It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Say Something Nice About Your Country!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Its been a fad for a while now to bash your own country…

Patriotism seems to only be found in very few individuals…

I see it all too often the negativity…

The hate…

But I wanna bring out some of the positive in this thread.

I know this is an international community

So it doesn’t matter what Country you live in.

Tell me one T&C friendly, positive thing that you LOVE about your Nation!

But please try to keep the hate and negativity away…

pretty please with sugar on top?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I will go first…

I made a second comment to keep the neutrality of the OP

I’m American; I live in the state of Kentucky.

I love my nation because of these beautiful words.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

guess I need a source?

I take those words with me everywhere… literally…
I have an iphone app of the Constitution.

I read those words often. To me they are as deep and soul reaching as any grand work of poetry. They offer hope. They offer love. They offer happiness.

To me those words are as true today as they were in 1787.

That is why I Love my Country

As a bonus…
Why I Love Kentucky… The state I was born in…

This is the land of my Father, and my Father’s Father…. This is their birth land… Their blood, sweat and tears have went into acre after acre. Hard working men who provided for their families. Men who believe in being vitreous, having honor and being an actual man… My Grandfather lived and died in this state… As will my father and as will I.
This state is where my family lives... and I love family... they are an important part of my life.

This is simply our home state… and home is where the heart is…

Now its your turn…

edit on 2/13/12 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I like my country because of the fact that I can actually own guns. I mean, I imagine that you can own a gun in other locales, but I can really, hardcore own a gun, or several dozen, if I so desire. It's awesome.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I am from Scotland...

We didnt allow the romans in...

we helped invent a whole ton of important things

you can find direct scottish links to lots of amazing things (various works of democracy, Us Navy, Antibiotics the list goes on)

We produce music to a level which can counter many countries in the world...

the country is beautiful

the people are happily party animals who are always up for "banter"

and insult is a the greatest way to prove you like someone...

and theronly like 5.2 million of us in the entire country.

(I am British, i am Scottish and i am proud of both these things)

From being british and proud, our armed forces are one of the best in the world (especially or SAS and SBS)

We get grief for being imperialistic, there was so few of us on such a tiny little part of earth but we helped shape the rest of the world.

or health care system and education are both top notch!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Canada here ...Yea I guess that the one thing nice about this country is that the invading colonialist made all of the different Native tribes learn another language and now we have the ability to communicate with one another ....peace ps..also we are closer to the north pole so Santa gets here earlier:

edit on 13-2-2012 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I love my Country because it is the land I was born in, where my Daughter was born.

I love that I have the right to vote. That I own what I work for. She is not perfect, and is slightly tarnished. But, there still beats in her heart, and runs in her veins, the blood sweat and tears of the People that keep her alive.

She is a generous Mother...overly so sometimes. The United States of America....I Love my Country.

Des

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Great thread idea S&F

Im in Malaysia, I love that its shorts and tshirt weather 24 hrs a day 365 days a year, even when it rains.
I love the food, you can get anything cheaply but the main stuff is a mix of Malay,Chinese and Indian PLUS its mainly homegrown, none of this GM pesticide riddled cr@p.
I also love that I can go for a quick drive 10 min away from the middle of Kuala Lumpur and feed monkeys

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
We're rich, $%^&*. We print the reserve currency.

We got some crazy @#$ technology that you don't even know about.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Thanks for the comments so far everyone!!!

Some really great answers!

And I like how everyone is keeping it positive

this thread is about taking pride in whats "yours"

and i'm seeing some excellent patriotism of ones own country from around the globe

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Scotland where we can drink anyone under the table and kick flaming terrorists without batting an eyelid

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Australia:

This country is great as the culture is laid back, can get on with just about anybody, a very humourous society. Proud of the fact that we successfully defended ourselves against the Japanese, the Servicemen involved were very brave.

Best beaches on the planet!

Some of the most accomplished sportsmen (E.g. Shane Warne -world famous cricket player- / John Wayne Parr - 9 times World Muay Thai Champion, ranked #1 on the planet, and many more)

Simply put, one of the best nations to ever exist. Not once have i bashed and spouted negativety about my country.

edit on 13-2-2012 by daaskapital because: eta

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Hey great thread idea! SnF.

Puerto Rico!!

La Fortaleza (the fortress) one of the oldest executive mansions in the Americas still in use.
The second most deepest point in the ocean is just off the coast of San Juan.
There are 5 bioluminescent bays in the world, 3 are in PR.
The largest radiotelescope in Arecibo.
San Juan is the second oldest European-established city in the Americas and one of the
points of the Bermuda triangle.
Our share of famous people: Ricky Martin, J.Lo anyone?
The first shots of WW1 on behalf of the U.S were fired from PR. (Hell yeah!)

100x35 miles of awesome.

edit on 13-2-2012 by Dembow because: OMG!!! Oh noes!!!

edit on 13-2-2012 by Dembow because: OMG!! Again, oh noes!!!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I love my country because despite all the violence and history most people are willing to get along on a daily basis, and it is a beautiful place.

I love my country because we have 9 indigenous languages, and it's one place where settlers from Europe and Africa met, and white and brown peoples have an indigenous language called Afrikaans.

I love my country, because at least legally we have gay rights - and we're the only country in Africa with constitutional rights and gay marriage.

I love my country because the rest of Africa is fleeing to us, because we were still building houses, schools, universities and infrastructure, when long de-colonized countries murdered or chased away their productive minorities and reduced their lands to rubble.

I love my country, but I don't love this government.
Nevertheless, I love even that, because one day it will show that nationalism will triumph over forced Marxist multiculturalism.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
i like this topic, I love my counrty because i can be myself and be subjected to it. i an get drunk and go bowling and then sleep with a girl and the next day no one care's so i love be me so that is why i love my country, and just so your wondering i live in hawaii so it is a 24/7 party here.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Australia. Summed up in a verse by Dorothea Mackellar

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror -
The wide brown land for me!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
As an American I can still say I love this place.

It is not the same place I was born, and its changing all the time. But its an experiment where so many cultures and flavor and ideas can come together. There are plenty of ignorant citizens, yes, but we also have amazing places where you can live the way you choose for the most part. We have many extremes here too, and that can be a good thing. There are cities where I can lose myself in the art, culture and food and never have the same experience twice. I am never bored.

Is this the greatest nation on earth? Absolutely not. It is what it is, and I would have to live as a citizen in every nation on this planet to make that decision

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I like my country very much. For all the reasons Gonzo says above and more.

Scottish Enlightenment

The Scottish Enlightenment was an intellectual movement that ranged across the fields of philosophy, chemistry, geology, architecture, poetry, engineering, technology, economics, sociology, medicine and history.

... Enlightenment ideas guided Thomas Jefferson as he drafted the American Declaration of Independence.

The 'Science of Man'
David Hume's aim was to found the 'Science of Man' – nothing less than the study of human nature by scientific means. As his books were translated into numerous languages his ideas echoed around the world.

Hundreds of years after his books were first published they can still inspire fierce debate. Today, David Hume is widely regarded as one of the world's greatest and most influential philosophers.

The Scottish Enlightenment

The Scottish Enlightenment (Scots: Scottis Enlightenment) was the period in 18th century Scotland characterised by an outpouring of intellectual and scientific accomplishments. By 1750, Scots were among the most literate citizens of Europe, with an estimated 75% level of literacy.[1] The culture was oriented to books,[2] and intense discussions took place daily at such intellectual gathering places in Edinburgh as The Select Society and, later, The Poker Club.

Shocked me that I wasn't told about this in school? That's my one criticism. Oops sorry, must stay positive. Aye, Scottish Enlightenment - maks me prood!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Cool thread bro'

I have immediate and extended family across four Continents...

Australia, Scotland, Japan and Canada... could have been born in any one of those countries at the time - for better or worse, I love them all for what they are and love them all the same.

I reside in Oz for now - yet it will always be "home" to me.

edit on 13-2-2012 by Perhaps because: waredrobe malfunction

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
this country scraped my cranium.
is that okay.
EHYEH ASHER EHYEH.
I am brainless.
the los angeles will not burn to the ground?
does laibach have a special vhs tape called NATO.
two were made.
One for Nato.
One for me.
what do you think of this.
it is very real.
they stole my brain.
verify me

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by On the level
Scotland where we can drink anyone under the table and kick flaming terrorists without batting an eyelid

Canada here...

And we would take that challenge...

Oh... and we make great beer too!

edit on 13-2-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join