It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEMA Friends Will Be Gone "For Some Time"

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread810484/pg7#pid13501522]post by FugitiveSoul

The Army Corps of Engineers is preparing to blow up a levee on the Missouri side of the Mississippi River, a move that will flood the town of Cairo, Il. and the surrounding farmland. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito issued the ruling rejecting the state's appeal to stop the levee's destruction to the area downstream of the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers.

With the Mississippi River well past record levels, the Army Corps resumed its plans to destroy a two-mile-wide swath of the levy near Birds Point, Mo.

The Army Corps of Engineers is preparing to blow up a levee on the Missouri side of the Mississippi River, a move that will flood the town of Cairo, Il. and the surrounding farmland.

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito issued the ruling rejecting the state's appeal to stop the levee's destruction to the area downstream of the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers.

With the Mississippi River well past record levels, the Army Corps resumed its plans to destroy a two-mile-wide swath of the levy near Birds Point, Mo

Do you think this could have anything to do with the future maps? Also if you consider that the Mississippi was expected to peak out at about 63ft above normal levels, just how high will it be when the event happens?

I will be honest, the nuclear waste has always been my Achilles heel of fear...

www.cbn.com...
edit on 18-2-2012 by antar because: Link to ex material

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by odinson

Please give some positive thoughts, if you can. We all need them.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by zigguratvertigo

1. No verifiable facts in OP's story
  2. Nothing in the media corroborating OP's story
  3. New Madrid quake disaster was exactly 200 years ago.. ooooh the timing.

No offence to OP, his story is interesting, but ultimately junk data. Even if in the unlikely event the story is true, his two "FEMA mates" could be yanking his chain, or be completely wrong about what's going on. There is plenty of doom going on in this world that is based on carved in granite facts. I have no doubt in my mind that the ethereal glue that holds the illusion of normality in countries like the USA, is going to be shattered in my lifetime. No need for big quake doom, when your whole monetary system is steaming worthless turd.

edit on 18-2-2012 by zigguratvertigo because: spelling

TROLL

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SANTA CLAWS

I disagree. I dont see trolling at all. Perfectly legitamite opinion. Careful with them rocks.

FEMA members are given myriad tasks, up to and including eq preparedness.

It IS funny how Tesla disappeared long enough ago from conventional history boox to start using his works, but take a look at fracking.

My bf in texas does this. Hes obvlivious to the wonderful world of ATS and fear mongering, so I get str8 facts. He talks of COUNTLESS mini quakes throughout the day. He just laughs. I love Jimmy, but he's dumb as rocks.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Another fear mongering thread...The OP is just bored so he/she decided to make up a story saying their "friends" from FEMA know an earthquake is coming as like they have some sort of physic ability. Yea right, when it happens it happens. You can't predict mother nature, as much as you think you can, just can't. So little facts and such large amount of speculation.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Vinny5036

I'm not trying to fear monger, I just have a feeling in me like "is this for real?" These guys are so cool and they've always been straight with me on stuff. If they don't like something, they'll tell you kind of people.

I guess the first thing that you have to ask yourself is what evidence is there that the New Madrid Fault could go?

We know there have been exercises and preparedness is a good thing both for the authorities and the civilian population especially if you live in an earthquake prone area.

I am not going to state that nothing will happen, mainly because Mother Nature is not bound by anything and could let loose any time BUT.....

There are a few things to consider. First if some of the experts are to be believed the movement on the fault is only ~1 mm a year which believe me is very small. The reference material for this can all be found in this PDF file: Deformation of the North American Plate Interior from a Decade of Continuous GPS Measurements

The document is 36 pages long so i think it fair to post part of the abstract however the actual text stops on page 8, the rest being filled with squillions of diagrams, maps and charts etc..

Abstract. A combination of two independent geodetic solutions using data from close to 300 continuous GPS stations covering the central and eastern U.S. shows that surface deformation in the North American plate interior is best fit by a model that includes rigid rotation of North America with respect to ITRF2000 and a component of strain qualitatively consistent with that expected from Glacial Isostatic Adjustment (GIA). After correcting for the North American plate motion, residual horizontal velocities show a north-to-south deformation gradient of ∼1 mm yr −1 , mostly localized between 1000 and 2200 km from the GIA center, corresponding to strain rates of about 10 −9 yr −1

This basically is just to show you that the movement is really pretty slow. Slow is however still movement and the problem is that it is difficult to assess. On the first page it states:

deformation of 2 mm yr−1 nonetheless implies significant seismic hazard over a period of centuries to millenia if it represents elastic strain that accumulates over a several hundred kilometer-wide zone such as the New Madrid seismic zone.

Thereby hangs the problem. "a period of centuries to millennia". I will leave you to read the bits in between and tie your brain in knots with the equations

The conclusion is the bit you will be interested in however:

Based on our 0.7 mm yr−1 weighted RMS value for the residual velocities of the NMSZ sites, random deviations from a rigid plate model in the NMSZ region do not exceed 1.4 mm yr−1 at the 95% confidence level. We assume that this represents a conservative upper bound on the magnitude of any long-term slip in the study area. Assuming a simple model where characteristic earthquakes repeat regularly on a given active fault – as is implicit in the U.S. earthquake hazard maps, for instance – our results imply a minimum repeat time of about 3,000 to 8,000 years for future magnitude 8 earthquakes with 5-10 m of coseismic slip (Figure 22). For comparison, National Seismic Hazard Maps (Frankel, 1996) assume a 1,000 year recurrence time for M8 events with 5 m of coseismic slip. The implied ∼5 mm yr −1 of long term slip rate on the New Madrid faults is a factor of
four faster than the upper bound suggested by our analysis. Similarly, our 1.4 mm yr−1 upper bound implies a minimum repeat time of 600-1,500 years for future magnitude 7 earthquakes with 1-2 m of coseismic slip.

For those who are not aware yr-1 means per year.

So basically what this is saying is not much chance of a Mag 8 for about 2,800 to 7,800 years and of a Mag 7 for about 400 to 1,300 years.

I guess you could say that is good news - sort of kicks the can down the road a bit.

But not all geologists agree and we have to consider the Farallon plate. Eh? Well basically a piece of plate that is supposedly subducting way below the NMSZ. A quite reasonable explanation can be found here. If you click on the link in that article for the Farallon Plate you are taken to a more in depth (
) explanation.

For those who recognise the outlines of the various plates, this video is an animation of the Farallon plate. If you do not know these outlines well you may find these illustrations of use to explain what is being shown.

Oops running out of space......
edit on 18/2/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
The following set of slides as a PDF is worth a read Holocene The NMSZ & Evidence of Holocene Displacement in the Jackson Purchase Displacement in the Jackson Purchase

This looks at some possible ancient events in the area.

I will wind this up now as it is nearly 3am, but just wanted to say that you will find plenty of scaremongers out there to wind you up. On the other hand being prepared is good.

My personal feeling is that the first study I referenced has quite probably got it right and there could be a couple of hundred years of stress build up yet before anything really serious lets loose.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I'd say a very well played fear mongering story but total BS.
My wife is FEMA employed and I'd say she has mid to top level knowledge of what's going on. She's in the know if you know what I'm talkin bout. Be assured no operations going on like the op suggested that I know of. All I can say.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
So here's a question. If their science & technology tells them that an earthquake is imminent & they are so sure that is has to occur soon, then why are they not taking preventive measures? Campaigning to warn people, encourage preparedness. What about shutting down those vulnerable reactors? If it has to occur, then you already know you are going to have a meltdown that will cause a lot more damage than any earthquake ever did.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
So 200 years ago, between December 1811 and February 1812 this area had magnitude 8.0 'quakes recorded. It would seem then that FEMA truly knows that 200 years is the time for the next big ones, even to to the years and months. (some sarcasm there) FEMA have already publicly said of the dangers in this area, in 2008. It is not a secret. Amazingly enough though, the worst occurrences have been in the winter months. But more importantly there is a history, so authorities need to take it seriously, and perhaps also because these are earthquakes inside a continent. So there is a mystery here, but not one done inside the 'old pals act'
edit on 18-2-2012 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghoulardi
I'd say a very well played fear mongering story but total BS.
My wife is FEMA employed and I'd say she has mid to top level knowledge of what's going on. She's in the know if you know what I'm talkin bout. Be assured no operations going on like the op suggested that I know of. All I can say.

I'll certainly say this. I know these guys very well. They're my neighbors, and friends. I've known them almost ten years now. I'm a veterinarian by trade, have children, a wife, home, and other family close by. I have absolutely no reason NOT to believe them. One has been in FEMA many years, so I'll trust his word before I'll ever trust yours.

So by all rights then, as quickly as YOU claim I am lying, then how do we know your wife is a FEMA employee??? I think I'll throw this stone back to you Mr. FEMA Troll...

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjjigga
Another fear mongering thread...The OP is just bored so he/she decided to make up a story saying their "friends" from FEMA know an earthquake is coming as like they have some sort of physic ability. Yea right, when it happens it happens. You can't predict mother nature, as much as you think you can, just can't. So little facts and such large amount of speculation.

Please do us all a favor and go practice falling off a bridge?

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I have no idea how deep the waters would get once those levees were blown.

I was under the impression that the waters wouldn't rise after the quake, but instead the land would separate, or atleast give the illusion of separation as the two plates pushed down on one another, deepening the trough that creates the Mississippi river.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
Please answer honestly.

Have you ever told these guys that you visit ATS?

NOPE

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Yes I agree, if this info is true I would be very careful in what you say, mainly everywhere specially don't say there names anywhere either....

Recently (December 1st, 2011 so very recently) wiki-leaks posted~ The Spy Files~
Where it goes on to basically say every single electronic device you have can be hacked
and everything on it can be seen, with phones(smart phones of course) they can constantly
track location, convo's, see text's, pictures, videos and everything! that's evil!
and if you don't believe it go to the link provided, they show over 200! different companies
that make spy things for different electronics and take you to there site, where a video or pictures
showing how there product works and price's is the first thing that comes up.

It is very displeasing to me. After seeing all those and looking at quite a few I now know for sure
all my weird thoughts on being able to be watched threw my phones camera and all my private
conversations-weather talking about illegal things or not, if anyone in the government wants they
have FULL access to everything. Most is stored in a cloud too so they can review it at anytime
and listen in on to even more people. I'm sorry for repeating things on this post, it just the fact that
they can see so much really really bother's me and makes me wonder...
What else can they do/are doing?
Anyway here's the link..

http://__._/The-Spyfiles.html

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Vinny5036

I'm still reading the post's so idk if anyone replied to you when you said "fill me in"

so here you go, the state doc.. very very very dumb incident to say the least.

www.au.af.mil...

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
If I knew there would be a disaster and where, I wouldn't want to go there. I guess if they intend to help that is nice, but why would they want to be there when it all goes down?

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Here are my questions regarding the OP:

It appears you live in the general vicinity of central Ill, I'll assume your friends and their families do as well since you stopped in for a chat. So how could their destination "down to" include Ill? Also, if the New Madrid fault line includes Ill, why wouldn't they re-locate their families to a safer area? Another thought is, FEMA doesn't send any workers in until the area is considered safe/secure (at least from natural catastrophic disasters). Why would they send them in early "pre-earthquake" as it could potentially kill or maim them? I work in the catastrophic adjusting field and we are never allowed in an area until the cause of danger - i.e. tornado, earthquake is over, and flooding has to have at least stopped progressing in the area of deployment in order to begin assessing the damage.
edit on 19-2-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN
reply to post by CaptainNemo

Hmmmmmmmm interesting public service announcement by FEMA . . .

I don't think he has a doubt in his mind that a big quake is coming. Not sure why I think that. Maybe his eyes, facial expression, tones.

I also don't think he's entirely happy to be in the job he's in . . . he sort of acted like he was between a rock and a hard place. Don't know why I felt that either. Just did.

He also sounded like he was trying to warn without saying anything significant. And maybe a bit perturbed at that double-bind.

Interesting.

Anyone else have any such feelings watching the video?

Yes, I had the exact same feeling watching the video.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Um, everyone? Why are you all so focused on the whole "earthquake" thing?

At no time did his friends say anything about an earthquake, it was just an assumption. They could be preparing for anything. How would we know?

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join