It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

P. Diddy proclaims "black power" on national TV. Was it racist?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by paganini

But lets take this brotherhood /unity concept and examine it. While i was living in a slum i had a friend of mine who was Mexican and he had the luxury of having a father who started a successful business thereby giving him a peachy managing job. The other Mexicans laborers who worked there teased him for being in a higher position as it made him a "sell out." Guy was guilted into their teasing and didnt feel like he was Mexican enough so he quit his well paying job to go do grunt work with the other laborers and for what? To appease his delusional brothers false sense of identity.

And? This proves what? That people are effected by their peers?

What exactly are you trying to claim?

You gave an example of an individual and are you trying to imply that is characteristic of the group? You do know there is a word for that...it's call stereotyping...and it's just one small step away from blatant racism.

I'm expanding on what i stated in my first post. The concept of brotherhood among your ethnicity is often little more than a bait and switch ploy. It preys on ones desire for a "family" of sorts then once it hooks you it turns around and your confronted with the ugly reality of the matter. You are merely conforming to a morbid sense of collectivism that burdens you and squashes individuality.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mcdgray129

Originally posted by dayve

its not racist or a double standard get over it.... white power is a statement of hate, black power is a statement of unity.

Look at my last post on the page before this one, the statement i said then holds true to you too.
Black Power no longer holds the same meaning it used too, and in this day and age is very much a racist statement, and should be halt as such...

edit on 26-2-2012 by mcdgray129 because: (no reason given)

And you would know that because your black? I've never rolled around yelling racial slurs at white people screaming black power, and ive never heard of it happening on a daily basis. But i have on more than enough occasions been yelled the N word out of a truck full of white people, they scream "White power" the only thing i could do was wish they would be dumb enough to stop. But hold it to all of you experts on here that know the difference between white power, brown pride, and black power..... IDK why white people are on this thread anyways its not about you. If you want a online race war, you have fun arguing by yourself.

edit on 26-2-2012 by dayve because: (no reason given)

No i would know that becos i am irish, and more then ye we have been suppressed down the years, but i hold no grudge.
And imo i think you're lying, as i could not see that happening in this day and age, and you not getting them people locked up, or at least halt accountable for their words, so imo thats all lies...
Dont be upset cos the Black Power word might become racist one day just like saying white power is...

Oh im lying.... Happened more than once in paradise CA, and here in chico on many occasions, if you have any idea where paradise is you wouldn't call me a liar..... And dont compare irish to this, thats even dumber than this topic. On another note, Why would i get them locked up? I can fight and have no problem trying to take on a truck full of fake cowboys... You dont know me so dont assume sh*t

You dont know me too, so also dont assume # about me... and i give no # where you're from or what color you are, racism is racism and thats fact..
Oh and i can fight too trust me...

You called me the liar, and where im from would be irrelevant if you didnt make dumbass statements. My color is also irrelevant, until you walk back out into reality from under your rock.. Racism is racism and p diddy isnt racist... He made alot of white people rich. And i doubt you can fight, im calling you a liar.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by paganini

reply to post by Hellas

Support each other for what?? I don't see anybody having humans as slaves. So who exactly needs support here? History?

I'm going to support my brother, because back then some people I don't even know were slaves..

So according to that logic, native americans should burn down your houses then.

6 generations ago, slavery was common place. 2 generations ago, black people couldn't vote, couldn't use the same bathroom, eat at the same restaurant, or generally have equal rights.

But you are going to go ahead and claim that it is ancient history...and no one today should be affected by over 200 years of systematic suppression???

To me...that is ignorance to an unimaginable level.

And no...according to that logic...it doesn't make a logical leap into burning down houses. If you would say that native americans should band together and support each other...then yes...I would say they should...following my logic.

The thing is things can change dramatically in the span of a single generation. I come from an ethnic group that was heavily discriminated against for ages and i dont have a chip on my shoulder over it because it simply doesn't affect me no matter how i want to rationalize it.

Further the whole ethnic unity/power mumbo jumbo often leads people into a pack mentality and ironically holds them down because they often are forced into accepting a strict guideline of conduct in order to be "real" irish or black or asian etc,etc. . I've seen first hand how this stifles the individuals life and progress in various aspects

..We need to do away with any type of ethnic unity all together . We should only band together over similar philosophies and goals not race or gender or whatever other silliness.

Great post my friend, and a star for you, as an irish man i've learned all to well how the irish was suppressed etc, but like you said that has nothing to do with me, and is in the past.
Should i go around shouting irish power??, no i dont think so, as that would be just wrong, and is not moving on from our pasts.
Whats in the past should be left there, we are a new generation, we should not stain our future with our past.
Star for you for a great post

Precisely. I'm Irish from my fathers side and I'm well aware of the peoples past. We had it bad for so long in our own country AND in America to make matters worse
We united together solely because we HAD TO in order to survive due to the immense amount of discrimination we faced. And this was the the same story with other ethnic groups as well. Safety was the reason and you achieved protection in numbers.

Now that we have the same freedoms as anyone else there is no need for us to join together as there is no logical point.We can now focus on our own individual goals and dreams unfettered
edit on 26-2-2012 by paganini because: (no reason given)

Another star for you my friend, i wish more people in this thread would see it that way, but it seems they cant leave their hatred behind them, in the past where it belongs...

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
White power is where it is at, not black power. Look at what whitey has done to Africa. Can you spell "colonialism"?
Look at what the Europeans did to the Americas. That is white power baby. Cloroxed.
Is that racist?
Black power? What is that? Am I racist for asking? Shouldn't I know what black power is? Do I have to be black to really know? Can whitey EVER know? Doesn't a black person have to answer a black question?

Isn't this entire topic an example that we are all fools in black and white? I think so.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

reply to post by mcdgray129

Yes that would be a great post if we was still living in the 1960's, black people are no more a minority then what white people are, we all have to live under a #ty rule. so please do give up with the whole im being put down cos im black act etc, guess what?? we all are!!, and take your own words on that last part, where now living in 2012, not the 1960's

Are you fricken kidding me??? Do you know what "minority" means???

Let me help you out.

en.wikipedia.org...

For non-hispanics in the United States...whites are 63.7% of the population...blacks are 12.2% of the population.

I'm not sure what rock you live under...but it's time to come out from under it and open your eyes.

Next you are going to tell me that minorities don't still face challenges today due to their poor treatment and living conditions in the past....right???
edit on 26-2-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

Funny, can you find me the same type of statics for the rest of the world??. you should stop hating on white people so much, as its really showing...

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Now that we have the same freedoms as anyone else there is no need for us to join together as there is no logical point.We can now focus on our own individual goals and dreams unfettered

*face palm*

This is exactly the same philosophy that seems to have been adopted by the current generation of African- American youths. I love how Young, gifted, and black: Promoting high achievement among African-American students. outlines the problem and proposes solutions. One should ask their self: Why throughout years of slavery people like Frederick Douglass and Harriet Jacobs risked their lives to become literate? Why did slaves seek freedom through literacy when they could have simply ran way? Why was the importance of education so stressed in the communities of Maya angelou and Joycelen Elders growing up? Why did every member of their communities show up to their graduations? Why did the the theme of achievement disappear in the African-AMerican circle instead of growing and blossoming?

Here's a quote from the book:

"It is a philosophy that is predicated on and takes seriously the socio-policial location of African Americans. For Africans in America, literacy laws were enacted to keep them as a people from voting, from exercising their citizenship rights. African-American teachers were paid less than white teachers, less was spent on African American schools, and so on. There was a systematic denial and limiting of educational oppurtunity for African Americans precisely because they were African Americans...It informed the role that education and schooling would assume in resistance and the struggle for freedom from the time of slavery to the Civil Rights era. But what do all of these observations have to do with the current conversation about African Americans for what egenerations is this philosophy of education still compelling? Could it play a central role in motivating contemporary African-Americans to pursue education viogrously?

Should I list some statistics about the African-American achievment gaps? Or are you really that naieve that you think a few amendments solved 200 years of problems? You can't be that oblivious. You're Irish but you're also still white so you and other irish-americans assimilated better over time. African-American freedoms are no longer denied, I'm thankful for that but that does not mean we give up.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Ahhhh. Its expression of steps in progress my man. P.Diddy is doin it big and is now tryin to do it medium that dominates. No "black" television anymore *sigh*. And yes white people it makes a difference. One is one thing while the other is the other. How many black people do you see when turn on the TV hmm.. and especially during Prime Time. Or any other minority for that matter. When i go to work, heck personal of about 150 a day mostly black folks
So why am i not seeing something like that i turn on the television. And in not some stereotypical role of playing back up or sidekick and not involved with the white girl. I've actually avoided TV shows and movies because of that. So much great programming lost

But what you don't know is that P. Diddy and a few other black guys tried to create their own distribution company.. and well we all know how things like that end up

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Forgive me for not reading all the replies, a long list.
No, I am not offended with that comment.
I have heard the same thing being said with other races.
We Do Not live in an equal society, no matter what anyone says.
Yes there are laws and it is very different now that it was in the sixties or earlier.
However, is the comment being made based on the agenda to enslave all other races?
Not the same thing If a white person were to say this, for obvious reasons. I don't agree with that comparison.
I am Indian and Portuguese mix with a Caucasian husband. From a previous marriage I have a bi-racial daughter who is half black. To this day, when we walk into public places, we still get the 'eye'. I'm sure I don't need to explain to you what I mean. It upsets my husband more than my daughter and I.
Nowadays, Laws might be different, the media might tread carefully, Hollywood will endorse it, BUT some regular folk Still hate the notion, and you know what I mean.
So, my point is, why in the heck should anyone be offended or threatened at someone that makes a statement that is meant to encourage and bolster a race of people. Don't you think they need it?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

No i dont think you get it, we are living in a new age now. and you really are the only one being racist in this whole thread pretty much.

First off...
....we are living in a new age...that is some funny stuff. I see racism in my life all the time...you won't see it out in public as much...but behind closed doors or when a group of white men are together..you better believe you will see it here in the United States. I can tell you one place you can find racism for sure...in the locker room of where I play hockey...it's all white men playing hocket at this rink. It's almost like a mini KKK rally inside the locker room. Not on the ice, not in the lobby, not in the parking lot...but in the locker room where it is only "the guys"...It's all over the place. And yes, I say "you guys are idiots"...but they don't care...they are having "fun".

I'm sure this isn't a unique situation...I have at least 5 other examples of where I could tell you there is ugly racism going on everyday...and that is just in my own life experience. And I don't live in some backwards, bumpkin country place...I live in a place that is known as a LIBERAL state. I'm thankful that the idiot racist are outnumbered here...but they do exist...and they are very ugly in what they say.

And again...I'd like to know who exactly I am being racist towards...which race am I hating on or saying I'm better than??? (you may want to think first that you don't know what race I am).

I have lots of black friends, and none of them go around shouting black power.

And you live in Ireland? I wouldn't expect your black friends to shout black power...it is mostly a united states thing. And if you live in the united states, I wouldn't expect them to say "black power" to you or even in front of you...because they know that you may have the wrong reaction...which it appears from your responses in this thread...you would.

Why should ye feel like you are different then us??, none of my colored friends do, so why should you??.
Unless you still feel like you re being halt back??. well guess what thats happening to us all, so get over yourself already..

Here's a newsflash for you...I'm not black.

Wow...shocking huh???

and i wouldnt even say white power, i would be more happy to say people power, let us all join together as one.
and if its racism to say white power, it should be the same for black power, as at the end of the day other then skin color we are all one and the same, do we not all bleed red blood?, do we not all have hearts??.
So once again you are the one who seems racist in this thread, as to me it seems you have a big problem with white people...

Funny...being white myself...I never really thought I hated myself.

I do have a particularly disdain of racist...and I'll call them out when I see them. So if you want to say I'm "rascist" against "rascist"...I'll wear that badge proudly.
edit on 26-2-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I find the issue of race to be extremely funny. Not racism(Okay well racism can be funny too, just the stupidity of it) and I mean old school Klan, cross burning, third Reich racism.

So most of western media tries to pound into our heads that you should be ashamed you are white and proud if you are any other flavor of melanin. Which is dumb because you either accept that idea and it still means your stuck on race, or you reject that idea and make race an issue in your life.

Anyways its all crap and double standards, however I'm fine with it. I'm starting to see less and less people identify with the color of their skin and more with as who they are as a person.

I think soon race, and racial issues will be nothing but the joke they are already. Just something to laugh at, because its absurd to think that whatever color you happen to be plopped out at by birth is now your identity.
edit on 2/26/2012 by Mcupobob because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainNemo
Groups of white people have been promoting their wellness and stature for hundreds of years, why is it wrong when black people want to do the same thing? There's a psycho-social impression that makes black people want to seek out other black people. Diddy's intentions are just to improve the quality of life of other black people..Calm down.

Due to blacks being a minority, and historical influences this is a double standard that should be allowed. Stop being so sensitive... I think some of you need a lesson in empathy. It's 2012, but the assimilation process isn't fully complete, until then afford us some things will you?

And P.Diddy is def. not a racist haha

edit on 26-2-2012 by CaptainNemo because: (no reason given)

Yes that would be a great post if we was still living in the 1960's, black people are no more a minority then what white people are, we all have to live under a #ty rule. so please do give up with the whole im being put down cos im black act etc, guess what?? we all are!!, and take your own words on that last part, where now living in 2012, not the 1960's....

Where i live, we are a minority and we often get treated like a minority. Quit acting like you know what the f*ck your talking about.

Well lets offer a different perspective. I grew up in a poor neighborhood populated mostly by Latinos and blacks. My whole time there i didn't see anyone being treated like a minority and there wasn't anything there holding anyone down. from prospering. You had people there who fell into a bad life style due to their own poor choices just as you had people who got out of the area and were successful because they chose to walk the right path.

The whites that also lived in the area were in the same boat as everyone else. and you see thats the thing. The people who are proponents of the whole notion that colored folks are still being held down look up at the top of society and see whites there thus they assume society is set up for them BUT if you take the time to look down at the bottom of society you'll find whites there too. Theres a select few who are lets say privileged to be at the top but outside of that you often have everyone else with largely the same worries and problems. People just like to pretend their special and being singled out.

But lets take this brotherhood /unity concept and examine it. While i was living in a slum i had a friend of mine who was Mexican and he had the luxury of having a father who started a successful business thereby giving him a peachy managing job. The other Mexicans laborers who worked there were teased him for being in a higher position as it made him a "sell out." Guy was guilted into their teasing and didnt feel like he was Mexican enough so he quit his well paying job to go do grunt work with the other laborers and for what? To appease his delusional brothers false sense of identity.

There you have it, imo paganin is the only guy so far in the last few post from anyone else that has made sense.
He speaks such true words.
And how colored people can say they only make up about 12% of America, guess what that would more then likely be the whole of Ireland. we are only a tiny place, look on the map and you will see. so who is in the minority now??, since where no longer talking about other country's or that....

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
mcdgray129 said:

and please dont give me some random statistic, without something to back it up

It's a statistic given by the U.S census bureau it doesn't need proof you F****** MORON. I CANT EVEN BARE TO ARGUE WITH YOU ANYMORE.
edit on 26-2-2012 by CaptainNemo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Funny, can you find me the same type of statics for the rest of the world??. you should stop hating on white people so much, as its really showing...

Why would I do that? P. Diddy is an American, he made the statement in America, about an American tv channel he is creating. And "black power" is historically an American phrase.

Stop trying to dodge the fact that you are wrong....Whites are still an overwhelming majority in America when compared to any other racial group.

Stop living in a fantasy world.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

its not racist or a double standard get over it.... white power is a statement of hate, black power is a statement of unity.

Look at my last post on the page before this one, the statement i said then holds true to you too.
Black Power no longer holds the same meaning it used too, and in this day and age is very much a racist statement, and should be halt as such...

edit on 26-2-2012 by mcdgray129 because: (no reason given)

And you would know that because your black? I've never rolled around yelling racial slurs at white people screaming black power, and ive never heard of it happening on a daily basis. But i have on more than enough occasions been yelled the N word out of a truck full of white people, they scream "White power" the only thing i could do was wish they would be dumb enough to stop. But hold it to all of you experts on here that know the difference between white power, brown pride, and black power..... IDK why white people are on this thread anyways its not about you. If you want a online race war, you have fun arguing by yourself.

No i would know that becos i am irish, and more then ye we have been suppressed down the years, but i hold no grudge.
And imo i think you're lying, as i could not see that happening in this day and age, and you not getting them people locked up, or at least halt accountable for their words, so imo thats all lies...
Dont be upset cos the Black Power word might become racist one day just like saying white power is...

Oh im lying.... Happened more than once in paradise CA, and here in chico on many occasions, if you have any idea where paradise is you wouldn't call me a liar..... And dont compare irish to this, thats even dumber than this topic. On another note, Why would i get them locked up? I can fight and have no problem trying to take on a truck full of fake cowboys... You dont know me so dont assume sh*t

You dont know me too, so also dont assume # about me... and i give no # where you're from or what color you are, racism is racism and thats fact..
Oh and i can fight too trust me...

You called me the liar, and where im from would be irrelevant if you didnt make dumbass statements. My color is also irrelevant, until you walk back out into reality from under your rock.. Racism is racism and p diddy isnt racist... He made alot of white people rich. And i doubt you can fight, im calling you a liar.

Come over to ireland and ill show you i can fight, as i also dont think you can, but if you can then we would have a good fight, as im a traveler so fighting is in my blood..
And i was the one who said racism is racism, no matter what color, so your taking my words now??.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Yes...let's look at Ireland's demographics...and maybe it will shed some light on how well you grasp race relations.

en.wikipedia.org...

Ethnic backgrounds: Irish: 96.7%, Asian: 0.3%, Black: 1.1%, Other/Mixed: 0.1%, Not Stated: 1.7% (2006)

Yes...it seems like you are the expert when it comes to race relations.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I think that "black power" can mean different things to different people. I believe it grew as a general slogan to promote pride in black people to fight for their rights, etc. against white racists. "White pride" is racist because it rose as a smartass reply to that expression to empower white people who wanted to fight back against the black people making a stand (racists, or at best fearful people.)

Note: sometimes "black power" is a very aggressive if not racist expression for taking over power from white people. However, it can also mean a sort of Separatism from white society.

(I for one am tired of statements like this which continue to separate us. From my view we're all one race.)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainNemo

*face palm*

This is exactly the same philosophy that seems to have been adopted by the current generation of African- American youths. I love how Young, gifted, and black: Promoting high achievement among African-American students. outlines the problem and proposes solutions. One should ask their self: Why throughout years of slavery people like Frederick Douglass and Harriet Jacobs risked their lives to become literate? Why did slaves seek freedom through literacy when they could have simply ran way? Why was the importance of education so stressed in the communities of Maya angelou and Joycelen Elders growing up? Why did every member of their communities show up to their graduations? Why did the the theme of achievement disappear in the African-AMerican circle instead of growing and blossoming?

Here's a quote from the book:

"It is a philosophy that is predicated on and takes seriously the socio-policial location of African Americans. For Africans in America, literacy laws were enacted to keep them as a people from voting, from exercising their citizenship rights. African-American teachers were paid less than white teachers, less was spent on African American schools, and so on. There was a systematic denial and limiting of educational oppurtunity for African Americans precisely because they were African Americans...It informed the role that education and schooling would assume in resistance and the struggle for freedom from the time of slavery to the Civil Rights era. But what do all of these observations have to do with the current conversation about African Americans for what egenerations is this philosophy of education still compelling? Could it play a central role in motivating contemporary African-Americans to pursue education viogrously?

Should I list some statistics about the African-American achievment gaps? Or are you really that naieve that you think a few amendments solved 200 years of problems? You can't be that oblivious. You're Irish but you're also still white so you and other irish-americans assimilated better over time. African-American freedoms are no longer denied, I'm thankful for that but that does not mean we give up.

Give up what?? i read your whole post and a great read at that, and im sorry for what happened to your colored people for so many years. but it no longer happens, other then in 3rd world country's. And then at that its by other colored people that do it. So why dont you hate on them??.
I love everyone as my brother or sister, no matter what colour their skin, cos on the inside we are all the same.
But holding hatred for something that happened before we where even born is only going to bring more hatred.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainNemo[/i]Should I list some statistics about the African-American achievment gaps? .

There was actually a recent statistic published that showed the gap has narrowed considerably between us whilst the class gap has widened .However the thing about statistics is you often can find a variety of them on the same matter that claim completely different things.

Originally posted by CaptainNemo[/i]You can't be that oblivious. You're Irish but you're also still white so you and other irish-americans assimilated better over time..

And here the irony in you calling me naive then spouting this , You tried to play the whole well you're white card. First of all the discrimination against the Irish continued on to with in living memory so lets not pretend like that was ages ago and this happened here and back in Europe.

The same goes for quite a few other Europeans who migrated to America. You can find older Mediterranean immigrants for example who can speak about how terrible they were treated. My mothers side was from Spain and my grandfather talked about how his family couldnt buy a house in certain neighbor hoods in the 60s because they weren't considered white. He was even attacked by the police because of his race.

So yes while I'm "white" lets not paint over the discrimination of euros in such an easy manner. Our assimilation occurred at various rates and it was often one largely bloody clawing to the top.

Originally posted by CaptainNemo[/i]African-American freedoms are no longer denied, I'm thankful for that but that does not mean we give upOr are you really that naieve that you think a few amendments solved 200 years of problems?

Why are you equating what i said with "giving up?" I'm merely stating there's no need for people to have a chip on their shoulder any more or buy into the paranoia that some group is intentionally trying to keep them down.

The Irish went through way more than 200 years of problems. At home the troubles continued into the modern age and things up North are still left with the results of all those tragedies.. There is nothing we can do about it but put it behind us and move on and not let the past repeat itself while at the same time taking personal responsibility for the way our lives pan out.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneCloudHopper
I think that "black power" can mean different things to different people. I believe it grew as a general slogan to promote pride in black people to fight for their rights, etc. against white racists. "White pride" is racist because it rose as a smartass reply to that expression to empower white people who wanted to fight back against the black people making a stand (racists, or at best fearful people.)

Note: sometimes "black power" is a very aggressive if not racist expression for taking over power from white people. However, it can also mean a sort of Separatism from white society.

(I for one am tired of statements like this which continue to separate us. From my view we're all one race.)

Those terms are not what separate, pushing the past under the rug as if it didn't happen is what continue to separate. You need to take note who is complaining about the usage of the terms "white power" and "black power" then you need to examine why they're complaining. I can almost assure you if people are honest it's not those terms that make them uneasy but the history from which those terms were born, the past is what is making them uneasy.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
who really cares...P. Diddy was hilarious in "Get him to the Greek" so he's ok in my book...I have never heard much from him with respect to saying outlandish stuff...I get what people are saying around a double standard but so aren't many other things...

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join