It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Gay Marriage" apparently not all it was cracked up to be

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Originally posted by L00kingGlass
reply to post by lost artistic

Ok I promised myself not to get involved with these hot button topics, but I can't resist! (Please mod don't hurt me.)

But let me just say one last thing: I have a gay friend, and my sister is gay. I've had this conversation with them many times, and they don't seem to mind.

However after some thought, I decided that I'm wrong. They can do whatever they want, it doesn't affect me. Sometimes I find myself getting caught in the ways of social conservatives, and I strongly dislike their ways. It's very easy to get into that sort of mentality if we're not careful. It can make well meaning people turn into hypocritical controlling tyrants.

Marriage in general is not all it's cracked up to be. Straight people by percentage are probably worse at it these days. It's true. Sometimes I wonder if it's enough to just be loyal to that one person you care about and just try to live a good life. But again, just my opinion. I'm really starting to have doubts about alot of stuff the last few weeks.

My apologies if I had offended anyone.
edit on 9-2-2012 by L00kingGlass because: (no reason given)

Well, that was an awfully quick turnaround, but I'm glad to hear it!

I was reminded of a story in the bible about "throwing stones". I'm ashamed of myself, and I feel horrible. I always complain about others being bad Christians, and look at me go. Ugh... I have alot of thinking to do.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by knoledgeispower

Why should homosexual couples not be allowed to call it a marriage?

What does it matter what they call it? Why does it matter so much to them as long as they can have it? Perhaps they are not willing to make a modest compromise. After al, since they view their stuff as special, to be treated in a special manner with special classes dedicated to promote it as if they were an endangered species to be protected at all costs (by the State), then why do they insist it has to be called the same thing as a traditionally defined marriage?

Why should they have to compromise? That means they somehow don't deserve the same rights. Why is this so hard for people to get? Is it just so straight people can maintain an air of superiority?
edit on 9-2-2012 by staver because: edited for quotations.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR

Originally posted by Rren

Gays [...] are incapable of childraising that meets the developmental needs of children.

Citation needed.

No citation needed. No child needs the inherent confusion or twisted nature of 'two mommys' or 'two daddys'. It is an act of oblivious selfishness.

What about a mommy alone, where daddy has died (or run off)? Does it confuse the child that he/she doesn't have a daddy? What about a mommy and a grandma? Does this confuse the child? What about just a grandpa?
There are many different families. All a child needs is to feel loved and safe - they'll turn out just fine.

link   

Originally posted by MathiasAndrew
If I marry my dog. Well then I should have the same rights as any other married couple right?

If not, why?

Stupid argument is really, really stupid.

The big difference between your wonderful analogy of marrying your computer or dog is that in the instance of gay marriage, everyone involved is still a human, and a legal citizen of the United States (if we're talking about civil policy in the U.S.)

You're conveniently leaving out the fact that gay people are people. So no, marrying your blow up doll wouldn't stand up to a court challenge. It's also an irrelevant, idiotic statement designed to make homophobic folks chuckle.

It's about the same as saying, "Adoption shouldn't be legal, 'cause God wanted a child to be raised by two natural parents. After all, what's stopping me from adopting my dog and claiming a tax credit?"

That makes no sense at all. Yet, there's quite a few people who see wisdom in your dog situation. I'm pretty sure that they're either stupid, or letting hate get in the way of rational thinking.

link   

Originally posted by staverYou are out of order, as it is not your place to say that calling a union between two members of the same sex a marriage drags down the rest of us.

If you are gay and I'm assuming you are... I am asking you to respect yourself, if you are different why would you want to be the same? It is not logical. Further, why would you ask others, who are different from you, to yield their ancient traditions to you? If that isn't out of order I don't know what is.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal
and yet for some reason you act like gays are a different species. or robots. incapable. right dude. right.

Homosexuality and hetrosexuality are fundamentally different concepts. Therefore they are incapable of the same relationships. Do you deny homosexual relationships are any different?

yes i do deny they are different. there is no difference between my love for my wife, and the love a gay man has for his significant other. love is love, it is a chemical reaction in our brains. it really sounds like you're trying to make the case that gays are not human.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by staverYou are out of order, as it is not your place to say that calling a union between two members of the same sex a marriage drags down the rest of us.

If you are gay and I'm assuming you are... I am asking you to respect yourself, if you are different why would you want to be the same? It is not logical. Further, why would you ask others, who are different from you, to yield their ancient traditions to you? If that isn't out of order I don't know what is.

If you wish to honor ancient traditions, then be prepared to honor them all and study some history. You may find things that will disturb you greatly based on your "apparent" mindset.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

No, I'm 50, been married 27 years, have two children, and am a Christian. You shouldn't assume.

edit on 9-2-2012 by staver because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

I'm making the case that humans are different and in unique groups. I'm making the case that difference is beautiful and in a healthy society it should be accepted - not shunned. For this reason, I will not support an unhealthy assertion of identity that takes the form of a vendetta against straight people and an attempt to seize on their words and traditions by force. This alone tells me enough to know gay activists are not interested in mutual respect.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

Sorry? Whose ancient traditions? Do you mean christians? or human beings? Homosexuals are most definately humans so if by human tradition of marriage, from who is this tradition yielded?

If you mean christians then I'm sorry but marriage has been around longer than them.

So exactly what is it you meant?

EDIT: Moderators, if you have a problem with the word 'homosexuals' I suggest a stong cup of tea and a good sit down.

edit on 9-2-2012 by Garfee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I'm making the case that humans are different and in unique groups. I'm making the case that difference is beautiful and in a healthy society it should be accepted - not shunned. For this reason, I will not support an unhealthy assertion of identity that takes the form of a vendetta against straight people and an attempt to seize on their words and traditions by force. This alone tells me enough to know gay activists are not interested in mutual respect.

The is no vendetta against straight people. Your logic is flawed, and I have better things to do than cast pearls before swine.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

what difference? that the chemicals in their brain respond to the same sex instead of opposite? unhealthy? you're a medical practitioner and have determined that this is unhealthy for them to love the same sex? please provide third party studies of this. what vendetta? it seems only fanatical far right christians have any problem with gays entering a legal contract, which is admittedly a personal viewpoint, and i'm not saying you are a fanatical far right christian.

tradition? marriage is no longer a tradition. it is a legal contract. see the establishment clause of the constitution, it clearly states religion has no say over any congressional law.
edit on 9-2-2012 by optimus primal because: clarified a sentence

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I am a Straight Male who lives in Mass....In fact...I am more than just a Straight Male...HELL...I am an ALPHA MALE...and I have no problem whatsoever with Gays getting Legally Married in my State nor do I care if anyone is Gay or Not.

The way I look at it is I don't like it when someone gets into MY buisness and I am sure no one like it when someone gets into THEIR BUISNESS...so what is the purpose of this topic?

One thing I do know is that people who decry Gays or Gay Marriage are all of a particular Mindset that I can easily identify and observe. You see...one of my jobs is Big on Observation of Human Behavior and you could say I am fairly an Expert on identiflying peoples capabilities, mental makeups, identification and sub-classification of particular group behaviors as they pertain to changes...enviromental, physical, mental state modification by group demands...etc...it is a LONG list. As it pertains to this posts subject....I can identify that there is a group of people out there that have an Huge Insecurity Issue as far as the existance of people different than them and what people fear the most are things they don't understand. Split Infinity

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Well I'm quite surprised at all the responses. The pro gay marriage crowd has made some good points but mostly they have just displayed their own bigotry and hypocrisy. They have also displayed a complete lack of respect for other people who disagree with them.

A person is considered Gay based on their sexual preference. I don't care how many people want to cry that being gay is not a choice, that they are born that way. The fact is no matter who gender you're attracted to who ever you decided to lay down and have sex with is still a choice.

Some people live their lives in celibacy and never have sex ever. Are these people also born that way?
What about polygamists, should they be allowed to marry multiple partners? And what about bi-sexual people, should they be allowed to marry two people, one of each sex?

I know it is a bit of a stretch to use the "marry my dog analogy" but it really isn't that far off. I'm not saying that a gay person is comparable to a dog in any way. What I am saying is some people are either born with different sexual preferences. Some people actually chose to sleep with animals and love them. Why doesn't the gay community defend their rights also? Why are they all so offended when someone wants to jump on the "I can marry who ever I want" bandwagon? I'll tell you why, they are just as judgmental, hypocritical, bigots as any one else who opposes their view.

This article many not be a typical case, but it shows what can happen when a gay couple raises a child of the opposite sex. I doubt this child would have the same gender identity issues if his parents had been two gay males or a straight couple. I'm sure it's possible but I doubt it.

Lesbian Parents allow 11 yr old boy to take hormone blockers

A lesbian couple in California are giving their 11-year-old son hormone blockers that delay the onset of puberty so that he can have more time to decide if he wants to change his gender, writes Perry Chiaramonte at Fox News. The treatment will delay the onset of puberty until Tommy — who now goes by the name Tammy — is 14 or 15, giving him more time to explore the female identity he has assumed,

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Well I'm quite surprised at all the responses. The pro gay marriage crowd has made some good points but mostly they have just displayed their own bigotry and hypocrisy. They have also displayed a complete lack of respect for other people who disagree with them.

There are many who disagree with homosexuality.

But - they understand and support Equal Rights. Now that is what Respect is all about.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MathiasAndrew

You brought out the big guns.

I wasn't going to... but well played!

Those parents should be lined up against a wall and shot.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

To be fair, Im not hung up on the name. I just believe that all should have the same rights. Perhaps marriage should be confined to religion, and the government uses Social Union to describe the same union for both hetero and homos sexual couples across the board. Win win. It is wrong to deny these people the same LEGAL rights, and most religious types would likely be satisfied as their marriage stays marriage with the churches deciding what marriage really is.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Well I do support equal rights.

Why don't gays support the rights of polygamists?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

A lesbian couple in California are giving their 11-year-old son hormone blockers that delay the onset of puberty so that he can have more time to decide if he wants to change his gender,

Sensationalizing a very involved and complicated situation.

LGBT - - are not a group think. Transgender is as foreign to Lesbians as it is to any straight person.

Perhaps you should educate yourself first.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

It's not about ancient traditions.

It's about modern legal rights.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join