It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

West Coast USA: Pay Attention, Cascadia May Be Ready to Rupture

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by AuntB
The USGS seems to be the site that is watched the most. What about this site. They have information that is so different at times. Is the anf a bogus site?

Oh noooooooo. Please don't post that site. Or you are going to have every nit wit there ever was claiming stuff that isn't true. That is a part of Earthscope, and those are UNCLEANED events. And thus, there is all kinds of mine blasts and other stuff that go on that appear on that list.

Please, everybody disregard that link. And that is the last question I will EVER answer in regards to an event seen on Earthscope's site. Not good. Not good at all.
Please edit that link out now, Auntie.
edit on Mon Feb 20th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
reply to post by zworld

"This is the area I am watching out for"

So it appears you are pointing to the left edge of the Gorda Plate, is that right? And I'm curious, why do you believe a precursor quake would strike there, six MONTHS out from a catastrophic rupture of the CSZ?

This is all speculation on my part of course but....

It goes back to the maps I posted earlier. The San Andreas/Pacific plate is compressing the Gorda into the JDF and N American plates and forcing it to rotate clockwise. All parts of the Gorda have experienced significant movement except for the circled area in the most recent map and the northern locked point with the N American, (which is also the southern locked point for the JDF and the N American).

This southwestern edge (circled area above) of the Gorda is literally free floating, being both compressed and pulled at the same time. Yet it hasnt budged in hundreds of years. The locked point may the glue that is holding the tectonics of the CSZ in place, but the southwest edge of Gorda is the precursor. I believe that it will start to release long held stress that will then force the locked point over the edge (no pun intended).

And when it does finally start to move get ready for more, cause once it starts to go it wont stop till the Gorda is free of the JDF and in its new resting place.

I also have a fascinating take on upcoming volcanic activity in N California that Ill put out there someday.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Done! I would look and compare the differences were very noticeable. Thanks for letting me know that that site should not be taken seriously.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by AuntB
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Done! I would look and compare the differences were very noticeable. Thanks for letting me know that that site should not be taken seriously.

AuntB,
The site is legitimate, and is not bogus at all. The problem is it lists everything! And so all those non seismic events become total confusion for the average viewer. Hell, they are total confusion for even us more experienced watchers! But the point is, you watch that list and all of a sudden a thousand questions come up about all sorts of things that have nothing to do with anything, and waste everyone's time. THANK YOU for the edit.

z, very interesting. Southwestern edge of the Gorda. Noted. Thanks!

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Magnitude
Date-Time
Monday, February 20, 2012 at 12:13:58 UTC
Monday, February 20, 2012 at 04:13:58 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Depth
9.9 km (6.2 miles)
Region
OFF THE COAST OF OREGON
Distances
236 km (146 miles) W of Coos Bay, Oregon
263 km (163 miles) WSW of Newport, Oregon
296 km (183 miles) NW of Brookings, Oregon
351 km (218 miles) WSW of SALEM, Oregon
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 17.4 km (10.8 miles); depth +/- 4.6 km (2.9 miles)
Parameters
NST= 84, Nph= 90, Dmin=298.3 km, Rmss=0.99 sec, Gp=241°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=6
Source
Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID
usb00082r2

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
woke up and saw a sizable 4.0 quake in missouri, hisz.rsoe.hu... and saw this post, this new member post may be something to look at, its dealing with madrid fault, would this trigger cascadia? Or would they blow madrid to stop cascadia? is this pre planned?

FEMA Friends Will Be Gone "For Some Time"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 21-2-2012 by N3v3rmor3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by N3v3rmor3

It's funny, but that is the very first thing I thought of when I saw this this morning.... I am in Memphis. However, I was sawing 20 logs at 4:20 am.

Hopefully it was just a little burp!

When I first read that thread I had an important question:

1) How in the world do they know that the fault is about to rupture? From what I understand, the USGS does not get into that earthquake prediction stuff
I think they do , they just do not make it public.

Or , question number two: Could they really be trying to cause a quake?.........No, that could not be. I must be suffering from paranoid ATSophrenia

edit on 21-2-2012 by radpetey because: (no reason given)

Ooops! Sorry guys and gals. I thought this was Quake watch.....a bit off topic

edit on 21-2-2012 by radpetey because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Interetsing stuff going on at the volcanoes. Im wondering if this is magma flow.

And these are recent waveforms for first hood and then rainer.
hood VLM
rainer STAR

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by zworld

Hey zworld

Both those volcanoes have been interesting to follow for the past few months. That said, those particular stations you posted are both currently suffering from winter season related difficulties-- STAR for at least the past 12-15 days if memory serves me, and that one from Mt. Hood even longer.
I follow RCS, RCM, L02, OBSR and FMW near Rainier, and HOOD, TIMB and TDH (Tom, Dick & Harry--I lurve it!) at Hood.

This past week, I read a good article posted in the Volcano watch thread (I'll go find a link...brb)Link...an d source of external text below
Anyway, the vulcanologist interviewed postulated that most of the activity under the volcano he was studying Uturunco) that occurs at sea level (similar to Rainier--check the depths on that PNSN map) was due to hydrothermal activity. Maybe this could be the same for Rainier? Here is the quote:

The seismicity is very shallow – near sea level and therefore much shallower than the inflation source. So it probably related to the changes in the hydrothermal system rather changes in any magma body.

edit on 2/23/2012 by Olivine because: add link.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
The Episodic Tremor and associated Slip is back. I guess it just needed a 2-day break.

Sheesh, Rainier is noisy, Mt. Hood is rumbling, and the subducting plate is grumbling (via the ETS). I don't know what it all means--except that we have access to excellent seismic data.

edit on 2/23/2012 by Olivine because: my crappy grammer and spelling

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Olivine
Anyway, the vulcanologist interviewed postulated that most of the activity under the volcano he was studying Uturunco) that occurs at sea level (similar to Rainier--check the depths on that PNSN map) was due to hydrothermal activity. Maybe this could be the same for Rainier?

Uturuncu is not covered by several glaciers, and that makes not the greatest apple for comparison's sakes, imo. But I suppose if you want to call icequakes hydrothermal activity, cause it's water frozen, I could almost vibe with that.

Except for the fact that frozen water's on top at Rainier, while the water is underneath at Uturuncu.

I think these guys are pretty clear at this point that Rainier's problem is icequakes. And so far, it doesn't appear to be a problem.

I was taught an important lesson today by my most respected source. There is no substitute for time when it comes to getting to know a volcano. Each one grunts and groans differently. Each instrument, as part of the overall monitoring system , is carefully flushed out for a year or more before they even declare a volcano "monitored". And after that, then the deeper studies continue. It is one reason that each volcano is best studied by a specific team. Or several. But all intensely focused on the volcano in question. For years! The unique environments specific to each volcano require this.
edit on Thu Feb 23rd 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Uturuncu is not covered by several glaciers, and that makes not the greatest apple for comparison's sakes, imo. But I suppose if you want to call icequakes hydrothermal activity, cause it's water frozen, I could almost vibe with that.

Except for the fact that frozen water's on top at Rainier, while the water is underneath at Uturuncu.

I think these guys are pretty clear at this point that Rainier's problem is icequakes. And so far, it doesn't appear to be a problem.

Oh TA, you're killing me.

I was referring to the tectonic, locateable earthquakes--under the volcano, lol. The ones listed here, at depths ranging from 2.2km to 6.6 km.
Not on the surface, but well above the estimated depth of a magma chamber (which I believe was most recently thought to be 10km deep...I'll have to search for where I read that).

Agreed on the apples to oranges regarding the lack of glacial cover at Uturuncu.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

reply to post by zworld

Hey zworld

Both those volcanoes have been interesting to follow for the past few months. That said, those particular stations you posted are both currently suffering from winter season related difficulties-- STAR for at least the past 12-15 days if memory serves me, and that one from Mt. Hood even longer.
I follow RCS, RCM, L02, OBSR and FMW near Rainier, and HOOD, TIMB and TDH (Tom, Dick & Harry--I lurve it!) at Hood.

This past week, I read a good article posted in the Volcano watch thread (I'll go find a link...brb)Link...an d source of external text below
Anyway, the vulcanologist interviewed postulated that most of the activity under the volcano he was studying Uturunco) that occurs at sea level (similar to Rainier--check the depths on that PNSN map) was due to hydrothermal activity. Maybe this could be the same for Rainier? Here is the quote:

The seismicity is very shallow – near sea level and therefore much shallower than the inflation source. So it probably related to the changes in the hydrothermal system rather changes in any magma body.

edit on 2/23/2012 by Olivine because: add link.

Thanks Olivine. Glad youre on top of this stuff up there.

Another question. Since the tremor activity yesterday was right in front of rainer, and the EQs are between magma flow and summit elevation, could this mean that magma is moving up column and heating up pockets of groundwater on the way, causing thermal seismicity.

Im going to keep an eye on the southern volcanoes. Magmatic eruptions can ruin a picnic everytime

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I was referring to the tectonic, locateable earthquakes--under the volcano, lol. The ones listed here, at depths ranging from 2.2km to 6.6 km.
Not on the surface, but well above the estimated depth of a magma chamber (which I believe was most recently thought to be 10km deep...I'll have to search for where I read that).

And here is Mt hood yesterday. What I dont understand is why isnt this considered tremor activity and show up on the tremor maps. Its all in the 6km range which might explain it but still...?

Some more on Hood. Notice how the shakes are following a line up to the cone.

Last 3 days at hood

edit on 24-2-2012 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by zworld

And here is Mt hood yesterday. What I dont understand is why isnt this considered tremor activity and show up on the tremor maps. Its all in the 6km range which might explain it but still..

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk or anything, but do you understand the difference between regular quakes and the ones being recorded on the tremor map? The deep tremors are NOT regular earthquakes. They are very slow events taking place over minutes/hours vs seconds. It is like a very, very slow grind vs a sharp crack and are happening at a deep depth (hence, whithin the subducting plates) so are NOT felt at the surface.

The reason the quakes at Hood are not on the tremor map is because they are NOT deep tremors, but regular earthquakes.
edit on 24-2-2012 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by zworld

And here is Mt hood yesterday. What I dont understand is why isnt this considered tremor activity and show up on the tremor maps. Its all in the 6km range which might explain it but still...?

It isn't considered tremor activity because they are all mostly

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Another question. Since the tremor activity yesterday was right in front of rainer, and the EQs are between magma flow and summit elevation, could this mean that magma is moving up column and heating up pockets of groundwater on the way, causing thermal seismicity.

Im going to keep an eye on the southern volcanoes. Magmatic eruptions can ruin a picnic everytime

I don't think anyone can say with absolute certainty what is causing the current swarm; it could be hydrothermal, but the experts don't think so. I'm going to trust their judgement.

The swarms seem to occur in 4 discreet areas. The location of this current swarm is believed to be on a NW-SE trending fault with no surface expression. They speculate there is a parallel fault just a few kilometers to the east of this one--but they aren't connected.

The southern Cascades volcanoes need as many eyes as possible on them. I sure hope they get some more monitoring equipment near Medicine Lake. That one, and Crater Lake seem sneaky to me.
Cinnamon Butte is noisy off and on, too. (BB station J04D--north of Crater Lake)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

I don't think anyone can say with absolute certainty what is causing the current swarm; it could be hydrothermal, but the experts don't think so. I'm going to trust their judgement.

The swarms seem to occur in 4 discreet areas. The location of this current swarm is believed to be on a NW-SE trending fault with no surface expression. They speculate there is a parallel fault just a few kilometers to the east of this one--but they aren't connected.

The southern Cascades volcanoes need as many eyes as possible on them. I sure hope they get some more monitoring equipment near Medicine Lake. That one, and Crater Lake seem sneaky to me.
Cinnamon Butte is noisy off and on, too. (BB station J04D--north of Crater Lake)

Thanks Olivine. Im going to keep my eyes on that. Ive still got alot of learning to do with waveform stuff and how it relates. Id like to be able to detect any type of magma movement in the southern half of the CSZ and see how it relates to tremor patterns onshore and EQ patterns offshore. Im trying to visualize plate movement as if looking down from space. I want to see if I can actually look at satellite photos and feel what the earth and plates are doing as if I was watching a part of by body get squeezed or pulled.

Theres a rhythm to it all, I know it. Ive just got to learn how to feel it.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Magnitude
Date-Time
Saturday, February 25, 2012 at 05:17:15 UTC
Friday, February 24, 2012 at 09:17:15 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Depth
20 km (12.4 miles)
Region
NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
Distances
5 km (3 miles) SW (217°) from Petrolia, CA
30 km (19 miles) SW (218°) from Rio Dell, CA
33 km (20 miles) S (189°) from Ferndale, CA
58 km (36 miles) SSW (194°) from Eureka, CA
312 km (194 miles) NW (309°) from Sacramento, CA
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 1.3 km (0.8 miles); depth +/- 0.7 km (0.4 miles)
Parameters
Nph= 16, Dmin=4 km, Rmss=0.17 sec, Gp=194°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=5
Source
California Integrated Seismic Net:
USGS Caltech CGS UCB UCSD UNR
Event ID
nc71741671

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
reply to post by zworld

And here is Mt hood yesterday. What I dont understand is why isnt this considered tremor activity and show up on the tremor maps. Its all in the 6km range which might explain it but still..

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk or anything,

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join