It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

West Coast USA: Pay Attention, Cascadia May Be Ready to Rupture

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
It looks like PNSN/USGS added another quake from this morning. Looks to be in the locked zone, or just below it.

Mag 2.1 2012/02/16 13:19:30 44.875 -125.102 20.9km 82 km ( 51 mi) W of Depoe Bay, OR

Source

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

you may have already seen this or maybe not.

I am NOT saying it is true or has been verified, i am just saying it was similar and thought you should see it.

Strange metal boxes are popping up on beaches all around the world and some investigators are claiming that they may be the cause of the strange sounds worldwide. What are they?

Ground Central for the phenomenon is now a string of beaches along the Oregon coast, in particular at Bray's Point, where local residents, paranormal researchers and media investigators have seen some of these strange metal boxes and are speculating where they may be coming from and, more ominously, what they may be for.

In fact, a local Oregon radio show called, appropriately enough, Ground Zero Radio, is close enough to that beach that they were able to send out a reporter to investigate and found one of the boxes in question.

Witnesses claim the boxes emit a strange hum and that a strange blue light emanates from some of them.

Also they say that the boxes are wedged solidly into the beach and not even a truck with a tow chain can pull them out of the sand.

Of course this leads to speculation that the boxes are causing the strange sounds heard worldwide. The basic idea is that UFOs and aliens are behind these devices and are either trying to send a message or are using the boxes for some secret purpose not yet revealed.

news.gather.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

This is a common pattern in the southern CSZ. Ripples and fans. These larger ones ripple southeast to northwest \ while smaller tremors radiate ripple wise from the southwest to the northeast / from the MTJ.

It gives an idea of what the bigger boys are doing to poor little Gorda, pushing it down and twisting it clockwise at the same time.

Feb 10 from TA above and most recent from PNSN. (Thanks TA)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by dmonkey

Thor's Hammer?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I just posted this at quake watch but good for here too.

Me being autistic I think in pictures most times. And I have to convert graphs into visualizations. This is quakes over a long period of time (100 years?) in the CSZ.

It shows the pressure being exerted from all these quakes into the CSZ which is damn near void of large quakes. Both ends are at the maximum stress point. and the CSZ being what it is, a rupture at one end could travel until it releases the pressure at the other end.

It is especially true in the southern end where the quakes are a result of the northwestward moving San Andreas crunching the Gorda against the JDF and into the N American. These large quakes have only placed greater stress on two key areas, the area where the recent series was, the interface between Gorda and JDF; and the area where Gorda is locked on it's northern edge.with the N American

edit on 16-2-2012 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmonkey

you may have already seen this or maybe not.

I am NOT saying it is true or has been verified, i am just saying it was similar and thought you should see it.

Strange metal boxes are popping up on beaches all around the world and some investigators are claiming that they may be the cause of the strange sounds worldwide. What are they?

Ground Central for the phenomenon is now a string of beaches along the Oregon coast, in particular at Bray's Point, where local residents, paranormal researchers and media investigators have seen some of these strange metal boxes and are speculating where they may be coming from and, more ominously, what they may be for.

In fact, a local Oregon radio show called, appropriately enough, Ground Zero Radio, is close enough to that beach that they were able to send out a reporter to investigate and found one of the boxes in question.

Witnesses claim the boxes emit a strange hum and that a strange blue light emanates from some of them.

Also they say that the boxes are wedged solidly into the beach and not even a truck with a tow chain can pull them out of the sand.

Of course this leads to speculation that the boxes are causing the strange sounds heard worldwide. The basic idea is that UFOs and aliens are behind these devices and are either trying to send a message or are using the boxes for some secret purpose not yet revealed.

news.gather.com...

Yes, Westcoast knows this. . .as does anyone who's been on ATS in the past two weeks.

Search. . there are at least seven threads about them.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by zworld

Well good day.

Let's hope it IS just that, and the two ends settle once again in peace. The overall seismicity does seem to support that it's just doing its usual thing. I just can't let those small ones on the right side of the zone out of my mind yet. Maybe if in a few more days nothing happens in the p path, I can get off this thread with some comfort.

Thanks for your comments z, always interesting to read.
And not that I don't appreciate everyone else's too, cause I do.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
reply to post by zworld

Well good day.

Let's hope it IS just that, and the two ends settle once again in peace. The overall seismicity does seem to support that it's just doing its usual thing. I just can't let those small ones on the right side of the zone out of my mind yet. Maybe if in a few more days nothing happens in the p path, I can get off this thread with some comfort.

Its funny that you and I are both focusing alot on the transition zone EQs. Dont know why I started to get interested in them but they are trying to tell us something I think. But what?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by zworld

reply to post by zworld

Well good day.

Its funny that you and I are both focusing alot on the transition zone EQs. Dont know why I started to get interested in them but they are trying to tell us something I think. But what?

Yeah, but if you notice on the quakes along the eastern side . . . the USGS has moved them farther out to the west now. So no quakes then on the inner fault, just the outer . . . or am I missing something?

earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 16-2-2012 by nonnez because: Link

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
This blurb is from an article found here interviewing Dr. John Nabelek, of Oregon State University, a lead researcher of the Blanco Tranform Fault zone.

...The Blanco Transform Fault Zone has triggered some 1,500 earthquakes over the past 40 years.
Back in 2008, the zone produced a swarm of 600 quakes over a ten-day period.

I'm glad I wasn't watching the USGS site as closely then, I would have been a nervous wreck.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by nonnez

You're right, nonnez.

This is so weird. That second quake was added to the USGS over 3 hours after it occurred, and when I checked the detail page at PNSN, they had the horizontal uncertainity under 2km---not 200km!

How could the triangulation for both the Mag 2.7 and the Mag 2.1 have been so far off?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The winner of todays slow slip sweepstakes is Redding CA posting 88 baby shakes. Way ta go Redding

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by nonnez

Yeah, but if you notice on the quakes along the eastern side . . . the USGS has moved them farther out to the west now.

I wish theyd stop doing that. Its hard enough mapping as you go. With USGS you have to remap repeatedly. grrrr

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
wait a minute. Do you guys mean to say that the little quakes north of Newport, damn near touching land, have become these two in the Big EQs block.
How do you go from transition zone to outside the locked zone. Thats too big a jump. Im gonna check other agencies. USGS is screwy if you ask me.

OH MY GOD CHECK THIS OUT

PNSN has also taken it one step further and put it as twp big quakes instead of one, just like they did briefly yesterday. WTF is going on.

edit on 16-2-2012 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

I just can't let those small ones on the right side of the zone out of my mind yet.

Well no problem TA. We'll just move them 200 km away from their original locations! There, how's that, see? No quakes to the right of the zone line any more. You happy now TA?

Umm, yeah. Guess so...

:shk:

This is whack. Whack whack WHACK.

A few miles maybe, but wtf is this now. 200 km away. Yeah right...

Did anyone happen to catch if they were reviewed prior to these epicenter moves?

Just for that, the Earth is going to get mad and slam them one, right up the kisser.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Mr. Vidale (PNSN Director) was saying as soon as these appeared that they were further West than that and they were working on getting them better located for USGS. I guess it's harder to locate them due to them being out at sea and the seismos obviously on land. It takes the human factor to nail it down. It's much nicer to see them as after shocks vs coming from the subduction zone. Convenient? Maybe.... but it makes sense for those to be aftershocks.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Has ANYONE ever seen anything like this before.

If you click on the event page it takes you to the same 6.0 over at USGS, but even though its the same quake, it has two different urls.

If this were right after the quake Id say they needed to get it together, and mostly they would. But this is some time after the fact. Everybody has had time to do a review. And after thorough review they've split it back to two quakes in the exact same spot one second apart. How does that happen?????

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by zworld

I don't have any earthquake background, but could it be some type of error/glitch with PNSN? When I go to USGS, it only reports the 6.0 quake on the map.
edit on 17-2-2012 by phoenixlights321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
This is the url to the EU quake agency. www.emsc-csem.org...

They have the quake as one 5.9 and I kinda trust this site. Plus they have much better location maps and thats very important. I mean, come on USGS. Im embarrassed for them. The first is EU, the second is USGS.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Thanks for this, WC. I just went to the FB group page and read where Mr. Vidale explained that the offshore quakes were "testing the interface" between PNSN's new software (new a few months ago) and the NEIC in Colorado.
So hopefully, they will get all of the kinks worked out in the coming weeks/months.

Checking the details page for the Mag 2.7 16Feb2012 00:07 UTC--this one is still giving them fits.
Version #7
Location quality: poor
horizontal uncertainty 26.7 km
depth uncertainty 31.61 km.
edit on 2/17/2012 by Olivine because: adding data

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join