It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venezuela threatens Britain over Falklands as its president vows to side with Argentina

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Link

‘The issue of the Malvinas Islands is an issue that concerns us, especially with the strong language that has emerged from the British Government, accusing Argentina of being colonialist,’ Mr Chavez said at the meeting in Caracas. ‘I’m speaking only for Venezuela, but if it occurs to the British empire to attack Argentina, Argentina won’t be alone this time.’

It appears yet more aggression and sabre ratling from the south america's and not suprising coming from Venezuela. I believe it is starting to get to a stage now where the UK are going to have to flex their muscles in a warning to any of those countries that want to continue to threaten the Falkland Islands choosen soverignty. This may be an ideal time to test out our new Type 45 Destroyers, Astute Class nuclear submarines and the Eurofighter Typhoon.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
That would be like Romania joining in with Norway for possession of Shetland. Irrelevant and at best a futile gesture.

I still maintain this is just South American politicians trying to make themselves look like they are doing something instead of sorting their own economic mess out. Give the population a distraction, "Hey, look over there!".

I highly doubt the Venezuelan population would be in agreement if it did come to war, i doubt they want their armed forces eradicated too.

No offence to anyone from the nations mentioned above.
edit on 6/2/2012 by ThorsBrother because: Corrections

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Surely it is a coincidence, but seems like there are too many winds of war recently.
Chavez has been visited recently by the (impossible name) iranian president, and he is too much full of him now.

...Don't take me wrong, this does not mean anything, i just pointed out the coincidence

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Wow. The world is openly forming two teams.

Rebels vs Imperialists.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
The thing is that you could argue wars like Iraq and Afghanistan had suspect motives. However the UK has every right to defend those Islands and given the remotness I would say an attack on them would justify a tatical nuclear response.

There is just no argument as far as I can see, the Falkland people want to remain masters of their own destiny and that should be the end of it. The UN could have put a lid on this a long time ago by ruling that the Islands have their right to self determination, but they expect Britain to negotiate away the Islanders soverignty instead.

At the minute I can't see any other way out other than a show of force by the UK. A mass exercise down there should do the trick.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
England needs to quit with the colony crap and mind its own business, leave those islands to the South Americans to manage.. if the Islands were parked off Englands shores I'd say they have a claim, but they are half a world away. Is England that petty it must fight over tiny pieces of land? Apparently so.. shameful.

+21 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrecogPsychicSensitive
England needs to quit with the colony crap and mind its own business, leave those islands to the South Americans to manage.. if the Islands were parked off Englands shores I'd say they have a claim, but they are half a world away. Is England that petty it must fight over tiny pieces of land? Apparently so.. shameful.

Shameful, what allowing the Islanders to choose their own soverignty. That makes us colonialists does it, letting the people choose to be part of our nation. I suppose Argentina forcing their rule on those people doesn't make them colonialist though?

Mind our own business? It is our Business, the government of the Falkland Islands have asked our protection against their Argentinian oppressors.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
The thing is that you could argue wars like Iraq and Afghanistan had suspect motives. However the UK has every right to defend those Islands and given the remotness I would say an attack on them would justify a tatical nuclear response.

There is just no argument as far as I can see, the Falkland people want to remain masters of their own destiny and that should be the end of it. The UN could have put a lid on this a long time ago by ruling that the Islands have their right to self determination, but they expect Britain to negotiate away the Islanders soverignty instead.

At the minute I can't see any other way out other than a show of force by the UK. A mass exercise down there should do the trick.

You really are a war pig arent you? It doesnt matter if its killing Iranians or any other group threatened by Israel, your there defending the upcoming slaughter and promoting war...You must take pleasure in the death of human beings..

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

So to protect the lives of a few sheep herders, your willing to Nuke South America. Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just bring the islanders back rather than kill millions of people for the sake of your national pride.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by PrecogPsychicSensitive

What has Israel got to do with this? I couldn't give two hoots about Israel and neither does the majority of the UK population. It is only Americans and the Middle East Muslims that think there is some sort of Zionist conspiracy. Israel has no political influence over the UK at all.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

So to protect the lives of a few sheep herders, your willing to Nuke South America. Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just bring the islanders back rather than kill millions of people for the sake of your national pride.

Is that a joke?

You really expect the UK to uproot a whole Race just because Argentina has decided it has a right to a set of Islands 200 miles off its shoreline. despite the fact no argentinians have ever really lived there.

I think I like the look of your house, now to stop any nastiness and fighting could you just kindly move out so I can move in?
edit on 6-2-2012 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

You must have misread the part where Michael said that Iraq and Afghanistan had 'suspect motives' and that this is basically a different kettle of fish for the British. This is our land, always will be! If the Falklanders said to the British Government that they didn't want to be part of Britain anymore we would not stop them from leaving our nation.

But as it goes they do want to remain British and i mean 100% of them.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Why should we? If you had been brought up and raised on an island and then been told YOU have to pack up shop for Argentinian pride?! Nobody wishes a repeat of war I agree. It is all too easy to see the UK as a big bad monster in these situations but in reality we are just looking after our own!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Shameful, what allowing the Islanders to choose their own soverignty. That makes us colonialists does it, letting the people choose to be part of our nation. I suppose Argentina forcing their rule on those people doesn't make them colonialist though?

Mind our own business? It is our Business, the government of the Falkland Islands have asked our protection against their Argentinian oppressors.

Please England... come down and start a huge war that will contaminate and destroy these islands ASAP!

I have read all about the history of those Islands.. its time England backed off... enough blood has already been spilt over a scrappy bunch of worthless islands.. oh wait.. did they discover oil? let the UN deal with it... you seem to like UN justice most of the time.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Well if they consider themselves British then, surely being in their homeland of Britain would be a better prospect than Nuking S.America and killing thousands of innocent women and children. Call me anti British all you want, but I dont want to see the death and destruction of thousands in a nuclear attack, for the sake of national pride.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Knights

We certainly would be the big bad monster if we unleashed nuclear weapons on another country. A very weak country at that.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

It is not England it is the UK you know, The United Kingdom of Great Britain. Anyway besides the point, if you had have read your history books you would know that enough generations of those people have lived on the Islands long enough to dispell any right to claim by anybody else. The UK has been protectorate over those Islands since well before we knew there was oil. Even so it will be the Islands government that profits from any oil reserves not the UK.

Why should a race be moved off an island they have been on for generations just because their next door neighbour lays claim to their land?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
The Islands were deserted (sp?) before British colonists moved in. From what I have read in the past, they are thier own people and system of government... What claim does either of those two have on it other than it's location? It does seem though that everyone is starting to have War on the agenda.

link   

What has Israel got to do with this? I couldn't give two hoots about Israel and neither does the majority of the UK population. It is only Americans and the Middle East Muslims that think there is some sort of Zionist conspiracy. Israel has no political influence over the UK at all.

Im calling you a war monger... not a bright one obviously. Ive seen you posting hatred against Arabs and promoting war against them, this is no different. Just another battlefield for you.. Nukes.. seriously?

link   

Please England... come down and start a huge war that will contaminate and destroy these islands ASAP!

I have read all about the history of those Islands.. its time England backed off... enough blood has already been spilt over a scrappy bunch of worthless islands.. oh wait.. did they discover oil? let the UN deal with it... you seem to like UN justice most of the time.

American by any chance?! Rather than judging the situation from the outside, imagine if it were you brought up on that island! Imagine if it belonged to the u.s, you had lived there since birth and now you would have to leave your house and possessions that you had worked hard for because another country (which is quite frankly beating it's chest) has decided they want to 'reclaim' it?!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join