fact or reality: "tell me the truth".

re·al, real/ˈrē(ə)l/, /rāˈäl/
Adjective:
Actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed:

re·al·i·ty/rēˈalətē/
Noun:

The world or the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them: "he refuses to face reality".

So what is the universe? Even science is starting to come around the idea that the "Universe" doesn't actually exist.

Who am I? "I" in the most common use of the word, is as unreal as the "Universe" i claim to exist in. hahaha

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by tkwasny
The Truth does permit the option whether to believe it or not, once the individual acknowledges recognition of the Truth. There is no off switch. There is no longer any place to hide nor run to.

And that is the Truth. There is nowhere to exist except in Reality. Once you realize you aren't in it you have admit that "you" are an illusion. Or continue to hide in delusion like me

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by tetra50
You asked, "what say you?" And I say this: The problem with the seeking of truth (and yes, I believe there is one, and only one, not defined by post modernistic existentialistic, depends on what you are experiencing, although taking that into account in the seeking of it) is what we use to define it. Our experience of "reality" is primarily defined through our five senses, both defined and limited by our physical bodies. And of these senses, Sight, or empirical evidence, is what we put the most "faith" in. I put faith in quotes, because faith has another interesting perspective in what you have outlined here. Faith, at least as defined in the Bible, is a suspension of belief, a suspension, really, of facts and empirical evidence and sociological and political perspective ( in other words, others' opinions) to what you "know" (feel) to be the truth, without anything to prove it.
But that is a whole other topic.
Yes, there is truth. However, we live in times where we must be savvy as to how we define it, and understanding of the complexity of technology that can both make us see whatever it is wished we see, but inculcate us to believe in what we are surrounded by and bombarded by on a daily basis, in order to inform and construct our opinion of what "truth" is....

I think you are on to something. On that note.. I have faith that the only thing of value is Truth because everything else outside of Truth is in fact not true.. fake.. not real. So it really does not deserve any attention.

If we read a 1000 books of lies, watch a million tv shows full of deception and read a million delusional webpages we are no closer to the Truth. No further away.. but definitely no closer to it.

I like the word faith. I am not afraid of it. It's a great word. Totally misunderstood. Faith is knowing in action. I agree with you that it is definitely not belief. Belief is belief and faith is something else.

It is not possible to know anything but Truth. To know anything but Truth is delusion. So faith would be knowing (the Truth) in action. Since it is not possible to prove the Truth, only experience it or rather be it.. we would need a word for that kind of event. Faith.. good word.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Peace!

What i am suggesting is the only thing that is real is Truth. The statement is obvious in it's meaning but infinitely difficult to accept. It's difficult to accept because no one can claim to know the Truth and yet it's the only thing that exists.

I am suggesting that "seeking" or personal development is delusion. Assuming the ultimate goal of seeking or personal development is to experience the Truth, it would stand to reason that ego is completely incapable of ever achieving that goal. So the entire process of seeking or discovering Truth is delusional. Unless we realize the only thing that can experience Truth and Reality is Truth.

truth/tro͞oTH/
Noun:

The quality or state of being true: "the truth of her accusation".
That which is true or in accordance with fact or reality: "tell me the truth".

re·al, real/ˈrē(ə)l/, /rāˈäl/
Adjective:
Actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed:

re·al·i·ty/rēˈalətē/
Noun:

The world or the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them: "he refuses to face reality".

So what is the universe? Even science is starting to come around the idea that the "Universe" doesn't actually exist.

Who am I? "I" in the most common use of the word, is as unreal as the "Universe" i claim to exist in. hahaha

You are contradicting yourself. You said:

And i would suggest that you, not the illusion, is Truth and nothing else.

then you said:

Unless we realize the only thing that can experience Truth and Reality is Truth.

So, which is it?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
There is definitely an ultimate Truth, and I believe it's an extension from the simple Truth that we are all One. That the "Prime Creator" did not create an existence outside of itself and separate from itself, because that is impossible, but in fact that the existence of reality itself is embedded IN the creator and therefore we ARE god. It is impossible to do otherwise because that which is Not God is still God because Not God cannot exist without God. This applies to good and evil, too. One does not exist without the other; Yin and Yang. This is just the result of the Truth, not the Truth itself.

We are sections of god, Souls, experiencing our-self subjectively in an environment where we don't remember what we truly are so we can achieve some sort of arbitrary perspective. And consciousness is the very link and stream to our Souls, and by implication to the Source Creator, since our Souls are extensions of Source. If you think about it, consciousness can create anything. Ideas, physical objects, emotions, experiences, just like a "god" would. Collective consciousness can transform the universe. The Truth must have something to do with Love, because Love is the most joyful, purest emotion we can feel. It would make sense that "joy" is the goal of our Souls, as opposed to the temptation of the "devil", because pure joy IS heaven! Pure joy cannot be achieved by harming others, however, because that is not an act of Love. Therefore this is not an excuse to do whatever you want at the cost of others.

The opposite of Love would be Fear (not hate or evil, as these emotions are the result of Fear. Fear of death, Fear of not knowing the Truth I suppose [that we are One, and what happens to you, happens to ME, because I AM YOU experiencing reality from a different perspective.]). So the ultimate Truth would be to exist as pure love, as opposed to pure hate, the polar opposite. Therefore the Truth is probably just the implication of real unity and love realized. Total peace and tranquility.

Heaven doesn't exist, because reality exists IN heaven (pure energy at its most primitive form is the essence of the Creator and is positive, Love, because Love feels good and Fear feels bad and an all-powerful God would not create a sandbox of reality in an energy sea of Fear. Therefore, Hell also doesn't exist. These are the results of the personification of God, forcing the concept of human traits onto the Creator of human traits was humanity's biggest mistake. The real Creator knows pure, unconditional Love, and OUR will is ITS will, because we ARE IT. Therefore, the ultimate goal of life is to be the best at what you decide your purpose is. And if you are aligned with All That Is (existence itself; god) then your ultimate goal would be to be pure Love (or joy).

People who aren't aiming for this goal are still as holy and as righteous as those who are aiming for this goal, except that they are living in self-inflicted torment, their own Hell as it were. We invented Hell and the only time we go to that place is when we forget what we really are. That is Hell. There is no good, and there is no bad, there is only perspective. "Right" and "Wrong" are the implications of your perspective in life. What is Right to me, could be Wrong to you, and by who's authority are our opinions judged? The Creator's, and since the Creator gave us free will to discover ourselves in the most exciting way, he created both the "Right" option and the "Wrong" option and therefore one is no better than the other. God loves us unconditionally because WE ARE HIM. Both polar opposites. This is to say, Hitler went to heaven, because there was nowhere else for him to go. I know this is controversial and it's difficult to understand for most people but that's why not everyone is a spiritual master, because we have never known unconditional love. Even our image of God only Loves conditionally. If We disobey her, We are punished for eternity in "Hell". What kind of Free Will is that?

The ultimate "Truth", I believe, is the extension and realization of this fact, that we are all One. What that means, you have as much an idea as I do. Do some research on Neale Donald Walsch if you haven't already. He writes about this stuff very well, but every true spiritual master right down to Jesus said these things and this was their core belief. It had nothing to do with Bibles or even mankind whatsoever. Those were manipulations by man because those who Feared their own free will didn't want to be held responsible for their own destiny so they developed this idea of a vengeful, aggressive God who is by all rights just a big scary Human rather than the SOURCE OF ALL THAT IS, WAS and EVER WILL BE. Believe this idea or not, I don't care that's your prerogative, but don't deny that it resonates with you on some deep level. It sounds more like the Truth, or in the direction of the Truth, than anything else we've pulled out of our asses over the past 2,000 years!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join