It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venezuela threatens Britain over Falklands as its president vows to side with Argentina

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

I agree. MAYBE slightly damaged and a touchup paint job at sea but that does not seem anything to be ashamed of and worth hiding.

I have never encountered an account of FIVE Exocets. Most sources detail 3 with 2 ships sunk and one damaged. One said 2 were fired at the Exeter, one missed and hit the Atlantic Conveyor and the other was taken out by a 4.5 inch from the Avenger (lucky shot) or a Seadart from the Exeter. The only count of five says there were 2 land based and gives not account if the second of those was fired.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Our president just told that Argentina is not going to enter in this game.
We the peopple from Argentina, dont want a war for the islands.
Send all ships you want to distract the ppl from what is coming there...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabrielxxx

And HOW was it formed?

You proud of your bloody, violent, Spanish roots?

Or is that irrelevant when you attack the British?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Since we're all brushing up on our History lessons, I'm sure our Argentinian/ Spanish friends would like to know a little about their own history?

People of Spanish heritage born in Latin America were not participating in government the way that people of British heritage had been in Britain's colonies. Criólles (those born in America claiming pure Spanish blood) were living under the more authoritarian tradition of the Spaniards. The Church and its Inquisition were dominated by Spaniards. So too was the military in Latin America. The families of Spain's officials enjoyed their authority and higher status.

www.fsmitha.com...

A turning point for Latin America was Napoleon's move into Spain and Portugal. From 1808 to 1814, Napoleon held Spain's king, Ferdinand VII, captive. With this, to the Criollos, Spanish authorities in Latin America appeared to be agents of the French. Criollo of both liberal and conservative persuasion formed committees (juntas) that declared their loyalty to King Ferdinand -- believed by some to be their divinely chosen authority. On May 25, 1810, a junta in Argentina claimed rule on behalf of Ferdinand VII. A junta in Santiago (Chile) declared independence on September 18, 1810, and in Acuncion (Paraguay) independence was declared on May 14, 1811. A junta in Caracas (Venezuela) declared independence on July 5, 1811, and independence was declared also in La Paz (Bolivia) and in New Grenada (Colombia). And fighting erupted between Spanish authorities in Latin America and those associated with the juntas.

--

The situation went quickly downhill. As things began to fall apart, many parts of the Inca Empire revolted, some of them joining with the Spanish against their own rulers. Many kingdoms and tribes had been conquered or persuaded to join the Inca empire. They thought that by joining the Spaniards, they could gain their own freedom. But these native people never foresaw the massive waves of Spaniard immigrants coming to their land and the tragedy that they would bring upon their people.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I'm beginning to think you are a troll.

You are ignoring all evidence given to you.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by gabrielxxx

and how did it form, was it out of a barren landscape or where people displaced and many killed

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Everyone needs to calm down and look at: en.wikipedia.org...

Argentina does not have a claim to the islands in any way shape or form.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

And HOW was it formed?

You proud of your bloody, violent, Spanish roots?

Or is that irrelevant when you attack the British?

Like many other nations.... But with a funny thing. After the second english invasion (1807) our virrey (a kind of king for the Rio de La Plata, so old fashioned... like the queen of england...) try to scape from Buenos Aires with all the money of the Virreynato, thinking that the english will won the battle. After the virreynato won the battle goes to capture wirrey cisneros. And the ppl start to talk about independence. We don't have an independence war like you think... Spain was in a declive and cant affort any more the virreynato.... Like its going to happen with malvinas, Uk is way down... The pound its too expensive and the half of the jobs are in hands of indus. And the malvinas are getting a big cost for the british empire...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

I'm not an advocate of war in general, but you're taking the piss with this #. Also it reminds other countries that we are not to be #ed with. If we let you have The Falklands, how long will it be before the french want The Channel Islands back, What about The Isle of Man, Isle of Wight etc?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Thats Lord Nelson, son.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

I'm beginning to think you are a troll.

You are ignoring all evidence given to you.

Im not a troll kid..
And you are ignoring everything i said...
You still think that Argentina here is the agressor, and you are totally wrong...
Like I told, Argentina doesnt want a war. We dont have an army. Our goverment is totally against the military. Please, check how the pictures of the dictatorials presidents were removed from the casa rosada. Chack how many of the mlitary instalations in argentina are now museums... Our goverment is against any kind of agression...
The goverment from 1982 was supported by the Counsil of Foreing Relationships of USA, they took the power by force. They kill 30000 persons, and there were most university students...
This was part of a plan made by the CIA to put military goverments all along south america... They used these goverments to give us loans that wll never could pay. That was the way that these nations make us slaves and take the economic control of our countries.... All the economics ministries from all south american countries went to school of las americas. USA put always the person in charge in ur countries.
It's well known that the States told to the juntas that if they go to war with england they will support us...
It was all made up!
And now that we've got a goverment who represent us, the lies start. All from the tv...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by clitty

I'm not an advocate of war in general, but you're taking the piss with this #. Also it reminds other countries that we are not to be #ed with. If we let you have The Falklands, how long will it be before the french want The Channel Islands back, What about The Isle of Man, Isle of Wight etc?

Hold on a minute here! The Isle of Wight has not been French since the Norman Conquest (1066 and all that) when all of England was Norman.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan

Hold on a minute here! The Isle of Wight has not been French since the Norman Conquest (1066 and all that) when all of England was Norman.

We don't talk about that.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

So thats the problem! What happen if you have to start to get back all the things that you stealed from others! hehehe!
Maybe it's time to start! Who knows!
I know that the spanish ppl dont feel good with you there in gibraltar.... So why are you still there? You don't even want to be part of europe, but you keep that land that is not yours!
Don't you realize that you are the bullies!
Why you have to stay here?
You try two times before the nvasions of the islands to invade Buenos Aires. And the ppl say NOOO! the first time... And then you come back a year later.... The ppl again said NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to you... But you come back in 1833 and invade the islands...
AND NOW YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT WHAT THE PPL FROM THE ISLAND WANT????
I think that the ppl who was at the island in 1832 neither want a english goverment.
So why you still talking about the occupation of 1982, when you are the real invaders???
Your eyes are so closed...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

just give Argentina back to the natives/indigenous, or rather, the descendents of those who were left alive before moralising about dubious claims over the Falklands

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Gentlemen. I was just trying to make a point how easy it is to spiral into absolutely senseless and unreasonable points of views with a little prodding.....no wonder we have wars all over the place.

And yes the USA my country has dragged us into senseless and futile wars based on lies propagated by the neocons who hold sway over our congress.....but ....that is just a poor excuse since we the people elected them....so if the average American would pay a little more attention to things that matter in life rather than watching idiotic reality tv shows we may eventually get around to firing and retiring for good the bastards that sold us a pack of lies.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Your eyes are so closed...

So are yours.

You do not even want to consider what REAL history is, you only want to spout out the Argentinian version of it.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

just give Argentina back to the natives/indigenous, or rather, the descendents of those who were left alive before moralising about dubious claims over the Falklands

Now this guy is spot on.
2nd line

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

reply to post by michael1983l

like I told you from that 3000 ppl, the half are latin americans working for english companyes and they dont leave there.... they go there to work for a season.
from the 1500, the half are military spending seasons there...
So you only have 700 kelpers... and the half are from another islands... only 50 families lives there...
Are you reading wath im posting or are you going to re ask everything??
Let me know your thouhgts about the two english invasions against argentinean continent before the invasion of the islands
And the self determination thing,,,, was before 1833.... and 1832 like i told you was ocupied by spanish...

Not sure where you're getting your numbers from.

I went to Peter Symonds College in the UK and we had a boarding house dedicated to Falkland Islanders that wished to complete their 6th Form/A-Level studies in the UK (Grades 11 & 12).

Falkland Lodge had been set up so that they could come over to the UK and pay little/no boarding fees whilst benefitting from a better standard of education.

I was a boarder at one of the other houses, so spent a lot of time with some of them over the course of the 2 years.

I can tell you right now that none of them wanted to cede from the UK and had very little positive to talk about regarding Argentina.

There are many more than your '50 families' living there.

A quick look at the Falkland Islands Gov't website has a link from their 2006 census.

Military personnel are not included in their figure of 2562 residents - of which 90% claim British birth or descent.

Quite where you're pulling 700 from, I'm not quite sure... I have my suspicions, but I'm not about to get myself banned.

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join