It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Gay Marriage" apparently not all it was cracked up to be

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by L00kingGlass

So they need to come up with a new word, AND a new ceremony too? I want to ask why, but really I'm just proving the point of my own first reply here. This is all a conspiracy to make us talk about something other than the topic at hand. How about all the naysayers answer this simple question:

Do you think gays should be allowed to join together in a contractual union EXACTLY the same as that of a man and woman when they get married, EXCEPT they can't call it marriage? Is that really the only problem you have?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking
reply to post by MathiasAndrew

And straight couples have been destroying the sanctity of marriage long before any gay couple has had a chance to.
edit on 9-2-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

And then there are those of us who believe that marriage never had sanctity to begin with.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by internationalcriminal

Do you think gays should be allowed to join together in a contractual union EXACTLY the same as that of a man and woman when they get married, EXCEPT they can't call it marriage? Is that really the only problem you have?

I can't speak for everyone else, but, yes!

edit on 9-2-2012 by L00kingGlass because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

That's exactly what I thought. And even though you can't speak for everyone else ,I've always suspected they thought the same. And I think I'm right. And I'm sorry, but you have to admit, that's not fair. If any sort of benevolent god really exists, I dare you to say that to him when you die. Really. Que cojones.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Thats the thing about religion. We can´t on one side pick and choose. Because thats really what you are saying. The bible tells us so. But still we ignore most of the sins that are condemned in the Bible.
Why does that mean we can't call it gay marriage? Because its not the entierly same.

Like coke. Either you buy the original or the fakes its same same but different. ANd thats what the word marriage is. Marriage is a institution between two individuals, life partners.
The word actuallly is not from the bible. Other words where used.
So we can call it the same and still look at the unions as different. But why can't we be individuals.
There are transgender people
What about them?
They are not in a sick state or dellusional. They are for example a woman trapped in a man's body. This bows my mind. But after watching those pictures of kids born after Hiroshima with an axtra eye or leg, i felt there is something really wrong about how we percieve religion.

Most of all we are to treat everyone as equals. We don't. We are not to steal. But we download music and vids, not to mention the fact that we demand lower prices even though we know this will make it even more hell for the people in sweatshops in Asia.

How is it that Gay marriage is more important than the crusial state this world is in. Half lives on 2 dollars a day?
Where are the good christians??? The first that was said by many christians in the media when the tsunami hit Thailand and countries in the same area. THey said it was a sin flood. And that just like Kathrina was made by god to cleanse.
What is this?

As a gay person i want to marriage because my partner is the one i love. But my love is also connected to God and i want to be connected to my life partner trough a holy pact. Not because i want equal righst anymore. I dont care. But because of the bond it makes. Its the end of conservatism and the liberation of individuals. Not genders or sex, but like we are on the internet. Just different ID´s

This is the main point of the new testament. Help others and do what you can to make this world a better place then when you arrived.

At least thats my opinion

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
So, let me see if I get this....

I can go to Vegas, meet a stripper, "fall in love," head to the local drive-thru chappel and get married by an Elvis impersonater, then, a week later get divorced. All this is perfectly legal and, apparently, doesn't destroy the "sanctity of marriage." Good so far?

But, should a homosexual couple get married the "sanctity" is destroyed? And, further, we can demonstrate this "Gay Marriage" isn't apparently all it was cracked up to be because one in fourteen has filed for divorce (which, by the way, is better than the 'normal' divorce rates)

Logical argumentation - ur doin it rong!

I don't get people sometimes.
edit on Thu Feb 9 2012 by Rren because: eliminated an extra "the"

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

That's exactly what I thought. And even though you can't speak for everyone else ,I've always suspected they thought the same. And I think I'm right. And I'm sorry, but you have to admit, that's not fair. If any sort of benevolent god really exists, I dare you to say that to him when you die. Really. Que cojones.

I'm not the one being disrespectful! Why do gay people have to copy-cat, and trample all over our sacred institutions? I'm beginning to think some gay people like being provocative and mean.

If a gay person wanted to have a partnership ceremony with someone of the opposite sex, then they can have a marriage™. That's what we've been doing for thousands of years, why do you want to barge in like that and make straight people feel bad for not wanting to change it? Not very nice at all.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by lost artistic

Star for that, exactly. Is this topic even really important??!! Let the gays get married now, call it whateverTF you want, civil union, we can change it later, let's look at the real issues of our lifestyle for once. Millions are dying, and that has been a fact since I was born in the early seventies at least, I suppose it's even longer, ask someone older! And we all know we're responsible, i mean africa, south america, etc...

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rren
So, let me see if I get this....

I can go to Vegas, meet a stripper, "fall in love," head to the local drive-thru chappel and get married by an Elvis impersonater, then, a week later get divorced. All this is perfectly legal and, apparently, doesn't destroy the "sanctity of marriage." Good so far?

Not only that, they also get to call it "marriage", while two gay people who partner for life aren't supposed to.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by L00kingGlass

I'm not the one being disrespectful! Why do gay people have to copy-cat, and trample all over our sacred institutions? I'm beginning to think some gay people like being provocative and mean.

If a gay person wanted to have a partnership ceremony with someone of the opposite sex then they can have a "marriage™". That's what we've been doing for thousands of years, why do you want to barge in like that and make straight people feel bad for not wanting to change it? Not very nice at all.

I'm sorry man, but that pretty little "™" you put in there on the word marriage - if that's a trademark I assume there's some patent or copyright or some official document to validate your claim? Please, please, show me that patent, if it really exists, 'cause I really have to think you just made that up. This is ATS, deny ignorance and show me why you and others with the same argument think you own that word!? Really, I mean pics or it didn't happen!

And as for changes, nothing changes, straight people like you and ME can still get married however, whenever, wherever and with whomever we choose. As we have been able to only for a a very small period of recent time. Shall we go back to arranged marriages and segregation too? Or maybe some slaves would be nice to do the laundry..?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

really don't care what you do behind closed doors as long as you keep it there.

Ok but strait couples have to keep it behind closed doors too...

2nd line

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

****REMINDER****

The off topic posts, the attacks on other members and ALL Terms and Conditions of Use violations will stop NOW.

ATS expects every member to post with CIVILITY AND DECORUM on all threads, all topics, all forums....everywhere on ATS!

Anymore of it from here on out may get you a posting ban!

edit on February 9th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

If a gay person wanted to have a partnership ceremony with someone of the opposite sex then they can have a "marriage™". That's what we've been doing for thousands of years, why do you want to barge in like that and make straight people feel bad for not wanting to change it? Not very nice at all.

I'm sorry man, but that pretty little "™" you put in there on the word marriage - if that's a trademark I assume there's some patent or copyright or some official document to validate your claim? Please, please, show me that patent, if it really exists, 'cause I really have to think you just made that up. This is ATS, deny ignorance and show me why you and others with the same argument think you own that word!? Really, I mean pics or it didn't happen!

And as for changes, nothing changes, straight people like you and ME can still get married however, whenever, wherever and with whomever we choose. As we have been able to only for a a very small period of recent time. Shall we go back to arranged marriages and segregation too? Or maybe some slaves would be nice to do the laundry..?

I'm sorry about that tm, how did that get there? Must have pressed the wrong key. Marriage™ in my opinion is reserved for a man and a woman.

Anyhow, it is late and I must bid you a good evening.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Sorry, seemed to be kinda be on topic actually if you were referring to us...anyway, will stay on topic from now on, to sum up with reference to the OP, I don't think the term "marriage" is the question. At all.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by internationalcriminal

It's really not a conspiracy. But let's talk Shakespeare.

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" is a quotation from William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet, meant to say that the names of things do not matter, only what things are.

In the play Romeo and Juliet, the line is said by Juliet in reference to Romeo's house, Montague which would imply that his name means nothing and they should be together.
Juliet:

O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny thy father and refuse thy name;
Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
And I'll no longer be a Capulet.

Romeo:

[Aside] Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?

Juliet:

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.

Romeo:

I take thee at thy word:
Call me but love, and I'll be new baptized;
Henceforth I never will be Romeo.

[1]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

If a gay person wanted to have a partnership ceremony with someone of the opposite sex, then they can have a marriage™. That's what we've been doing for thousands of years, why do you want to barge in like that and make straight people feel bad for not wanting to change it? Not very nice at all.

You make it sound like Gay people suddently popped out of nowhere and started demanding.
Tell me, was the Spanish inquisision sacred? The pope is the voice of God, that means that what he say is the absolute truth. And the pope backed this up. They streched people to they broke. This only to cleanse???

Its not that way anymore. Thank God. But this thing with the "Us" and "You" is negative and . You gotta understand its a totally different reality for us being gay. Its like being handikapped. We know we are different. Not because of God but by the looks of how some of us gay act. Natural behavior that is not under any control but is feminine many look at as provocation.

Thats like saying people with Tourettes have bad manners

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

That's all very well and good, and sounds quite liberal on the surface, but again, are you really arguing that "tradition" or "christianity" has some sort of monopoly on the word "marriage"??!! ?Cause I'd like to see the precedent for that one....!

I would argue that tradition has had the monopoly, but not necessarily Christian. Hindus also have elaborate marriage ceremonies. And if the husband dies, the wife has been known to throw herself on the funeral pyre as well.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I think you really do believe that gay people are aliens from another planet. They are PEOPLE of this earth, just like you. They have the right to equal treatment, just like you. I don't understand the "barge in" comment. They don't have to "barge in" - they are already here.

I understand that it's human nature to resist change, but change happens. For thousands of years, women were treated solely as property, as was written in the bible. Women got tired of it. Times have changed, and women will no longer put up with being treated as second-class citizens, no matter what the bible says about it.

For thousands of years, slavery was the norm, as was written in the bible. The slaves got tired of it. Times have changed, and blacks will no longer put up with being treated as second-class citizens no matter what the bible says about it.

For thousands of years, marriage has been between a man and a woman, as was written in the bible. Gays have never been allowed into this world. They are tired of it. Times are changing and gays will no longer put up with being treated as second-class citizens, no matter what the bible says about it.

Telling gays they have to call their union something else is like telling blacks, "you can ride the same bus we ride, but you can't call it a bus, because buses were made for white people - you have to call it a "blackmobile". It would be like telling women, "you can get a job, but you can't call it a job, because jobs were meant for men - you have to call it "women's work".

Christians do not have a monopoly on the word marriage. The word and concept of marriage has been through many different religions/cultures/definitions. I believe it is very arrogant to demand the word as yours alone, simply because you are a Christian.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by lost artistic

Ok I promised myself not to get involved with these hot button topics, but I can't resist! (Please mod don't hurt me.)

But let me just say one last thing: I have a gay friend, and my sister is gay. I've had this conversation with them many times, and they don't seem to mind.

However after some thought, I decided that I'm wrong. They can do whatever they want, it doesn't affect me. Sometimes I find myself getting caught in the ways of social conservatives, and I strongly dislike their ways. It's very easy to get into that sort of mentality if we're not careful. It can make well meaning people turn into hypocritical controlling tyrants.

Marriage in general is not all it's cracked up to be. Straight people by percentage are probably worse at it these days. It's true. Sometimes I wonder if it's enough to just be loyal to that one person you care about and just try to live a good life. But again, just my opinion. I'm really starting to have doubts about alot of stuff the last few weeks.

My apologies if I had offended anyone.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join