It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you believe in the Truth?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I'm curious what people here think about the idea of there being an ultimate Truth. The ultimate Truth being the living explanation and source of everything. Not some scientific or mathematical proof. But the very thing that is at the heart of any and all hypothesis.

As i browse the forums here there are many seekers of truth and many believers that there is no objective Truth. That there are many paths and as many "truths" as there are people. Maybe i am incorrectly assuming.. but seems to me that most here are after the Truth.

If there are many "truths" rather than one ultimate underlying Truth, what characteristics might the various subjective truths have in common?

The title reads "believe" because unless you know the Truth you are demonstrating some level of belief or ignorance to the Truth that makes up this existence.

What say you! Is there an ultimate Truth? I say absolutely and undeniably yes. That anything outside of the Truth is delusion and ignorance.. for lack of better/potentially kinder words.

edit on 28-2-2012 by rwfresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
The science and mathmatics you seem so eager to dismiss are actually our only way of knowing the real truth in the grand scheme of things. If you mean truth on a smaller scale like day to day news or historical events ect then the truth of things is harder to decipher. I fear your response is to tell me jesus is truth.....?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by rwfresh

The title reads "believe" because unless you know the Truth you are demonstrating some level of belief or ignorance to the Truth that makes up this existence.

The title reads "believe in" as this denotes a blind faith on your part that some ultimate underlying truth may exist but that you are about as close or as far from having any idea what that may be as anyone else walking the Earth.

There are any number of truths about the way our physical universe operates and we are a long way from discovering them all. We have, however, made quite a bit of headway harnessing and utilizing some of these principals to make life today something completely unimaginable 150 years ago.

I am not sure that understanding an ultimate truth would open up every other door and bring peace, health, and happiness to all of Earth's occupants. Perhaps the day will come for us to know "everything". But until then I could only guess, you're not ready for The Truth.

edit on 28-2-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
no one has a monopoly on truth

2nd

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I'm curious what people here think about the idea of their being an ultimate Truth. The ultimate Truth being the living explanation and source of everything. Not some scientific or mathematical proof. But the very thing that is at the heart of any and all hypothesis.

As i browse the forums here there are many seekers of truth and many believers that there is no objective Truth. That there are many paths and as many "truths" as there are people. Maybe i am incorrectly assuming.. but seems to me that most here are after the Truth.

If there are many "truths" rather than one ultimate underlying Truth, what characteristics might the various subjective truths have in common?

What say you! Is there an ultimate Truth? I say absolutely and undeniably yes. That anything outside of the Truth is delusion and ignorance.. for lack of better/potentially kinder words.

The only ultimate truth is Jesus, if one studies the Bible as it tells us to one will find it is not a filled with philosophy of people who were trying to control others.

As the Bible say wide is the path but narrow is the gate, so is truth many can say they are telling the truth yet only a few truly are.

Belief and faith are interchangeable so as when many things are stated by others as we believe they are actually telling you upon faith as with everything in the evolutionary sciences.

Yes there is an ultimate truth but it is not from man that you will hear or gain it, only the Holy Spirit can show you the ultimate truth.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
The science and mathmatics you seem so eager to dismiss are actually our only way of knowing the real truth in the grand scheme of things. If you mean truth on a smaller scale like day to day news or historical events ect then the truth of things is harder to decipher. I fear your response is to tell me jesus is truth.....?

I'm not dismissing anything. Not at all. I'm making a statement to define what it is i am attempting to talk about. Which in the context of science might be the "unifying theory" etc. which does not exist or rather no one has put it together. Let down your defenses and perhaps re-read the OP. I'm genuinely asking what people BELIEVE.

If you believe you don't have an opinion on the subject right on. That would be your answer!

As for Jesus.. he claimed to be the Truth. Not me.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro

The title reads "believe in" as this denotes a blind faith on your part that some ultimate underlying truth may exist but that you are about as close or as far from having any idea what that may be as anyone else walking the Earth.

There are any number of truths about the way our physical universe operates and we are a long way from discovering them all. We have, however, made quite a bit of headway harnessing and utilizing some of these principals to make life today something completely unimaginable 150 years ago.

I am not sure that understanding an ultimate truth would open up every other door and bring peace, health, and happiness to all of Earth's occupants. Perhaps the day will come for us to know "everything". But until then I could only guess, you're not ready for The Truth.

edit on 28-2-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

I'm sorry is the word "believe" confusing to you? It's an actual word and i understand it's meaning well. That's why i used it.

"There are any number of truths about the way our physical universe operates and we are a long way from discovering them all. We have, however, made quite a bit of headway harnessing and utilizing some of these principals to make life today something completely unimaginable 150 years ago."

Yes you are correct. Science hasn't figured everything out. But even scientists are free to make hypothesis about a "unifying theory" or ultimate truth. So without the defensiveness.. do you believe in an ultimate Truth? Not asking if you KNOW the ultimate Truth. And I'm not claiming i KNOW the Truth either. Sorry if you read that somewhere in the OP.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire

2nd

By nature Truth would have a monopoly on itself.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

"Yes there is an ultimate truth but it is not from man that you will hear or gain it, only the Holy Spirit can show you the ultimate truth. "

Thanks for your response! Since we aren't born with conscious understanding of the Truth you are right in stating the belief or faith in the Truth is the only honest relationship one can have with it.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire

2nd

Oh I'm sure there is much truth being held hostage by many groups on this planet. The United States and the Vatican are two of the biggest offenders in my opinion.

There was a reason all throughout history libraries and documents were burned. Whatever was in those records went against the grain and society so was dealt with swiftly and mercilessly. I only hope one day information like this will be released for the betterment of mankind as secrets rarely tend to be for the benefit of anyone, maybe a few who deemed themselves better than other human beings. Which I find funny as they have less humanity in them holding information back than the people they keep it from.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Science is the closest mankind will ever get to truth.

ex:

I drop an apple an it hits the ground. I can posit that if I drop an apple it will hit the ground. And I would be right.

Any "truth" relating to a social construct is opinion only.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Dear boncho,

You're correct that

if you're referring to only the physical world.

Consider your experiment of dropping an apple. It may not hit the ground, I might reach out and grab it.
Science can't account for monkey business like that. Maybe a psychologist might give you a clue about whether I was likely to do it, but a physicist would be of no help at all.

I believe that there is a world outside the physical world and that is where we will find the Truth.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I think you will find that the universe is structured in such a manner as to prevent experimental knowledge of what exactly it is. At the quantum level, after a certain resolution, particles are to big to image reality any further. At a cosmic level, we could never reach the edge of the universe.

So, we are encapsulated within this structure.

That may suggest that it is either unimportant, or vital that we do not know, at this stage.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I once heard a fable about a king who petitioned all the wise men of the land to come up with an undeniable truth that holds true for all times and forever.

Upon discussion the wise men returned this message of truth to the king:

"And this too shall pass away."

I contemplated this supposed truth within my heart and decided that if it is the truth that all things pass away then even the truth that all things pass away will eventually pass away and is therefor not of truth.

All truth is fact but not all fact is truth for whereas "facts" may change, "truth" remains the same today, yesterday, and tomorrow from always and forever for all peoples in all times.

In my own personal search for truth I have found this one thing to be, that the Word of God endures forever.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
All of existence, as a unified whole...all time, all space, all energy, all dimensions........everything imaginable and unimaginable...is...The truth.
However, knowing what The truth is isn't a very useful thing anyway. It just happens to Be.
edit on 28-2-2012 by doug r because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

ex:

I drop an apple an it hits the ground. I can posit that if I drop an apple it will hit the ground. And I would be right.

Any "truth" relating to a social construct is opinion only.

Those who seek scientific truth do not exist outside of the social construct.

The truth they find can be implemented many different ways, and these ways of implementation effect, alter and create social constructs. I would also say they search for the truth, in order to implement it.

your belief that scientists exist in a vacuum and can do no wrong on their quest for truth because it is truth, has created many hardships on the social construct, to my subjective mind.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

If someone is altering or affecting the outcome of the scientific method, than it is fraud. Either there is a result or there isn't. Legitimate Science gives answers of yes and no. It gives truth to certain questions with very specific parameters.

Within those parameters, the answer is always yes or no. Or a mathematical equation that always ends in the same result.

So, that would be a "truth". This and this = this.

Anything else is just human BS thrown into the mix. Nothing wrong with that either, but the "truths" that we deal in socially, are just truths for a purpose.

If that human behavior taints actual science, than the scientific method was not followed, and it is pseudoscience.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

I'm sorry is the word "believe" confusing to you? It's an actual word and i understand it's meaning well. That's why i used it.

So without the defensiveness.. do you believe in an ultimate Truth?

In case you are unaware there is a vast and important difference in the concepts of "believe" and "believe in".

Do I believe in an ultimate Truth? No.

Do I believe there may be an ultimate Truth? I wouldn't entirely dismiss the possibility.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by somerandomuser
I think you will find that the universe is structured in such a manner as to prevent experimental knowledge of what exactly it is. At the quantum level, after a certain resolution, particles are to big to image reality any further. At a cosmic level, we could never reach the edge of the universe.

So, we are encapsulated within this structure.

That may suggest that it is either unimportant, or vital that we do not know, at this stage.

It also suggests that our context is not the best/adequate. But i would posit that individuals have successfully moved themselves into a context that allowed for understanding and expression of the Truth.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro

So without the defensiveness.. do you believe in an ultimate Truth?

In case you are unaware there is a vast and important difference in the concepts of "believe" and "believe in".

Do I believe in an ultimate Truth? No.

Do I believe there may be an ultimate Truth? I wouldn't entirely dismiss the possibility.

Sorry, i don't see the difference. Except for the obvious change in the words used in the question, the meaning itself seems to be the same for me. But thanks for the clarification on your own beliefs!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join