It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

P. Diddy proclaims "black power" on national TV. Was it racist?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainNemo
Groups of white people have been promoting their wellness and stature for hundreds of years, why is it wrong when black people want to do the same thing? There's a psycho-social impression that makes black people want to seek out other black people. Diddy's intentions are just to improve the quality of life of other black people..Calm down.

Due to blacks being a minority, and historical influences this is a double standard that should be allowed. Stop being so sensitive... I think some of you need a lesson in empathy. It's 2012, but the assimilation process isn't fully complete, until then afford us some things will you?

And P.Diddy is def. not a racist haha

edit on 26-2-2012 by CaptainNemo because: (no reason given)

Yes that would be a great post if we was still living in the 1960's, black people are no more a minority then what white people are, we all have to live under a #ty rule. so please do give up with the whole im being put down cos im black act etc, guess what?? we all are!!, and take your own words on that last part, where now living in 2012, not the 1960's....

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Can this thread be closed aready.....

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mcdgray129

I Dont think so, imagine if a person like Eminem etc, was to go on stage and say im making a new tv show etc same way as P-Didiy did, and then said White Power

What you aren't understanding is that the words and phrases are the same....but the meaning, the context and the history are drastically different.

Would it be the same thing if someone would get on stage and say "All praise God" and someone else got up and said "All praise Hitler"???

Tell me that you see the difference. It's not a double standard...they are different meanings.

I'll challenge you, or anyone else that says it's the same thing.

You and a black friend of yours (if that is even available to you) go to a public place where there are both white and black people. Have your black friend yell out "Listen up all my black friends, I encourage you to help each other out, work together, and let's all succeed together"...watch the reaction he gets from both whites and blacks. Now you get up and yell out "Listen up all my white friends, we have to regain our position as the dominate race, we have to hold down all other minority groups that are trying to do good for themselves and show them we are superior to them". Now look at the reactions you get from everyone.

Or, If you really think they mean the same thing. Have your black friend go up to another black person and tell them "black power"...now you go up to another white person and tell them "white power". Do you think the reactions from both people will be the same??? I don't...I think you will get disgusted looks and your black friend will get approving looks.

Black Power and White Power are simply not the same thing, no matter how many racists say it is. Society, history, and context defines what the two mean...and society agrees with me...sorry.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mcdgray129

Groups of white people have been promoting their wellness and stature for hundreds of years, why is it wrong when black people want to do the same thing? There's a psycho-social impression that makes black people want to seek out other black people. Diddy's intentions are just to improve the quality of life of other black people..Calm down.

Due to blacks being a minority, and historical influences this is a double standard that should be allowed. Stop being so sensitive... I think some of you need a lesson in empathy. It's 2012, but the assimilation process isn't fully complete, until then afford us some things will you?

Yes that would be a great post if we was still living in the 1960's, black people are no more a minority then what white people are, we all have to live under a #ty rule. so please do give up with the whole im being put down cos im black act etc, guess what?? we all are!!, and take your own words on that last part, where now living in 2012, not the 1960's....

Where i live, we are a minority and we often get treated like a minority. Quit acting like you know what the f*ck your talking about.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by paganini

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by Hellas

Support each other for what?? I don't see anybody having humans as slaves. So who exactly needs support here? History?

I'm going to support my brother, because back then some people I don't even know were slaves..

So according to that logic, native americans should burn down your houses then.

6 generations ago, slavery was common place. 2 generations ago, black people couldn't vote, couldn't use the same bathroom, eat at the same restaurant, or generally have equal rights.

But you are going to go ahead and claim that it is ancient history...and no one today should be affected by over 200 years of systematic suppression???

To me...that is ignorance to an unimaginable level.

And no...according to that logic...it doesn't make a logical leap into burning down houses. If you would say that native americans should band together and support each other...then yes...I would say they should...following my logic.

The thing is things can change dramatically in the span of a single generation. I come from an ethnic group that was heavily discriminated against for ages and i dont have a chip on my shoulder over it because it simply doesn't affect me no matter how i want to rationalize it.

Further the whole ethnic unity/power mumbo jumbo often leads people into a pack mentality and ironically holds them down because they often are forced into accepting a strict guideline of conduct in order to be "real" irish or black or asian etc,etc. . I've seen first hand how this stifles the individuals life and progress in various aspects

..We need to do away with any type of ethnic unity all together . We should only band together over similar philosophies and goals not race or gender or whatever other silliness.

Great post my friend, and a star for you, as an irish man i've learned all to well how the irish was suppressed etc, but like you said that has nothing to do with me, and is in the past.
Should i go around shouting irish power??, no i dont think so, as that would be just wrong, and is not moving on from our pasts.
Whats in the past should be left there, we are a new generation, we should not stain our future with our past.
Star for you for a great post

Precisely. I'm Irish from my fathers side and I'm well aware of the peoples past. We had it bad for so long in our own country AND in America to make matters worse
We united together solely because we HAD TO in order to survive due to the immense amount of discrimination we faced. And this was the the same story with other ethnic groups as well. Safety was the reason and you achieved protection in numbers.

Now that we have the same freedoms as anyone else there is no need for us to join together as there is no logical point.We can now focus on our own individual goals and dreams unfettered
edit on 26-2-2012 by paganini because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
It's a free country anybody can say what they want HOWEVER if you went on t.v and said "white power" you would be called a racist and rightfully so. It all has to do with the roots of both movements. The saying "white power" was adopted by white supremacists, meaning we're better than you and everybody else is inferiorto our race. The "black power" was adopted by the Black Panthers whose message was empowerment and unity.

SEE?! It's a big difference, it all has to do with the connotation... If anyone is that opposed to a black man saying black power I challenge them to go to a racially diverse area shouting "white power", you're not going to have much time to argue correctness before somebody punches you in the face.

Sorry guys, Hitler ruined that for your. I supposed you would have the same problem with a women's empowerment book?

We live in 2012, but we DONT live in a utopia. Yeah, things have gotten alot better for minorities but the world isn't done dividing people, just wait till the SHTF!!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Yes that would be a great post if we was still living in the 1960's, black people are no more a minority then what white people are, we all have to live under a #ty rule. so please do give up with the whole im being put down cos im black act etc, guess what?? we all are!!, and take your own words on that last part, where now living in 2012, not the 1960's

Are you fricken kidding me??? Do you know what "minority" means???

Let me help you out.

en.wikipedia.org...

For non-hispanics in the United States...whites are 63.7% of the population...blacks are 12.2% of the population.

I'm not sure what rock you live under...but it's time to come out from under it and open your eyes.

Next you are going to tell me that minorities don't still face challenges today due to their poor treatment and living conditions in the past....right???
edit on 26-2-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

reply to post by 200Plus

Wanting one group to have more rights than others is racist.

Anything, anything at all, that promotes one race over another is racist. It doesn't matter if it originates from a white, black, brown, red, yellow, or purple person.

Which is exactly why "Black Power" that promotes unity is not racist...while "White Power" that promotes supremecy is. I'm going to have to laugh in your face if you honestly think "Black Power" means that they want to take over the country and suppress whites.

Believe me...I'm not surprised by the content of this thread. Most white people see it as "racism" if a group of minorities try to better themselves by working together...hence them being "offended" by "Black Power". It's the same reaction most white people have when they hear a statistic about "whites" becoming a "minority"...even though they wouldn't be a minority...they'd still be the largest single racial group.

And I'm not surprised by the angry posts in response to my replies...people like to act racists but don't like to be shown that they are in fact racist.

Things just haven't changed as much as people want to claim they have...people just hide it more and don't like to own up to their own beliefs.

Imo you are the one being most racist in this whole thread...
Since when have Black people become the minority??, please do explan as we are not living in the 1900's no more.

>.<

You're ignorance and poor use of grammar really reduces you're argumentative effectiveness, but know that since we still make up little over 13% of the population and the majority of governing and societal influence is controlled by peoples outside of our race, black people are still a minority.

Why should you care about my grammar??, but hey, way to go with taking just a bit of my post and leaving out the rest
. And please do explain how you a trying to say black people are in the minority??, and please dont give me some random statistic, without something to back it up, and even then if the was more white people, we are still all treated the same now, just how i like it.
But maybe you would like it to be otherwise? ...
And black or white or any color, in this day and age we are all one. You seem to be the one trying to make you're self out to be different, i wonder why is that??.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by dayve

its not racist or a double standard get over it.... white power is a statement of hate, black power is a statement of unity.

Look at my last post on the page before this one, the statement i said then holds true to you too.
Black Power no longer holds the same meaning it used too, and in this day and age is very much a racist statement, and should be halt as such...

edit on 26-2-2012 by mcdgray129 because: (no reason given)

And you would know that because your black? I've never rolled around yelling racial slurs at white people screaming black power, and ive never heard of it happening on a daily basis. But i have on more than enough occasions been yelled the N word out of a truck full of white people, they scream "White power" the only thing i could do was wish they would be dumb enough to stop. But hold it to all of you experts on here that know the difference between white power, brown pride, and black power..... IDK why white people are on this thread anyways its not about you. If you want a online race war, you have fun arguing by yourself.

edit on 26-2-2012 by dayve because: (no reason given)

No i would know that becos i am irish, and more then ye we have been suppressed down the years, but i hold no grudge.
And imo i think you're lying, as i could not see that happening in this day and age, and you not getting them people locked up, or at least halt accountable for their words, so imo thats all lies...
Dont be upset cos the Black Power word might become racist one day just like saying white power is...

Oh im lying.... Happened more than once in paradise CA, and here in chico on many occasions, if you have any idea where paradise is you wouldn't call me a liar..... And dont compare irish to this, thats even dumber than this topic. On another note, Why would i get them locked up? I can fight and have no problem trying to take on a truck full of fake cowboys... You dont know me so dont assume sh*t

You dont know me too, so also dont assume # about me... and i give no # where you're from or what color you are, racism is racism and thats fact..
Oh and i can fight too trust me...

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

reply to post by dayve

Black people say black power to other black people. White people say white power to blacks and beyond

And there you have it...if anyone thinks P. Diddy was talking to white people as a threat...then it would also explain why these people think "white power" isn't racist...because it's safe to say they are on the low end of hte intelligence spectrum.

What Dayve said is 100% true..."White Power" is thrown around as an insult/threat towards black people. "Black Power" is said as encouragement to other black people.

For the people that are trying to say it is the other way around or that the two are equal...you are just exposing your own racism. Because you are showing that you are angry at black people wanting to encourage others to unite and succeed.

Like i said already imo your one of the biggist trolls in this thread, or the biggest racist in it, so please do go away before you get reported..

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Methinks thou doth protest too much.

It's true...racism is racism...and when people get angry about a group of minorities trying to encourage people to succeed...that to me implies they are racist.

Just my observations.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Where i live, we are a minority and we often get treated like a minority. Quit acting like you know what the f*ck your talking about.

Well lets offer a different perspective. I grew up in a poor neighborhood populated mostly by Latinos and blacks. My whole time there i didn't see anyone being treated like a minority and there wasn't anything there holding anyone down. from prospering. You had people there who fell into a bad life style due to their own poor choices just as you had people who got out of the area and were successful because they chose to walk the right path.

The whites that also lived in the area were in the same boat as everyone else. and you see thats the thing. The people who are proponents of the whole notion that colored folks are still being held down look up at the top of society and see whites there thus they assume society is set up for them BUT if you take the time to look down at the bottom of society you'll find whites there too. Theres a select few who are lets say privileged to be at the top but outside of that you often have everyone else with largely the same worries and problems. People just like to pretend their special and being singled out.

But lets take this brotherhood /unity concept and examine it. While i was living in a slum i had a friend of mine who was Mexican and he had the luxury of having a father who started a successful business thereby giving him a peachy managing job. The other Mexicans laborers who worked there were teased him for being in a higher position as it made him a "sell out." Guy was guilted into their teasing and didnt feel like he was Mexican enough so he quit his well paying job to go do grunt work with the other laborers and for what? To appease his delusional brothers false sense of identity.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chai_An

its not racist or a double standard get over it.... white power is a statement of hate, black power is a statement of unity.

Look at my last post on the page before this one, the statement i said then holds true to you too.
Black Power no longer holds the same meaning it used too, and in this day and age is very much a racist statement, and should be halt as such...

edit on 26-2-2012 by mcdgray129 because: (no reason given)

Says you, you can't speak for anyone but yourself and yet you're making a statement of how black people think? My attitude is if you want to say white power then say it, it don't make me any difference same as me saying black power. The people making the biggest stink about "white power being said are not black people it's white folks finding it offensive.
edit on 26-2-2012 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

I Dont think so, imagine if a person like Eminem etc, was to go on stage and say im making a new tv show etc same way as P-Didiy did, and then said White Power.. How many Black people do you think would get worked up over it??. imo i think alot.
And i think i speak for alot of people in that statement, i could be wrong but i feel i do.
Black people are no longer Halt down, and are a not a minority, like i said a few pages back, so why should it be ok for them to say such words??.
You know it as well as i do, it is going to become a racist word to say such a thing, maybe thats why you are upset??. Cos its no longer blacks vs whites etc, we are all one. And in this world we have no place for such things...

Until the past history is properly addressed the problems will not go away no matter how much people pretend it don't matter. I'm not upset nor do I have a problem with you or anyone else saying "white power". Actually "black power" is not a word with negative connotations and history as "white power" but even still I'm all for people who want to address one another with "white power".

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

reply to post by dayve

Black people say black power to other black people. White people say white power to blacks and beyond

And there you have it...if anyone thinks P. Diddy was talking to white people as a threat...then it would also explain why these people think "white power" isn't racist...because it's safe to say they are on the low end of hte intelligence spectrum.

What Dayve said is 100% true..."White Power" is thrown around as an insult/threat towards black people. "Black Power" is said as encouragement to other black people.

For the people that are trying to say it is the other way around or that the two are equal...you are just exposing your own racism. Because you are showing that you are angry at black people wanting to encourage others to unite and succeed.

Like i said already imo your one of the biggist trolls in this thread, or the biggest racist in it, so please do go away before you get reported..

I see you didn't even try to respond to anything I posted...which says more than anything else.

You seem to have a problem with black people encouraging other black people...and that is a bit disturbing to me.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

It's a free country anybody can say what they want HOWEVER if you went on t.v and said "white power" you would be called a racist and rightfully so. It all has to do with the roots of both movements. The saying "white power" was adopted by white supremacists, meaning we're better than you and everybody else is inferiorto our race. The "black power" was adopted by the Black Panthers whose message was empowerment and unity.

SEE?! It's a big difference, it all has to do with the connotation... If anyone is that opposed to a black man saying black power I challenge them to go to a racially diverse area shouting "white power", you're not going to have much time to argue correctness before somebody punches you in the face.

Sorry guys, Hitler ruined that for your. I supposed you would have the same problem with a women's empowerment book?

We live in 2012, but we DONT live in a utopia. Yeah, things have gotten alot better for minorities but the world isn't done dividing people, just wait till the SHTF!!

Hitler?

sounds an aweful lot like this guy:

www.youtube.com...

P. Diddy didn't say what he said in 1966, he said it in 2012.

Things have changed. Try and keep up.

wow.... lots of edits in your post since I responded

Anyway, I wanted to add I don't have a problem with anyone who doesn't look, smell, talk, or act the way I do so long as they respect my person and property.

I admit I grew up in an area with not many "black" people. Unless you count Indo-Canadians as "black"... so I'm pretty indifferent to the whole argument and it sounds ridiculous to me. If one person can say something and it's fine, it's fine for another. Common sense.

There is a lot of revisionist history and apologetics going on here, (not surprisingly) but that's how I see it, and folks looking for a fight will always find one.

peace.

*later

edit on 26-2-2012 by HIWATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by paganini

But lets take this brotherhood /unity concept and examine it. While i was living in a slum i had a friend of mine who was Mexican and he had the luxury of having a father who started a successful business thereby giving him a peachy managing job. The other Mexicans laborers who worked there teased him for being in a higher position as it made him a "sell out." Guy was guilted into their teasing and didnt feel like he was Mexican enough so he quit his well paying job to go do grunt work with the other laborers and for what? To appease his delusional brothers false sense of identity.

And? This proves what? That people are effected by their peers?

What exactly are you trying to claim?

You gave an example of an individual and are you trying to imply that is characteristic of the group? You do know there is a word for that...it's call stereotyping...and it's just one small step away from blatant racism.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by martianmallow

Of course it was. But it was racist like WOMAN POWER is sexist and KID POWER is agism. WHITE POWER is racist too. I think we have heard all those terms before and there was no reason to start a war.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

P. Diddy didn't say what he said in 1966, he said it in 2012.

Things have changed. Try and keep up.

You are delusional if you think things have changed that much.

The only thing that has changed is that racists now have to tolerate minorities...doesn't mean they accept them.

People in this thread have said "hey, we have a black president, racsim is over"...yeah...and we have seen historic disrespect for the office of the president. We have Birthers, people who claim he is muslim, congressmen yelling "YOU LIE" at a state of the union, Conservatives calling him a traitor and that he is purposely trying to destroy America, and of course that lovely little episode of Governor Jan Brewer sticking her finger in his face. Bush got us into 2 wars, tanked the economy all by himself, and started most the legislation that ATSers hate....but OBAMA is the one that is hated on.

But yeah...you are right..."times have changed"...there is no racism

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Whew, these threads should have a warning:

How about 'people power?"

spec

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

I Dont think so, imagine if a person like Eminem etc, was to go on stage and say im making a new tv show etc same way as P-Didiy did, and then said White Power

What you aren't understanding is that the words and phrases are the same....but the meaning, the context and the history are drastically different.

Would it be the same thing if someone would get on stage and say "All praise God" and someone else got up and said "All praise Hitler"???

Tell me that you see the difference. It's not a double standard...they are different meanings.

I'll challenge you, or anyone else that says it's the same thing.

You and a black friend of yours (if that is even available to you) go to a public place where there are both white and black people. Have your black friend yell out "Listen up all my black friends, I encourage you to help each other out, work together, and let's all succeed together"...watch the reaction he gets from both whites and blacks. Now you get up and yell out "Listen up all my white friends, we have to regain our position as the dominate race, we have to hold down all other minority groups that are trying to do good for themselves and show them we are superior to them". Now look at the reactions you get from everyone.

Or, If you really think they mean the same thing. Have your black friend go up to another black person and tell them "black power"...now you go up to another white person and tell them "white power". Do you think the reactions from both people will be the same??? I don't...I think you will get disgusted looks and your black friend will get approving looks.

Black Power and White Power are simply not the same thing, no matter how many racists say it is. Society, history, and context defines what the two mean...and society agrees with me...sorry.

No i dont think you get it, we are living in a new age now. and you really are the only one being racist in this whole thread pretty much.
I have lots of black friends, and none of them go around shouting black power.
Why should ye feel like you are different then us??, none of my colored friends do, so why should you??.
Unless you still feel like you re being halt back??. well guess what thats happening to us all, so get over yourself already..
and i wouldnt even say white power, i would be more happy to say people power, let us all join together as one.
and if its racism to say white power, it should be the same for black power, as at the end of the day other then skin color we are all one and the same, do we not all bleed red blood?, do we not all have hearts??.
So once again you are the one who seems racist in this thread, as to me it seems you have a big problem with white people...

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join