It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venezuela threatens Britain over Falklands as its president vows to side with Argentina

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
all i want to say, is that its funny how some random guy starts making sums and throwing randoms numbers to state the malvinas belong to argentina.
I think its rather obvious, and clear to everyone that the kelpers wish to remain being british, disregard of any claims argentina may make, thats is what matters the most.
Im from argentina, and i couldnt care less for those smelly islands by our coasts.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Even the Argentine President has issues with her facts;

"It is an anachronism in the 21st century to still have colonies, there are only 16 cases in the world, of which 10 are British and we've seen in recent days how the Spanish claim regarding Gibraltar has been renewed."

16 cases?... Not even close if you look past the bureaucratic technicalities.

It's only because France made most of theirs 'Overseas Departments' and The Netherlands added theirs as 'Constituent Countries' or 'Special Municipalities'.

There's dozens more places that are still governed by other European nations, follow their laws, use their currencies and have the same rights as every other citizen back in the respective ruling country.

Should just make the Falklands, Bermuda, the Cayman's etc 'Overseas Counties' or some other politically suitable bs and let them have a representative in Westminster.

Hey Presto!... No longer considered colonies!

Odd that she brings Gibraltar up as well when Spain still has it's own (Canary Islands, plus Cueta & Melilla in Morocco)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
If the King of Spain all of a sudden had Argentina and many other countries giving themselves to his rule....to keep the British out.....

The Spanish Empire would rise again. And England would never be the same....English would dwindle as a language from the world drastically year after year.

Somebody said there's no relation politically between Israel-England....you better believe they are. They both have interests to keep the Spanish Empire from returning to grace.

England/Israel both must do something DRASTIC to fix Americas problem. If in 2020 the Latino's have a majority in America after 1/3rd of the US dies (Baby Boomers).......A Spanish Speaking America won't be to the liking of England/Israel.....

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
A very good article including the historical background and opposing cases for sovereignty of the Falklands done by the US Marine Corp Command and Staff College.

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by gabrielxxx
reply to post by michael1983l

Wow just wow really

Malvinas will become a rock in the middle of nowhere, the food its going to be tooooo expensive, no flys from the continent, etc

You'll do all this to those poor people who have been through enough already because they don't want to be part of Argentina? out of spite and jealousy? effectively you want to try and starve all those poor women & children to death? congratulations

Well you can try, all they need to do is fly the British flag then problem solved, they can then by law enter port, if the worst comes to the worst, one C130 transporter every few month with supplies, what makes you think it will become to expensive to maintain? we give 1 Billion a year in aid just to just India alone, so now we can't afford to support the 2000 islanders all of a sudden? i think someone's talking out there backside and needs to do some fact finding on the UK,

All of you are realize that latin america is growing like never before???? Brazil now is bigger than the UK in economy... And Brazil have a lot of comerce with Argentina and our goverments are realy close friends... Meanwhile USA and Europe are on their worst economical situation and this is only the beggining ...

While Brazil's GDP is but .1% that of the UK i don't see what this has anything to do with it you are desperately desperately clutching at straws now my friend, so much so it has become just utter cringe to read your irrelevant nonsense posts,

So what if you're friends with a nation that has .1% more GDP then the UK, were friends with WAY MORE nations, commonwealth? the US & NATO get a grip will you, if you think any of your SA friends bother us in the slightest you my friend are having a laugh, even if they all backed you militarily we'd have allies to, you think they'll back you militarily? we could deal with all of you ourselves, Brazil's military is nothing to worry about and your is none extant, i doubt they would be willing to front there military & lose it all for you my friend,

When will you realise NONE OF YOU have a good up to date Navy/Air force which is of any real concern, it is absolutely essential to assaulting/securing those island 200miles out in the south Atlantic, and many thousands of miles from Brazil, that leaves Brazil's navy easy pickings for our many many subs & nuclear subs, and under constant attacks from the many island airbases in the north & south Atlantic? i doubt much would get down there to help you and that's the truth of it all, just 1 type 45 destroyer is enough to repel you, when you understand what your up against military wise and what it will take to win, you'll realise its not happening,

MERCOSUR is a joke, Lets consider Brazil backed you militarily, if the US/Canada/Aussies/Anzacks NATO or one of the many other close friends/allies didn't then get involved id be very very surprised, half the world is not going to go to war over them islands, especially when they're rightfully ours and under UN law rightfully ours, AND YOU CALL US WAR MONGERS? LOL get a grip kiddo, you haven't got a clue

The US/UK/EU maybe in finical hardship right now but the rest of the world is in far far worst a state especially you, you fail to understand its a global recession, global meaning every nation on the globe is affected, ok got it? and... don't get your hopes up, the military's of the western world are a million times that of the rest of the world, what ever your thinking its not happening,

So they bring here that ship, to fearmonger the others latin countries. They start saying that they will take down all bussiness agreements with Uruguay, Brasil, Paraguay, etc... But this doesnt work. So they send this ship...

HOW MANY TIMES? its routine, the ship is relapsing another that is finishing its 6month tour, Christ all mighty, only your government is spinning it as a threat and scare tactic to get you sheeple up in arms, dam you must be all brain dead if you think were going to attack you,

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by gabrielxxx

Originally posted by clitty
reply to post by gabrielxxx

I'm not an advocate of war in general, but you're taking the piss with this #. Also it reminds other countries that we are not to be #ed with. If we let you have The Falklands, how long will it be before the french want The Channel Islands back, What about The Isle of Man, Isle of Wight etc?

So thats the problem! What happen if you have to start to get back all the things that you stealed from others! hehehe!
Maybe it's time to start! Who knows!
I know that the spanish ppl dont feel good with you there in gibraltar.... So why are you still there? You don't even want to be part of europe, but you keep that land that is not yours!
Don't you realize that you are the bullies!
Why you have to stay here?
You try two times before the nvasions of the islands to invade Buenos Aires. And the ppl say NOOO! the first time... And then you come back a year later.... The ppl again said NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to you... But you come back in 1833 and invade the islands...
AND NOW YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT WHAT THE PPL FROM THE ISLAND WANT????
I think that the ppl who was at the island in 1832 neither want a english goverment.
So why you still talking about the occupation of 1982, when you are the real invaders???
Your eyes are so closed...

OH FOR THE LOVE GOD, PLEASE READ THIS AND GO AWAY!!! PLEASE!!! PLEASE READ IT AND REMEMBER IT!!!

You do realise those islands was claimed & colonised by the British before 1833 right, yes?

The island was also abandoned during the war of independence in (1775–1783) but never denounced as British to which we returned a few short years later

you are the ones that nvaded first! Thats the thing you are not understanding!!! The island were occupied!!! And you illegally take them in 1833..

OK then, please read some "real" history corroborative history with all nations involved,

The British first landed on the Falklands in 1690, when Captain John Strong sailed through Falkland Sound, naming this passage of water after Anthony Cary, 5th Viscount of Falkland, the First Lord of the Admiralty at that time. The British were keen to settle the islands, as they had the potential to be a strategic naval base for passage around Cape Horn.[8] In 1765, Captain John Byron landed on Saunders Island. He then explored other islands' coasts and claimed the group for Britain. The following year, Captain John McBride returned to Port Egmont, on Saunders, to construct a fort. The British later discovered the French colony at Port Saint Louis, and the first sovereignty dispute began

A picture here if you struggle with reading to

Argentina argues that the islanders do not have the right to self-determination

Well unfortunately for you pesky Argies...

Self-determination is the principle in international law that nations have the right to freely choose their sovereignty and international political status with no external compulsion or external interference. The principle does not state how the decision is to be made, or what the outcome should be, whether it be independence, federation, protection, some form of autonomy or even full assimilation.[1] Neither does it state what the delimitation between nations should be — or even what constitutes a nation. In fact, there are conflicting definitions and legal criteria for determining which groups may legitimately claim the right to self-determination.[2] Moreover, self-determination is just one of many principles applied to determining international borders.[3]

Now run along, chop chop

edit on 8-2-2012 by BRITWARRIOR because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dhimmie

Originally posted by blueorder
reply to post by gabrielxxx

just give Argentina back to the natives/indigenous, or rather, the descendents of those who were left alive before moralising about dubious claims over the Falklands

Now this guy is spot on.
2nd line

Agreed give all of the Americas back to the native Indians, and you Spanish please return home

There was no natives when we colonised the Falklands so i guess that means we give them back to the penguins or keep them if they can't communicate

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Terrible news! Kirchner will file a complaint to the UN Security Council about our 'militarisation' of our own territory.

... You know, that UN Security Council that we sit on as a big hairy veto-wielding permanent member.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soshh
Terrible news! Kirchner will file a complaint to the UN Security Council about our 'militarisation' of our own territory.

... You know, that UN Security Council that we sit on as a big hairy veto-wielding permanent member.

She will get laughed out of the place, and told to stop wasting time

She really is dumb that Mrs Kirchner, a real political troll, and lets be honest here, it is now more then obvious its just a PR stunt from Mrs Kirchner just to get another term and to get the sheeple jumping, just like our little uneducated troll friend in here with his memory span of a goldfish,

Since when was you not aloud to swap ships on duty patrol in your own waters?

There stupidity makes me sick

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by BRITWARRIOR

It isn't clear how an air-defence ship "poses a grave danger to international security" regardless of how bloody brilliant it is supposed to be.

It would most certainly pose a grave danger to their crap air force next time they fancy a go, although they claim to have entirely dismissed the idea in favour of ostensibly 'diplomatic' options such as making life hell for the islanders and harassing fishermen. The islanders are withering away in the face of their crippling banana embargo.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   

She's basically angry that we have some sort of military there protecting it. If we didn't, they wouldn't hesitate to try and take it again.

There would be no doubt the British public would back retaking the islands if it ever came to it. I think a lot of people would think it as a more worthwhile cause than all the stirring we've been doing in the middle east recently.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by BRITWARRIOR

It isn't clear how an air-defence ship "poses a grave danger to international security" regardless of how bloody brilliant it is supposed to be.

It would most certainly pose a grave danger to their crap air force next time they fancy a go, although they claim to have entirely dismissed the idea in favour of ostensibly 'diplomatic' options such as making life hell for the islanders and harassing fishermen. The islanders are withering away in the face of their crippling banana embargo.

Maybe they're trying to spin it as an aggression towards Argentine because of the fact the Type45 could hit targets from the Falklands on mainland Argentina, whose knows, i'm sure the UN are an intelligent bunch, and will no doubt quickly come to the conclusion that Mrs Kirchner an annoying cry baby and once again wasting all there time, its quite funny to see them fail on both fronts, for a diplomatic solutions as well as military one, they really are a nation of fail.

All the Falklanders have to do is switch to a union flag upon entering port, its quite simple to get around there silly banana embargo really, i think its all rather hilarious how they somehow think they'll eventually starve them to death and the UK will struggle eventually to support them when they run out of bananas, thus leading to having to give them up, especially when we give billions in aid yearly to Africa & India, oh wow what a great idea

Our little friend in here truly believes its a cunning & masterful plan devised by his clever overlords

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueInstinct
She's basically angry that we have some sort of military there protecting it. If we didn't, they wouldn't hesitate to try and take it again.

While I do not doubt this at all, I believe that the real issue as they see it is that us deploying a brand new shiny Destroyer to the Falklands is an indication of our commitment to not only defending the islands but remaining there indefinitely. That if we were planning on retracting our claim any time soon then we would not be sending our newest, most advanced bit of kit down there.

It also highlights the fact that the playing field is not exactly level in this dispute.

There would be no doubt the British public would back retaking the islands if it ever came to it. I think a lot of people would think it as a more worthwhile cause than all the stirring we've been doing in the middle east recently.

It is quite refreshing to be able to take the moral high ground for once, isn't it? Especially on a board where Britain is often mentioned in the same sentence as "warmongers" or "Zionist imperialist monsters" et cetera.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Personally i think the thing that angers them most today, is the fact there is lots of oil there now, and we are soon to start drilling for it, they feel it should be theres and this angers them, secondly, the fact that the brand new type45 has entered the waters, meaning they cannot once again even begin to consider an invasion/attack of sorts to disrupt the works & construction project

In 1982 They felt, simply because they're 200miles away and a few thousand miles from the UK, they should be there islands, and just ignored all facts/history, as they continue to do so today,

They probably they should today belonged to the native south Americans since there is evidence of ancient seal hunter settlements there thousands of years ago, but uninhabited for hundreds of year prior to our arrival, they are very remote and baron it would have been tough living out there for anyone, but the fact Argentina is a Spanish colony born from the ashes and mass genocide committed on the SA continent by the Spanish, makes things different, i think the Argies believe they have lived there throughout time or something?, so.. therefore the Falkland is our colony and has been so before Argentina was a break away Spanish colony, its like Canada asking for the USA back because they become a nation after they was one, makes sense huh? simply because they are a colony with a larger land mass, what? why is it so hard for them to get to grips with,

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Catch the last line of this year old article from
news.smh.com.au...

He said Obama would not visit Argentina because "it won't buy arms or even sign a defence agreement."

The 'he' is Argentine Foreign Minister Hector Timerman.

I can only speculate as to why they would not buy arms from the US. Don't want them, can't afford them or don't care for the US to know what they have? I'll bet they won't buy any from the French either.

So..... if Argentina is on the outs with the US will our ally (some say lapdog) the UK and US stage a false flag operation to start something. It would be easier if done with the same model of weapon as one acquired from the US.

Stranger things have happened. My advice to all foreign governments is that the US is the absolute least trustworthy. If you sleep with dogs you get fleas.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Scottoffee

"It is an anachronism in the 21st century to still have colonies, there are only 16 cases in the world, of which 10 are British and we've seen in recent days how the Spanish claim regarding Gibraltar has been renewed."

Round of applause for the incredibly stupid Mrs Kirchner, That is just fantastic isn't it?, especially when they're the ones trying to be all imperialistic whilst attempting to forcefully remove & colonise an already populated island,

As for Gibraltar, it was a deal done with the Spanish government many many years ago, the people of Gibraltar also wish to remain governed and part of British over sea territory's, that is there right, and international law, and as of the last vote 100% voted to remain, so until they themselves wish to leave, or the international laws change, they to will remain British, i think if Gibraltar was ever to be given back to Spain ignoring these laws, it would have a domino affect, many many islands would also have to be handed back such as the canary island Spain owns, so i guess its what they want/matters most here, the Canary Island or Gibraltar. if the case be they want them both, i can see mi6 going into Morocco to drum up some support for a claim

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueInstinct

While I do not doubt this at all, I believe that the real issue as they see it is that us deploying a brand new shiny Destroyer to the Falklands is an indication of our commitment to not only defending the islands but remaining there indefinitely. That if we were planning on retracting our claim any time soon then we would not be sending our newest, most advanced bit of kit down there.

It also highlights the fact that the playing field is not exactly level in this dispute.

It is quite refreshing to be able to take the moral high ground for once, isn't it? Especially on a board where Britain is often mentioned in the same sentence as "warmongers" or "Zionist imperialist monsters" et cetera.

Yes I think thats it. They realise that we aren't going anywhere and they aren't going to be given the opportunity to take them again.

They know their best (only) chance would be to take, hold and reinforce before we recover a carrier air capability.

They've done the operational analysis and they know that even now its a non starter. This is sour grapes.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

There is no way argentina would even think of taking the islands again. i dont think we have enough fuel to send some aircrafts to those islands, let alone aircrafts.
This speech kirchner gave was all a charade, I mean out of the blue she started saying the UK wants to militarize this whole situation. Thats typical of this goverment, inventing threats where there are none, they tend to victimize themselves, and play some sort of maniqueism game where they always happen to be the good guys. Ive seen it a million times, they are quite good at it.
just check her speech, shes talking as if the UK said they were about to nuke buenos aires or something like that, and then she comes out saying, 'we are all about peace', wtf? we are not even close to a war.

I mean i dont care much when they do that with the media, or the unions here in Argentina. But I feel really ashamed when they go out and start talking crap and making up threats in the internatinal scenario, they make us look as a bunch of douchebags.
edit on 8-2-2012 by payta because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by payta

"....inventing threats where there are none,...."

Did they learn that from Bush and Cheney?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Is she still babbling on?

The UN will laugh at her babbling remarks, she keeps talking about us militarising OUR island, yet the words xenophobia and generalisation seem not to have entered her vocabulary yet.

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join