It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

P. Diddy proclaims "black power" on national TV. Was it racist?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Groups of white people have been promoting their wellness and stature for hundreds of years, why is it wrong when black people want to do the same thing? There's a psycho-social impression that makes black people want to seek out other black people. Diddy's intentions are just to improve the quality of life of other black people..Calm down.

Due to blacks being a minority, and historical influences this is a double standard that should be allowed. Stop being so sensitive... I think some of you need a lesson in empathy. It's 2012, but the assimilation process isn't fully complete, until then afford us some things will you?

And P.Diddy is def. not a racist haha

edit on 26-2-2012 by CaptainNemo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by dayve

Yea im a bigot.... Black people say black power to other black people. White people say white power to blacks and beyond.... Now you see people bringing up affirmative action like it REALLY makes a difference. I dont even feel like finishing my point, I'll just be a bigot. Sorry we make your life so ruff... Since your the one who gets sh*t because of their race....

Well I'm glad we settled on the fact that you're a bigot

"black people say BLACK POWER to other black people" ?

Really? I could have sworn Mr. Piddly was speaking on NATIONAL TELEVISION in front of a LIVE CROWD

hint: when you speak into a microphone and look into a tv camera, the people hearing you speak and watching your actions are not exclusively "black"

duhhhhhhhhhh

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
This thread would be hilarious if it weren't so sad.

The bottom line is "if it's good for the goose it's good for the gander"

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

If what Diddly said is not "racist" than any white person making a nazi salute saying "white power" is also NOT a racist.

It's that simple.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT

Yea im a bigot.... Black people say black power to other black people. White people say white power to blacks and beyond.... Now you see people bringing up affirmative action like it REALLY makes a difference. I dont even feel like finishing my point, I'll just be a bigot. Sorry we make your life so ruff... Since your the one who gets sh*t because of their race....

Well I'm glad we settled on the fact that you're a bigot

"black people say BLACK POWER to other black people" ?

Really? I could have sworn Mr. Piddly was speaking on NATIONAL TELEVISION in front of a LIVE CROWD

hint: when you speak into a microphone and look into a tv camera, the people hearing you speak and watching your actions are not exclusively "black"

duhhhhhhhhhh

Why are you splitting hairs..... you can break it down all you want to the fact is its not racist. When a white guy says white power it is racist, i grew up around a lot of racist people and know the dfference... Do your homework before you guys keep making stupid points. No normal white person is going to yell out white power, or get all sensitive when they hear black power or brown pride. Whose the bigot now, Uneducated kids.
edit on 26-2-2012 by dayve because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT

If what Diddly said is not "racist" than any white person making a nazi salute saying "white power" is also NOT a racist.

It's that simple.

That was the stupidest thing ive read yet..... lol

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder
reply to post by dayve

If you are bigoted, which you clearly are, run along there bigot

Frankly I don't think you're bigoted for saying black power. History is very clear when the words "black power" was used it was not done so to cause physical harm and destruction within white communities. However by the same token the words " white power" was used for that very thing towards blacks for decades. I find it funny how blacks are not the ones limiting free speech but are being dumped on as if they were complaining about whites wanting to address one another with the term "white power".
edit on 26-2-2012 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by martianmallow

>Be in 2012
>Have black president
>Blacks still think they're second class citizens
>MFW (My Face When)

Seriously, this is getting old. I've come to realize from my time abroad (and at home) are that usually the most racist are those who claim to need the protection from it. Not saying that's always the case, but for the majority it is.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by paganini

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by Hellas

Support each other for what?? I don't see anybody having humans as slaves. So who exactly needs support here? History?

I'm going to support my brother, because back then some people I don't even know were slaves..

So according to that logic, native americans should burn down your houses then.

6 generations ago, slavery was common place. 2 generations ago, black people couldn't vote, couldn't use the same bathroom, eat at the same restaurant, or generally have equal rights.

But you are going to go ahead and claim that it is ancient history...and no one today should be affected by over 200 years of systematic suppression???

To me...that is ignorance to an unimaginable level.

And no...according to that logic...it doesn't make a logical leap into burning down houses. If you would say that native americans should band together and support each other...then yes...I would say they should...following my logic.

The thing is things can change dramatically in the span of a single generation. I come from an ethnic group that was heavily discriminated against for ages and i dont have a chip on my shoulder over it because it simply doesn't affect me no matter how i want to rationalize it.

Further the whole ethnic unity/power mumbo jumbo often leads people into a pack mentality and ironically holds them down because they often are forced into accepting a strict guideline of conduct in order to be "real" irish or black or asian etc,etc. . I've seen first hand how this stifles the individuals life and progress in various aspects

..We need to do away with any type of ethnic unity all together . We should only band together over similar philosophies and goals not race or gender or whatever other silliness.

Great post my friend, and a star for you, as an irish man i've learned all to well how the irish was suppressed etc, but like you said that has nothing to do with me, and is in the past.
Should i go around shouting irish power??, no i dont think so, as that would be just wrong, and is not moving on from our pasts.
Whats in the past should be left there, we are a new generation, we should not stain our future with our past.
Star for you for a great post

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Who gives a [SNIP]. Really, he'll just make more millions off of other blacks who are stupid enough to buy anything the man says. I live in the South and that Black Power [SNIP] aint gonna cut it.

He's just an entertainer thats it. Nothing special at all. A black man with a whole bunch o money. Who gives a [SNIP]

Mods please notice that's an exclamation point. If I did that as a white man, I'd be front page news EVERYWHERE.

Mod note: We know what exclamation marks are, thank you. Still:
Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 27-2-2012 by Gemwolf because: Snipped censor circumvention

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mcdgray129

its not racist or a double standard get over it.... white power is a statement of hate, black power is a statement of unity.

Look at my last post on the page before this one, the statement i said then holds true to you too.
Black Power no longer holds the same meaning it used too, and in this day and age is very much a racist statement, and should be halt as such...

edit on 26-2-2012 by mcdgray129 because: (no reason given)

And you would know that because your black? I've never rolled around yelling racial slurs at white people screaming black power, and ive never heard of it happening on a daily basis. But i have on more than enough occasions been yelled the N word out of a truck full of white people, they scream "White power" the only thing i could do was wish they would be dumb enough to stop. But hold it to all of you experts on here that know the difference between white power, brown pride, and black power..... IDK why white people are on this thread anyways its not about you. If you want a online race war, you have fun arguing by yourself.

edit on 26-2-2012 by dayve because: (no reason given)

No i would know that becos i am irish, and more then ye we have been suppressed down the years, but i hold no grudge.
And imo i think you're lying, as i could not see that happening in this day and age, and you not getting them people locked up, or at least halt accountable for their words, so imo thats all lies...
Dont be upset cos the Black Power word might become racist one day just like saying white power is...

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

racists like you make me sick, they always have reasons to justify their racism, and yes, strangely enough many whites have been the victims of racism you utter mess

For me to be "racist"...which race am I being "racist" towards?

I hold no hate towards any group based on their skin color. And calling out those who are racists does not make one racist.

So please tell me...who am I being "racist" towards?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by 200Plus

Wanting one group to have more rights than others is racist.

Anything, anything at all, that promotes one race over another is racist. It doesn't matter if it originates from a white, black, brown, red, yellow, or purple person.

Which is exactly why "Black Power" that promotes unity is not racist...while "White Power" that promotes supremecy is. I'm going to have to laugh in your face if you honestly think "Black Power" means that they want to take over the country and suppress whites.

Believe me...I'm not surprised by the content of this thread. Most white people see it as "racism" if a group of minorities try to better themselves by working together...hence them being "offended" by "Black Power". It's the same reaction most white people have when they hear a statistic about "whites" becoming a "minority"...even though they wouldn't be a minority...they'd still be the largest single racial group.

And I'm not surprised by the angry posts in response to my replies...people like to act racists but don't like to be shown that they are in fact racist.

Things just haven't changed as much as people want to claim they have...people just hide it more and don't like to own up to their own beliefs.

Imo you are the one being most racist in this whole thread...
Since when have Black people become the minority??, please do explan as we are not living in the 1900's no more.

>.<

You're ignorance and poor use of grammar really reduces you're argumentative effectiveness, but know that since we still make up little over 13% of the population and the majority of governing and societal influence is controlled by peoples outside of our race, black people are still a minority.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
reply to post by dayve

Black power was a statement of unity decades ago when black people didn't have certain privileges. Now a days, blacks have all the privileges and more. SO, black power doesn't hold the same meaning now as it did 50 years ago.l

I don't get bonus points on a civil service test. I can't get a free ride to college or get into colleges easier when I have #ty grades in school because I am white.

White power, all my white people must stick together and fight this inequality. White power now means the same as black power did 50 years ago.
edit on 26-2-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

Oh, you poor white victim...the black man is holding you down

Keep lying to yourself and telling yourself all your problem are due to black people getting "special privledges"...god forbid you take responsibility for your own actions.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I think it is certainly racist, and I agree that racism against whites goes unnoticed. However I also believe that almost all races are racist, even against their own kind! Ever see an asian poke fun at another asian "fresh off the boat" or hear a black man ridicule someone from africa? It happens all the time, we're all racist and we should just not care what people say...besides, I'm mixed race, half mexican and half white mutt. I could either hate everyone or choose to not care.

MIXED RACE POWER!

link   

Originally posted by Chai_An

its not racist or a double standard get over it.... white power is a statement of hate, black power is a statement of unity.

Look at my last post on the page before this one, the statement i said then holds true to you too.
Black Power no longer holds the same meaning it used too, and in this day and age is very much a racist statement, and should be halt as such...

edit on 26-2-2012 by mcdgray129 because: (no reason given)

Says you, you can't speak for anyone but yourself and yet you're making a statement of how black people think? My attitude is if you want to say white power then say it, it don't make me any difference same as me saying black power. The people making the biggest stink about "white power being said are not black people it's white folks finding it offensive.

I Dont think so, imagine if a person like Eminem etc, was to go on stage and say im making a new tv show etc same way as P-Didiy did, and then said White Power.. How many Black people do you think would get worked up over it??. imo i think alot.
And i think i speak for alot of people in that statement, i could be wrong but i feel i do.
Black people are no longer Halt down, and are a not a minority, like i said a few pages back, so why should it be ok for them to say such words??.
You know it as well as i do, it is going to become a racist word to say such a thing, maybe thats why you are upset??. Cos its no longer blacks vs whites etc, we are all one. And in this world we have no place for such things...

link   
reply to post by dayve

Black people say black power to other black people. White people say white power to blacks and beyond

And there you have it...if anyone thinks P. Diddy was talking to white people as a threat...then it would also explain why these people think "white power" isn't racist...because it's safe to say they are on the low end of hte intelligence spectrum.

What Dayve said is 100% true..."White Power" is thrown around as an insult/threat towards black people. "Black Power" is said as encouragement to other black people.

For the people that are trying to say it is the other way around or that the two are equal...you are just exposing your own racism. Because you are showing that you are angry at black people wanting to encourage others to unite and succeed.

link   

Oh im lying.... Happened more than once in paradise CA, and here in chico on many occasions, if you have any idea where paradise is you wouldn't call me a liar..... And dont compare irish to this, thats even dumber than this topic. On another note, Why would i get them locked up? I can fight and have no problem trying to take on a truck full of fake cowboys... You dont know me so dont assume sh*t

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainNemo
Groups of white people have been promoting their wellness and stature for hundreds of years, why is it wrong when black people want to do the same thing?

because it makes blacks hypocrites for calling white people to put a stop to it, only they themselves to now do it.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Racist? Maybe. Had a white person said white power it would be labeled racist. Its a double standard. Yet I believe az a person of color I can say pride in success of ones race is normal. Its just a reference to a quote the revolution will not be televised. On the other hand. It hasn't been that long ago when people of color were discriminated against and segregated. So I say cut the guy some slack because he isn't perfect. None of us are.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by buggy166

Originally posted by CaptainNemo
Groups of white people have been promoting their wellness and stature for hundreds of years, why is it wrong when black people want to do the same thing?

because it makes blacks hypocrites for calling white people to put a stop to it, only they themselves to now do it.

Yeah it would make blacks hypocrites if that was true so I ask when did blacks call on whites to stop saying "white power"?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join